Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched Cuties earlier today, and definitely recommend watching the whole thing and making your own mind up.

I think Maïmouna Doucouré's boldest directorial decision is to so centre the point-of-view of the young girls. We really see their moments of excitement, confusion, despair - with the camera frequently even showing us major moments from the protagonist's obscured or limited perspective. Confusion is perhaps the dominant emotion in all of it: Amy is stuck right in the middle of wildly different cultures, largely without the emotional anchors or role models she needs to guide her way through a young adolescence. Like everyone, she rebels against tradition - but she has nobody to tell her what is or isn't too far.

Are some of the scenes provocative? Undoubtedly - in a healthier critical discourse, there'd be a worthwhile conversation to be had about how we represent the gross sexualisation of children on screen (if it all). But this is far from neutral in its view. The climactic and immediately controversial dance scene in particular is not glibly filmed by any stretch of the imagination: we stay with the point-of-view of the girls, but the film leaves little ambiguity about how everyone else is viewing it. Crucially,
    it's also far from a scene of triumph - quite the opposite. It's a moment of emotional reckoning and profound discomfort, and Amy realising the enormity of her actions (to the film's credit, she is not portrayed as some pure slice of corrupted childhood innocence. She's an absolute brat in many respects - including one particularly shocking act near the film's conclusion - even when her motivations are clearly understandable)

The film IMO leaves no doubt about when these girls are happiest: those moments when they're allowed be kids, not being forced to become adults before their time.
    A transcendent final shot - easily the strongest moment in the film - underscores this in no uncertain terms.

If there's anything to critique about it, it's that a lot of the film's coming-of-age themes are quite familiar: it doesn't quite reach the heights of Celine Sciamma's Water Lillies, Tomboy or Girlhood, for example, which were all exemplary and stylish portraits of teenagers growing up in modern France. Doucouré's style doesn't feel quite as evolved or confident as Sciamma's yet. But this is a very assured debut feature: she's a worthwhile voice to have in indie French cinema, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she has to say next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Watched Cuties earlier today, and definitely recommend watching the whole thing and making your own mind up.

I think Maïmouna Doucouré's boldest directorial decision is to so centre the point-of-view of the young girls. We really see their moments of excitement, confusion, despair - with the camera frequently even showing us major moments from the protagonist's obscured or limited perspective. Confusion is perhaps the dominant emotion in all of it: Amy is stuck right in the middle of wildly different cultures, largely without the emotional anchors or role models she needs to guide her way through a young adolescence. Like everyone, she rebels against tradition - but she has nobody to tell her what is or isn't too far.

Are some of the scenes provocative? Undoubtedly - in a healthier critical discourse, there'd be a worthwhile conversation to be had about how we represent the gross sexualisation of children on screen (if it all). But this is far from neutral in its view. The climactic and immediately controversial dance scene in particular is not glibly filmed by any stretch of the imagination: we stay with the point-of-view of the girls, but the film leaves little ambiguity about how everyone else is viewing it. Crucially,
    it's also far from a scene of triumph - quite the opposite. It's a moment of emotional reckoning and profound discomfort, and Amy realising the enormity of her actions (to the film's credit, she is not portrayed as some pure slice of corrupted childhood innocence. She's an absolute brat in many respects - including one particularly shocking act near the film's conclusion - even when her motivations are clearly understandable)

The film IMO leaves no doubt about when these girls are happiest: those moments when they're allowed be kids, not being forced to become adults before their time.
    A transcendent final shot - easily the strongest moment in the film - underscores this in no uncertain terms.

If there's anything to critique about it, it's that a lot of the film's coming-of-age themes are quite familiar: it doesn't quite reach the heights of Celine Sciamma's Water Lillies, Tomboy or Girlhood, for example, which were all exemplary and stylish portraits of teenagers growing up in modern France. Doucouré's style doesn't feel quite as evolved or confident as Sciamma's yet. But this is a very assured debut feature: she's a worthwhile voice to have in indie French cinema, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she has to say next.

Completely agree with your 2nd spoiler.
    Absolutely loved that scene. Unbridled joy of being just a child again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    My prediction is we won't see anyone die and we won't see blood and body parts.

I'd have thought the same alright, but Spielberg apparently told them not to do a "kiddy version". We'll see in a few days I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

seligehgit wrote: »
    Deadwind is a continuance of the scandinavian noir excellence.

A Finnish production with two great leads.

The female lead reminds one of Saga Noren.

There are elements of Forbrydelsen and the original millennium trilogy.

Thanks for the endorsement; I had tired of much of the scandi-noir knocking around, and there hadn't been much reviews about this at the time I had looked at the blurb about it, but I see it's 81% on RT now, with other sites giving it good reviews as well.
    (Cardinal, set in Ontario, is very scandi-noirish if you can track it down, with 87% on RT)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

seligehgit wrote: »
    Deadwind is a continuance of the scandinavian noir excellence.

A Finnish production with two great leads.

The female lead reminds one of Saga Noren.

There are elements of Forbrydelsen and the original millennium trilogy.

Millennium trilogy? I've not familiar with that, is it known as something else?

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Millennium trilogy? I've not familiar with that, is it known as something else?

Nate

The Stieg Larsson book trilogy made into a film trilogy (in Swedish). Daniel Craig was in the remake of the first adaptation, Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The Stieg Larsson book trilogy made into a film trilogy (in Swedish). Daniel Craig was in the remake of the first adaptation, Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.

Ah yeah, of course. I saw them, just memory fading in old age :)

Thanks for the other recommendation, I love a bit of scandi noir.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Michael McIntyre: Showman
    Charming comic Michael McIntyre talks family, technology, sharks, accents and the time he confused himself for a world leader in this stand-up special

Gogglebox 4 seasons
    A diverse cast of armchair critics deliver their hot takes on TV programs like "Britain's Got Talent," "Twin Peaks," "The Nightly Show" and more

Hope Frozen: A Quest to Live Twice
    A Thai scientist and his family decide to cryonically freeze their cherished, dying toddler. This heartfelt documentary follows their journey.

Izzy's Koala World season 1
    Young koala caretaker Izzy Bee and her family rescue cuddly creatures in need and help them head back into the wild on Australia's Magnetic Island.

Beyond Scared Straight Season 1
    Troubled teens get a dose of prison life by interacting with hardened inmates who try to intervene before the wayward kids land in jail themselves.

Taco Chronicles season 2
    Many of the most popular taco styles have long, rich, little-known histories. Explore some of them in this eye-opening, mouth-watering food adventure.

U Want Me 2 Kill Him?
    After falling for a woman in a chat room and befriending her brother, a teen plots revenge when he learns she's been killed by her violent boyfriend.

Northmen - A Viking Saga
    When a storm destroys their boat, a band of Vikings gets stranded behind enemy lines, and a desperate race for their lives begins.

A Nice Girl Like You
    A violinist sets out to prove she's not tightly wound between the sheets by tackling a list of everything she hasn't experienced in the world of sex.

Judy & Punch
    After her violent, boozy husband Punch lashes out and wrecks her life, gifted puppeteer Judy teams up with a band of outcasts to exact revenge

Misfits all seasons back up
    After being sentenced to six weeks of community service, five ne'er-do-well teens discover that a freak storm has given them superpowers.

Alice Upside Down
    Six years after her mom's death, Alice McKinley's dad moves the family to a new town, where an unlikely source offers the shy 11-year-old some help.

Racing Stripes
    Kindhearted Stripes has spent his whole life thinking he's a thoroughbred horse. When he learns he's actually a zebra, he decides he'll race anyway.

The Universe Season 1
    Discover the secrets of the universe in this series that pairs animation with insights on distant planets, black holes and other celestial marvels

Intervention Season 1
    The addicts profiled in this Emmy-winning series believe they are being filmed for a documentary until their loved ones stage dramatic interventions.

Ancient Aliens Season 1
    Were ancient humans really behind some of the most important technological advances in civilized history, or did they have extraterrestrial help?

America's Book of Secrets Season 1
    This engaging documentary series shares the surprising backstories of familiar institutions like the Pentagon, West Point and the Playboy Mansion

60 Days In Season 1
    To root out corruption and crime inside Indiana's Clark County Jail, Sheriff Jamey Noel recruits civilians to infiltrate the prison undercover.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Addle wrote: »
    Agree. I didn’t like it. Unnecessarily crude in a way that just wasn’t funny.

The psychiatrist is hilarious. Best character :D

The Devil All The Time
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/sep/13/the-devil-all-the-time-review-antonio-campos-netflix-tom-holland-riley-keough-robert-pattinson-bill-skarsgard
    Sinister characters converge around a young man devoted to protecting those he loves in a postwar backwoods town teeming with corruption and brutality.

Challenger
    Engineers, officials and the crew members' families provide their perspective on the 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger disaster and its aftermath

Criminal: UK season 2
    Within the walls of an interrogation room and with time running out, London investigators go after three suspects, each accused of a grievous crime

Ip Man
    An occupying Japanese general challenges Chinese men to duels to prove the superiority of the Japanese, but Ip Man refuses to fight -- at first.

Ip Man 2
    New in Hong Kong, martial arts instructor Ip Man perseveres and retaliates against his rivals' opposition to the Wing Chun fighting style he teaches.

The Paramedic (spainish)
    Unable to face his new reality in a wheelchair, Ángel develops a deadly obsession with the woman who left him and unleashes a sinister revenge plot.

MeatEater season 3
    Hunter, author, cook and conservationist Steven Rinella treks into the world's most remote, beautiful regions, bringing game meat from field to table.

Signs (Znaki) season 2
    When a young woman's murder shows similarities to a decade-old cold case, a new police commander must break the silence permeating an Owl Mountain town.

Dr Jason Leong Hashtag Blessed
    In this stand-up special, former doctor Jason Leong gives his diagnoses on the nonsense of traditional healers, business-class show-offs and more.

Sing On! season 1
    In this fun, fast-paced music contest hosted by Tituss Burgess, players sing their hearts out and try to hit the right notes to win up to $60,000.

Baby season 3
    Fed up with their families and classmates, two teen girls from a wealthy part of Rome are drawn to the city's underworld and start leading double lives.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I watched Michael McIntyre's comedy show. If you are a fan of his subject matters and kind of humour I recommend it, found it very very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I watched Michael McIntyre's comedy show. If you are a fan of his subject matters and kind of humour I recommend it, found it very very funny.

I hope it's not actually called comedy show, because that'd be false advertising, he is awful.

I hope it's not actually called comedy show, because that'd be false advertising, he is awful.

each to their own I guess. I find him very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

each to their own I guess. I find him very funny.

Saw him live last year in 3 Arena. He was only on for about 20 minutes.
    Absolutely brilliant.

i just can't get passed he's accent , its scratch down a chalkboard

peteeeed wrote: »
    i just can't get passed he's accent , its scratch down a chalkboard

I guess it helps that I'm a foreigner, so accents not an issue, as long as I can understand them. But thank God for subtitles anyway!! :D

I guess it helps that I'm a foreigner, so accents not an issue, as long as I can understand them. But thank God for subtitles anyway!! :D

i could turn the sound off and watch the subtitles :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

As far as British comedians go I wouldn't have thought Michael McEntire had much of an accent? He's just sort of posh?

As far as British comedians go I wouldn't have thought Michael McEntire had much of an accent? He's just sort of posh?

just annoys me but so does hugh grant so it might be the toff english accent thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

just annoys me but so does hugh grant so it might be the toff english accent thing

The home counties don't you know.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Has anyone watched a little animated show recently added called "close enough" it is surprisingly excellent and fun!
    One of the people behind it had another animated show called "regular show" which is even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

The Universe, Season 2 Episode 1, opening narration:

"Are there planets beyond our solar system? It's a question few have dared to probe."

And, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I can’t wait to watch the challenger documentary(which I hadn’t realised was four parts and not one) later on. I mean I’ve read the report of the accident over the years and know most of the stories behind this awful tragedy and I saw Dick Scobbies wife in the trailer and hopefully they have more than just Alan McDonald from Morton Thiokol(he’s a legend in his own right but hopefully we get more) and their take on that part of it. I’ll stop because I could keep rambling on about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The Devil All The Time
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/sep/13/the-devil-all-the-time-review-antonio-campos-netflix-tom-holland-riley-keough-robert-pattinson-bill-skarsgard
    Sinister characters converge around a young man devoted to protecting those he loves in a postwar backwoods town teeming with corruption and brutality.

Challenger
    Engineers, officials and the crew members' families provide their perspective on the 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger disaster and its aftermath

Criminal: UK season 2
    Within the walls of an interrogation room and with time running out, London investigators go after three suspects, each accused of a grievous crime

Ip Man
    An occupying Japanese general challenges Chinese men to duels to prove the superiority of the Japanese, but Ip Man refuses to fight -- at first.

Ip Man 2
    New in Hong Kong, martial arts instructor Ip Man perseveres and retaliates against his rivals' opposition to the Wing Chun fighting style he teaches.

The Paramedic (spainish)
    Unable to face his new reality in a wheelchair, Ángel develops a deadly obsession with the woman who left him and unleashes a sinister revenge plot.

MeatEater season 3
    Hunter, author, cook and conservationist Steven Rinella treks into the world's most remote, beautiful regions, bringing game meat from field to table.

Signs (Znaki) season 2
    When a young woman's murder shows similarities to a decade-old cold case, a new police commander must break the silence permeating an Owl Mountain town.

Dr Jason Leong Hashtag Blessed
    In this stand-up special, former doctor Jason Leong gives his diagnoses on the nonsense of traditional healers, business-class show-offs and more.

Sing On! season 1
    In this fun, fast-paced music contest hosted by Tituss Burgess, players sing their hearts out and try to hit the right notes to win up to $60,000.

Baby season 3
    Fed up with their families and classmates, two teen girls from a wealthy part of Rome are drawn to the city's underworld and start leading double lives.

added

The Ip Man movies are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Criminal UK season 2 ,3 episodes in,pretty good to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Criminal UK season 2 ,3 episodes in,pretty good to be fair.

Planned to watch it last night.

Tonight is sorted

100 días para enamorarnos Season 1
    When Connie gets fed up with her husband taking her for granted, they agree to separate for 100 days to see if absence does make the heart grow fonder.

Dragon's Dogma (Anime)Season 1
    Resurrected as an Arisen, Ethan sets out to vanquish the Dragon that took his heart. But with every demon he battles, his humanity slips further away.

GIMS: On the Record
    Go backstage with beloved rap superstar Gims in the year leading up to his major 2019 Stade de France performance in this up-close documentary.

Horrid Henry's Gross Day Out
    Worlds collide when Henry makes plans to spend Saturday on the sofa watching a "Gross Class Zero" marathon -- and his favorite characters come to life!

The Last Word
    Suddenly a widow, a woman rekindles her thirst for life by becoming a eulogist while navigating the existential landscape of death, grief and love.

Residue
    A young screenwriter returns to his hometown to write a script based on his childhood and discovers his neighborhood has been gentrified.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm 27 years behind but I watched Schindler's List last night on Netflix for the first time and thought it was fantastic.
    'm sure most have already seen it but if you haven't its about a german industrialist who hires jews from the Krakow ghetto to work in his newly acquired enamelware factory because they're cheap labour and eventually changes from an exploitationist to someone who tries to save his workforce for the right reasons.

It was such a good film.I'd been to a lot of the locations used in the film schindler's factory,auschwitz,krakow itself and it was mad to see the events of the film played out in familiar places. I found parts of it very upsetting but it ended well while still showing the horrors of the war.
    Ralph Fiennes as Amon Goeth was outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Watched the first 3 episodes last night of the Challenger documentary, very well put together and at only 4 episodes long it moves at a nice pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Watched the first 3 episodes last night of the Challenger documentary, very well put together and at only 4 episodes long it moves at a nice pace.
    I don't know if they mention him in it, but Richard Feynman's minority report on the disaster is required reading at many engineering colleges. It's quite an accessible read.
    https://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/51-l/docs/rogers-commission/Appendix-F.txt

Advertisement