Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched The Babysitter: Killer Queen last night and it was grand, though not as good as the first. I rewatched the first film a few days ago as a bit of a refresher and it holds up surprisingly well on rewatching. The sequel struggles a bit with the new characters it adds, and the script is a bit rough around the edges (the bits with the dads could have been shorter IMO, though that might have impacted the pacing) and the CGI at a couple of points was pretty ropey. But it was overall daft and fun, with occasionally very funny moments (
    John's "hammertime" bit and Max's flashback were both great
    ), so it delivered what I expected.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Has anyone actually watched Cuties yet? After all the controversy I saw stirred up about the game Last of Us 2 before its release and what actually came out, I've grown a little suss about internet generated outrages about things people haven't actually seen.

Any reviews I've seen from people who have actually watched it are good. It got glowing reviews out of Sundance and there was zero controversy until Nerflix released that stupid poster. If you look on twitter or any other social media, it's a very specific type of person driving the outrage and a very specific type of person blindly picking it up and carrying it on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the Cuties outrage sets off lots of alarm bells for me. No question that the initial poster was awful, but the whole Qanon-adjacent 'everyone is a pedophile!' crowd seem to have seriously worked to amplify the outrage about the film itself. This NYT piece is worth a read about how the conspiracy theorists are working overtime to hijack the otherwise unobjectionable 'save the children' style campaigning with wild-eyed hysteria. Critical response to the film seems generally positive, so will give it a gander soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Any reviews I've seen from people who have actually watched it are good. It got glowing reviews out of Sundance and there was zero controversy until Nerflix released that stupid poster. If you look on twitter or any other social media, it's a very specific type of person driving the outrage and a very specific type of person blindly picking it up and carrying it on.

I'm getting a kind of Qanon vibe off the uproar.

Edit: Hadn't read Johnny's post before I'd commented.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nothing in the NYT is worth a read, its the equivalent of Breitbart at this stage

I watched Four Brothers recently, it is so amazingly crap that it probably started life as a script for a Steven Seagal project in the early 2000s.

Danger Close is a good old fashioned war film, much like the Jadotville fim Netflix did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean, it's good to know that as much as things change, the "won't someone thnk of the children" hysteria immortalised by Helen Lovejoy of the Simpsons remains true & relevant as ever. Or indeed the inclination for the masses to scream "Ban this sick filth" about content they haven't even had the intelligence to first confirm is real or genuine.

giphy.gif

pixelburp wrote: »
    I mean, it's good to know that as much as things change, the "won't someone thnk of the children" hysteria immortalised by Helen Lovejoy of the Simpsons remains true & relevant as ever. Or indeed the inclination for the masses to scream "Ban this sick filth" about content they haven't even had the intelligence to first confirm is real or genuine.

giphy.gif

Everyone loves a bandwagon. It's like the sudden outrage about Mulan filming in a part of China with a very specific human rights issue. Like the US itself isn't violating human rights on a daily basis, and that's where most of our Western media comes from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH, there's a stark difference between the stereotypical suburban mom 'won't somebody think of the children?' type (silly though it is) and the current far-right activists trying to sink Cuties. It's an insidious bunch of culture war toxicity being waged by people in the worst possible faith, and it's a shame a seemingly interesting debut film is being caught in the crossfires (although inevitably it will probably get far more interest than a typical French, film festival circuit movie would as a result).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TBH, there's a stark difference between the stereotypical suburban mom 'won't somebody think of the children?' type (silly though it is) and the current far-right activists trying to sink Cuties. It's an insidious bunch of culture war toxicity being waged by people in the worst possible faith, and it's a shame a seemingly interesting debut film is being caught in the crossfires (although inevitably it will probably get far more interest than a typical French, film festival circuit movie would as a result).

I don't dismiss the outrage is being hijacked - in America for sure, as it has gone full dystopia - but I'd argue the bulk of the performative outrage is coming from the Lovejoy types. Even on my own small Facebook feed, I've seen friends and family declare their own kneejerk disgust - and they'd be as far from Qanon types as you could get. Just that typical lizard brain reaction you can chart back as far as Elvis Pressley causing a stir for dancing with his hips.

I don't dismiss the outrage is being hijacked - in America sure as it has gone full dystopia - but I'd argue the bulk of the performative outrage is coming from the Lovejoy types. Even on my own small Facebook feed, I've seen friends and family declare their own kneejerk disgust - and they'd be as far from Qanon types as you could get. Just that typical lizard brain reaction you can chart back as far as Elvis Pressley causing a stir for dancing with his hips.

That’s generally the goal, alas, as correctly pointed out in the piece I linked above. This outrage starts with your Qanon or far-right types with the hopes that it’ll seep down to those who aren’t clued in to the daily twists and turns of the culture war. We’ve even seen it here in Ireland with the manufactured outrage over Roderic O’Gorman a few months ago - a homophobic far-right hate campaign disguised as a ‘save the children’ type deal. It’d be rare indeed that outrage is grassroots these days :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't dismiss the outrage is being hijacked - in America sure as it has gone full dystopia - but I'd argue the bulk of the performative outrage is coming from the Lovejoy types. Even on my own small Facebook feed, I've seen friends and family declare their own kneejerk disgust - and they'd be as far from Qanon types as you could get. Just that typical lizard brain reaction you can chart back as far as Elvis Pressley causing a stir for dancing with his hips.

That's how it works though. The Qanon types infiltrate a legit cause or discussion, i.e. sexualising children is bad, with their own specific agenda, and then you get your aunt on facebook picking it up and running with it, with purely Helen Lovejoy intentions. It makes it very hard to argue with them because it looks like you're arguing for sexualisation of children, or are pro paedophiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Someone here recommended Thoroughbreds, it's well worth a watch with the run time flying by.

Fysh wrote: »
    Thanks to whoever mentioned that Thoroughbreds was leaving soon, I'd been meaning to watch it for ages but forgot about it because it's too far down the list. That was a good watch and a great couple of performances from Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joy, as well as some effective use of what I think was atonal jazz on the score. And it's always a pleasure to watch a film that knows how to tell a satisfying story in 90 minutes.
    McGrath5 wrote: »
    Someone here recommended Thoroughbreds, it's well worth a watch with the run time flying by.

Twas me :)

Last chance today for anyone else who fancies a watch. Leaves on the 12th, so possibly at midnight tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

BloodyBill wrote: »
    'Away' is some rubbish. I like Hilary Swank and shes the only thing keeping this Turkey afloat. Its set in Space but it might aswell be set anywhere. Its definitely wrote and directed by some woke clown...stay away if Space is your thing..theres little or nothing about it in this series. However if crying and more crying do it for you then your set ..Theyve even managed to fit every race in the world into this so that box is ticked...the English guy in it is possibly the worst actor in the history of actors..

Turned it off after half the first episode - awful.

The extended soft-core sex scene is a 12 rated program was bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Would it be better to keep discussions other than recommendations about high profile pogrammes to other threads as a brilliant thread could get sidetracked if swamped by discussions about the rights and wrongs of a film/programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't dismiss the outrage is being hijacked - in America for sure, as it has gone full dystopia - but I'd argue the bulk of the performative outrage is coming from the Lovejoy types. Even on my own small Facebook feed, I've seen friends and family declare their own kneejerk disgust - and they'd be as far from Qanon types as you could get. Just that typical lizard brain reaction you can chart back as far as Elvis Pressley causing a stir for dancing with his hips.

there is a simple observation here, in theory if not actually , certain scenes in this movie could/should/ought to have broken the law? How does such a movie get made with adults directing kids and involving creepy camera shots or without a lot of directions from adults about how the kids should perform when being filmed. It feels off, nothing to do with Elvis
    Contrast if this was a gory slasher movie involving kids, everything would be fake and nobody would be getting killed etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

silverharp wrote: »
    there is a simple observation here, in theory if not actually , certain scenes in this movie could/should/ought to have broken the law? How does such a movie get made with adults directing kids and involving creepy camera shots or without a lot of directions from adults about how the kids should perform when being filmed. It feels off, nothing to do with Elvis
    Contrast if this was a gory slasher movie involving kids, everything would be fake and nobody would be getting killed etc.

So have you watched it in order to form a factual opinion on its actual content? If so, what did you think?

Speculation about what an actually-released film might contain and whether it is illegal (handy hint - if it's getting an international release on a worldwide platform, lawyers better informed than Internet QAnon prats are very likely to have checked it and determined that it is no illegal) is about as much use as a chocolate kettle, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Is Close Enough made by the same crowd that made the Regular Show? Can't wait to see what that's about on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Can’t wait for the new Space Shuttle challenger Documentary that’s about to drop on Netflix. I wish someone would do a documentary on the Columbia disaster.

• Advertisement

This guy (he does videos on the weirder side of YouTube etc ) has taken a look at Cuties and has said it’s well creepy.

I turned off his review - it’s a weird movie.

Also, this video by Folding Ideas is a great primer on Flat Earth and QAnon if anyone has an hour to kill

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

So have you watched it in order to form a factual opinion on its actual content? If so, what did you think?

Speculation about what an actually-released film might contain and whether it is illegal (handy hint - if it's getting an international release on a worldwide platform, lawyers better informed than Internet QAnon prats are very likely to have checked it and determined that it is no illegal) is about as much use as a chocolate kettle, really.

I saw one or 2 of the controversial clips, it was enough to judge that it was unethical to direct kids to do this, maybe you have blind spot here? where would you draw the line?, if its not illegal it should be, especially given the history of abuse in the movie industry. Trying to make this sound like a conspiracy is a silly view, plenty of people from any political persuasion are irritated by this film

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1304587833584226305

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I watched The Babysitter: Killer Queen last night and it was grand, though not as good as the first. I rewatched the first film a few days ago as a bit of a refresher and it holds up surprisingly well on rewatching. The sequel struggles a bit with the new characters it adds, and the script is a bit rough around the edges (the bits with the dads could have been shorter IMO, though that might have impacted the pacing) and the CGI at a couple of points was pretty ropey. But it was overall daft and fun, with occasionally very funny moments (
    John's "hammertime" bit and Max's flashback were both great
    ), so it delivered what I expected.

I watched it too last night, I actually hated it LOL
    The first works on every aspect where this one fails

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Everyone on here has probably seen this and I'm 50 pages late but Minimalism is a very good watch, well worth 75 minutes of your life.

silverharp wrote: »
    I saw one or 2 of the controversial clips, it was enough to judge that it was unethical to direct kids to do this, maybe you have blind spot here? where would you draw the line?, if its not illegal it should be, especially given the history of abuse in the movie industry. Trying to make this sound like a conspiracy is a silly view, plenty of people from any political persuasion are irritated by this film

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1304587833584226305

No blind spot, but also no selective lens on culture (if this film were illegal as you first suggested, a shedload of Americans would be in for some bad times given the number of child beauty pageants they have, amongst many other things). And that's without addressing the whole Pizzagate Part Deux aspect of this whole silliness.

I have no interest in the film so I'm ignoring it to instead watch other stuff. Try it! You get to avoid stuff you don't care about and watch stuff you might like instead :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched Thoroughbreds yesterday evening, was really good though I felt it ended a bit abruptly.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Everyone on here has probably seen this and I'm 50 pages late but Minimalism is a very good watch, well worth 75 minutes of your life.

The director of that has a very popular YouTube channel. I think the two lads featured have a podcast too.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Watched Thoroughbreds yesterday evening, was really good though I felt it ended a bit abruptly.

I think the abrupt ending kind of added to what happened, like
    it really wasn't a big deal to her, what she'd done, she didn't give it a second thought once it was over, kind of thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Mickeroo wrote: »

Watched it last night aswell. When I read that it was originally written as a stage play, it made perfect sense. I think it would be suited better on a stage. Good movie though.

Watched Upgrade also after someone on here recommended it. Found it thoroughly entertaining.

Currently browsing for something to watch tonight. Maybe a good popcorn flick.

Advertisement