Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

Currently browsing for something to watch tonight. Maybe a good popcorn flick.

I thought Project Power was a fairly solid, somewhat original take on the Superhero genre and fairly adult-geared as well, with plenty of profanity and violence.

I expected nothing, but was pleasantly surprised - perfect sort of popcorn movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Homelander wrote: »
    I thought Project Power was a fairly solid, somewhat original take on the Superhero genre and fairly adult-geared as well, with plenty of profanity and violence.

I expected nothing, but was pleasantly surprised - perfect sort of popcorn movie.

Thanks a million! I'll give it a go :)
    Currently watching The Boys so this sounds right up my street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Thanks a million! I'll give it a go :)
    Currently watching The Boys so this sounds right up my street

Project Power is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watch Lovebirds instead. Good action comedy with decent leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Project Power is a waste of time.

30 minutes in and the dialogue is absolute muck. But JGL is making the best of it and it's a fun idea, maybe just badly executed. Gonna stick with it and see what happens.

Edit: Got to 54 minutes and can't take it anymore. Absolute drivel. The improvised "rap" was the final straw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I've just finished watching the first episode of The Barrier. If you like dystopian scenarios I'd recommend. Yes, it's somewhat formulaic, but it ticks the boxes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭crushproof

Cheers to whoever recommended Call My Agent.

Binged through season 1 and 2 over the past week. Brilliant show and fantastically well written with a superb cast.

Ces't Magnifique!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah the Cuties outrage sets off lots of alarm bells for me. No question that the initial poster was awful, but the whole Qanon-adjacent 'everyone is a pedophile!' crowd seem to have seriously worked to amplify the outrage about the film itself. This NYT piece is worth a read about how the conspiracy theorists are working overtime to hijack the otherwise unobjectionable 'save the children' style campaigning with wild-eyed hysteria. Critical response to the film seems generally positive, so will give it a gander soon.

Their is also an element online on the left who are wary to criticise it because they don't want to be on the same side as Qanon horrors.

The likes of Pelosi's daughter and Tulsi Gabbard have criticised it so calling anyone who has seen the clip of the young kids dancing like they that as "far right loons" is as lazy as right wingers saying this is a "pedo" film. Although obviously nuance in the era of echo chambers isn't a thing anymore.

I don't believe the director set it out to create a film with nonce vibes or any silliness like that, but maybe this is a story that that would be better on paper than film?

Washington Post journo speculated that the other night on twitter also tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

donnie brasco added

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Watch Lovebirds instead. Good action comedy with decent leads.
    It's very fun.
    I thought issa rae was terrific she has bags of charisma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Fysh wrote: »
    No blind spot, but also no selective lens on culture (if this film were illegal as you first suggested, a shedload of Americans would be in for some bad times given the number of child beauty pageants they have, amongst many other things). And that's without addressing the whole Pizzagate Part Deux aspect of this whole silliness.

I have no interest in the film so I'm ignoring it to instead watch other stuff. Try it! You get to avoid stuff you don't care about and watch stuff you might like instead :)

Im not seeing the comparison though I think child beauty pageants are a bit suspect also I suggested it "ought to be" as well. You still glossed over the point that there is a sexual exploitation of children in a movie.
    If I heard my daughter was being taught the worst that was in that movie in school I'd be down there with a proverbial baseball bat in a heartbeat.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Has anyone here even seen this "cuties" movie? I've heard it's meant to be much more about exploitation than exploitative in of itself but seems like I've seen plenty of charter around the film - but nothing of it specifically. Cos I'm hesitant to belief the hysteria of Facebook outrage from trailers over any kind of critical or viewer consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Enjoyed The Duchess, very easy funny watch

I watched the babysitter:killer queen

Christ it is very poor. They threw plenty of gore at it but some of the references were hilariously dated, the music choices poor, and one of the fight scenes was literally laughably bad.
    The first one was a lot of fun.
    Samara Weaving kinda looked like she was there she to a contractual obligation.

Lisha wrote: »
    Enjoyed The Duchess, very easy funny watch
    I have watched episode 1 it was ok...I don't think Katherine Ryan is a natural actress, the humour feels a bit poorly crow barred in, it feels disjointed. Maybe it will improve.

It is no motherland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

gmisk wrote: »
    I have watched episode 1 it was ok...I don't think Katherine Ryan is a natural actress, the humour feels a bit poorly crow barred in, it feels disjointed. Maybe it will improve.

It is no motherland.

Agree. I didn’t like it. Unnecessarily crude in a way that just wasn’t funny.

Addle wrote: »
    Agree. I didn’t like it. Unnecessarily crude in a way that just wasn’t funny.
    I can deal with crude tbh (I liked after life especially series one)....but it felt forced, she isn't really an actress imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I can deal with crude tbh (I liked after life especially series one)....but it felt forced, she isn't really an actress imo.

She isn't really funny, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

After life was crude + funny.
    Agree that she’s not a natural actress.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Watched 'Reckoning' today. Cop chasing a serial killer type show, 10 episodes, predictable but watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Watched The Social Dilemma, it’s very good. A lot of former employees in Big Tech speak out as to the role social media is playing in our lives. The use of AI tools to keep you using it, the divide and conquer strategy of social media. How we all see different ‘news feeds’ based on our preferences.

Definitely gives one pause for thought about where we are heading...threats to democracy, and the polarisation of our societies. One of the most alarming segments for me, is how children are being groomed to depend on it & suffer severe anxiety + depression because of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Addle wrote: »
    After life was crude + funny.
    Agree that she’s not a natural actress.

After Life was also ridiculously self righteous and overly sentimental

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Watched The Social Dilemma, it’s very good. A lot of former employees in Big Tech speak out as to the role social media is playing in our lives. The use of AI tools to keep you using it, the divide and conquer strategy of social media. How we all see different ‘news feeds’ based on our preferences.

Definitely gives one pause for thought about where we are heading...threats to democracy, and the polarisation of our societies. One of the most alarming segments for me, is how children are being groomed to depend on it & suffer severe anxiety + depression because of that...

Watched it tonight, it's an eye opener. Definitely one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Close Enough Season 1
    A married couple tries to keep ⁠-- and stay ⁠-- cool as they move on from partying in their 20s to parenting in their 30s in this adult animated series.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I watched the babysitter:killer queen

Christ it is very poor. They threw plenty of gore at it but some of the references were hilariously dated, the music choices poor, and one of the fight scenes was literally laughably bad.
    The first one was a lot of fun.
    Samara Weaving kinda looked like she was there she to a contractual obligation.

Loved the first one, gave this 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched Chadwick Boseman's "Message from the King" the other night and really enjoyed it. A sad loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

pixelburp wrote: »
    Has anyone here even seen this "cuties" movie? I've heard it's meant to be much more about exploitation than exploitative in of itself but seems like I've seen plenty of charter around the film - but nothing of it specifically. Cos I'm hesitant to belief the hysteria of Facebook outrage from trailers over any kind of critical or viewer consensus.

i've seen it without having realised there was any controversy surrounding this film. It's a decent coming of age/rebellion movie to be honest. Some kids want to grow up fast, others want to rebel against their broken or imperfect homes, and others just want to fit in.

Of course there are uncomfortable moments (for the viewer on and off screen), when 11 year old girls are trying to look sexy by dancing in a very provocative manner, copying what they've seen over and over on youtube, tv, etc. or an 11 year old trying to use her sexuality to gain favors without really understanding how or why, just because she's seen or heard it done elsewhere. They're not uncomfortable moments because of the sexuality on display, they're uncomfortable because they don't really know or understand what they're doing. It's just plain awkward and sad.

The camera at times hypersexualises these girls with close up shots and revealing angles, but that's the society we live in and i think is part of the point the director is trying to make in this film.

Film like Larry Clark's kids or Erguven's mustang were much more unsettling in my opinion when it comes to coming of age movies, whereas cuties barely registers on that scale

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

^^^^^^^

Far too sensible and measured a review.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Deadwind is a continuance of the scandinavian noir excellence.

A Finnish production with two great leads.

The female lead reminds one of Saga Noren.

There are elements of Forbrydelsen and the original millennium trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Film like Larry Clark's kids or Erguven's mustang were much more unsettling in my opinion when it comes to coming of age movies, whereas cuties barely registers on that scale

I watched a film a few months ago called Other People, which is about a man moving home to help look after his dying mother, which has a bizarre scene in the middle of it where the main character's friend's little brother does this whole Lady Gaga esque routine in the middle of a room full of adults. The only other scene the kid is in he's hitting on the main character. And a couple of reviews said he was the best part of the film.

Advertisement