Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How is Slaughterhouse Rulez? Seem to remember it getting mixed reviews at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

CastorTroy wrote: »
    How is Slaughterhouse Rulez? Seem to remember it getting mixed reviews at the time

It's absolute cack. Avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

peteeeed wrote: »

Well that is a bit of a blow. Honestly it is getting harder to justify keeping Netflix.

Well that is a bit of a blow. Honestly it is getting harder to justify keeping Netflix.

Using Prime a hell of a lot more than Netflix these days. The Boys, Halt and Catch Fire, Parks and Rec, Homecoming, Life in Pieces...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Using Prime a hell of a lot more than Netflix these days. The Boys, Halt and Catch Fire, Parks and Rec, Homecoming, Life in Pieces...

Hadn't heard of Homecoming, read the description. Sounds very intriguing. Cheers for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not great given the people involved tbh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hadn't heard of Homecoming, read the description. Sounds very intriguing. Cheers for that :)
    I have only watched series one but I really really liked it very stylish and twisty, not for everyone I would say, I think same guy who did Mr Robot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Didn’t realise they had half and catch fire... great show !!!

Didn’t realise they had half and catch fire... great show !!!

Also sounds interesting, but I'm always reluctant to start a show with so many hours of watching (without some glowing recommendations I should add).

Homecoming = 17 episodes of 30 mins.
    Halt & Catch Fire = 40 episodes of 60 mins.

Put me off watching Suits for years until lots of people advised it was riveting.

Also sounds interesting, but I'm always reluctant to start a show with so many hours of watching (without some glowing recommendations I should add).

Homecoming = 17 episodes of 30 mins.
    Halt & Catch Fire = 40 episodes of 60 mins.

Put me off watching Suits for years until lots of people advised it was riveting.

Halt and cAtch fire is very underrated, it’s in a different leAugue to suits. Homecoming is great and you can do a season over a weekend easy.

• Advertisement

Halfway through the first season of Halt and Catch Fire and it's the best show I've seen in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I have my fingers crossed for this - the Battle of the Teuteborg Forest.

Halt and cAtch fire is very underrated, it’s in a different leAugue to suits. Homecoming is great and you can do a season over a weekend easy.

Cheers will have to give it a go!
    Don't know how to multi-quote on mobile, but thank you Elton and TRBD :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I think I'm having a slow day - is that a series or film? :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Watched Julie and Julia, big shame they didn't just ad pat My life in France properly since the Julia Child bits are just orders of magnitude more interesting than the Julie bits in the modern day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think I'm having a slow day - is that a series or film? :confused::D

Ha, they don't give much away! But it's a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yes please!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, they don't give much away! But it's a series.

Ta; looks quite good and might scratch the itch caused by The Last Kingdom for some fadó fadó fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Watched Cuties. First of all, I thought it was a documentary! Secondly, the reaction, as predicted, is way over the top. I cannot believe that people are asking for this show to be banned, and that it's ratings have been jeopardised. There is so much more to the movie than the cover photo and clips online. Guarantee 90% of the naysayers have not seen it. Should any movie that someone finds offensive be banned? Should movies and tv shows about rape be banned because people find it uncomfortable and unsettling? Movies are made to open people's minds to other cultures and other people's lives. Who is to even say that the movie is condoning the sexualisation? As other posters have pointed out, watch the movie for yourself and then make your mind up on it. But please watch it before jumping on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Watched Cuties. First of all, I thought it was a documentary! Secondly, the reaction, as predicted, is way over the top. I cannot believe that people are asking for this show to be banned, and that it's ratings have been jeopardised. There is so much more to the movie than the cover photo and clips online. Guarantee 90% of the naysayers have not seen it. Should any movie that someone finds offensive be banned? Should movies and tv shows about rape be banned because people find it uncomfortable and unsettling? Movies are made to open people's minds to other cultures and other people's lives. Who is to even say that the movie is condoning the sexualisation? As other posters have pointed out, watch the movie for yourself and then make your mind up on it. But please watch it before jumping on the bandwagon.

Tell us what you thought of it rather than what we shouldn’t think of it. Is it uncomfortable to watch? What is the point of it? Are underage people exploited? Big difference between a film about rape where people aren’t raped and a film where underage children act in a sexual way. One is fake and one is real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

joeguevara wrote: »
    Tell us what you thought of it rather than what we shouldn’t think of it. Is it uncomfortable to watch? What is the point of it? Are underage people exploited? Big difference between a film about rape where people aren’t raped and a film where underage children act in a sexual way. One is fake and one is real.

There have been a few reviews posted on this thread already and they all seem to agree the hype/hysteria is absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Enola Holmes is good and set up for a sequel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hannibal finished.
    Now I don't know how to pick what to watch next since there's nothing else on my list scheduled to leave. :)

Just started Enola Holmes instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Interpreter.
    Is a cracking flick Starring Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn about an interpreter for The UN being guarded by the FBI after she accidentally listened in on a plot to execute an African diplomat.

Solid 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Chef Show season 4
    Writer, director and food enthusiast Jon Favreau and chef Roy Choi explore food in and out of the kitchen with accomplished chefs and celebrity friends.

added

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Interpreter.
    Is a cracking flick Starring Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn about an interpreter for The UN being guarded by the FBI after she accidentally listened in on a plot to execute an African diplomat.

Solid 7.

Nothing wrong with a solid 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I just finished Trinkets. A teen drama about 3 very different girl who meeting in a shoplifters anonymous meeting.
    It's only two seasons long and didn't feel madly over the top for a teen drama except for
    stealing and crashing the car and Elodie running off with Sabine

The episodes are only around half an hour each so you get through it quickly.I enjoyed it.Of the 3 girls Moe was my favourite.

Also watched Jack Whitehall:Travels with my Father, I know its staged and that Jack plays up the posh soft character and Micheal the grumpy old man but I really enjoyed it. I laughed out loud at the drag and emu sections and I felt there was a good bit of heart in it when Micheal was talking about Molly.
    I was in tears laughing at Micheal's story when Jack was in the bath about Molly trying to smooch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

A Perfect Crime Season 1
    This docuseries investigates the 1991 killing of politician Detlev Rohwedder, an unsolved mystery at the heart of Germany's tumultuous reunification.

Halloween (2018)
    A masked killer who went on a Halloween night murder spree 40 years ago escapes incarceration, targeting the victim who got away -- and her family.

Juliet, Naked
    Immersed in the fandom around an obscure musician, an academic takes his curator partner for granted -- until she unexpectedly bonds with his obsession.

Sneakerheads Season 1
    Family man Devin falls back into his sneaker obsession after his pal Bobby talks him into a wheeling-dealing scheme to score a mythical pair of kick

My Mother's Wound (Turkish)
    After leaving the orphanage where he was raised, a teen searches for his family only to find work at a farm, where secrets of the past begin to surface.

Rhino Season (Turkish)
    Released from a 30-year prison sentence in Iran, a poet embarks on a search for his wife, who believes he's been dead for decades. Based on true events.

Zulu Man in Japan
    In this documentary, South African rapper Nasty C hits the stage and streets of Tokyo, introducing himself to the city's sights, sounds and culture.

The School Nurse Files Season 1 (Korean)
    Wielding a light-up sword through the dark corners of a high school, a nurse with an unusual gift protects students from monsters only she can see.

Kick-Ass (back up on netflix and highly recommended)
    Inspired by comic books, high school student Dave Lizewski transforms himself into a masked crime-fighter and becomes an Internet sensation.

ADDED

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched Juliet, Naked a while ago and found it pretty enjoyable. It's based on a Nick Hornby book so if you liked High Fidelity, About a Boy, Fever Pitch etc it's worth a look.

Advertisement