Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-09-2020, 15:03   #781
willabur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by coillcam View Post
Finally got my first handicap of 21. Got shafted by the committee according to my mates . The net result of this was to go out and shoot a pb of 99 last weekend, finally breaking 100 - previous best was 105.

The big difference for me was no penalties for the first time and fewer 3 putts. I only hit 2/14 fairways when I'm usually about 5-7. Also managed 2x GIR for the first time.

My target for the rest of the season is more rounds in the 90s. Would be in dreamland if I broke 90 but it's unlikely for me to figure out how to shave off another 10 strokes before the season ends.

try playing less holes
willabur is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-09-2020, 23:39   #782
yes there
Registered User
 
yes there's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy79 View Post
Won matchplay on 19th for the second round in a row

Into the 4th round

Was a real ding dong battle. Scratched the first (with a shot, index 3) were I had a shot with a lost ball on third after chipping out of trees. Managed to be 2 up after 6 and held a lead until 16 were we got back all square. On 15 he had a mmiracle up and down after I was GIR.

17th I managed to scrape a half with a dodgy bogie on a par 3. Both missed makeable par putts on 18

It was a 14 vs a 17 so i had 3 shots. Managed to lose index 1 and half

Bit of a controversial end. He wasnt happy that I still had shots for play off. First is index 3 so I had a shot. Was getting tired but found fairway bit further back than normal after he put one in the bunker. Flushed a 4 hybrid to 10 feet. He hooked his shot miles out of bounds and off he stormed!! Heard he was in checking the rules on shots in play off but I would have won it anyway without the shot
Hey, what are the rules on this. Are the shots reset again if it's a draw after the 18th?
yes there is offline  
12-09-2020, 00:35   #783
Seve OB
Registered User
 
Seve OB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by yes there View Post
Hey, what are the rules on this. Are the shots reset again if it's a draw after the 18th?
yes
Seve OB is offline  
Thanks from:
14-09-2020, 16:12   #784
dan_ep82
Registered User
 
dan_ep82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,171
27 points in Druids Glen today. 4 scratches, few pars and a few one pointers. Lost a ball on a good drive, just a bad line. That got in my head and carried onto the next.

Not my day, feel a big cut is possible there on a good day for me even with some savage pins. Played much easier to when I played a few years ago, can really see the difference in my golf game with it.

Anyway, really just wanted to say the place is in fantastic condition. Last time I was there I was let down as it was a bucket list course but it's now my favourite parkland over Lough Erne
dan_ep82 is offline  
15-09-2020, 23:10   #785
kev_s88
Registered User
 
kev_s88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,448
Played the Monty course down in Carton House last weekend. My own club was having the greens forked last week so decided to give the weekend comp a miss. Had a great time down in Carton, beautiful course and lovely surroundings for a nice walk around (basically all I did, definitely didn't play any golf!!)

The course was definitely far above anything I've played before. I'd say I lost at least 30 shots in the bunkers around there, both fairway and greenside. I'd say i maybe finished with 17/18 pts. Gave up really counting after 9 when i was on 10pts.

But definitely somewhere I would love to play again, when I have a bit more consistency going in the game.
kev_s88 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 08:15   #786
dan_ep82
Registered User
 
dan_ep82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_s88 View Post
Played the Monty course down in Carton House last weekend. My own club was having the greens forked last week so decided to give the weekend comp a miss. Had a great time down in Carton, beautiful course and lovely surroundings for a nice walk around (basically all I did, definitely didn't play any golf!!)

The course was definitely far above anything I've played before. I'd say I lost at least 30 shots in the bunkers around there, both fairway and greenside. I'd say i maybe finished with 17/18 pts. Gave up really counting after 9 when i was on 10pts.

But definitely somewhere I would love to play again, when I have a bit more consistency going in the game.
Played it a few times. Once on the tail end of a storm where my trolley disappeared. Found it 30 yds away in a bunker that could hide a Ford transit
dan_ep82 is offline  
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 16:13   #787
This is it
Registered User
 
This is it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,874
I seem to have improved quite a bit recently, though playing off 28 because I don't have an official handicap. Had played off 24 previously but I was told that was probably a little low.

Anyway, I seem to be hitting the ball far better lately. Really struggled with driver before and while it's swinging from left to right almost every drive even now, I know it's going to happen so I use it and generally land it on the edge of the fairway or just off in the rough. And 5 off the fairway is getting far more distance and much better accuracy. Same with PW and SW, catching it much better and getting good distance, accuracy with them is still a little off though.

Last three rounds off 28

Mount Temple - 16/16 (32)
Moate - 12/7 (19)
Swords Open - 14/15 (29)
This is it is offline  
17-09-2020, 10:10   #788
willabur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 899
Got knocked out of the club doubles matchplay last night in the stupidest fashion ever

Myself and my partner 12 and 11 handicaps playing vs 3 and a 5
Really good match with a rubbish ending

Never more than 1 hole in it the whole way around. I lipped out a putt on 15 which would have put us 1 up with shots on 16 and 18. I won 16 with a par. 17 is a par 3 on a two level green, pin on the top level. One of their guys stitched the flag to set up a birdie. So A/S going down the last

This is where things got interesting.
Two lads tee off first, first tee shot is very good, prime position to attack the green. The second tee shot was an attempt at the green and a lost ball right, so he is out of the hole. I was swinging the club so well all day but in an attempt to guide the ball to the fairway rather than just hit it I left it out on the right hand side and into the rough which is heavy. My Playing partner having seen this goes even further in the rough (dumb as fck)

My partner was pretty much dead, he took a swing and the ball didn't move then he hack it out just forward of myself by about 20 yards but still in the rough. I had a shot at the green, it was in thick stuff but I could swing at it. Next thing the group from behind us which was also a club match play had finished early and were walking off the course. They proceeded to walk through our game, up our fairway while I was lining up my shot. I asked the first lad to stop and I hit my shot which rolled off the back of the green - grand didn't bother me too much.
Their turn, second shot in. The guys from behind keep walking on and into his view. The lad whose shot it is stops but says nothing, his partner who is on our side of the fairway lights up on them, ****s them out of it and there was a bit of an argument, insults traded, nothing physical but unsavory. The opponent who is out of the hole steps down over my partners ball and picks it up believing it to be just a stray golf ball. We told him immediately it was our ball and he placed it back, probably improved the lie. The guy he was cursing out of it laughed at him and said it was a concession of the hole???

What a dilemma, it was such a great match and my instinct was not to win it this way. Plus this lad was going off on one, I didn't particularly fancy a big argument.

Their lad secured a par. I had a tricky little chip but bogey at least extended the game, I was playing 3rd shot. Flubbed my chip and put the ball in a worse place, chipped past the hole and missed the putt coming back. Awful way to lose the game. Opponent was still ripping so we couldn't even talk about what was a great golf match up to the 18th. I know we could have claimed victory but would have hated to win a game like that, I had it in my hands to win the game for the team and lost it. Sickener
willabur is online now  
(2) thanks from:
17-09-2020, 10:29   #789
Seve OB
Registered User
 
Seve OB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by willabur View Post
The opponent who is out of the hole steps down over my partners ball and picks it up
Penalty?
Seve OB is offline  
Advertisement
17-09-2020, 10:40   #790
willabur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 899
No penalty was called. Technically they should have conceded the hole
willabur is online now  
17-09-2020, 10:44   #791
paulos53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 661
I am fairly certain it is a 1 stroke penalty in matchplay. However as he was already out of the hole it made no difference.

The penalty would not apply to his partner
paulos53 is online now  
(2) thanks from:
17-09-2020, 10:50   #792
blue note
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,947
You were 100% right not to claim the hole that way. As you say, if anything it improved your lie. It would be different if it advantaged them or disadvantaged you. Winning is no fun on a technicality. Whenever we even talk about winning, earning it is implied in it.

I lost a matchplay where our opponents claimed the 16th hole because I touched the ground when giving him the line for a putt. Apparently hovering is fine, but touching is not. I'd never heard of the rule and wasn't annoyed at the time, but afterwards when I thought about it I realised he read a dick for calling it. Putting myself in his shoes, I'd never want to win a match like that.

And it was an outrageously high standard game for our handicaps. We were all off low teen handicaps. I'd three birdies on the 18 holes. My playing partner had 2. After going 1 down on 16 we parred the next to go back all square. Then 3 of the fourball birdied the last to bring it to a playoff. Then my partner birdied the first to tie the hole (was giving their guy a shot). Then I three putted from about 10 feet on the last for bogey to lose. In fairness, it was a treacherous putt, you couldn't stop it near the hole.

But in what was a really great match, the guy claiming a hole for me breaking a rule I hadn't heard of, giving us no real advantage sticks in my memory.
blue note is online now  
Thanks from:
17-09-2020, 12:37   #793
etxp
Registered User
 
etxp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,082
You done the right thing not taking it.

@Blue note and Willabur - in both your situations if it was an interclub match would your attitudes be different?

Last edited by etxp; 17-09-2020 at 13:17.
etxp is offline  
17-09-2020, 13:16   #794
willabur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 899
its a hypothetical but I probably would have consulted with the team captain if he was present. Much like bluenote I would not like to win a match on a technicality. Wouldn't get any satisfaction from it at all.
willabur is online now  
17-09-2020, 13:17   #795
hurleronditch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue note View Post
You were 100% right not to claim the hole that way. As you say, if anything it improved your lie. It would be different if it advantaged them or disadvantaged you. Winning is no fun on a technicality. Whenever we even talk about winning, earning it is implied in it.

I lost a matchplay where our opponents claimed the 16th hole because I touched the ground when giving him the line for a putt. Apparently hovering is fine, but touching is not. I'd never heard of the rule and wasn't annoyed at the time, but afterwards when I thought about it I realised he read a dick for calling it. Putting myself in his shoes, I'd never want to win a match like that.

And it was an outrageously high standard game for our handicaps. We were all off low teen handicaps. I'd three birdies on the 18 holes. My playing partner had 2. After going 1 down on 16 we parred the next to go back all square. Then 3 of the fourball birdied the last to bring it to a playoff. Then my partner birdied the first to tie the hole (was giving their guy a shot). Then I three putted from about 10 feet on the last for bogey to lose. In fairness, it was a treacherous putt, you couldn't stop it near the hole.

But in what was a really great match, the guy claiming a hole for me breaking a rule I hadn't heard of, giving us no real advantage sticks in my memory.
It definitely feels like a dick move, but golf is all about the honour blah blah blah which you already know.

In any kind of a formal match, if an opponent noted that I had broken a rule, rather than blaming him for calling it I’d not want to win the hole in breach of a rule and I’d happily concede. It’s 100% your fault for not knowing it.

If it were a gang of lads playing a fourball for a fiver or as part of a trip or a society Ryder cup or whatever, I’d see that as being less officious.

I didn’t really play much golf as a kid, was playing in my GAA clubs classic as a 11-12 year old and my ball was at the edge of a clump of trees. One branch was hanging down which stopped me having a full swing at the ball, so I slightly bent it to hook it around another branch and went to take my shot. Hit a wonder shot to a few feet and instead of celebrating my neighbour who invited me said it was a penalty and replay the shot. So instead of having a tap in for my first ever birdie I was hacking out and taking a 7 or something. Though I was annoyed as **** at the time, and it was a dick move to wait until I’d hit to tell me, I’m glad my first ever birdie Isn’t tainted knowing I’d cheated, even if I didn’t know the rule
hurleronditch is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet