Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

R Kings and other car raffles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

It's easy to find a high end car for sale from a private seller in the UK. All they have to do is check pistonheads.com and make a few offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

unhappys10 wrote: »
    As with any second hand car related business, I'm sure not everything goes through the books.
    Buying cars for cash and getting rid of them within a day or 2, they definitely aren't declaring everything.

It's a licence to print money even with tax, they have close to no overheads.

Buy a car, stick it on website, broadcast a draw and meet winner.

Start tomorrow, you'll have your first million before Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I see the guy that was arrested in Limerick that ran Bawn Motors is plugging a raffle for Top Spec Motors in Newmarket Co.Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Is Top Specs Motors ran by the lad that owned/owns Roskeen Motors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

unhappys10 wrote: »
    As with any second hand car related business, I'm sure not everything goes through the books.
    Buying cars for cash and getting rid of them within a day or 2, they definitely aren't declaring everything.

It's a licence to print money even with tax, they have close to no overheads.

Buy a car, stick it on website, broadcast a draw and meet winner.

Everything is going through the bank so I doubt any of it is being hidden. With the profit levels, and the lack of expenditure relative to other businesses with that turnover, why even bother hiding anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭adam88

If someone is making that much money in Northern Ireland raffling cars it won't be long before certain groups will be looking for a cut if they aren't already,fair play to whoever is running it but it won't last forever.

They said in the comments for the Lamborghini that it was a private seller,be interesting to see if others will be offering their high end cars to them.

By certain groups you mean groups looking for protection money ??

adam88 wrote: »
    By certain groups you mean groups looking for protection money ??

Thats a good point.Be also handy way to launder money as it it a legit business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭TigerTim

How do ye keep an eye on the draws. I only dip in & out of FB & often miss them as they sell out quickly. Any way of getting notification.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My notifications on Snapchat and facebook dont work half the time, just have their competitions page open and refresh it every so often

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've heard of winners down here in Cork in my extended motoring community too, in recent times.

I went onto their FB page and seeing very little activity lately. I wonder is it Covid related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

cantdecide wrote:
    I went onto their FB page and seeing very little activity lately. I wonder is it Covid related?

Scroll down past the first post, which is February advising against replica pages.

They have a live draw and multiple posts every single day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Scroll down past the first post, which is February advising against replica pages.

VW Amorok, Samsung phone bundle, Dewalt tool draw,flying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

sasta le wrote: »
    Thats a good point.Be also handy way to launder money as it it a legit business

Unlikely, high profile business, mostlaundering will be through off licences at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Kevwoody wrote: »

Maybe I'm struggling with the new FB format but I scrolled all the way down and the CRX SiR is the only one in the first dozen or so listings that isn't sold out.

I don't see a post later than the 6th of May.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Facebook makes it hard to see posts in order. It's got some code setup to present you, what it thinks you want to see. You're better off just going to their website. I think they've a newsletter you can sub to.

My mate told me Bawn Motors is linked with Top Spec Motors and raffles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

TigerTim wrote: »
    How do ye keep an eye on the draws. I only dip in & out of FB & often miss them as they sell out quickly. Any way of getting notification.

T.

I think its best just to check their website to be honest, seems to be updated straight away with their new stuff. You can subscribe to their "newsletter" which is for new raffles I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭adam88

Turn on notifications on Snapchat and everytime they post you’ll see it

adam88 wrote: »
    CaB would be all over that.

Same owner anyway as Bawn Motors just checked director

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

• Advertisement

I see the guy that was arrested in Limerick that ran Bawn Motors is plugging a raffle for Top Spec Motors in Newmarket Co.Cork

pinktoe wrote: »

Wrong link...?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Wrong link...?:confused:

Ah I'm half asleep. I thought Sasta was talking about RKings

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000327083914
    As you can see he plugs Top Spec motors and raffles

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000327083914
    As you can see he plugs Top Spec motors and raffles

Is that Stephen O'sullivan who was the director of bawn motors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Why do I get the impression that every car on that Top Spec site has been on a Garda database of some kind, or may not pass a sniffer dog if we had them at the roadside... Maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Is that Stephen O'sullivan who was the director of bawn motors?

It sure is..

That's fair dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭TigerTim

It's a pity or a ploy that R Kings don't but the year on a lot of the newer stuff. Always like to do a VRT check on what's being raffled. Only interested in the older stuff really. Ran a VRT check on a car that had the year on it & the bill came in at 15K. Couldn't afford that even if I got the car for £25.

Liked & entered the draw for the 2 x RS2000s that they raffled

My tuppence worth,

T.

Dont forget the NoX charge on top of the VRT - you could always sell it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Had a look at the R kings website.

Soo its basically an auction website ..

for example

Husqvarna 701 2018 ...they are selling 695 tickets ;12.50 per ticket ....soo they are looking for £8685 ..... the open market value of that is about £6000, (they are probably buying it for maybe a bit less) and if necessary I guess they cancel/postpone the raffle until they have cleared the buying price plus a certain % profit.

nice little business.

Just a few side notes.

- Its a sucker business, in other words, put a prize up in lights (ie. like the lottery) and the pleople who are practically broke will invest whatever little cash they have... regardless of the hopeless odds of winning. I remember when I was broke stuck in a dead-end job years ago ...I was a serious lottery player ..(with my own sure-fire-win schemes and all!!!) I then got a better job and suddenly could afford everything I wanted, I never played the lottery again.

- a related point to this then would be ..... most of the winners must be these dreamers who would have no chance of owning those wheels otherwise ....(highly likely they won't even have the readies to pay the VRT, road tax, insurance, repairs etc.) soo .... there must be a nice side-line market in buying up these prizes on the cheap?.

20yro Johnny on €200/week Jobseekers has no business with a €50k sports car....and could easily be persuaded to part with it for half that.

I know in the T&C's they explain that there is no cash eqivalent prize ... but I wonder do R Kings (or an associated company) make some sort of derogatory cash offer to buy back the prize after the draw ... ??

For instance an identical Husqvarna 701 was won by somebody else on their winners page ...fairly recently .... (what a coincidence...two rare seemingly identical motorcycles on the same raffle website)

Advertisement