Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Movies **Use Spoiler Tags**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks very reminiscent of the giant floating head / skull of Nowhere in GotG, so presumably that's intentional

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    Looks very reminiscent of the giant floating head / skull of Nowhere in GotG, so presumably that's intentional

Nowhere is a Celestials skull, right?

Been a long time since I read the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (tm) but I'm pretty sure the Eternals were created by and are occasionally visited by them.

EDIT: Yup, went and wikied them. Recent retcons have been tying them closer and closer to the Celestials. Perhaps Phase 4 will revolve around a Celestial coming to Earth to judge it.

Interestingly enough, Titanian Eternals are supposed to be weaker than Earth Eternals. I suppose Thanos is an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm pretty sure it's the same Celestial who was shown destroying planets with the power stone in GOTG Part 1. The scene was with The Collector when he was explaining how powerful the stone is.

The Celestial interestingly had a staff which held the stone in place which was shaped to look like Galactus' helmet, though Gunn denied this was intentional. I'm still dubious on that one.

Or....it could just be generic armour that the Celestials wear.

Technically the Sonyverse but a PG Morbius trailer is meant to be imminent.

A PG Vampire film....I'd question Feige's willingness to continue being associated with these absolute clowns.

Hopefully they've used up their blessings from Venom's success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Technically the Sonyverse but a PG Morbius trailer is meant to be imminent.

A PG Vampire film....I'd question Feige's willingness to continue being associated with these absolute clowns.

Hopefully they've used up their blessings from Venom's success.

Always liked the morbius storyline in the old spiderman show years back. Be interested to see what happens with this so I'll reserve judgement until the trailer etc lands

• Advertisement

You have to think Venom has bigger "casual" audience than Morbius. You have to also think it got a rub off of the Holland Spidey films. I know I had a few people asking me if it was MCU, confused.

It's weird wanting a superhero film to fail... but I don't want Spidey out of the MCU, which might happen if Sony continue to think they don't need them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's still a Jared Leto vehicle, right? Don't usually take a dislike to actors explicitly but he's the exception. Find him an obnoxious presence and overcooks every performance; not in a scenery chewing fashion either, at least it'd be entertaining.

You have to think Venom has bigger "casual" audience than Morbius. You have to also think it got a rub off of the Holland Spidey films. I know I had a few people asking me if it was MCU, confused.

It's weird wanting a superhero film to fail... but I don't want Spidey out of the MCU, which might happen if Sony continue to think they don't need them.

They got away with Venom; an awful film with an awful portrayal of I character from my childhood. I don't think it's weird wanting Morbius to fail if it's going to butcher another character I am quite fond of.

Out of curiosity Doom how did you feel about the butcher job that was done on Transformers? Did you want the punishment to end sooner rather than later or were you happy to see the films do well financially and in turn lead to more ****e sequels?

Out of curiosity Doom how did you feel about the butcher job that was done on Transformers? Did you want the punishment to end sooner rather than later or were you happy to see the films do well financially and in turn lead to more ****e sequels?

I could talk for HOURS on this. Technically the right thread too as of course the Transformers had many of their plot points created by marvel and a 86 issue comic run from them :D

TLDR: I utterly hate the transformers films pre Bumbleebee, they offend me on a fundamental level, but they didn't just fund more crap sequels, they funded entire toy lines, got cartoon series green lit, and led to one of the best comic runs of my adult life (More Than Meets the Eye). It was in a sense a golden age, as long as you just ignored the rubbish Bay was pumping out. So that is what I did, I only saw the first 2 in the cinema. I guess I am happy they succeeded, but I'm not happy they had to exist in the first place.

When I say they offend me by the way, I mean that these films were sexist, racist, unfunny messes while still trying to say they were kids films. I am ok with them trying to be different to the old stuff (Transformers Prime and Animated are amazing but quite different to the source material). I'd even be ok with them doing dark, adult versions of the TFs if they pinned their colours to the mast on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

hrmmm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morbius_(film)

so the director of Life .. so that could be ok.. depending on the story he's given
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Espinosa

the writers of Gods of Egypt
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Sazama_and_Burk_Sharpless
    eh.. hrmmm... says they also wrote for the new Lost in Space TV series which I haven't seen yet..

of the Sonyverse (the Venom side or the Spiderman side) then.. the first impression feeling I get is .. somewhere on the far side of the Venom side from the Spiderman side..

could be a surprise in store though.. who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,362 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Scott Derrickson not directing Doctor Strange 2 now

I assume then that they consider the story the most important piece.

Writer appears to be Jade Halley Bartlett. It's her only writing credit on IMDB!
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5272733/

NOT that simple though.. following a bit of digging..

She's not listed for this film: The Turning
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7510346/fullcredits

BUT

Details on two of her projects are in this announcement article for her writing Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness:
    https://collider.com/doctor-strange-2-writer-jade-bartlett/
    Barlett burst onto the scene with her script Miller’s Girl, which was voted to the 2016 Black List of Hollywood’s best unproduced screenplays before being optioned by Good Universe for Bartlett to direct and Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg‘s Point Grey banner to produce. Since then, she has been hired by Universal and producer Michael De Luca to adapt Chloé Esposito‘s debut novel Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know, which is described as a sexy thriller with a darkly comic voice about a woman who goes to great lengths to steal her identical twin’s perfect life.

Bartlett also wrote the most recent draft of the upcoming Mackenzie Davis horror movie The Turning

A horror movie you say? Sounds like the Doctor Strange we'll be needing..

let's see that trailer!

Yep, that's a horror film!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,253 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So Morbius???

any word on reaction from Feige?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Slydice wrote: »
    any word on reaction from Feige?

Was that
    Vulture
    at the end of the trailer or just the same actor?

Probably Vulture.. who I guess could be contained to the Sony-verse if the MCU wanted..

This is the top current google result (not youtube result) when I google search: morbius feige

There will be 8 million youtube commentators now with a video discussing
    in what Sony were playing hardball for was cross over characters from the MCU.

I dunno why I'm spoilering a trailer I guess some people might get a kick out of seeing it :D

What a strange trailer that was. A lot of jarring cuts that struggled to resonate.

I'm not dismissing it as out of hand but it looks similar to the generic vampire action fare of Underworld.

The MCU continues regardless..

There's difference in the feel between this and the Morbius trailer:

The MCU continues regardless..

There's difference in the feel between this and the Morbius trailer:

Ah yeah. The reality is Sony are riding the MCU's coat tails and if people want to lose their **** over
    1 minor villain from one co production
    showing up, that just really shows how much of a powerhouse Marvel is at the moment.

• Advertisement

It doesn't bother me; if it actually meant Feige had a bit more input that's something to be happy about as it might mean we'll get a better film than Venom.

That appearance wasn't the only connection to the MCU in the trailer either, as there's than interesting poster in it with murderer smeared on it.

It doesn't bother me; if it actually meant Feige had a bit more input that's something to be happy about as it might mean we'll get a better film than Venom.

That appearance wasn't the only connection to the MCU in the trailer either, as there's than interesting poster in it with murderer smeared on it.

Yeah, I'm sure if the films are properly connected with the MCU, Marvel will have refusal and insight over them. I'm a fan of fighting games, and the old Marvel vs Capcom team constantly talk about how literally every move, every single win quote, has to pass through Marvel's legal team before it can appear, making it a nightmare process.

In this case if Feige is at the other end of the process the result may be quality control :D

No mention if it will be linked with the MCU or if it will be a standalone.

Shang-Chi

Marvel’s First Asian-Led Superhero Movie, ‘Shang-Chi,’ Finds Director
    Marvel Studios has hired Destin Daniel Cretton to direct “Shang-Chi,” its first superhero movie with an Asian protagonist.

Cretton is currently directing “Just Mercy,” starring Brie Larson and Michael B. Jordan. Dave Callaham is writing the script that will ultimately modernize the Shang-Chi story and character arc.

Well.. the audience really likes Just Mercy from the looks of it:
    First A+ cinemascore of 2020 (people who've actually seen it):
    https://twitter.com/CinemaScore/status/1216063663380946944

99% from the Audience on RT - 'Verified Ratings: 3,954' (who've actually seen it):
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/just_mercy
    Critics: 83% from: 190

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Patrick Stewart said he said down with Feige.
    “I met with Kevin Feige a couple of months ago and we had long, long conversations. And there have been moves and suggestions, which include Charles Xavier. Here’s the problem… If we had not made Logan, then yes, I would probably be ready to get into that wheelchair one more time and be Charles Xavier. But Logan changed all that.”

https://nerdist.com/article/patrick-stewart-declined-mcu-return-professor-x/?fbclid=IwAR2prD9fhumguLz8ndHNDQ8qsh30TjswhqXUTMOCYuDHpmwEIvtsf9qdqkY

‘Captain Marvel’ Sequel Officially In Development At Disney’s Marvel Studios
    The most powerful superhero in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is officially ramping up for her big-screen encore. Disney’s Marvel Studios has officially begun production on the sequel to Captain Marvel (2019), the billion-dollar hit that energized and expanded the hitmaker studio’s young female constituency.

Brie Larson will return as the intrepid Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel, a former military pilot who taps into cosmic energies that make her a powerhouse champion for Earth when interplanetary dangers threaten the fragile globe. Larson’s no-nonsense hero also packed a wallop at the box office, with $1.13 billion in global box office.

A Marvel source says that Megan McDonnell, part of the writing team for the upcoming Disney+ MCU series WandaVision, is in advanced negotiations to chart the course for Captain Marvel’s second cinematic solo flight. The original film was the 22nd Marvel Studios film, but the first with a female hero as the lead title character.

The directing tandem of Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck directed the origin story of the first film (which co-starred Samuel L. Jackson) working off of a screenplay they wrote with Geneva Robertson-Dworet. The story credit for the first film was shared by the same trio as well as Nicole Perlman and Meg LeFauve.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/captain-marvel-sequel-officially-in-development-at-disneys-marvel-studios-1202838665/

Has me thinking they are trying to hold together a very complicated multi-universe story

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Has me thinking they are trying to hold together a very complicated multi-universe story

Due to the writer?

I'd say it more likely that she did a good job, as I doubt they'll drag CM into another multi-universe focused movie (if they have a TV show and movie already focused on it). Marvel only have a limited number of characters in the MCU that can really interact with the Fury and Skrulls space setup and. CM is the likeliest to move that forward, given her relationship with them and the likelihood that Thor and GotG will have other things to deal with.

Yes the writer but not from my knowledge of her ability in putting stories together but from her being involved in the Wanda show which
    may be heavy multi-universe
    but kept for Captain Marvel who would certainly be a contender for
    any showdown needed to take on multi-universe tasks

Bartlett also wrote the most recent draft of the upcoming Mackenzie Davis horror movie The Turning
    A horror movie you say? Sounds like the Doctor Strange we'll be needing..

This film appears to be getting slated in the reviews.

Sounds like
    a script problem combined it being in development for way too long with a chopping and changing of the people involved throughout
    so I'm not sure what that says about Bartlett

• Advertisement

Superhero Landings aren't as easy to do as they look :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B71b-krgpy7/

Advertisement