Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Movies **Use Spoiler Tags**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,426 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Taiki Waititi being linked with directing Deadpool 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Utter Perfection.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Taiki Waititi being linked with directing Deadpool 3.

That would be so wacky that it could be the best one yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I dunno... I'd actually be a bit worried about that. I don't know if Ryan Reynolds' humour would gel well enough with what Taika does. I mean they're both funny and absurd, but just very different styles of humour, and I don't think Deadpool 3 would need Waititi, or vice versa.

Plus Thor 4: More Thor hasn't even started filming yet so I don't know if they'd wait that long before proceeding with the next Deadpool movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd be the same; both absurdist humour, but coming from totally different corners IMO. Deadpool has a cynical, anarchic quality to it, compared with Waititi's goofier, more sentimental approach. I'd say this is just another one of those "Flavour of the Day in Hollywood Linked with Everything" headlines. Waititi (rightly) is a big hitter ATM, so stands to reason every production might spitball him for director.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd be the same; both absurdist humour, but coming from totally different corners IMO. Deadpool has a cynical, anarchic quality to it, compared with Waititi's goofier, more sentimental approach. I'd say this is just another one of those "Flavour of the Day in Hollywood Linked with Everything" headlines. Waititi (rightly) is a big hitter ATM, so stands to reason every production might spitball him for director.

Yeah. Ryan Reynolds has made two brilliant Deadpool movies. And I think Waititi could do an incredible Deadpool movie. But their styles don't work together imo. Reynolds is more of the crude humour side of Deadpool, where Waititi would probably aim at the surreal and cartoony side of Deadpool, and I don't think the two styles would mesh well in one film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I also agree, it seems like a pairing that would look great on paper but I don't think would live up to that. RR and Deadpool are very cynical in their humour whereas there's a touch of innocence to Waititi and his original films all have a big heart. I'd also much rather he make more original films, I'm there for Thor 4 but a Waititi Deadpool or SW film just seems like a waste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup. I'm happy for Thor to be Waititi's "one for them" production if they acted as the gateway to keep creating output like "Hunt for the Wilderpeople". Heck even JoJo Rabbit, which while I didn't like at all, appreciated the authorial & creative intent behind it. It'd be disappointing if he got locked into some spiral of making franchise films. IIRC he directed the finale of The Mandalorian which seemed like a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Seeing Deadpool mentioned and just flat out remembering that absurdly hilarious slow motion scene at the start of Deadpool 1 that just began the rollercoaster of the whole film.

Christian Bale confirmed to be the villain Thor 4.

Tessa Thompson Says That Christian Bale Is Playing the Villain in Thor: Love and Thunder
    Talking to ET in a recent video interview, Tessa Thompson, in discussing Thor: Love and Thunder, the newest Thor movie currently in development at Marvel under the direction of Taika Waititi, introduced a big new detail about the film. Alongside the boilerplate stuff—she’s read the script, her and Natalie Portman are excited, Valkyrie will be the King of New Asgard, whatever that means—she dropped some casting news: the villain of the film will be played by Christian Bale.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/tessa-thompson-says-that-christian-bale-is-playing-the-1842178986

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Bale is a huge get. Would love to see him as Doom or Norman but sadly I feel this will be a one off. Hopefully it's one to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That shield kick moment!

Spider Man Work From Home :)
    Spider-Man-Work-From-Home-header.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I was expecting the post to be that Black Widow was postponed until August.

"indefinitely" pausing is a new one. So far it has been postponements until later in the year. I'm guessing with Black Widow, Disney don't have an immediate gap to release in, without conflicting with another MCU film / Disney live action cashgrab.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Awesome.

Looking forward to Bruce Campbell being part of the MCU now hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I smell a Tobey, Tom and Andrew scene :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'd like to think that all this extra time will mean the next few outings will be seriously polished and well put together, should be no excuses for things like the CGI for the fight at the end of Black Panther for instance

• Advertisement

This has pushed the sequel from "I couldn't give a shít" straight into "ooh. Tell me more".

Raimi is quite the coup, and good to see marvel aren't completely wedded to signing Yes Men and Guns for Hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I thought the first Doctor strange was meh. The effects of the fights looked amazing but it fell into the usual Marvel issue of forgettable bad-guy and end CGI-fest fight.

Even when the bad guy is interesting like Black Panther, that CGI battle was shocking. Thanos and Captain America 2 & 3 got it right (IMHO of course).

So hopefully they will realise that they have SAM RAIMI!!! and use him to his potential. Now is the time to go different. To take chances. The next batch of Marvel movies will NOT take in as much money as the previous batch (Especially the last 4 or 5). By the time these come out, after all the world has been through and changing tastes and attitudes, there will be a strong case of superhero-fatigue (We are all already feeling it).

So factor that in: Come out with an announcement: "We are going to try something different with Phase 4. Each movie will have its own flair and you won't BELIEVE who we are going to get as writers/directors. So, go crazy. Give it to Raimi, Give a Falcon movie to Bigelow, Give ANYTHING to Vilneuve, Give a low-key thriller to Peele. Give another Christmas movie to Black. Give another X-men movie to Ratner (Just kidding).

The MCU can stay the hell away from Villeneuve lol. I've waited a lifetime for a new Dune adaptation and (assuming it doesn't suck) want Villeneuve nice and free to make those sequels :)

Honestly, otherwise I don't see it happening; 20 odd films that have raked in billions, via a heavily prescribed style, is unlikely to make Disney think now is the time for experimentation. I had hoped something like that myself in the past but it really feels unlikely.

Sam Raimi though. That's some coup, though poses questions. Apparently Derrickson left over creative differences, and the scuttlebutt suggests it was down to the "horror" flavouring supposedly promised / talked-about for this sequel. Maybe Derrickson was having trouble threading the needle between horror and the comedy element all MCU films are required to have. So no better director who understands the overlaps between horror and comedy than Sam Raimi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well yeah, I mean they won't. But they should take this opportunity. I mean I don't think the next batch (Say starting in 2022) will take in as much as the last batch. I mean they will still be successful but not taking in 2 billion plus so why not take the risk.

My fear with Raimi is that they will shackle him. Leave him do his thing, Marvel.

Purely my own speculation but this lockdown has me scouring YT for some interesting content.

I came across a channel that debates the depiction of same sex friendships and whether there is something more within the subtext.

Xavier and Magneto, specifically Fassbender and McEvoy's portrayals, was one such video and they made a compelling argument that I probably had in the back of my mind subconsciously, but never outright questioned it.

We've heard the rumours that Marvel are going to try something different when the characters are introduced (actors being people of colour for example) and to be honest I wouldn't mind if they went there with Charles and Erik.

Often these studios pay lip service by changing the sexuality or race of a character that isn't A List, so it would be nice to see Marvel have the balls to do it first with major characters.

I was really convinced by this channel, made by two young lads as well. Really makes you realise that such bold calls need to be made in terms of representation, even if it messes with a storied character. There's millions of kids out there that deserve to see a bit of themselves in their heroes.

Thing is, while I absolutely agree with the potential for Charles and Erik as former lovers, I don't believe Disney have the stomach for it. IIRC one of the Eternals will be gay, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Fact is, outside of America and the EU a lot of international markets would be more conservative. Thinking of Russia and China primarily, and at the end of the day Disney will look to its markets first. Or if they didn't avoid the storyline, they'd do like WB and the Fantastic Beasts sequel and dance around the subject with obnoxious winking and nodding.

I think the edit their films to suit the likes of Russia and China but yes an overarching love story across multiple films would be difficult to manage for those markets.

Which is a shame. Marvel have already queerbaited with Black Panther, Ragnorak and Deadpool (albeit that's Fox I know). It causes more harm than good when, as you put it, they try to wink or nod towards that something.

With the Eternals I imagine it'll be done in a way that they can edit scenes out without hurting the film.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I've listened to interviews with Clarmemont where he has outright confirmed he wrote many of the X-Men as close to being bi/ gay and even trans as possible within the comics code (Mystique was initially supposed to be Nightcrawlers Dad, Destiny her mother, but Marvel editorial had a fit at that idea). Just saying this to cut the "PC gone mad" stuff when it arrives.

It's high time to start seeing actual interesting diversity in the MCU instead of backslapping over that one film with the black lead and that one film with the female lead, but like others say, I'll believe it when I see it.

I've listened to interviews with Clarmemont where he has outright confirmed he wrote many of the X-Men as close to being bi/ gay and even trans as possible within the comics code (Mystique was initially supposed to be Nightcrawlers Dad, Destiny her mother, but Marvel editorial had a fit at that idea). Just saying this to cut the "PC gone mad" stuff when it arrives.

It's high time to start seeing actual interesting diversity in the MCU instead of backslapping over that one film with the black lead and that one film with the female lead, but like others say, I'll believe it when I see it.

It won't matter. It's a nervous reaction at this stage. The merest hint of some diversity and you have folk having shítfits over something that has no affect on them. Just look at the new Dune; they flipped the gender of a secondary character and cue the histrionics because a story about space jihads has precisely one less man in its cast. Christ even Star Trek - a show famous for diversity and inclusion from its genesis - attracts contrarians getting uppity because of modern inclusivity nods. Big long bad faith arguments about how 60s Trek was ok, but now it's bad or whatever. You can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes its a mess but the 2:15.45 timestamp is a damn cool coincidence. Have sound on and check out the Infinity War screen and the original Avengers screen.

Advertisement