Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-12-2019, 11:31   #4681
RedDevil55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk Hands View Post
Exactly that yeah. I'm actually not having a go at all, the theme of the conversation and a wider one that's happening regularly is how Mayo club is treated versus county. Brolly was on the radio talking about it at the weekend, obscene numbers being spent on county teams but small clubs struggling for survival and he was referencing ones he's living close to in mayo now. It's great that ye get the bandwagoners going regularly, my county certainly doesn't. It's just how this mass of hype around the county team differs from the indifference shown to club that's the interesting point and yesterdays furore brought that to light. Two of yer biggest media supporters on twitter are constantly bangiong on about this fact, see the ticket allocation dispute before the Donegal game last year, general sale vs club allocation. So ya can point away saying im trolling but it's a genuine topic
Yourself and Joe Brolly certainly love talking about Mayo football, that's for sure.
Advertisement
03-12-2019, 11:42   #4682
irishgeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil55 View Post
According to the Mayo News today, O'Donoghue missed the club game through injury and was attending a medical assessment in Castlebar. So it looks like the mob can put their pitchforks away!
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has chance to put it's trousers on.
03-12-2019, 11:51   #4683
Hulk Hands

Quote:
Yourself and Joe Brolly certainly love talking about Mayo football, that's for sure.
My club, office and past course are all infested with Mayo ones. It's kind of tough to avoid tbh
03-12-2019, 12:24   #4684

Quote:
According to the Mayo News today, O'Donoghue missed the club game through injury and was attending a medical assessment in Castlebar. So it looks like the mob can put their pitchforks away!
Ah now, was there ever really a "mob" though?

All people could go on is the Western people report and the optics of that looked terrible quite frankly.

The prevailing reaction from what I could see was people (rightfully) questioning the situation and seeking an explanation. And that is what they got. And everyone will now move on

If it is reported (rightly or wrongly) a vital player has skipped a club match to go to a county "assessment" then it is a very sad day for the club game if this is met with zero questioning.

I definitely didn't see any pitchforks anyway, unless I missed the calls for Horan's head or Dononghue's public lynching
03-12-2019, 12:35   #4685

FWIW - I think Hulk hands definitely has a valid point

I don't think attendances are that much of an issue in Mayo club games to be honest, and its as popular as many counties, but he's certainly correct in that the proportion of those with an unwavering support of the county team but with an indifference to club football, is certainly high.

There was actually a few comments on the MayoGAABlog recently, along the lines of looking forward to January when the "football" can recommence

This in the week leading up to Kilmaine, the Neale and Tooreen playing Connacht finals

In fairness a lot of this might even be "cultural" in a sense, for lack of a better word. I'm based in galway for years now and well involved with the club scene here. Hulk hands is coming from a county where the club hurling semi finals are the highlight of the year, with neutrals galore in attendance.

the same doesn't happen in Mayo (or many counties) so having never been exposed to this, its natural people won't see his point - I don't mean that in a bad way
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-12-2019, 13:37   #4686
RedDevil55

There was a very poor attendance at the all Ireland club finals on Paddy's day this year even though 2 Galway clubs were playing. I don't think you can draw any conclusions purely on attendance when some counties have a streaming service and others don't.
(3) thanks from:
04-12-2019, 10:41   #4687
statto25

Latest from the foundation is an Instagram post detailing that an anonymous letter has been sent to Croke park complaining of the Mayo Secretarys behaviours in the recent EGM. Its beyond a joke now. Someone needs to wade in here now and sort this out. Either there are seriously shady shenanigans going on in the board or the foundations nose is out out joint and wants blood. I don't care which but its worse than a soap opera at this stage.
04-12-2019, 11:16   #4688
mayo.mick

Tim is looking for his 150K back

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-38752369.html
04-12-2019, 11:57   #4689
westsidestory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk Hands View Post
My club, office and past course are all infested with Mayo ones. It's kind of tough to avoid tbh
So you post on boards.ie Mayo GAA thread to get away from them.
Advertisement
04-12-2019, 15:58   #4690
irishgeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto25 View Post
Latest from the foundation is an Instagram post detailing that an anonymous letter has been sent to Croke park complaining of the Mayo Secretarys behaviours in the recent EGM. Its beyond a joke now. Someone needs to wade in here now and sort this out. Either there are seriously shady shenanigans going on in the board or the foundations nose is out out joint and wants blood. I don't care which but its worse than a soap opera at this stage.
serious shady things going, the foundation only started this when a senior mayo gga official approached and told him his money wasnt spent on the senior team as he requested.
04-12-2019, 21:08   #4691
seligehgit

Mod: GAA, ZTest
A motion at last night's County Board Meeting to overturn the exclusion of media from meetings was voted on and passed by those club delegates in attendance.The incoming County Board along with clubs will agree the format for meetings in January 2020.

Common sense thankfully prevails.
(2) thanks from:
05-12-2019, 02:10   #4692
blinding

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidestory View Post
So you post on boards.ie Mayo GAA thread to get away from them.
Its Love Unspoken .
05-12-2019, 18:53   #4693
Audioslaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto25 View Post

100% CP need to get someone in to sort this or get someone to mediate. I don't think there is any fraud going on but maybe a lack of proper process and governance around money spent. It's probably to late to get his money back so it would be best if he leaves it be and become a normal supporter. He is starting to do more damage than good with this suing threat.
05-12-2019, 18:56   #4694
seligehgit

Mod: GAA, ZTest
For all you hard core Mayo GAA supporters I can only highly recommend you buy the Western People's Mayo GAA: A Decade In Review publication.

All for the princely sum of 5 euro.
05-12-2019, 19:08   #4695
km79

Quote:
Originally Posted by seligehgit View Post
For all you hard core Mayo GAA supporters I can only highly recommend you buy the Western People's Mayo GAA: A Decade In Review publication.

All for the princely sum of 5 euro.
It’s absolutely excellent
Half way through it
In fairness to John O he set it up nicely for Horan

I am getting optimistic again too LOL
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text