Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Have Taken Over Carrickphierish Road...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Who d employ them?

Exactly! Its like a comment I heard about homeless people "Why don't they just get a job?". As if its just that easy, click your fingers, they don't even have an address ffs. How can they just get a job. The ignorance and stupidity of some people still surprises me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Exactly! Its like a comment I heard about homeless people "Why don't they just get a job?". As if its just that easy, click your fingers, they don't even have an address ffs. How can they just get a job. The ignorance and stupidity of some people still surprises me.

It's not easy. It requires eductaing yourself or if it's too late for you then providing that oppourtunity for your children. It requires getting a job, any job, for any length of time and getting a reference, building a reputation. It requires getting out of bed morning after morning, it means biting your tongue if necessary.

You're right it's not easy. But it is possible, most people do it. I'm not sure why you feel travellers can't?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PCeeeee wrote:
    You're right it's not easy. But it is possible, most people do it. I'm not sure why you feel travellers can't?

Again, who d employ them?

I'm not sure who would employ them. Perhaps someone with a low skill role willing to take a flyer on someone with no employment history.

My point is it would be very difficult for anyone for the average traveller to be selected for any job if there are other candidates. The average person is better educated and more likely to have a employment history to present.

Travellers must make their own decisions in life, it's not up to me to tell them how to live. However if it was me that that was unemployable I would work to change myself. That is the way the system works.

PCeeeee wrote:
    Travellers must make their own decisions in life, it's not up to me to tell them how to live. However if it was me that that was unemployable I would work to change myself. That is the way the system works.

That's how the system kinna works for us, but not them, the truth is, there's virtually no employment opportunities out there for them, very few, if any employers would take a punt on a traveller, even with a basic level of education, put a traveller name on a virtually blank cv, and see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

PCeeeee wrote: »
    It's not easy. It requires eductaing yourself or if it's too late for you then providing that oppourtunity for your children. It requires getting a job, any job, for any length of time and getting a reference, building a reputation. It requires getting out of bed morning after morning, it means biting your tongue if necessary.

Again, who d employ them?

Maybe if they try to behave in an acceptable manner and take their education opportunities, then the rest of society would look differently at them (as a whole).

If I want a job then I know I have to comply with the job requirements.

It is up to me to change to suit ..... I do not expect an employer to create a job for me.

It is not as if this is some recent reaction from employers.
    It has always been like this and very few from the travelling community have made sufficient effort to become acceptable members of society.

You know what would be good to see?
    Some well supported protest, BY travellers, AGAINST those travellers behaving in an unacceptable manner ........ just like we see from the settled community when they object to the behaviour of certain 'elements' of society.

The only reaction I have heard is essentially paying lip service to what they believe the rest of us want to hear.
    Let us see genuine condemnation of bad acts and law breaking!

Maybe if they try to behave in an acceptable manner and take their education opportunities, then the rest of society would look differently at them (as a whole).

Again, this actually doesn't solve the issue, our educational system clearly doesn't work for them, either does our employment systems, I've no clue how we solve this, but leaving it largely up them, probably also won't work

That's how the system kinna works for us, but not them, the truth is, there's virtually no employment opportunities out there for them, very few, if any employers would take a punt on a traveller, even with a basic level of education, put a traveller name on a virtually blank cv, and see what happens

I agree with you, there are virtually no opportunities for them.

Where we diverge I think is that I believe it is an my responsibility to make myself employable. Any person with a similar education and employment history to a traveller would be pretty much unemployable also.

Anyway, I'm off topic so I'll leave it. Sorry for the drive by comment.

Again, this actually doesn't solve the issue, our educational system clearly doesn't work for them, either does our employment systems, I've no clue how we solve this, but leaving it largely up them, probably also won't work

It would go a heck of a long way to solving the problem IF they did it.
    Obviously leaving it up to them has not worked up to now ..... but surely it is in their hands to make changes if they want to be part of society ..... to get a job etc. etc.

It is long past the time when, as a whole, the travelling community took a good look at themselves and the behaviour of (what seems like) a goodly number of their community, and came out publicly against such unlawful and unacceptable (to society) behaviour.

That would, IMO, be a good place to start.
    Non-travellers might even begin to believe 'they are all not the same'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Waterford Council needs to declare the town a sanctuary for travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I must say, it does seem like it is a bit of a haven for them. They used to say Wexford was but I'd say Waterford has taken over that mantle.

Particularly bad decision to have them on the Carrickpherish road and Williamstown at the entrance to the city. To make matters even worse the Carrickphierish crowd seem to be completely devoid of any respect for living conditions, environment or other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

vriesmays wrote: »
    80% travellers on the dole.

as most of its by choice... I don't see hows that relevant

dole and doing work for cash... they do alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

robtri wrote: »
    as most of its by choice... I don't see hows that relevant

dole and doing work for cash... they do alright
    For

Has anyone came up with any strategy for dealing with the ‘traveller crisis’......it’s been around for decades and nothing seems to have changed. Hey were declare a separate race a few years ago is about the only thing I can think of. Apart from that they are supposed to abide by the laws the rest of us do....so it’s down to enforcement by the authorities in the end of the day.....??

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

vriesmays wrote: »
    80% travellers on the dole.

Where does the 80% figure come from, genuinely interested.
    Also wondered if travellers were more likely to be on disability benefit rather than dole?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    For

Has anyone came up with any strategy for dealing with the ‘traveller crisis’......it’s been around for decades and nothing seems to have changed. Hey were declare a separate race a few years ago is about the only thing I can think of. Apart from that they are supposed to abide by the laws the rest of us do....so it’s down to enforcement by the authorities in the end of the day.....??

Not a separate race ..... but an ethnic minority, I believe.

IMO, at this stage it is up to the law enforcement authorities and the judiciary.

Violent criminals, regardless their ethnicity or place of abode, should be locked up, to keep society safe.

Apparently that is not what happens, as we see weekly, violent criminals, with long records, getting light sentences, and being released early.

While I do not agree with other locales use of '3 strikes' something similar might be needed here to force proper sentences for career criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Azatadine wrote: »
    I must say, it does seem like it is a bit of a haven for them. They used to say Wexford was but I'd say Waterford has taken over that mantle.

Particularly bad decision to have them on the Carrickpherish road and Williamstown at the entrance to the city. To make matters even worse the Carrickphierish crowd seem to be completely devoid of any respect for living conditions, environment or other people.

There's more travellers in bunclody alone than the whole of Waterford . Just the ones here are starting to take the pìss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Vriesmays is a troll agreeing with him on anything only encourages him

Vriesmays is a troll agreeing with him on anything only encourages him

Maybe we need to change tactics, what if we all continously encouraged them, just to see what happens....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Maybe we need to change tactics, what if we all continously encouraged them, just to see what happens....

Would a ‘settled’ person riding/driving a sulky get cautioned/pulled over immediately once noticed by the gardaí or would they turn a blind eye....are gardai trained to be able to readily recognise travellers so that they can be given preferential treatment....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Just passed, and I have to say the gates they have put up really make the place look well.

• Advertisement

Road-Hog wrote:
    Would a ‘settled’ person riding/driving a sulky get cautioned/pulled over immediately once noticed by the gardaí or would they turn a blind eye....are gardai trained to be able to readily recognise travellers so that they can be given preferential treatment....?

Sorry I was talking about something completely different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Who would employ them?? that's a great question that you'd get lots of answers to depending who you were speaking to.

Do gooders Politicians Joe Duffy, ask them that question and you'd get the fantasy world answer lots of people would etc etc etc, that type of answer just underlines the reality and the fantasy thinking behind the traveller debate.

Problem is its like a chicken and egg situation.

Basically its a problem that would need to be broken down over generations, ye cant expect results in ten years by forcing travellers to school making them do this and that and expect results. that's something that would bear fruit in many years down the line but it needs to be implemented,

Dole needs to be cut if courses aren't attended.

Cant read or write then they need to be sent on courses training or dole will be cut, eventually over the years this will be bread into them.

Children aren't attending school? parents need to be held accountable the same way settled parents are.

Basically they need to be forced into doing these basic things to be able to be apart of society

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Who would employ them?? that's a great question that you'd get lots of answers to depending who you were speaking to.

Do gooders Politicians Joe Duffy, ask them that question and you'd get the fantasy world answer lots of people would etc etc etc, that type of answer just underlines the reality and the fantasy thinking behind the traveller debate.

Problem is its like a chicken and egg situation.

Basically its a problem that would need to be broken down over generations, ye cant expect results in ten years by forcing travellers to school making them do this and that and expect results. that's something that would bear fruit in many years down the line but it needs to be implemented,

Cant read or write then they need to be sent on courses training or dole will be cut, eventually over the years this will be bread into them.

Children aren't attending school? parents need to be held accountable the same way settled parents are.

Basically they need to be forced into doing these basic things to be able to be apart of society

I worked in a factory with two sisters who were travellers. They lived in a caravan when they started work, they were slow to get into the swing of things, but when they realized that easy factory work paid so good they weren't travellers anymore. Moved into a house and starting calling themselves different names.

I suppose the fact that they actually looked for work and moved out of caravans meant that they wanted a different life for themselves!

My point is, if they want to get a job the work is there i think.

They d hardly turn to crime, would they?

But is it really, are we really open to employing travellers in great numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I worked in a factory with two sisters who were travellers. They lived in a caravan when they started work, they were slow to get into the swing of things, but when they realized that easy factory work paid so good they weren't travellers anymore. Moved into a house and starting calling themselves different names.

I suppose the fact that they actually looked for work and moved out of caravans meant that they wanted a different life for themselves!

That's kinda the point i was trying to make, slowly but surely they'll realise this aint so bad, but it would take time.

This could be perceived as forced integration, its not, they can still beat tin cans in their back garden but they might give up at 21.30 or 10.00 and say feck this for a game of snooker mary I'm up for work tomorrow and its my 6 month review gotta be sharp for tomorrow!!!

Instead of ye know what, ive nothing doing tomorrow lets head over to Tesco and get a slab of cans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/10/22/traveller-accommodation-waterford/?fbclid=IwAR2Y_6HBP0ehIZkyRPv-WVxpLtCujjnNtY1WLBTATM8W28v2bY7cpnKJwN4

Waterford councillors have objected to expanding Traveller accommodation at Carrickphierish on the city’s outskirts.

The local authority had brought plans to build seven new accommodation bays, but these will now not go ahead after being voted down by a large majority.

Some councillors cited a lack of enforcement on people setting up new caravans around the grounds.

However, Waterford Council said it would not remove family members of Travellers from the site.

Senior planner Joe Sullivan insisted there’s a need for the seven bays at Carrickphierish to accommodate an extended family.

Does that mean that they actually intended to expand that hellhole???? At least there seems to be a recognition that it's a hellhole.

So basically everything is unchanged and nothing is going to bet done?

Looks like it anyway. Doesn't matter about it because it's over Gracedieu area... I'm sure there would be more about it if it was in other areas.

• Advertisement

Looks like it anyway. Doesn't matter about it because it's over Gracedieu area... I'm sure there would be more about it if it was in other areas.

Everyone knows they wouldn't put one on the Dunmore Road. I mean they can't even get any social housing out that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement