Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mollyb & ALC's Walrus Reveal Thread

Options
  • 17-09-2019 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭

Welcome to Molly and ALC’s Walrus Reveal!

We are your hosts, Molly and AnLachaCorca, crimefighting duo extraordinaire! We received 14 entries for our Walrus and have spent the last couple of weeks destroying our phone batteries by listening and ranking all the songs. There were some great ones, some dire ones but we had a great time chatting about them and deciding on rankings so thanks to everyone who submitted an entry.

As Stu mentioned in his Walrus, there are no losers in this game, it’s all about finding new music and sharing what we love with each other.

So our categories:

1. Pre-1950’s Song

2. Song from a genre you wouldn’t normally listen to

3. Song to put you to sleep

4. Song to wake you up

5. Festival Song

And this is how we’ve decided on rankings:

1. Both listen to the songs separately and assign a rank between 1 and 14. These ranks are combined to form the overall score. This allows us to rank the songs from 1-14 for the final list. With 14 points being the best you can score in a round.

2. There was a duplicate entry in one category so the lowest score (1) has been removed from that category. Both entrants will receive the same score for that song.

3. In the event of a tie, the song with the highest individual ranking comes first. (eg. Both Necro’s and Baggly’s songs come out with an overall score of 22. Molly has ranked Baggly 14th but ALC has ranked Necro 12th. Baggly will be given the higher score.)

4. In the event that 2 people get the exact same but opposite scores from both me and ALC, both entrants will get the same points.

Our wonderful participants are:
    Banjo
    Barney92
    Ectoplasm
    Green&Red
    Homer J. Fong
    MicksJaguar
    Necro
    Osh
    partyjungle
    Pretzill
    Quickbeam
    Rikand
    sheridan81
    Zaph

Join us at 7pm for the kick off of category 1: Pre-1950’s Songs :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Looking forward to it, can only remember one of my entries

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Should be back from Dublin in time for this I'm hoping. Looking forward to chilling with a few whiskies for it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Forgot about this! I have reviewed my entries.

Sorry :D

(But you set the categories so you have to take partial responsibility...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Ok folks! Time to get started on this one! We had a mix of songs here, some great, some not so great. And a lot of disparity on the scores. There was only one song that we both gave the same score. And one song that I hated and he loved. Exciting times! So lets dig in from the bottom up!

14th Place – Alana Da Fonseca – He’s a Rebel

Molly: Originally released in 1962 so it’s outside the timeframe we set. But it’s a nice enough song. Nothing really catching me in it though.
    ALC: Catchy song, I liked it! Sadly it’s not from before 1950, so it gets nothing from me :)

Scores:
    Molly: 3/14
    ALC: 1/14

1 Point goes to:
    Micksjaguar

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I like that one Mick actually. Never heard it before either :D

• Advertisement

This is the 1962 version of it which I actually preferred. It's still 1962 though. #sticklerforrules

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭AnLachaCorcra

13th Place – Jacques Offenbach – Reverie au bord de la mer

Molly: Gave me chills. Very mournful. Would’ve been a good choice for putting me to sleep.
    ALC: Yeah, this is grand I suppose. Doesn’t do a lot for me.

Scores:
    Molly: 6/14
    ALC: 3/14

2 Points goes to:
    Ectoplasm

12th Place – Bizet - Habenera

Molly: Oddly enough I’m not a huge fan of opera. I can appreciate the technical prowess involved in opera but it just is tedious to me. This song is ok. I know it pretty well. Read the translated lyrics on the youtube video and it’s just a bit creepy for me. Very ‘I’ll be watching you’ type song.
    ALC: Really like it, but I’m not going to give it really high marks just because I’m looking more for songs I haven’t heard before.

Scores:
    Molly: 2/14
    ALC: 7/14

3 Points goes to:
    Barney92

Gaah, can't listen to any tunes as I'm doing the kids homework, but following along while pretending to care about Autumn themed poems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I almost forgot the reveal - lovely choices so far.

• Advertisement

11th Place – The DeZurik Sisters – I Left Her Standing There

Molly: WHAT THE ****. I love the harmonies and I actually really like the lyrics. But the clicking and yodelling and trilling reminds me of Netta from Eurovision. And I hated that song. It did make me laugh though but the good parts outweigh the bad.
    ALC: This is simultaneously the best and wost thing I have ever heard. Like if Hitler had started rapping during a Nuremberg rally. Honestly didn’t know where to put it on the list, so I put it just behind the songs I had really liked.

Scores:
    Molly: 1/14
    ALC: 11/14

4 Points goes to:
    Sheridan81

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Hah that's an interesting one :D

Kinda give me an O brother where art thou vibe

In fairness to the song I did laugh and shake my head every time it came on. But christ I just couldn't get past the chirping.

I'm kinda seeing where ALC is coming from tbh. It's definitely a memorable one anyways :D

11th Place – The DeZurik Sisters – I Left Her Standing There

Molly: WHAT THE ****. I love the harmonies and I actually really like the lyrics. But the clicking and yodelling and trilling reminds me of Netta from Eurovision. And I hated that song. It did make me laugh though but the good parts outweigh the bad.
    ALC: This is simultaneously the best and wost thing I have ever heard. Like if Hitler had started rapping during a Nuremberg rally. Honestly didn’t know where to put it on the list, so I put it just behind the songs I had really liked.

Scores:
    Molly: 1/14
    ALC: 11/14

4 Points goes to:
    Sheridan81

Is Hitler on speed in this analogy?

They do kinda sound sped up now that you mention it. I've no idea how they managed to be so pefectly in time with the clicking and chirping. Lots of practice I suppose.

Anyway, moving on!

10th Place – Antonio Vivaldi – Spring (part 1) from The Four Seasons

Molly: SO JOYFUL. Totally does what it says on the tin. Evokes Spring beautifully. I can hear the birds and bees ffs.
    ALC: Not my favourite ever piece of classical music, but solid.

Scores:
    Molly: 8/14
    ALC: 5/14

5 Points goes to:
    Necro

Now that you mention it, it is kind of like listening to the munchkin's from wizard of oz. Or their swiss cousins

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It never even occurred to me to consider classical music for this round. Doh!

Zaph wrote: »
    It never even occurred to me to consider classical music for this round. Doh!

Yeah I went looking for prehistoric protopop too.
    Alas, there is no cave-jedward and all records of the jednaissance have been expunged.
    Besides there aren't many old school classical composers who have been recorded conducting their own pieces. Surely they won't let a cover win....? :)

• Advertisement

9th Place – Louis Jordan – Let The Good Times Roll

Molly: Oh this is a fun song. I do like this. It’s a foot tapper and so simple you could have the lyrics remembered within a few plays of it. Puts a smile on my face every time I hear it.
    ALC: Wanted to like this, but it didn’t do much for me.

Scores:
    Molly: 11/14
    ALC: 2/14

6 Points goes to:
    Zaph

I pretty much forgot all classical/opera stuff as well. Though I'm a bit of a philistine when it comes to both anyway, I badly need to educate myself more!

I was focussing more on American standards, but in the process went through a good few moments of "oh surely this song was...*googles*...released in 1951. Of course it was".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Damn you Molly for ranking the Cackle Sisters so low! They were better than The Beatles don't you know!

Last two vids haven't played for me btw

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Is that Louis Jourdan song the one The Animals covered?

(Vid doesn't play).

Also, Louis Jourdan is a VERY sexy man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

osh wrote: »
    Last two vids haven't played for me btw

Yeah they aren't linked correctly - just put in the numbered bit between the youtube enclosure thingy. If that makes sense An Lacha

Love that Louis Jordan tune. Think the Blues Brothers listen to it with trains going past as they try to sleep. Ooooold memories.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Is that Louis Jourdan song the one The Animals covered?

(Vid doesn't play).

Also, Louis Jourdan is a VERY sexy man!

I would not describe the man shown in that video as sexy

Pretzill wrote: »
    Yeah they aren't linked correctly - just put in the numbered bit between the youtube enclosure thingy. If that makes sense An Lacha

Yep, Molly's given me the shared links instead of the full link. Louis Jordan should be fixed, I'll repost the Vivaldi now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Banjo wrote: »
    Love that Louis Jordan tune. Think the Blues Brothers listen to it with trains going past as they try to sleep. Ooooold memories.

Yep, it's the scene where Elwood brings Jake to his apartment and as he's making toast Jake crashes out on his bed.

Advertisement