Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mollyb & ALC's Walrus Reveal Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm here to chew bubblegum and listen to some music.

And I'm all outta bubblegum :)

(Working, but on lunch till 7.45)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Category 3: Songs to go to sleep to

Another great list of songs for this category with a very surprising top 3. Lots of controversy in this category between the mods but there were a few songs we were in perfect agreement on and most songs we were close to agreement. Unfortunately one of the ones we both agreed 100% on is the last place song. So without further ado, in last place:

14th Place – One Dove - Transient Truth

Molly: Bit trippy, doesn’t really do anything for me. It really lost me in the first minute with that whiney repeating alarm. Don’t like the digeridoo thing in the middle of the song and it just goes nowhere.

ALC: Relaxing enough in its own way I suppose. Not for me though.

Scores:
    Molly: 1/14
    ALC: 1/14

1 point to:
    Zaph

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Again no idea what I entered

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Green&Red wrote:

I remember what I entered... I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Green&Red wrote: »

Nor I. I should really save my sent items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭AnLachaCorcra

13th Place – Neil Young - The Ways of Love

Molly: Well of course I know Neil Young. He sang, em, that song. Sweet Caroline. Right? This song just did nothing for me. Meh.

ALC: I want to like Neil Young. I like Bob Dylan, so it’s not like I can’t get behind boring folky Americans from the 60s.But he generally does nothin for me, and this is the same. I technically know that his stuff is good, it just doesn’t click with me.

Scores:
    Molly: 3/14
    ALC: 3/14

2 points to:
    Quickbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Surely the less a song does for you the easier it is to fall asleep to so the more points you should give it?

(Cards on the table, I don't fall asleep to music except for one band I was saving for the last category, so my choice is a song I keep sleeping through, and is basically cheating.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Well of course I know Neil Young. He sang, em, that song. Sweet Caroline. Right?

giphy.gif

Joint 11th Place – Nick Drake - River Man

Molly: I know OF Nick Drake, just never listened to any of his stuff. And after this? I dunno, maybe. The song is very peaceful and windy. I’m not sure I like his voice but I can’t put my finger on why.

ALC: This was ok. I can definitely see why people would like it. It’s not really for me though.

Scores:
    Molly: 6/14
    ALC: 2/14

4 points to:
    Osh

Joint 11th Place – Way out west - Tuesday Maybe

Molly: This is an odd mix. Kinda electronic, kinda pan pipey, kinda trippy, weird vocals. Not for me unfortunately. Sounds like it should be the theme tune for a channel 4 documentary on the effects of ecstasy.

ALC: It’s hard to rate this, because a) it would work to fall asleep to, if I played it quite low, but b) I find it kinda dull and repetitive. So, mid-table for me.

Scores:
    Molly: 2/14
    ALC: 6/14

4 points to:
    Rikand

Love that Nick Drake song it reminds so much of Roy Harper's Twelve Hours of Sunset (there's another song to fall asleep to, in a good way)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Molly: Well of course I know Neil Young. He sang, em, that song. Sweet Caroline. Right? This song just did nothing for me. Meh.

ALC: I want to like Neil Young. I like Bob Dylan, so it’s not like I can’t get behind boring folky Americans from the 60s.But he generally does nothin for me, and this is the same. I technically know that his stuff is good, it just doesn’t click with me.

Scores:

2 points to:
    Quickbeam

:(

I deliberately picked a mellow one for the category. He's not boring. I like this one because it has a gentle Balero-esque melody to it. Sad you didn't like it more.

Aww sorry QB :(

10th Place – Crash Test Dummies - Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm

Molly: My problem with this song is that I couldn’t actually fall asleep to it cos I’m too busy listening to the stories. Other than that it is a great song.

ALC: Woo nostalgia! Brings me back to VH1 playing best of the 90s. I like it, but I don’t think I’d go to sleep with it.

Scores:
    Molly: 8/14
    ALC: 4/14

5 points to:
    Necro

Liking how quickly your turning these around. It took me days to get them ordered!

Again, I can't remember what I picked but it better be Max Richter's Sleep!

9th Place – Diego Mitre - Ryujin's Lullaby

Molly: Well jesus it’s even called a lullaby. What more can you ask for? Does exactly what it says on the tin. Creepy music box keyboard and Japanese influenced strings aside it’s an ok piece. Verging towards ‘hold’ music for me though which knocks it down for me.

ALC: Nice tune. Thought it was from a video game at first. Might listen to some more of Diego Mitre’s stuff

Scores:
    Molly: 4/14
    ALC: 9/14

6 points to:
    Micksjaguar

Scores:

2 points to:
    Quickbeam

I didn't know I knew this. My dad used to play a ton of Neil Young growing up. Thanks for bringing this back into my life.

That's pretty but the music box tinkles might drive me mad. It reminds me though I wonder did anyone choose Tubular Bells they're really good tinkles. I can think of loads more songs for this category than I did when I was putting the list together - It's a great category Molly & ALC.

Oh I quite like that one. Definitely fits the category. :)

8th Place – Khruangbin - White Gloves

Molly: Another band I’ve never heard of. I liked this. Reminded me of someone but I can’t think who. I think I’d have a look at them.

ALC: I could definitely sleep to this, but I forgot the song the second it stopped playing. I still think it’s a decent choice for the category.

Scores:
    Molly: 7/14
    ALC: 7/14

7 points to:
    Partyjungle

• Advertisement

I like what I know by Neil Young but he has such a huge back catalogue that there' so much to get through, don't know the particular song QB picked but will have a listen later, before I go to sleep! Saw him with Bob Dylan back in July, he is excellent live (whereas Dylan is....well, Dylan.)

Also bit of a shame to see Nick Drake score poorly again, I only discovered him from the last Walrus (I knew the name but not the music) and "Northern Sky" made me an instant fan!

I do like a bit of relaxing Japanese music too, so am also looking forward to listening to MJ's pick. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I like what I know by Neil Young but he has such a huge back catalogue that there' so much to get through, don't know the particular song QB picked but will have a listen later, before I go to sleep! Saw him with Bob Dylan back in July, he is excellent live (whereas Dylan is....well, Dylan.)

I was at that. Yeah, Dylan is .... not great. I had a ball at Neil's set though.

Again, I can't remember what I picked but it better be Max Richter's Sleep!

It's not :o

quickbeam wrote: »
    I was at that. Yeah, Dylan is .... not great. I had a ball at Neil's set though.

Oh please don't get me started on Dylan. ALC will lose the plot at me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

I can see how Drake might not be everyone’s cup of tea. But I find generally for those that have got into him they love him.

I maybe should have gone with the other song I was gonna choose instead.

Pretzill wrote: »
    It's not :o

I remember now why I didn't pick any Max Richter. The album Sleep is 8 hours long. I saw it live once. Bizarre experience.

I remember now why I didn't pick any Max Richter. The album Sleep is 8 hours long. I saw it live once. Bizarre experience.

A perfect length for a sleep mind you...

Still no clue what I submitted. Usually it comes back to me at some point but this one is blank.

7th Place – Smashing Pumpkins - Solara

Molly: Love SP, not sure I’ve ever actually heard this song before but it’s great. Apparently it’s from last year which is why I don’t know it. It sounds like classic SP to me which proves they’ve still got it. I’ll definitely be going to look at their new stuff. Not sure how this would put you sleep though? Although that is exactly what the entrant said when it was submitted. Lol. I’m still rating it highly cos it’s a great song but it does lose a few places for not meeting the criteria of the category. (#harshmod)

ALC: Kinda ok Smashing Pumpkins song. I don’t know how you sleep to this.

Scores:
    Molly: 12/14
    ALC: 5/14

8 points to:
    Banjo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I keep waking up at 4am with this on the telly and that's how I know YouTube wants me to go to bed.

Advertisement