Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mollyb & ALC's Walrus Reveal Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

quickbeam wrote: »
    Great tune. Always hand in hand with The Sting in my head.

Love the Sting, amazing how re watchable it is even after many repeat viewings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

That's not why it's doomed.

Ö

(Crap joke that would require Vecna levels of pointless explanation deleted)

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Hmmm we depended on the honesty of the submissions (and scored poor oul Mick accordingly). But what's done is done now. Apologies Mick. :o

In fairness '51 is only one year out anyway, and easy to miss given it was Louis and could have easily been recorded before 1950

osh wrote: »
    In fairness '51 is only one year out anyway, and easy to miss given it was Louis and could have easily been recorded before 1950

The state of his voice he might have started recording in 49 sounding like peewee herman but the producer kept saying "one more take, Louis"

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭AnLachaCorcra

5th Place – Ella Fitzgerald and The Inkspots – Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall

Molly: Ella Fitzgerald is another one whose voice I love. Sounds very difficult to sing too. I’m always impressed by the vocal skills of old timey singers. This is a beautiful song apart from the spoken part. Oh god no it was going so well until the spoken part. Why would they ruin the song like that? Ugh.
    ALC: Really liked this, it’s catchy, which is honestly all I want.

Scores:
    Molly: 4/14
    ALC: 14/14

10 Points goes to:
    Osh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Love it when Ella comes in, she had a special voice, hearing her reminds me of Sunday afternoons in my folks house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I really love Ella Fitzgerald and this song really impressed me.......right until yer man with his stupid voice started talking. It plummeted sharply which hurt my soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

5th Place – Ella Fitzgerald and The Inkspots – Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall

Molly: Ella Fitzgerald is another one whose voice I love. Sounds very difficult to sing too. I’m always impressed by the vocal skills of old timey singers. This is a beautiful song apart from the spoken part. Oh god no it was going so well until the spoken part. Why would they ruin the song like that? Ugh.
    ALC: Really liked this, it’s catchy, which is honestly all I want.

Scores:
    Molly: 4/14
    ALC: 14/14

10 Points goes to:
    Osh

Ooooooh Fallout flashbacks

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I really love Ella Fitzgerald and this song really impressed me.......right until yer man with his stupid voice started talking. It plummeted sharply which hurt my soul.

I agree - Ella on her own but those Inkspots could be blotted out :D

Pretzill wrote: »
    I agree - Ella on her own but those Inkspots could be blotted out :D

Hah Ella's' great but I actually like the inkspots too. And I don't mind the spoken part at all, but each to their own.

• Advertisement

4th Place – Fred Astair & Judy Garland – A Couple of Swells

Molly: I love Judy Garland. She has a fabulous voice and her life was so tragic. This is a silly little song that made me laugh. I thought I hadn’t seen the movie but then I realised it’s Easter Parade. So yeah, of course I’ve seen it.
    ALC: Yeah, this was kinda catchy. Dunno how highly I should be marking a song that rhymes ‘swells’ with ‘smells’.

Scores:
    Molly: 10/14
    ALC: 10/14

A unanimous decision by both of us (for once) and 11 Points goes to:
    Quickbeam

The faces she pulls in this video are just hilarious. So brilliant.

3rd Place – Billie Holiday – Strange Fruit

Molly: I love Billie Holiday’s voice. Good song. Kinda depressing. Very morbid.
    ALC: I had never heard this before. The lyrics are pretty powerful stuff, glad it was included.

Scores:
    Molly: 7/14
    ALC: 13/14

12 Points goes to:
    Homer J Fong

Ooh lovely choice Homer - her voice was the blues

Classic.

The penultimate entry:
    2nd Place – Benny Goodman – Sing, Sing, Sing

Molly: Oh I love this song! It’s a belter. I wanna swing dance to it. Badly. Immediately. Love it. This is exactly what I was looking for. It is just a finger clicking, toe tapping 5 minutes of joy. Love the sexy horn section and the bouncy drums.
    ALC: Yeah, it was ok. I keep trying to get into horn music, and keep failing.

Scores:
    Molly: 14/14
    ALC: 6/14

13 Points goes to:
    Rikand

Yet again ALC destroys all my dreams with a poor score for poor Benny.

1st Place – George Gershwin – Rhapsody in Blue

Note: Both the original 1924 version of the song and the 1956 re-recording were submitted but both of us only used the 1924 version to judge. It was just that good.

Molly: Excellent choice. One of my top 5 classical pieces. I love love love it. I sometimes hum this to myself whilst making all the different noises of the instruments. I’m so cool. I kinda like the original version submitted over the newer one. I like the crackle and the older sounding horns. It’s very moodful. I do miss the cymbal crashes though. Especially at the end. They’re my favourite part. The new version is also fantastic though. So dramatic. I almost got up from my desk to applaud at the end.
    ALC: Makes me think of old-timey cartoons. Maybe a disgruntled dog gets a pie in the face from some arsehole squirrel. Top marks.

Scores:
    Molly: 13/14
    ALC: 12/14

14 Points goes to:
    Pretzill

It's a belter but I get a Pavlovian response making me want to drink Guinness and I hate Guinness (about #2)
    Can't argue with Gershwin though

Thanks you two. interestingly I preferred the more modern recording because it includes the entire movement and had more clarity. But I didn't expect it to top the category some great choices tonight. Really enjoyed the reveal, I'm still humming Louis Armstrong.

Congrats on the win Pretzill, and Brucey Bonus for the reveal Molorca.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest, had anyone submitted this song they would've scored top marks from me in every category just because. This song has sooooooooo many memories for me. My grand-uncle used to play it on his accordion all the time and it is just all the warm fuzzies for me. It's a brilliant song too:

I think I've come to the conclusion in this round that while I still dislike jazz I'm quite fond of the blues and big bands. So like I said, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Etta James etc. And Glenn Miller and his orchestra. I'm liking all of these. So I'm delighted with this round and how it came out. Thanks again to everyone for the submissions.

Pretzill wrote: »
    Thanks you two. interestingly I preferred the more modern recording because it includes the entire movement and had more clarity. But I didn't expect it to top the category some great choices tonight. Really enjoyed the reveal, I'm still humming Louis Armstrong.
    Like I said I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally missed the cymbal crashes out of the original recording but it just had a special old timey wimey crackliness that just appealed to me so much. I'd never heard the original version so it was a real treat to hear it in all it's crappy quality.

For anyone keeping track, see below full scoring for this round:
    |Molly |ALC|Total
    MicksJaguar |3 |1 |4
    Ectoplasm |6 |3 |9
    Barney92 |2 |7 |9
    sheridan81 |1 |11 |12
    Necro |8 |5 |13
    Zaph |11 |2 |13
    Banjo |5 |9 |14
    partyjungle |12 |4 |16
    Green&Red |9 |8 |17
    Osh |4 |14 |18
    Quickbeam |10 |10 |20
    Homer J. Fong |7 |13 |20
    Rikand |14 |6 |20
    Pretzill |13 |12 |25

Loved that film where James Stewart played Glenn Miller - great music lots of memories for me too. Thanks Mollacha!

And for anyone who's extra interested, a picture of the inspiration for this round. My great grandfather's band from the 1940's. He's the one with the saxaphone. My grandfather took over the band when he was old enough and both him and my granduncle played in it all their lives. They were very popular and travelled extensively throughout the country. They played regularly on Radio Eireann and I know my aunt has some of their recordings.

490886.jpg

Wow Molly great photo and a wonderful legacy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Banjo wrote: »
    The other guy is dickie Davies, which is the same guy essentially but he works for the BBC.

Dickie Davis presented World of Sport, which was on ITV. :P

Great choice for the top spot, I love Rhapsody in Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Class photo Molly

Interesting looking at the scores there. Quite a difference between you on a good few.

Looking forward to next reveal. Although I’m not too confident :D

• Advertisement

fixxxer wrote: »
    Ooooooh Fallout flashbacks

That's where I got my song from too

Advertisement