Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mollyb & ALC's Walrus Reveal Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

The songs yeah, the movie, nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Whenever I think of The Blues Brothers, I think of this song.

That and the scene with the nun and the ruler :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Necro wrote: »

*Runs away back to work*

Can't find a clip of the Wild Bunch (looks like more of Texas to me / you have no eyes!) But just play it back in your mind theatre...

4th Place – Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine

Molly: I’m so familiar with this song and I do like it. Listening to it again for this allowed me to pick up on stuff you never notice on a casual listen though. The strings are really fantastic and add so much to the track. I heard this song on facebook recently without the backing track and Gaye’s voice is just stunning.

ALC: Classic. Love the song, but like a lot of the others, something I already know well isn’t gonna top the list. If I’d never heard it before it would be the top scoring song, easily.

Scores:
    Molly: 11/14
    ALC: 10/14

11 points to:
    Barney92

Top 3 coming up shortly!!

Banjo wrote: »
    Secret Sheeran fan?

In a previous Walrus one posted submitted an Ed Sheeran song for every category. Or did I just dream that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    In a previous Walrus one posted submitted an Ed Sheeran song for every category. Or did I just dream that?

You did not. It was our mystery entrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You have the honour of being my second walrus so I'm afraid the search continues.

Bedraggled fugitive Banjo : "I didn't nominate Ed Sheeran!"
    Marshall Molly : "ah don't kyare!"
    *Leaps*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Think it was ecto’s walrus with the Ed Sheehan submissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

6th Place – Scott Joplin – The Entertainer

Molly: This was one of my leaving cert music pieces so I know it well. I enjoy the bounciness of it. It was always fun to play. Excellent choice.
    ALC: The entertainer is a great piece of music, but I know it and I’m going to give higher votes to pieces I hadn’t heard before.

Scores:
    Molly: 9/14
    ALC: 8/14

9 Points goes to:
    Green&Red

I dont get this, yiz placed 'sheet music' above the cackle sisters.

The entertainer sheet music was composed in 1902 but just playing sheet music on a pianola and recording it, most likely in 2019, scoring higher than an act form 1938 in a pre 1950's category seems unfair.

And we slide into the top 3 with:
    3rd Place – Caro Emerald - That Man

Molly: Friends of ours love this band called Steam Powered Giraffe that do covers of popular songs in a ragtime/jazzy/steampunk style. I hate them with a passion. This song reminds me of them but surprisingly I don’t hate this. It’s kinda swingy like the Benny Goodman song in the first category and it’s making me tap my feet to it. AGAIN WITH THE SPOKEN PART THOUGH!

ALC: DIPDAP PAU. Wouldn’t listen to it on a loop, but a fun dancing song

Scores:
    Molly: 10/14
    ALC: 13/14

12 points to:
    Ectoplasm

• Advertisement

Lol top 2 and I still don't know what I entered

Was 5th place missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I'll absolutely take that.

:D
    giphy.gif

osh wrote: »
    Was 5th place missed?

ahem............no.

5th Place – Astrud Gilberto, Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz - The Girl from Ipanema

Molly: Nice smooth song. It’s very easy listening though. Nothing really grabbing me about it. Which may be the point.

ALC: I only knew the Frank Sinatra version of this, and really enjoyed this version. Laid back, summery tune.

Scores:
    Molly: 7/14
    ALC: 12/14

10 points to:
    Osh

Better to find out now anyway :) Or I'd be thinking I won it after not appearing in 2nd

Sorry Osh!

2nd Place – Kendal Carson-I Like Trucks

Molly: I’ve never heard of this person before and wouldn’t be a huge fan of country music generally (Garth Brooks is my exception to that rule). I can imagine this song doing well in my hometown. Much like wagonwheel does. I like the sing along ability of it though. I was singing out ‘I LIKE TRUCKS’ by the end.

ALC: I definitely liked this one. You can’t go too far wrong with a catchy sing-along song.

Scores:
    ALC: 14/14

13 points to:
    Sheridan81

Which means...........
    partyjungle's surprise song is top!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Great category folks, looking forward to listening tomorrow in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Looks like we'll find out at the same time you do pj

• Advertisement

Surprise PJ!
    giphy.gif

1st Place – Ludovico Einaudi - Nuvole Bianche

Molly: I LOVE Einaudi. I love this track. This is my chill out music. Often threatened to try learn this on the piano but I’m currently too lazy. This could’ve been a submission for the put you to sleep round and I probably would’ve scored it just as high.

ALC: Aaaaagh I’m torn on this. I’m not big into classical music, but Einaudi is class. I know this really well from all the times I’ve heard it on the classical station we leave on for our cat during the day while we’re at work #goodCatOwners #whyDoesn’tMyCatLikeMe #****Up. I’ve put it as high as I can while still below music I like/that’s new to me

Scores:
    Molly: 14/14
    ALC: 11/14

14 points to:
    Deleted User

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Well done Party and Thanks Alc and Molly - looking forward to listening back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

2nd Place – Kendal Carson-I Like Trucks

Molly: I’ve never heard of this person before and wouldn’t be a huge fan of country music generally (Garth Brooks is my exception to that rule). I can imagine this song doing well in my hometown. Much like wagonwheel does. I like the sing along ability of it though. I was singing out ‘I LIKE TRUCKS’ by the end.

ALC: I definitely liked this one. You can’t go too far wrong with a catchy sing-along song.

Scores:
    ALC: 14/14

13 points to:
    Sheridan81

Which means...........
    partyjungle's surprise song is top!

40k plays on youtube, that's quiet the niche, nice song, catchy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Wasn't that gone on last nite's category (personal choice) but tonites was excellent, really great mix of genres

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just quickly catching up on the reveal now, was flying home from holidays. As a massive Talking Heads fan I can confirm that the version that was originally posted is one of the earlier demo or live versions, it's not a version that would be heard very often. There are actually quite a few versions of the song, including one with a cello. My personal favourite version is the one from Stop Making Sense with just David Byrne, an acoustic guitar and a boombox.

Ah yes I remember now. I first found that song while watching Derek. It had me blubbering like a baby.

*pokes head into thread :eek: walks out*

Sorry been busy Champions league week aint good for me for walrus, after that I regret everything.

Will catch up tomorrow hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I think these are the standings after two rounds...

MicksJaguar 3
    Zaph        11
    Necro 13 
    Green&Red 13
    Quickbeam 14
    Homer J. Fong 14
    Ectoplasm    14
    Barney92 14
    Banjo 16
    sheridan81  17
    Rikand 19
    Osh              20
    Pretzill 21
    partyjungle 22

Not looking good for Mick!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    I think these are the standings after two rounds...

MicksJaguar 3
    Zaph        11
    Necro 13 
    Green&Red 13
    Quickbeam 14
    Homer J. Fong 14
    Ectoplasm    14
    Barney92 14
    Banjo 16
    sheridan81  17
    Rikand 19
    Osh              20
    Pretzill 21
    partyjungle 22

Not looking good for Mick!

Woohoo, I'm second!

I haven't done one of these before so I'm guessing that's how it works. :pac:

• Advertisement

Scores on the door so far:
    Ranks |C1 |C2 |Total
    MicksJaguar |1 |1 | 2
    Zaph |6 |5 |11
    Green&Red| 9| 4 |13
    Homer J. Fong | 12| 1 |13
    Necro |5 |8 |13
    Barney92 |3 |11 |14
    Ectoplasm |2 |12 |14
    Quickbeam |11 |3 | 14
    Banjo |7 |9 | 16
    sheridan81 |4 |13 |17
    Rikand |13 |6 | 19
    Osh |10 |10 | 20
    Pretzill |14 |7 | 21
    partyjungle |8 |14| 22

Slightly different to sheridan so I'm a bit worried now and am gonna go back and check.............after tonight's reveal! Lets get this show on the road shall we?

Advertisement