Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Spelt both ways

Wiki

“The name is usually officially spelled as Oilgate and this spelling can be found on road signs entering the village and is the common spelling used on maps and by the Central Statistics Office. However, the spelling Oylegate is found on a plaque on the wall of the village national school dated 1929, and most locals spell it as such.

The Irish name for Oylegate is Bearna na hAille, bearna meaning gap or gate and aill meaning cliff, getting its name from the place that the river Slaney breaks through the gap in the cliffs or rocks on its way to Wexford harbour. It would appear that the name Oylegate became anglicised over time and got its name by saying aill quickly (oila) and gate from the English translation of bearna, gap or gate.

Oylegate is also referred to as Maolna nGabhar which is the Irish name for Mullinagore, getting its name from the area of land where goats used to graze (see Mullinagore below). This reference is likely because there is no actual townland recorded as Oylegate and the townland of Mullinagore would have been the more central part of the village consisting of the local church, the old school and a small settlement of houses. The Electoral District (E.D) of Edermine covers all of Oylegate, parts of Glenbrien with Ballyhuskard covering all the remaining townlands (except for Ballycourcy more which is in the E.D of Enniscorthy Rural).”

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No need to make them cluttered with Irish and English.
    Not a big deal on motorways or main roads,but on roundabouts where you have a limited time to see what's what it makes them difficult to see at a glance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

kneemos wrote: »
    No need to make them cluttered with Irish and English.
    Not a big deal on motorways or main roads,but on roundabouts where you have a limited time to see what's what it makes them difficult to see at a glance.

There is a need. It's illegal not to use both and have the Irish name first.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

Good to see they still can't spell Oylegate....

https://www.logainm.ie/en/52422?s=Oilgate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Vic_08 wrote: »
    People who haven't experienced the absolute sh!tshow that is New Ross in the peaks think this bridge is just a little bypass to save a few minutes driving through the town. My record for Waterford to passing the bridge in Ross was just under 70 minutes on a Friday evening, a journey that would take 25 minutes without traffic.

Try 2 and a half hours from Waterford to Enniscorthy on a wet Friday evening on the old old road, it was dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Good to see they still can't spell Oylegate....
    Whatever way it's spelled, safe driving to all those going to Oylegate & Wexford through Enniscorthy this weekend - it's the last weekend ye'll have to do it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

serfboard wrote: »
    Whatever way it's spelled, safe driving to all those going to Oylegate & Wexford through Enniscorthy this weekend - it's the last weekend ye'll have to do it!

Indeed. A big week on the forum here next week and a big week for the people of Wexford - memories of the M17 opening back in 2017

The first major scheme to open since 2017 this will be, and the last km of motorway to open in the country before 2025. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

marno21 wrote: »
    Indeed. A big week on the forum here next week and a big week for the people of Wexford - memories of the M17 opening back in 2017

The first major scheme to open since 2017 this will be, and the last km of motorway to open in the country before 2025. :)

I could be pedantic and suggest the N40 reclassification if it happens before 2025 or the few meters of new M8 when/if Dunkettle gets done :D:D:D

Or technically the third lane of the M7 which is technically new motorway, if you count the fact that its widening and not a motorway getting longer :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I could be pedantic and suggest the N40 reclassification if it happens before 2025 or the few meters of new M8 when/if Dunkettle gets done :D:D:D

Or technically the third lane of the M7 which is technically new motorway, if you count the fact that its widening and not a motorway getting longer :D

I’m talking about mainline new motorway smartarse!

But yes, we will technically see new M8, M28 (north of the Rochestown junction) and M40 by then. Possibly some M22 and M25 also. There’s a strong possibility of new M11 between Bray and Ashford too.

Next actual motorways will likely be M6 extension, M21 and actual M28 but not before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I forgot the M28 actually!

• Advertisement

What's going to happen to the grand opening if they can't finish the N30 link road, because it's being blocked at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

There is a need. It's illegal not to use both and have the Irish name first.

There is no practical need for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There is no practical need for them.

Yet, it is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Yet, it is the law.

The law is prescribing something unnecessary that is of no practical need. I know you understand exactly what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Very true, Petyr Baelish. It would be much more straightforward to drop the English version of town names entirely and return to our cultural roots. We did it for a lot of towns after independence, no reason not to continue the trend.

I would be delighted to see an M11 signed only as Gaeilge all the way from Áth Cliath to Loch Garman (or any other road in the state for that matter). Imagine how uncluttered the road signs would be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Yet, it is the law.

Apparently not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_Ireland

Sweet Jesus does every thread on this site descend into handbags....

MOD: This has absolutely nothing to do with the M11 Gorey-Enniscorthy scheme

Back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What's going to happen to the grand opening if they can't finish the N30 link road, because it's being blocked at the moment.

Blocked by what, or by whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

fricatus wrote: »
    CoBo55 wrote: »

Farmers,

Protesting again, no doubt..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Farmers,

Protesting again, no doubt..

I know there were major problems with drainage along sections of the route, i.e. fields being flooded after any significant rain and there were previous protests over that so maybe something similar. Can't really blame a farmer for that.
    I have no doubt however that the renowned Verucca PR machine we pay handsomely for will not allow his photo opp to be curtailed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Off topic posts deleted. If a mod says something is off topic, then it is.

fricatus wrote: »

A house right beside the roundabout have concerns over the height of the road, water run off, danger of flooding etc. I see two large track machines and concrete pipes along the ditch yesterday, hopefully it has been resolved and the roundabout will be finished. I see the roundabout on the oulart road is lit and just about finished, it looks brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

More talk of protests this week on the site. Leo could be faced with angry people affected by the works who called for action by BAM and still nothing done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

More talk of protests this week on the site. Leo could be faced with angry people affected by the works who called for action by BAM and still nothing done.
    Are the protests about the M11 mainline, or the N30?

jd wrote: »

The one I was referring to is on the N30 link road where it crosses the Enniscorthy Kiltealy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jd wrote: »

It's the mainline, issues with cracks in property was one complaint I saw raised. The complainant brought it to BAM's attention 12 months ago and nothing was done. I can't say what the other complaints are but going by what was said there's upward of 100 people planning to turn up and protest at the launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

It's the mainline, issues with cracks in property was one complaint I saw raised. The complainant brought it to BAM's attention 12 months ago and nothing was done. I can't say what the other complaints are but going by what was said there's upward of 100 people planning to turn up and protest at the launch.

Yes the main issue all along has been Bam's failure to address the concerns of the people along the route, this has been happening since the early days. I don't know where the likes of D'Arcy and Keogh have been hiding while this was going on but no doubt they'll be there grovelling on Thursday so probably a good time to protest for those with an axe to grind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Yes the main issue all along has been Bam's failure to address the concerns of the people along the route, this has been happening since the early days. I don't know where the likes of D'Arcy and Keogh have been hiding while this was going on but no doubt they'll be there grovelling on Thursday so probably a good time to protest for those with an axe to grind.

Odds on BAM submitting a claim for this?

Advertisement