Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

m17 wrote: »
    The new m11 28/06/19 (pic m11gtoe.ie website )
    zPGOHx1.jpg

Now,what was wrong with a straight line?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

kneemos wrote: »

Motorways have to be designed with gentle sweeping curves for safety reasons!

Reuben1210 wrote: »

No the don't!

You're joking right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    No the don't!

You're joking right?

No, it is normally done so drivers do not fall asleep.

No, it is normally done so drivers do not fall asleep.

It isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It isn't.

Yes, it is. Nobody is joking here.

Final alignments are also chosen for geological and land purchase issues

L1011 wrote: »
    Yes, it is. Nobody is joking here.

Final alignments are also chosen for geological and land purchase issues

Don't be stupid.
    I've heard of (may be a myth) corners being put on mile after mile of dead straight roads.
    This barely has a straight bit. Wonder how many kilometers were added with the loops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

So every straight bit of motorway around the world people are falling asleep?

Get a grip. I'll gladly eat my hat if you can show me a modicum of research.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/engineers-are-working-hard-to-drive-you-round-the-bend-1.1764069

Perhaps you might check this out.

That says curves are gentle for safety. Not that they are deliberately added or to prevent folk falling asleep.

That says curves are gentle for safety. Not that they are deliberately added or to prevent folk falling asleep.

OK, check this out.

https://www.tiipublications.ie/library/DN-GEO-03031-05.pdf

NRA Road Link Design.
    Page 8.2

8.9 The relevant alignment standards are
    given in Chapters 2 to 5 and the rules in
    Paragraph 8.7 shall be followed. Additionally:
    a) Horizontal and vertical curves should
    be as generous as possible throughout.
    b) To relieve the monotony of driving on a
    road with such good extensive forward
    visibility, long sections of the road should
    be aligned to give a view of some
    prominent feature ahead.

• Advertisement

OK, check this out.

NRA Road Link Design.
    Page 8.2

That relates to long sections of straight road and prominent features.
    The picture above doesn't even a short section of straight road.
    I honestly think ye are yanking my chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

OK, check this out.

NRA Road Link Design.
    Page 8.2

I think you're misreading those guidelines. The document favours straight sections and as generous curve radii as possible, with the use of prominent features as a mitigation to the monotony this can introduce. There's nothing supporting your assertion that curves are added for safety anywhere in that PDF.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I honestly think ye are yanking my chain.

Nobody is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was wondering how someone with 17K posts can come on with such an obnoxious attitude then I saw this:

image.png

this isn't After Hours buddy, did you even read the links provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

If you look from the top of the hill towards ferns from the harrow it looks like someone designed it by drawing a zig zag. When you look at it on google maps it looks perfectly straight. Perspective makes it look different to what it is. Also they need to vary it due to the fall of land for drainage etc.

Mod: Can we leave this curve argument - it has nothing to with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 thethinker

I suspect the ground is more undulating than the picture suggests. I am no engineer, but I think if you have to connect two points of equal height, and the side of a hill (or a slope) is in the way, then it is often easier to arc up the slope and back down the other side, as it would mean less earthworks (digging) and drainage issues. The extra paving is a lesser issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Several silly and argumentative posts have been removed.

No one is “joking” here, at least about civil engineering issues. Can everyone discuss without rudeness or shouting please.

thethinker wrote: »
    I suspect the ground is more undulating that the picture suggests. I am no engineer, but I suspect if you have to connect two points of equal height, and the side of a hill (or a slope) is in the way, then it is often easier to arc up the the slope and back down the other side, as it would mean less earthworks (digging) and drainage issues. The extra paving is a lesser issue.

Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

thethinker wrote: »
    I suspect the ground is more undulating that the picture suggests. I am no engineer, but I suspect if you have to connect two points of equal height, and the side of a hill (or a slope) is in the way, then it is often easier to arc up the the slope and back down the other side, as it would mean less earthworks (digging) and drainage issues. The extra paving is a lesser issue.

Undulating is precisely the word my (Gorey) geography teacher used to describe the topography of Wexford more than 30 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

So Leo will open it on Thursday, July 18th, according to Paul Kehoe TD

M11 Gorey - Enniscorthy News
    The M11 Gorey-Enniscorthy PPP scheme is to open later this month.
    I have confirmed that after years of work, the project will be unveiled by the Taoiseach on Thursday July 18.
    In recent months, works at M11, N30 and N80 Link Road have all progressed significantly.
    This afternoon, the Taoiseach confirmed to me that he will be present on July 18 to officially open this stretch of motorway.
    This is a hugely significant infrastructure project and I am delighted that we have now reached this point.
    Paul

jd wrote: »
    So Leo will open it on Thursday, July 18th, according to Paul Kehoe TD

The 9th is probably right then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The barriers over the railway,the tower on the left is mounted on a lorry and has a platform lowered over the other side of the bridge where men are working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Short story on the back of this week's Enniscorthy Guardian where Eamonn Hore of the County Council says 'it will definitely open in the second half of July'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Duffryman wrote: »
    Short story on the back of this week's Enniscorthy Guardian where Eamonn Hore of the County Council says 'it will definitely open in the second half of July'.

There you go. Can't beat the Co. Council for precise approximations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

June pics form the m11gtoe.ie website part one

TAzT0sE.jpg

HaPK8pP.jpg

nuGRG5F.jpg

AAKMtQe.jpg

0kkc862.jpg

ZCO884q.jpg

eziFFjl.jpg

RHYiYfu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Part two
    3QAJejw.jpg

6kQvMZL.jpg

NuKBPMs.jpg

fvQY6hw.jpg

zcPhb6t.jpg

DITomDA.jpg

Vs0X71h.jpg

AlvguFf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

m17 wrote: »
    June pics form the m11gtoe.ie website
    I mustn't have been paying attention, but I've only just realised from seeing these pictures that the N80 Link Road (now to be N30) is a dual carriageway as well.

Good to see. Build it once properly, won't have to be re-built/widened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

What are the 10 tunnel things that are in the third picture from the bottom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

ezra_ wrote: »
    What are the 10 tunnel things that are in the third picture from the bottom?

Flood relief.

Advertisement