Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm or hot with thunderstorm potential Sun eve 23rd---->

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

23 degrees here near Fr Ted's house, probably all the limestone in the surrounding area is magnifying the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

Is that thunderstorm no longer active

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

chris2007 wrote: »
    Is that thunderstorm no longer active

It's dead. It was probably aided by the Wicklow Mountains, which also ripped it apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

It seems to have passed us by in Firhouse, sky brighter and only minimal rainfall.
    Wah, wah! Was hoping for a decent thunderstorm.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is more development to come through Wicklow this afternoon and further inland but these pulse like storms don't last long unfortunately. Another miss in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 helloyeshi

A nice bang of thunder there in Portlaoise, after a savage downpour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

There is more development to come through Wicklow this afternoon and further inland but these pulse like storms don't last long unfortunately. Another miss in the last hour.

Can hear thunder to my west now here near Arklow
    It's not far away
    Cannot see the hills or cloudscapes or cb's anymore as this is close enough to cloud the sky and I can feel the odd drops of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If this comes to fruition - and the ECMWF has been very consistent about this over the last couple of days, some could be seeing some explosive storms developing later this week and into the weekend.

ECM 06z run for Wed up to Fri showing excessive amounts 'total column water' moving up over Ireland from both the near continent and Biscay which is also associated with exceptionally high CAPE values (for Ireland)

2vsiFAq.gif

The earlier ECM 00z run (the 06z run does not go out that far) showed severe thunderstorm potential, initially for the SW, then into Leinster & east Ulster in particular for the Fri/Sat period:

zM6iggq.png

I think if this model has found a way to lock onto this pattern over the next couple of days, we could be looking at opening a separate thread closer the time... or, as is just as likely, it could all go big titties up.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Dropped up to a friends house in Walshestown around 1100 this morning and his house was hit by fork lightning and blew the power. We had to manually override and push his gates open so I could get out to collect my kid from school. Two of us in pi$$ing rain with fork lightning landing around us... you couldn't make it up.

Having wished for it all week I'd happily not ever get as close to it again. On a positive note we are now thunder buddies for life!

• Advertisement

Oneric that light purple over the Arklow area is a lot of lightning
    *Hold me* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Not much activity yet just north of you Mortelaro, a few rumblings near Rathdrum but nothing notable

helloyeshi wrote: »
    A nice bang of thunder there in Portlaoise, after a savage downpour.

483485.png

Not much activity yet just north of you Mortelaro, a few rumblings near Rathdrum but nothing notable

Yeah I was referring to onerics map for later in the week, that if it verified would mean brutal storms in East Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Starting to turn really pleasant in Cork City sun has come out and skies are blue.

Kilkenny City is 23c on the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

About 23 degrees here in cork city according to my garden thermometer. Feels nice and warm in the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

About 23 degrees here in cork city according to my garden thermometer. Feels nice and warm in the sun!
    Tragic last words of a naive snowman who locals say just disappeared without a trace...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Overcast but reasonably warm in DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

21°c here in West Clare with lovely sunshine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

finally some hazy sunshine here in Meath and temperatures have climbed to 19C, making today equal to 1st of June as the warmest day of the month and the summer so far.

Looks to be a small thunderstorm west of Trim, could be heading for the Navan direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So the Dart has taken me from under overcast skies in DCC to blue skies in North Dublin.

Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavy showers building a few kilometres away but lovely sunshine here with a warm breeze.

I think today might be the first time cork airport has read 20 degrees this summer? If not this year? (Can’t remember feb)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

fairly warm in roscommon but not as hot as everyone was saying it would be,

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

fairly warm in roscommon but not as hot as everyone was saying it would be,

It’s monday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think today might be the first time cork airport has read 20 degrees this summer? If not this year? (Can’t remember feb)

Cork Airport got to 20.3c on 25th May. Highest before that was 19.1c on 20th April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Cork Airport got to 20.3c on 25th May. Highest before that was 19.1c on 20th April.

Cork Airport weather station is always fairly unrepresentative of the city. It's amazing the difference being on top of an exposed hill makes Vs in a valley with a big harbour.

Cork Airport weather station is always fairly unrepresentative of the city. It's amazing the difference being on top of an exposed hill makes Vs in a valley with a big harbour.

Yep but still interesting. My garden thermostat read a max of 23.7 degrees today!

When my thermostat is broken I usually +2 to the temp that the airport is reading!

City center then could have been totally different again due to that river breeze etc (was still warm though when i was in there today!)

Oh Cork city and your many climates :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today maxed out at 19C here in Meath, back to 18C now, so still waiting to reach 20C this summer, hopefully I may get that by tomorrow.

Advertisement