Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you never see female bin collectors?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sydney Harbour Bridge was designed by Ralph Freeman.

Brooklyn Bridge was designed by John Augustus Roebling.

Buzzfeed would disagree with you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Sydney Harbour Bridge was designed by Ralph Freeman.

Along with Dorothy Donaldson Buchanan
    Brooklyn Bridge was designed by John Augustus Roebling.

Along with his wife, who later took over the project when he became ill.
    And we'd have never have gotten to the moon of it wasn't for Nazi scientists.

Well, I'm sure Margaret Hamilton's contribution played some small part in it too, especially when her was her programming that prevented the entire mission being aborted just as they were coming into land.

Just as a few examples: There are some famous bridges designed by women (Brooklyn Bridge, Sydney Harbour Bridge).

Dorothy Donaldson Buchanan worked under Ralph Freeman as did many other people. Can you list them all? The lead designer is usually the first name that comes to peoples minds.

John Augustus Roebling designed the Brooklyn Bridge, his wife didn't help with the design but was an excellent communicator and a skilled writer of technical documents so she her input was vital in relaying the designs her husband make to engineers on site.

tuxy wrote:
    Dorothy Donaldson Buchanan worked under Ralph Freeman as did many other people. Can you list them all? The lead designer is usually the first name that comes to peoples minds.
    John Augustus Roebling designed the Brooklyn Bridge, his wife didn't help with the design but was an excellent communicator and a skilled writer of technical documents so she her input was vital in relaying the designs her husband make to engineers on site.

I think you're missing my point. My first post was in reply to a poster that was nervous getting on a bridge that had anything to do with women. Whether or not she was the lead designer, she was still part of the process.

If that’s the case, why are most nurses women? You will encounter as yucky or even yuckier things as a nurse than a bin collector.

G'way outta here with yer common sense. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

mariaalice wrote: »
    There was a female working on a bin lorry on the rout outside where I worked so its not correct to say there are none.

A nurse and a bin collector have similar jobs......I’ve heard it all now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    A nurse and a bin collector have similar jobs......I’ve heard it all now!!

They are obviously quite different jobs. But the argument is that women don’t like getting their hands dirty and can’t deal with yuckiness. Most nurses deal with yuckiness every single day. Yuckiness that probably some refuse collectors couldn’t deal with. Dressing a badly-infected bedsore, anyone? How about tending to a severe burns victim? Taking stool samples from the contents of a bedpan? Getting vomited on?

They are obviously quite different jobs. But the argument is that women don’t like getting their hands dirty and can’t deal with yuckiness. Most nurses deal with yuckiness every single day. Yuckiness that probably some refuse collectors couldn’t deal with. Dressing a badly-infected bedsore, anyone? How about tending to a severe burns victim? Taking stool samples from the contents of a bedpan? Getting vomited on?

The argument is women don’t like physical work.....

Women are prevalent in the equine grooming world. That involves considerably more physical work than bin collection.

Women are prevalent in the equine grooming world. That involves considerably more physical work than bin collection.

Seven women in my office........not one will change a tyre....says it all!

• Advertisement

I think that's saying the same thing. When there is as much choice and equality as possible men will gravitate to one area and women to another even more as poverty and inequality are less of a factor.
    But when poverty or extreme circumstances(eg. war) are a factor both men and woman are prepared to do whatever job out of necessity.
    The women in your office would manage to change that tyre if their life depended on it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It’s the patriarchy. Plumbers too. Awful state of affairs.

tuxy wrote: »
    I think that's saying the same thing. When there is as much choice and equality as possible men will gravitate to one area and women to another even more as poverty and inequality are less of a factor.
    But when poverty or extreme circumstances(eg. war) are a factor both men and woman are prepared to do whatever job out of necessity.
    The women in your office would manage to change that tyre if their life depended on it!

If your right then women are a hell of lot smarter than us men!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You'd think the big mirrors on the sides of the bin lorries would be ideal for doing their make up.

No, it’s also that women don’t want to get their hands dirty. But even if it is just about the physicality of the work, nursing, care assisting and cleaning are all physically tiring jobs that are predominantly done by women. I spend a lot of time in hospital unfortunately and the nurses on the day ward I visit have to do plenty of physical work. Indeed sometimes more physical than refuse collectors who don’t even have to lift the bins now. So whether it’s about the physicality or dirtiness of the job, it doesn’t stand up to scrutiny that women avoid work like that. Wriggle out of that. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

Q: Why do you never see female bin collectors?

A: Because we're not completely stupid and we do more than enough of the gicky jobs without adding another one to our repertoire.

Early starts so I presume regularly early finishes and paid for 40 hours regardless. Up and on your feet all day running about keeping you good and fit. Nice atmosphere in the good weather. All in I'd love to do it, however I can't recall the last time I saw a binman who wasn't foreign. Without meaning to generalise, a majority foreign national workforce is usually a sign the pay is, pardon the pun, rubbish.

Anyone any idea what the going rate is? Were binmen paid obscenely well like post men etc were before privatization? Given it is as much an essential industry on a par with transport, health and nursing I'm surprised there hasn't been an industrywide effort to shut down the country for better pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

fatknacker wrote: »
    It's a job that pays well. I'd imagine lots more would do it if they could.

Does it pay well? I seem to recall ads for 13 per hour in Dublin but I couldn't be sure.

13 per hour is grand money outside of the pale in terms of acquiring yourself a house and paying it off.

A lot more of a struggle on that money in the Dublin region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Q: Why do you never see female bin collectors?

A: Because we're not completely stupid and we do more than enough of the gicky jobs without adding another one to our repertoire.

or maybe its because women are sitting on a gold mine

No, it’s also that women don’t want to get their hands dirty. But even if it is just about the physicality of the work, nursing, care assisting and cleaning are all physically tiring jobs that are predominantly done by women. I spend a lot of time in hospital unfortunately and the nurses on the day ward I visit have to do plenty of physical work. Indeed sometimes more physical than refuse collectors who don’t even have to lift the bins now. So whether it’s about the physicality or dirtiness of the job, it doesn’t stand up to scrutiny that women avoid work like that. Wriggle out of that. ;)

Hospital porters do all the heavy work in wards nowadays........ps.nurses are still brilliant though!!!

Hospital porters do all the heavy work in wards nowadays........ps.nurses are still brilliant though!!!

Not all. I witnessed an emergency in the ward a few weeks back. There was no time to wait for porters to arrive. It was all hands on deck, lots of moving around of heavy furniture, lifting the patient into a better position etc. Going to get hoists and porters would have seen the patient die, judging by the urgency of the situation.

• Advertisement

Not all. I witnessed an emergency in the ward a few weeks back. There was no time to wait for porters to arrive. It was all hands on deck, lots of moving around of heavy furniture, lifting the patient into a better position etc. Going to get hoists and porters would have seen the patient die, judging by the urgency of the situation.

Just shows they are well capable of doing it if they have to

Just shows they are well capable of doing it if they have to

They do stuff like that all the time, depending on the department they work in. It’s part of the job, not a rare occurrence. And anyone going into the profession knows that. Hence, not afraid of physical, sometimes dirty work.

https://www.salaryexpert.com/salary/job/binman/ireland

I'd consider that good for unskilled, night pack in Dunnes pays simular.
    You won't pay for a mortgage in Dublin on that but I can't think of too many unskilled labour jobs that you could.
    I'd be very surprised if pay rates had any impact in women seeking that type of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

They do stuff like that all the time, depending on the department they work in. It’s part of the job, not a rare occurrence. And anyone going into the profession knows that. Hence, not afraid of physical, sometimes dirty work.
    Isn't that what they get well paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Maybe they could start with getting rid of their spare tyres

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Along with Dorothy Donaldson Buchanan

Along with his wife, who later took over the project when he became ill.

Well, I'm sure Margaret Hamilton's contribution played some small part in it too, especially when her was her programming that prevented the entire mission being aborted just as they were coming into land.

Buchanan was one of the design staff of the Sydney bridge. It was Freeman who was in charge of the actual design.

Re. Brooklyn Bridge, Robeling designed it. His son took over construction after his death, and was aided by his wife. She didn't design the bridge.

The moon landing involved a team of 400,000. For someone to suggest it wouldn't have happened but for a woman is quite disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It’s because they lack the upper body strength to repel the stench.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Statistically girls do better than boys at school. This would have a massive bearing on where they go once school finishes.

I’m guessing this would have something to do with why we don’t see very many hanging off the back of a bin truck.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Statistically girls do better than boys at school. This would have a massive bearing on where they go once school finishes.

I’m guessing this would have something to do with why we don’t see very many hanging off the back of a bin truck.

On average how many extra points do women get in the leaving cert?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yes, but a woman’s work is never done.

That’s why they get paid less.

Advertisement