Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you never see female bin collectors?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

same reason you never see a man working in a creche

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

They'd be on strike half the time complaining about the smell or the weight of the bins. Look at the nurses for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What's that reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

They'd be on strike half the time complaining about the smell or the weight of the bins. Look at the nurses for example.

Are the Luas drivers all female too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Because they look the exact same as male bin collectors.

• Advertisement

What's that reason?
    CAUSE IT AINT RIGHT

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Many years ago I worked in a shop. One of the women that worked there asked me to pick up a dead rat because as she explained "it's just that I don't like rats". I went outside and there was a decomposing rat with maggots coming out of what were once his eyes. I put on some gloves, got a piece of cardboard and scraped the corpse up off the ground. It made this squelching noise as I picked it up. It reminded me of a Cornish pastie.

I think the answer to why there aren't bin women is the same answer as why this woman didn't want to pick up a dead, eyeless, maggot infested rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Fifty grades of shay.

My wife deals with most of the **** jobs, around our house. That's just the way it's always been, not that she's forced in to it.
    We both have our roles, no sexism involved, we both work at home and it just emerged that she collects the rubbish and cleans up the mess around the house, I do it around the sheds and fields and after the farm animals, and my wife never stops working or complains about it.

This piece deals with it a bit.

https://www.dailyedge.ie/women-dont-want-to-do-dirty-jobs-3493637-Jul2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Are the Luas drivers all female too?

There's no bins on the luas to be collected. Your getting mixed up with dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

You don't? I should probably tell the lads who worked in my kids creche that they need to get new jobs so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

They were asked to do it but they refuse collector

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

FFS. They can't lift or drag the bins a easily as the men. That's the plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Maybe because men are better at some jobs than women and vice versa, if we all accepted there are roles that are more gender suited to male or female we would all get along better, women in stem is fine but most women aren't interested in stem subjects, just like most men aren't interested in child ca re and nursing.
    I took on a labourer years ago, a lesbian who played county football, she thought she was physically tough, and she was as women go, but she lasted 2 days and hold me she couldn't handle the work, women and men should stick to what they're good at, there's no need to force people into roles just to fill quotas.

kenmc wrote: »
    You don't? I should probably tell the lads who worked in my kids creche that they need to get new jobs so
    there are male creche workers
    there are female binmen

they just make up 0.0001% of the work force.

but then you knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

It's a job that pays well. I'd imagine lots more would do it if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The green bin must be the most coveted truck. You definitely don't want to be on the brown bin truck. I would imagine there is a heirachy that gets the nicer gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

RWCNT wrote: »
    I have seen a few. Thread over, everybody go home.

A few?? There should be an equal amount of male and female!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Many years ago I worked in a shop. One of the women that worked there asked me to pick up a dead rat because as she explained "it's just that I don't like rats". I went outside and there was a decomposing rat with maggots coming out of what were once his eyes. I put on some gloves, got a piece of cardboard and scraped the corpse up off the ground. It made this squelching noise as I picked it up. It reminded me of a Cornish pastie.

I think the answer to why there aren't bin women is the same answer as why this woman didn't want to pick up a dead, eyeless, maggot infested rat.

Because there's always some other idiot willing to do it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I love how butthurt men always use this example when asking why women don't want equality for manual labour.

Aside from the obvious issues with women being physically smaller and weaker than men (on the whole) and the other obvious issue of there being very few women on the job, so women wanting to do it feel intimidated (I know a female bin collector and the 'banter' is verging on harassment sometimes), women are also busy doing plenty of other menial jobs, such as cleaning and working in care homes. I wonder how many binmen would like to spend their days wiping arses and cleaning up sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

april-ludgate-dead-body-trash.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Might come across as sexist, but I definitely think dudes are better at some jobs than women. Like I’d be very nervous crossing a bridge designed, engineered, and built by chicks. Especially if I was in a car designed, engineered, and built by chicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There should def be gender quotas in this industry.

And not just binary heteronormative bin workers before ppl think I ain’t woke

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

the other obvious issue of there being very few women on the job, so women wanting to do it feel intimidated.

But if there were quotas introduced then there being very few women in the job surely would no longer be an issue?

Funny enough that Board rooms and politics have also historically been male dominated but quotas are encouraged and rules brought in to be seen to "even things up".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I love how butthurt men always use this example when asking why women don't want equality for manual labour.

Aside from the obvious issues with women being physically smaller and weaker than men (on the whole) and the other obvious issue of there being very few women on the job, so women wanting to do it feel intimidated (I know a female bin collector and the 'banter' is verging on harassment sometimes), women are also busy doing plenty of other menial jobs, such as cleaning and working in care homes. I wonder how many binmen would like to spend their days wiping arses and cleaning up sick.

If that was true, you would have opened with that. Just suits a nice harrasment narrative to put it in the story.

Like I’d be very nervous crossing a bridge designed, engineered, and built by chicks.

Don't go on a little known crossover called the Brooklyn Bridge, just in case. A chick oversaw much of its construction and engineering.

But if there were quotas introduced then there being very few women in the job surely would no longer be an issue?

Funny enough that Board rooms and politics have also historically been male dominated but quotas are encouraged and rules brought in to be seen to "even things up".

Oh yes, because quotas work really well. Just ask any woman working in tech how it feels to be treated as a diversity hire, regardless of her qualifications and ability.

Omackeral wrote: »
    If that was true, you would have opened with that. Just suits a nice harrasment narrative to put it in the story.

It is true. Don't tell me how to structure my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where do bin collectors bring their haul these days? Not many dumps still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Nails....simples.

• Advertisement

It is true.

giphy.gif

Advertisement