Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you never see female bin collectors?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

It's just the way it's always bin. That's wheely all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Of course it can be disputed. Men designed and built the rockets. Men piloted the spacecraft. They put their lives on the line, having seen collegues killed along the way. To try and argue that it only happened because of a girl is revisionism on a grand scale.
    Did you just completely ignore what I said on that post?

I don't why the feck you are arguing over it not happening because of some woman.

I don't hear anyone arguing that credit should be given to the nazis.

The bigger picture is it wouldn't be happening at all without a bunch of nazis, especially an ex SS colonel.

Grayson, it's too late to worry about all the real nazis that were in NASA.
    I think they all now dead anyway.

I wonder what type of bin collectors the nazis had?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

meeeeh wrote: »
    You are welcome to your opinion. But it is completely understandable average men would feel threatened by them.
    how about gender quotas for college places?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

jmayo wrote: »

The Reich type.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

The Reich type.

Ich bin ein binliner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

jmayo wrote:
    I don't why the feck you are arguing over it not happening because of some woman.

Because of comments like these:
    Like I’d be very nervous crossing a bridge designed, engineered, and built by chicks. Especially if I was in a car designed, engineered, and built by chicks.

And just so jew know, nazi's had nein bin collection companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

Nobody WANTS to be a bin collector except my sons when they were little. They dreamed of hopping on and off the back of the bin lorry when they grew up. Now they've all reached employable age none of them is that keen to go chasing a bin collection job. Strange that! It's a job. Maybe there are perks that I don't know about but they seem to have worst of all worlds. In my signwriting days, I had to do the vehicle livery for a council refuse lorry fleet - ten of the damn things. It was summer and for some reason I forget the lorries had to stay in the garage. I'll never forget the three days spent inhaling the odour of the bin soup that seemed to lie on the bottom of the lorries. I wouldn't willingly follow that smell around five days a week, 52 weeks of the year.

My father was a bin man for about ten years and loved every minute of it, kept him in great shape and was a fairly social job. Not to mention the crew of three men on his lorry made probably 3 times their wages per week in tips on the lead up Christmas time (along with a fair amount of alcohol and tins of sweets) . I had many of exuberant Christmases as a child that was funded by my father collecting bins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

jmayo wrote: »

There's a joke in there somewhere about not putting hot ashes in the bin but I'm not going to be the one to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,891 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Binmen get all the lonely home alone women

Capture8743.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Because of comments like these:

Ahh for fecks sake isn't johnnyflash one of the windup merchants?

Isn't he the one with paddypintmanlosty that has had every woman in Ireland in their bed at this stage.
    And just so jew know, nazi's had nein bin collection companies

Some marks for effort, but trying too hard me thinks.
    There's a joke in there somewhere about not putting hot ashes in the bin but I'm not going to be the one to make it.

FFS I wasn't ever thinking that.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

jmayo wrote:
    Ahh for fecks sake isn't johnnyflash one of the windup merchants?

I have no idea?
    jmayo wrote:
    Some marks for effort, but trying too hard me thinks.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

how about gender quotas for college places?

I think they are good idea in certain cases. I know they were considered in medicine where I come from because a lot less boys were getting in but for various reasons more male doctors were needed. I don't know if they implemented them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't want to break a nail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

'Equality' only matters when it comes to high paid jobs, nobody wants equality for low paid or dangerous jobs.

I think they are good idea in certain cases. I know they were considered in medicine where I come from because a lot less boys were getting in but for various reasons more male doctors were needed. I don't know if they implemented them.
    fair enough. you define people by their gender but at least youre consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

'Equality' only matters when it comes to high paid jobs, nobody wants equality for low paid or dangerous jobs.

Or physical work

fair enough. you define people by their gender but at least youre consistent.

This is actually to dumb of a conclusion to respond with anything but an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Or physical work
    Name checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Or physical work

I saw female construction workers and flaggers in the US, also lots of female street cleaners in Spain. I have never been to Russia but I believe women doing construction work is common, in India woman lay train track.

This is actually to dumb of a conclusion to respond with anything but an insult.
    if youre a fan of gender quotas then you value identity politics over meritocracy. dont be afraid to own your ideology.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Of course it can be disputed. Men designed and built the rockets. Men piloted the spacecraft. They put their lives on the line, having seen collegues killed along the way. To try and argue that it only happened because of a girl is revisionism on a grand scale.

Actually - in 1963 Valentina Tershkova piloted a spacecraft.

In the US women had to wait until 1983 before Sally Ride got to go into space - not as pilot. The reason? Under NASA rules only jet pilots could become astronauts and women were barred from flying jets.

13 Women passed the tests in the 1960s. But President Johnson ordered their navy sponsored training program stopped.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/scrap-medical-weed-women-in-space-and-more-1.4636793/right-stuff-wrong-gender-the-true-story-of-the-women-who-almost-went-to-the-moon-1.4636802

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Edgware wrote: »
    Isn't that what they get well paid for?

As mentioned before, cleaners and care assistants (both predominantly female) also do physically taxing, frequently unpleasant work for not great pay.

And some of the dirty jobs men do that are often mentioned in this context are not badly paid either eg. mining, certain trades. Hell, even binman are not badly paid in some jurisdictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

As mentioned before, cleaners and care assistants (both predominantly female) also do physically taxing, frequently unpleasant work for not great pay.

And some of the dirty jobs men do that are often mentioned in this context are not badly paid either eg. mining, certain trades. Hell, even binman are not badly paid in some jurisdictions.

The cleaners and care assistants don’t work outside with the wind rain sleet snow hail and sun batin down on top of them

if youre a fan of gender quotas then you value identity politics over meritocracy. dont be afraid to own your ideology.

Again to dumb to engage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The cleaners and care assistants don’t work outside with the wind rain sleet snow hail and sun batin down on top of them

That’s nice. They’re still draining jobs where unpleasant substances would be encountered regularly. As I said before, sometimes even more unpleasant substances than a binman and for both cleaners and care assistants, the work would often be more physical than that of a binman, whose truck does the heavy lifting these days. And cleaners working in bus and railway stations would have to deal with a lot of draughtiness and their jobs will likely take them outside the buildings too.

A former lab job I had involved a lot of bad smells and icky substances. I also used to have to run some of my experiments in a fridge because the environment had to be kept cold. And my pay was shïte.

Again to dumb to engage.
    yes it is certainly a dumb ideology

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You are welcome to your opinion. But it is completely understandable average men would feel threatened by them.

Less than average people get ahead by virtue of what's between their legs? You're fine with that. You advocating that? I think that's a sorry state of affairs.

Again to dumb to engage.

The irony is staggering. If you're going to be bitter and narky towards somebody while attacking their intellect, at least get your own spellings right.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Less than average people get ahead by virtue of what's between their legs? You're fine with that. You advocating that? I think that's a sorry state of affairs.

Well men did that for the whole history and you only find this objectionable now?

And no I don't have any intention to get into serious conversation about the topic.

• Advertisement

Well men did that for the whole history and you only find this objectionable now?

And no I don't have any intention to get into serious conversation about the topic.

Then there's zero point in engaging with you whatsoever.

Advertisement