Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gonzo wrote: »
    wet night here in Dunshaughlin. Yesterday I went to Kilkenny City for a Christmas celebration and experienced some extremely heavy rain on the way there, the M9 had sheets of water falling on it.

Slightly off topic but it was my first time ever to kilkenny City and really liked it, an absolutely beautiful little city, can't believe it's taken me over 40 years to finally visit it!.

Lovely small city, but damn expensive. Kilkenny, Killarney and Galway are all lovely but horrifically overpriced. But thats tourist traps for ya.

As for the rain, the inland southeast/south midlands are getting their comeuppance for all the drought in May-August! Our rivers around here are full, some slight ponding in places. The Nore is a brisk river though and takes it out to sea fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice morning here in Castlebar, little or no wind and good vis with some nice blue skies to the north west. Id say its lovely up towards Sligo/Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Really despise this weather, grey mild and overcast in Cork. Unfortunately we've had quite a few Christmas periods like this since the epic 2010. At least it's good for getting out and about in, silver linings and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

In case anyone would like to record this so they don't miss, there's a documentary on Ireland's 2018 weather chaos on Virgin Media One at 10 p.m. tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/deric_tv/status/1076197232804839424

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

By all accounts we are in for very bland weather. While it is welcome that we are not going to have disruptive weather over the Christmas period, you can't beat a good storm around the end of December or beginning of January. I just hope that this non stop wet benign murky weather doesn't continue through January and February. Even a cold frosty spell would be exciting compared to what we have had so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Despise this weather with a passion. It's been like this for much if the time since the start of Nov. Doesn't exactly put me in a festive mood. I'm hopeful though we will see a change and that Jan and feb will be a lot more interesting thanks to the ssw if luck is on our side.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A nice morning here in Castlebar, little or no wind and good vis with some nice blue skies to the north west. Id say its lovely up towards Sligo/Donegal

Same out here. Ocean flat calm, mountains reflected.. perfect winter day and this old wan may be tempted to go for a walk...not many days that has been possible.. lovely Christmas gift for us. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Billcarson wrote: »
    Despise this weather with a passion. It's been like this for much if the time since the start of Nov. Doesn't exactly put me in a festive mood. I'm hopeful though we will see a change and that Jan and feb will be a lot more interesting thanks to the ssw if luck is on our side.

2iowig.jpg

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cloudy and a little misty here, feels a little chilly to but can see a brighter sky to the north,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

typhoony wrote: »
    Anyone here old enough to remember the Bartlett winters of the 90's and early 00's then the charts will have a familiar look.
    Yes, a familiar look as you say.
    I can already see the pictures on the news of snowfalls in Athens and north Africa!

I found this chart after I posted earlier, I would expect this to be the pattern this winter.
    ECM0-240.GIF?23-12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Agree completely with all those who despise this weather. Mild and wet weather is right up there with my all time pet hates. :mad: I have closets full of lovely jumpers [love my fashion :pac:] but not a hope of wearing one so all eye me dolefully when it comes to choosing my attire. Yet another boring blouse /shirt gets donned.:rolleyes: Not much to trouble me folks will say and I guess so.:D

But in all seriousness it has to be the most boring and annoying weather imaginable! And it goes on for months and months.

Fingers crossed for a change soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Damp and misty here in Donegal so wouldn't go as far as lovely but definitely an improvement on the past while, flat calm and patches of blue in the sky

acequion wrote: »
    Agree completely with all those who despise this weather. Mild and wet weather is right up there with my all time pet hates. :mad: I have closets full of lovely jumpers [love my fashion :pac:] but not a hope of wearing one so all eye me dolefully when it comes to choosing my attire. Yet another boring blouse /shirt gets donned.:rolleyes: Not much to trouble me folks will say and I guess so.:D

But in all seriousness it has to be the most boring and annoying weather imaginable! And it goes on for months and months.

Fingers crossed for a change soon!

oh DEAR :eek:

Delighted here to hang my rain cape up and leave the heavy clothing where it hangs.. May this last and last and last...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

The SSW has just begun over Siberia. It will then start to push over the north pole into Greenland.

I would start to expect the Models to respond in FI.

Here is the 8th of January from 06zz run this morning.

2ia7ej6.png

The Minus 10 isotherm just of the East English coast.

The change in the models over the next week to 10 days will be like a light switch IMO.

Its going to get Emotional......:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

The SSW has just begun over Siberia. It will then start to push over the north pole into Greenland.

2ia7ej6.png

The change in the models over the next week to 10 days will be like a light switch IMO.

I concur. Too much pessimism on this site re snow prospects. The coming week will be largely dry and grey. January? Well that might be a different story altogether.....patience young Jedis!

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

2ia7ej6.png

Don't be looking that far in FI for Strat effects
    Concentrate on day 5 to 9
    Beyond that is just nonsense as always as it's determined by bigger and bigger errors the further away from day zero you go
    Even at day 5 to 9 you're not looking for a forecast,you're looking for ingredients
    Once you have those,trop chaos will do the rest if she cooks the cold cake at all,I'd say She will but we just DON'T know

Oh and ignore most netweather posters,a lot of rubbish there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That would lead to some interestingly cold weather over eastern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Spectacular golden moonrise out there at the moment, my phone camera is rubbish in the dark so can't get a decent pic but one of the nicest I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

8.4mm today from this relentless drizzle/rain.

Very very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

M.T. mentioned the following over on Netweather:

One example of how a high to the south of the UK can rebuild north to set up a cold spell would be Jan 1-7, 1881, followed by several weeks of epic cold and snow. (check maps on wetterzentrale archives, select 20th century NOAA and input dates). The high eventually got absorbed into a Greenland high and the flow became increasingly northeast over the period. In this low-energy environment, with a southerly flow into Greenland, this seems like a possible outcome and it might be a few days before models catch on to it.

Funny how I mentioned January 1881 only yesterday when comparing the latest CFSv2 for January 2019.

https://twitter.com/SnowbieWx/status/1076533185905864704

January 1881 was a very snowy and severely cold month for those who wonder. It recorded Ireland's all-time lowest temperature of -19.1c at Markree Castle. Here's a chart from the month.

zYbgnaa.png

This is obviously just for fun. Let's get the SSW done and over with before looking ahead to prospects on the conditions during mid-January which is the *minimum* likely time for possible tropospheric impacts. Wait and see. We do not even know for sure if the impacts will propagate into the troposphere. Until then, something just doesn't sit right with me in this being the "big one" for cold.... I don't know why I feel that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Seems to me that MT's prediction for December is completely off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I thought this transition would be underway around now, with a high energy peak for 21-22 Dec. What's actually happening is less energetic but the trend is in a similar direction. Anything I've actually posted about cold features January, for example you can check my forecast in the "coldest minimum" thread (a lot of posters agreed with the timing on that, 5-15 Jan gets about half the votes in total).

Given that we are going into a prolonged period where high pressure is going to be dominant, I would take the mild forecasts with the caveat that some places, especially inland southeast, could fail to respond to weak mixing and could stay rather cold some of the days. We shall see on that one, I do expect the west to get quite mild until this pattern breaks down totally.

Sorry not to give a mention, sryanbruen, about 1881, it was something I noticed independently as I hadn't been in this thread for a while.

It does give one hope that a wintry outcome is possible even without big highs showing up from northern Russia into Scandinavia because that was never part of the scenario in 1881 and the outcome was perfect in terms of snow and cold (southern England buried under huge snowfalls from the Channel for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Seems to me that MT's prediction for December is completely off.

For a forecast made more than two months ago, and in the context of the signalled very high likelihood of a SSW event inducing at least some sort of a cold spell beginning as soon as the first week of the new year.. it's not that far off the mark at all.

Yet :P
    MTC wrote:
    It is looking quite cold compared to normal for Britain and Ireland, in particular later December and parts of January. However, this appears to be dependent on a strong jet stream either shifting far enough south or relaxing for periods of 1-2 weeks, and the intervals between the cold spells could be quite stormy at times when the jet stream is roaring at full capacity. The research index values in particular go far colder than I have seen them for the past several winters, indicating many analogue cases that were very cold winters. Looking through the analogues, I find that periods around late December into early January, and mid to late January, were favoured for the coldest weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

To the lay person the charts are dreadful at the moment for anyone looking for significant cold.

Also I note the SSW doesn’t really follow through and the warming doesn’t appear in a position that would aid a cold outbreak in Ireland.

Let’s see how things play but I’m not hopeful

Ps.
    Bah humbug

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big temperature range between North and South of the country tonight.

8.6C here near Tralee and raining.

temp_uk_mju3.png

To the lay person the charts are dreadful at the moment for anyone looking for significant cold.

Also I note the SSW doesn’t really follow through and the warming doesn’t appear in a position that would aid a cold outbreak in Ireland.

Let’s see how things play but I’m not hopeful

Ps.
    Bah humbug

Need to be careful what you wish for, please. I have family on an island near Vancouver, where as MT mentioned they had a fierce storm a few days ago. Still no power /phones and some islanders are still trapped in their houses by fallen trees.

Just had a brief email.

And |i will not get to wish loved ones happy Christmas ....

So no more grousing please. And I as a lame old wan am deeply thankful for this calm spell.....I can walk the lanes and the beach, even sit outside a wee while and enjoy the peace.... rare gifts at Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

You can only laugh at this! - even the Sahara can manage colder weather than us. :D

ECM0-216.GIF?24-12

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

You can only laugh at this! - even the Sahara can manage colder weather than us. :D

ECM0-216.GIF?24-12

The only consolation from that is that Ireland isn’t the only country sitting under that mildish air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You'd not bother to open the curtains right now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Nice mild and calm day in Dublin.
    Give me this all Winter and ill be happy.

Advertisement