Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in this 'storm'

Options

Comments

Didn't risk the wee one on the bike this morning so walked, lot of leaves and small twigs whipping around and all over the road. Herself got knocked over by the wind at one point while trying to zip up her coat and the wind caught it like a sail knocking her on her arse which she thought was hilarious and I had to stop myself from laughing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,663 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's not too bad out there, but i wouldn't cycle across the east link though. Actually not going to run across today, not worth the risk
    Actually it is. Plenty of fallen trees and branches and electricity poles, also blocked drains leading to massive puddles

In fact all buses in my area are cancelled since 10am due the high winds.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Usually I would just throw caution to the wind and jump on the bike, but from what I could hear out my window this morning I decided to give it a miss. I think I'm glad I did from what I can see out the window. Having an option to work from home makes it an easier decision to make I suppose. It sounds to me like it's gotten worse in the last couple of hours, take it easy out there lads, no shame in leaving the bike in work if it's bad at home time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

Also opted not to cycle today, made the right choice judging by the gusts out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I was in before it became too wild but I still did have a huge tailwind on way in and got into town in record time without a drop of sweat. I fear the return journey- although I know the cross wind tunnels on the route where ill probably dismount and walk those sections.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Didn't see if it was a tree or just a branch, bit Griffith avenue is closed near the mobhi road end.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭simonw

I was debating this morning whether to cycle or not, but decided to give it a go. Crossing the M50 Bridge on coldcut road, i got hit by a massive gust that pushed me into the kerb and sent me flying, left me with skinned hands and knee, nothing serious thankfully. Be careful out there, even though i expected the crosswind I wasn't ready for the strength of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I walked outside at 6:30 and thought I'd cycle. Met Éireann showed wind picking up after my commute and easing before the cycle home.

Got dressed in my cycling gear, got the kids up, saw a tree blowing sideways in the garden and cursed my timing.

Drove in and it took longer than the cycle. I'm expecting the drive home to take a lot longer than the cycle would have. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Lads anyone know when the winds are due to die down ? I'm due to head out at around 2.30pm and struggling with whether to go on 2 or 4 wheels.

Edit: Sorry should have said North Dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I contemplated it, but didn't in the end, and I'm glad I didn't. The back roads were absolutely littered with twigs and branches. Pity in a way, because I'm pretty sure I would have got a PR given the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A tree down on the N11 this morning. Hit a car and straight on top of the cycling lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... Pity in a way, because I'm pretty sure I would have got a PR given the wind.
    It never really works like that in severe gusting volatile winds in my experience as it requires a lot of caution.

You're much more likely to get a PR on a day with a constant stiff breeze in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Unless necessary the risk is not worth it for me, far too easy for something to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 saganfan

Opted not to cycle today, winds were about 50km+ out in Clontarf with a lot of debris around. Not really worth the risk for a 5km commute or whatever. Pity, because the return would have been fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Cycled in this morning despite the OH protestations - to be fair to her she didn't push it too much! Wind @ 7.30am was fairly blustery but not so bad as to stop me. Coming from the south it was not quite a full on tailwind but still got 3 KOM's on the way in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

They've just closed the Phoenix Park, is that the first time that's happened? Notice on their website now saying no walkers or cyclists until further notice... Might have to take the bus home :(.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Here's the notice

• Wednesday 19th September 2018 – All Roads in the Phoenix Park are closed with the exception of Chesterfield Avenue (Main Road), Acres Road and the Odd Lamp Road. Cabra Gate and Knockmaroon Gate are also closed.
    Gusts are very strong and we recommend that walkers and cyclists do not enter the Park.
    Please note that only vehicular traffic with essential business in the Park should enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭plodder

It seems to have gotten worse during the morning here in Dublin 3. Going to head out for a run but not sure I'd use the bike the way it is now.

The winds in the west are far worse then Ophelia last year, a serious amount of trees have fallen and schools shut, yet cos it;s not affecting D4, it's just a whingy breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

They've just closed the Phoenix Park, is that the first time that's happened? Notice on their website now saying no walkers or cyclists until further notice... Might have to take the bus home :(.

Wow, first time I've seen that, even during the red weather warning late last year with the tail end of the hurricane it was open. I cycled through it this morning but that was just after 06:00 so was fine and had intended to cycle through it this evening on the return leg. Might have to reassess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

Duckjob wrote: »
    Lads anyone know when the winds are due to die down ? I'm due to head out at around 2.30pm and struggling with whether to go on 2 or 4 wheels.

Edit: Sorry should have said North Dublin area

Looks like it's going to be still very windy out at that time, I'd go with 4 wheels if I were you.
    https://www.windy.com/?53.354,-6.651,9,m:e8fafYx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Wow, first time I've seen that, even during the red weather warning late last year with the tail end of the hurricane it was open. I cycled through it this morning but that was just after 06:00 so was fine and had intended to cycle through it this evening on the return leg. Might have to reassess.

Apparently the issue with the fallen trees is that it's very early in the year for a storm and they're all top heavy with leaves. Hence (it seems) why much more have fallen than with Ophelia. Likewise, I came through the park this morning around 8am, plenty of small debris around at that stage and obviously the wind has gotten much worse in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

There was loads of media coverage over the past few days advising motorists to take it handy on the roads, so with no mention of cyclists I set on my merry way, assuming it would be perfectly safe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Raam wrote: »
    340 watts to do 13.5kph at one point along the Sutton-Clontarf track.

About 150 watts on the Dodder Road, 60kph, tailwind:pac:.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    There was loads of media coverage over the past few days advising motorists to take it handy on the roads, so with no mention of cyclists I set on my merry way, assuming it would be perfectly safe.....
    #ProjectEDWARD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

py wrote: »
    Looks like it's going to be still very windy out at that time, I'd go with 4 wheels if I were you.
    https://www.windy.com/?53.354,-6.651,9,m:e8fafYx

Hadnt come across that site before - looks useful. Thanks!

Anyway, Mrs Duckjob just sent me a msg saying don't even think about going on the bike in that wind, so I guess that's settled :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

A different version, but it only shows point in time, doesn't seem to show a forecast: https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-6.20,53.76,1334/loc=-6.277,53.498

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Lots of trees down. I assume it’s because the ground is so dry after our long summer and the leaves are still on the trees? The winds are strong but they have been stronger in the past.... or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

zell12 wrote: »
    The winds in the west are far worse then Ophelia last year, a serious amount of trees have fallen and schools shut, yet cos it;s not affecting D4, it's just a whingy breeze

It is affecting Dublin 4 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

I cycled into dublin this morning, was not as bad or as windy as it is now. Was very strange though - it was definitely a tailwind on average, but travelling along the same road I found myself in a tailwind, then headwind, then tailwind etc. Objects were being blown away from me and then being blown back towards me. Really swirling around.

If it doesn't die down in the meantime I may leave the bike and get a luas home. though i hate to have to get a luas in tomorrow morning if i do.

Edit: One thing that was a bit of a problem - loads of bright, shiny, smooth, slippy conkers fallen because of teh wind. I nearly came off when i hit some coming around a corner.

Advertisement