Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in this 'storm'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

A lot of debris on my way in this morning, but most of it was not the kind that trouble the bike.

There was the odd exception, including the branch below on Dublin north quays, beside Ha'penny Bridge.

"'Twas massive Joe, they need to shut down the city centre immediately before some poor soul has to turn their steering wheel slightly to get round it! What Joe? Pedestrians? Cyclists? Christ no Joe, no time for them if they venture out into that kind of PURE HELL! No-one knows how we suffer in Dublin Joe!".

461660.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭babaracus

zell12 wrote: »
    The winds in the west are far worse then Ophelia last year, a serious amount of trees have fallen and schools shut, yet cos it;s not affecting D4, it's just a whingy breeze

Firstly, not only is it affecting Dublin a tree is down outside the RTE Radio Centre in Dublin 4.

Secondly, this has been on the news constantly all day, mainly due to the ploughing being cancelled in Tullamore and the woman who died in Galway. Neither of which are in Dublin 4.

Do people ever let facts stop them stacking the chips on their shoulders?

Plus the SE was hit hardest by Ophelia, not Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Lots of trees down. I assume it’s because the ground is so dry after our long summer and the leaves are still on the trees? The winds are strong but they have been stronger in the past.... or is it just me?

The leaves act as sails, putting more force on the trees than youd usually get in winter storms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Didn't see if it was a tree or just a branch, bit Griffith avenue is closed near the mobhi road end.

That was a fallen street lamp. I was gonna bunny-hop it while all the cars drove around. Sense prevailed and I dismounted to step over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Oddly, traffic was definitely giving more space when overtaking, the buses down the quays were staying well back. I heard them say on the radio a few times last night and this morning asking drivers to slow down and watch out for cyclists an pedestrians. Pity they don't drive like that all the time!!

If it's uncomfortably windy, I make sure to wobble* about the place on the bike and I find that drivers give more room to the 'lunatic cyclist'.

*more than usual...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

doozerie wrote: »
    A lot of debris on my way in this morning, but most of it was not the kind that trouble the bike.

There was the odd exception, including the branch below on Dublin north quays, beside Ha'penny Bridge.

"'Twas massive Joe, they need to shut down the city centre immediately before some poor soul has to turn their steering wheel slightly to get round it! What Joe? Pedestrians? Cyclists? Christ no Joe, no time for them if they venture out into that kind of PURE HELL! No-one knows how we suffer in Dublin Joe!".

461660.jpg

I wonder what time that happened at, I'd definitely have noticed if it was there when I went past about 8.15ish, or if it had fallen on me :eek::p. Went up at lunch to have look, they were still cutting it down and there was a Garda there looking dubiously at the other two very tall trees that remained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If it's uncomfortably windy, I make sure to wobble* about the place on the bike and I find that drivers give more room to the 'lunatic cyclist'.

*more than usual...

ha ha good idea!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Fian wrote: »
    I cycled into dublin this morning, was not as bad or as windy as it is now. Was very strange though - it was definitely a tailwind on average, but travelling along the same road I found myself in a tailwind, then headwind, then tailwind etc. Objects were being blown away from me and then being blown back towards me. Really swirling around.

If it doesn't die down in the meantime I may leave the bike and get a luas home. though i hate to have to get a luas in tomorrow morning if i do.

Edit: One thing that was a bit of a problem - loads of bright, shiny, smooth, slippy conkers fallen because of teh wind. I nearly came off when i hit some coming around a corner.

u should be grand now bar maybe debris- Wind has significantly died down in last half hr in city centre anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Yeah deffo not worth risking it given what I've seen around today - Unless you want to sound like one of those 70 year olds who go swimming in the sea in winter with no wetsuit saying "what's wrong with yis all, it's warm"

I think the OP's 'storm' is a STORM :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cdaly_ wrote: »
    That was a fallen street lamp. I was gonna bunny-hop it while all the cars drove around. Sense prevailed and I dismounted to step over it...
    We got garbled info so, someone said to us the lamp was down near the marino end. We had been planning to go for a meander in the botanic gardens this morning - unsurprisingly they were closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

peneau wrote: »
    It is affecting Dublin 4 !

I've heard that both Roly's Bistro and Ballsbridge Motors have temporarily shut. Oh the humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭plodder

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I've heard that both Roly's Bistro and Ballsbridge Motors have temporarily shut. Oh the humanity.
    Where will I get lunch and who will do the valet? Call RTE at once! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Felt it was bad enough this morning.
    there lots of huge broken branches. lots of debris.
    Got hit in the head by a flying hard hat. it had just blown off a brazilian lads head.
    saw a lady getting smashed by a portaloo that blew accross the road.
    it did not feel one bit safe under the trees along the canal. and the fecking dust everwhere was mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

Cambridge Road, Ringsend, Dublin 4

461672.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Seems theres another one one the way for Sunday. Might make the GDBR a bit more interesting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Exciting cycle in about an hour and a half ago.
    Serious amount of debris and big lumps of branches down. Traffic just about as considerate as usual.
    Not too bad to pedal in, just getting grabbed by the wind which was all over the shop.
    Heading out now again to another workshop, really hoping the wind has died down.
    It's colder than I thought!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at least three trees down on glasnevin avenue. one was already dead, just snapped at the base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I'm not feeling so bloody clever now. I've to cycle home against the wind. Should have gotten the bloody bus this morning. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

It’s not bad now but don’t know what anyone would’ve been thinking cycling this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,041 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I do enjoy the annual fight between the "careful nows" and the "it'll be grands".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Took the Luas in this morning. Wasn't worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Took the Luas in this morning. Wasn't worth the risk.
    Yes, the Luas isn't worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bit of a strong wind heading home, but was mostly fine. Worst of the weather it seemed was during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

Lumen wrote: »
    I do enjoy the annual fight between the "careful nows" and the "it'll be grands".

And it was ... grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

C3PO wrote:
    And it was ... grand!

Sure was.. especially for the two people that lost their lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Sure was.. especially for the two people that lost their lives!

Neither of whom were cycling in the storm, which is what this thread is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

One was in a car which would provide far more protection getting hit by a tree than a bike would. Point being the risk of injury or worse was increased exponentially. Left the bike at home and hit the gym myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

One was in a car which would provide far more protection getting hit by a tree than a bike would. Point being the risk of injury or worse was increased exponentially. Left the bike at home and hit the gym myself.

I cycled in this morning with my two feet up on the handlebars. It was piss easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

How did you get to the gym?

• Advertisement

well, i managed to pick up a couple of chunks of wood from windfall which hopefully i can make something of on the lathe. i should try to jerry rig a lathe which is pedal powered, but that might make holding the tools tricky.

Advertisement