Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in this 'storm'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Pretty blowy around NCD this morning but warm enough for shorts and dry enough for the good bike still

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

With the wind, sun and warmth, it's great drying weather. On to load 2 of the bloody big collection of duvets that were building up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

zell12 wrote: »
    Yeah yeah but tomorrow 21c!
    Sunny and dry

Yep, wetter Thursday, windy Friday, and should've built an ark weather on Saturday. Defo out for a short spin tomorrow and maybe a mud run around Masseys on Thursday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Looks like the Sleive Bloom Extreme Challenge on saturday might just be a little bit more extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Looks like the Sleive Bloom Extreme Challenge on saturday might just be a little bit more extreme
    Are you doing it?

(I was hoping to until Mrs WA decided to go to the USA this weekend. :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ya, there's supposed to be a bunch of us from CRC going over. A day getting battered by wind and rain on a mountain in Offaly .... sounds like good craic
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Ya, there's supposed to be a bunch of us from CRC going over. A day getting battered by wind and rain on a mountain in Offaly .... sounds like good craic
    :D:D

Half in Laois don't forget not that getting battered by rain and wind in Laois is any better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Close to adding myself to the wimp list on Friday. The only thing making me reluctant is traffic will be mental too... And a tailwind in, and due to drop from 9ish on the east coast.

Edit - looks like it'll be taken out of my hands as need the car now on Friday anyway! I'm no wimp, even if I'm not simply the best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Im gonna bring the bring the bike into work tomoro and attempt the 40km spin home afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im normally pretty knackered by Friday, so if ive had 4 days on the bike it wont take much to push me onto the train.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Back to 50-50 on whether I need the car. Looking at the lines of cars I was cycling past this morning, on just a normal damp day, I think I'll be loading the bike and seeing how it is in the morning (if the car isn't needed) and make the call then. The forecasted wind seems to be dropping off fairly quickly in the morning, and while wet (which will make traffic worse), winds are reasonable for the evening commute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

traffic seems to have been really heavy this week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Fian

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Back to 50-50 on whether I need the car. Looking at the lines of cars I was cycling past this morning, on just a normal damp day, I think I'll be loading the bike and seeing how it is in the morning (if the car isn't needed) and make the call then. The forecasted wind seems to be dropping off fairly quickly in the morning, and while wet (which will make traffic worse), winds are reasonable for the evening commute.

Traffic was terrible this morning. There were cars pulling u-turns ebcause they were sick of being caught in traffic. Two near misses for me, one where a stopped car suddenly decided to reverse to let the car in front pull a u-turn without realising i was stopped behind her :eek: - said to myself no i won't pass then teh car in front of her clearly wants to pull accross the road to do a u-turn i will be nice and safe and stop behind the car which is stopped behind it.

Separate incident yesterday evening - I signalled turning right, waited for one car to pass then did pull accross to right hand turning lane, van behind me was anxious to get to the lights and not impressed that he had to wait until I crossed to middle of road. Punishment passed on my left hand side, literally less than 6 inches, driver gave me the finger in sider mirror as he passed. After i had turned off main road I took down details, time, date, number plate, model of van etc. I have no camera/recording of it. I am wondering if there is any point reporting to traffic watch without video footage? This was one of te closest punishment passes i have experienced, if not the closeest. I could kind of hear it coming from teh revs of his engine so I wasn't startled but was still very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fian wrote: »
    Traffic was terrible this morning. There were cars pulling u-turns ebcause they were sick of being caught in traffic. Two near misses for me, one where a stopped car suddenly decided to reverse to let the car in front pull a u-turn without realising i was stopped behind her :eek: - said to myself no i won't pass then teh car in front of her clearly wants to pull accross the road to do a u-turn i will be nice and safe and stop behind the car which is stopped behind it.

Separate incident yesterday evening - I signalled turning right, waited for one car to pass then did pull accross to right hand turning lane, van behind me was anxious to get to the lights and not impressed that he had to wait until I crossed to middle of road. Punishment passed on my left hand side, literally less than 6 inches, driver gave me the finger in sider mirror as he passed. After i had turned off main road I took down details, time, date, number plate, model of van etc. I have no camera/recording of it. I am wondering if there is any point reporting to traffic watch without video footage? This was one of te closest punishment passes i have experienced, if not the closeest. I could kind of hear it coming from teh revs of his engine so I wasn't startled but was still very dangerous.

Was the employer details visible on the van? You might have a better chance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I don't think Dublin will be hit that bad tomorrow.
    Looks mostly like a west of Ireland thing with the storm having shifted more out to sea.
    Their will be gusts but nothing worse than most have cycled in before so ill be on the bike, especially after seeing that traffic this morning.

Obviously ill gauge again in the morning but as of now, that's my plan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In the weather thread it's looking like Monday & Tuesday might be worse now.

That said, I don't fancy cycling in gusts of 50 knots tomorrow morning, less so if there's to be more people on the road doing stupid things in there cars.

That said, Friday and Monday are slightly less busy traffic wise than Tuesday-Wednesday.

Ah yeah, I'm not going to take what I view as unnecessary risks. Everyone has to use their own judgement (if that's still allowed in this state - I'm not sure personal responsibility still exists does it?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    In the weather thread it's looking like Monday & Tuesday might be worse now.
    and you'll never guess when i'm expecting the windows in the house to be replaced?

Ah yeah, I'm not going to take what I view as unnecessary risks. Everyone has to use their own judgement (if that's still allowed in this state - I'm not sure personal responsibility still exists does it?)

For me, it's more the OH isn't keen on me cycling at the best of times. I'm fortunate that I can walk much of the way if I wanted though, walking 8 km into a 50 knot headwind sounds a pita.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't think Dublin will be hit that bad tomorrow.

Weather on morning Ireland this morning said it would be overnight and then into the morning rush hour in the east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'm getting the train tomorrow (Dublin), wind will peak around 2AM , it might have eased off a bit by 7-8am , if you tend to cycle in bad weather, it probably wont be any worse

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,424 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A PB for me today. 1 hour 17 seconds to get from Killiney to Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I cycled in this morning, it was a toasty 15 degrees.

Nervous about the way home though. If it's bad I'll walk with the bike. It's more the gusts I'd be afraid of and the route I take, Fr Mathew Bridge anyone? leathal at the best of times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cgcsb wrote: »
    I cycled in this morning, it was a toasty 15 degrees.

Nervous about the way home though. If it's bad I'll walk with the bike. It's more the gusts I'd be afraid of and the route I take, Fr Mathew Bridge anyone? leathal at the best of times.

Just back from a lunch time spin and it was fine. Looking at the met.ie wind map the heavy winds aren't hitting the south coast until 10pm so you should be fine going home. Tomorrow is looking very stormy and Saturday very wet so I don't reckon I'll be back on the bike until Sunday.

A few of the weather models coming on board with strong winds tomorrow afternoon on the East Coast, which would probably change things for me. It'd be one thing going in borderline in the expectation of being over the worst and the afternoon being relatively calm, but potentially the evening commute could be worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

YR doesn't seem to be indicating huge winds for Shankill area tomorrow! 10m/s at 6.00am and only 5m/s at 5.00pm! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

A few of the weather models coming on board with strong winds tomorrow afternoon on the East Coast, which would probably change things for me. It'd be one thing going in borderline in the expectation of being over the worst and the afternoon being relatively calm, but potentially the evening commute could be worse!

That's the deal breaker for me. I wouldn't mind sailing into work on the crest of a big wind. It's another thing cycling home into it.

Fook that.

I've to transport a relatively large cake into work that would be pretty comical on a bike anyway, but night on stupid tomorrow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've to transport a relatively large cake into work that would be pretty comical on a bike anyway, but night on stupid tomorrow

This is my most favourite reason for not cycling I've ever heard :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cross-head all the way in tomorrow. Yippee.

Advertisement