Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in this 'storm'

Options
  • 19-09-2018 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Just wondering am I the only halfwit getting ready to cycle to work in these gusts this morning 🀣
    Dublin Central based

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

I did.

Two PR's on roads I've been cycling for years makes it worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Euro Fred wrote: »
    I did.

Two PR's on roads I've been cycling for years makes it worth it

LOL knowing my luck the wind will be in my face the whole way.

Thank god I 'forgot' to train legs yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

italodisco wrote: »
    LOL knowing my luck the wind will be in my face the whole way.

Thank god I 'forgot' to train legs yesterday!

Wind always seems to be in my face, like it changes direction to spite me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Nothing too bad about this morning, although it was mostly a cross tail wind so might be a bit different on the way home

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Didnt find the wind off-putting or that strong this morning. it is quite warm (15 degrees) to cycle in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Obviously none of you work in Sandyford Industrial Estate which seems to have its own micro-climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It's not too bad out there, but i wouldn't cycle across the east link though. Actually not going to run across today, not worth the risk

Well as predicted the wind made sure it fought me the whole way, never had such a pump in my quads and hams like that before lol

In terms of safety its fine for cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have to be in the car today, but I would've cycled in it how it was when I left. Definitely picked up here in Dublin 4 since 8 though (as forecast to be fair).

I was in work before 7.30, but even at that hour it was the worse traffic so far since the autumn. I think it'd still be worth cycling considering what traffic is probably like at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I like pushing boundaries on my bike, but always be wary of mother nature! Be careful folks

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I like pushing boundaries on my bike, but always be wary of mother nature! Be careful folks

Since when are courier vans referred to as 'mother nature' lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

got the train, it seemed ok around where I live but it is gusty now out west Dublin way.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Crosswinds are the problem but not if you are expecting them though, but did see some Dublin bike users get caught out one girl nearly came a cropper lucky enough traffic was just leaving the junction where she broke a red light and was a it back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Obviously none of you work in Sandyford Industrial Estate which seems to have its own micro-climate.

Ah, it's not too bad up here this morning. We'll have to wait and see how it develops.

Don't think I'd be cycling if I was on the West coast though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Limerick was fine, so maybe most of the strong winds passed by earlier this morning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Took the bus and left a bit earlier, partly to allay the fears of the OH, partly as Ballymun road is like Tornado Alley when there's a breeze, but mostly as I knew there would be awful traffic which there was. People blocking lanes aplenty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

italodisco wrote: »
    In terms of safety its fine for cycling

Best thing is for people to look out their window.

My road is littered with lots of small broken branches and twigs, got an almighty bang on the car roof from one when dropping the kids to school. I wouldn't go cycling in that today as it's likely I'd get a smack in the face of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Some crap on the road and (on my route - Deansgrange to Citywest) a lot of strong crosswinds.

Drivers were great - plenty of space given.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hurrache wrote: »
    Best thing is for people to look out their window.
    Well I wouldn't set off in it, as it is now. It wasn't as bad at my normal commute time. But this was always the predicted peak wind period, so if I was on the bike I would've been in before the worst and heading home after the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

a few leans into the wind made me feel like I was Niki Terpstra or Tom Boonen tearing up the Ronde. sketchy on exposed dual carriageway areas but all in all a pleasurable enough free wheel 20km ride into town

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Glad I didn't cycle today, seen a few people nearly going backwards in the Phoenix Park this morning. Plus there was lots of debris flying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I cycled in, I didn't see another cyclist for a few miles and was thinking 'uh oh, I never got the memo' but then came across a few around Castleknock & the Park. I had to stop a couple of times as the cross wind was horrendous in places and I walked across the M50 bridge in Castleknock. It took me about 7 mins longer than usual between the stopping and taking it very easy. It's supposed to clear up by lunchtime (I hope). I was prepared to get off and walk with the bike if necessary. I really couldn't face using PT..

Oddly, traffic was definitely giving more space when overtaking, the buses down the quays were staying well back. I heard them say on the radio a few times last night and this morning asking drivers to slow down and watch out for cyclists an pedestrians. Pity they don't drive like that all the time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I work in Sandyford and live in North West Wicklow, I try to cycle home twice a week (take the car in with the bike in the back, the missus drives it home) and the wind is nearly always a headwind all the way home!
    As its pretty much a southwesterly cycle, its no surprise giving this is the prevailing wind in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Cycled into Waterford this morning, headwind all the way with some tasty gusts at times.
    I missed the heavy rain by 10 minutes.
    All part of Project HTFU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Haha. I always stop off to get a coffee in starbucks at the beacon. There is wind tunnel there and on a mild breezy day it hits you hard, today was just hilarious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i sometimes use the luas stop at central park - i won't be surprised to hear someday that someone was blown onto the loas tracks in front of a luas. those buildings seem designed to channel wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

340 watts to do 13.5kph at one point along the Sutton-Clontarf track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Plastik

It was a good day to be coming in from Bré.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

One of the things to watch is cycling by any open gate or side road. Particularly if you're cycling along in a sheltered area, when you come by an exposed gap like that it's easy to get caught off guard and blown out into the middle of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

That place is unbelievably windy! I've never seen wind like it. Lived / worked there for a long time. They could power Ireland from the wind energy up there if they wanted.

Advertisement