Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in this 'storm'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cycling into work today (dublin), the evening looks rotten though for the evening

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

well, i managed to pick up a couple of chunks of wood from windfall which hopefully i can make something of on the lathe. i should try to jerry rig a lathe which is pedal powered, but that might make holding the tools tricky.
    That brings back memories of the tragic sinking of the MV Kilkenny back in the early 1990's. Planks of wood were washed up along the coast of north Co Dublin for weeks afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

well, i managed to pick up a couple of chunks of wood from windfall which hopefully i can make something of on the lathe. i should try to jerry rig a lathe which is pedal powered, but that might make holding the tools tricky.
    You need a volunteer:

girardengo-lathe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Cycling in a storm is dangerous and irresponsible. You might think your only putting yourself at risk but you are selfish and dont think about others on the road who may get hurt because of your stupidity.

Yea real brave though.

If you want to be healthy and not drive then walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

N11 cycle lanes full of leaves/ twigs and branches. Still, could've been worse, could've been stuck in the traffic mayhem, or waiting on a bus (whatever was going on with them!).

• Advertisement

Mr.H wrote: »
    Cycling in a storm is dangerous and irresponsible. You might think your only putting yourself at risk but you are selfish and dont think about others on the road who may get hurt because of your stupidity.

Yea real brave though.

No one killed off a bike. One killed in a car. So were all the car drivers also irresponsible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Macy0161 wrote:
    No one killed off a bike. One killed in a car. So were all the car drivers also irresponsible?

Doesnt matter where they were killed. Ridiculous whataboutary argument.

How many people died surfing in last years storms?

Does that mean they were right to do so?

You might think you are only placing yourself in danger but what about the motorist that has to sway to avoid you or the pedestrian you smack into and kill. People like that should have their bikes confiscated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

You might think you are only placing yourself in danger but what about the motorist that has to sway to avoid you or the pedestrian you smack into and kill. People like that should have their bikes confiscated.

Why does this upset you so much?

What about the motorist who has to serve because of a high sided vehicle, which I saw yesterday? Everyone in the wrong except the people in cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

It's best for people to assess the risk themselves. There were fewer bikes out yesterday because people decided themselves it wasn't worth it. You can't know the details of anyone's journey: whether it is on separated cycle paths etc. Also, you can't know how important any particular journey is. It's the same when people are advised not to drive during storms. You don't generally get cyclists showing up calling for people's cars to be confiscated. People will mostly heed the advice anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Well I got up yesterday and heard the storm starting so cycled in earlier than normal and avoided the brunt of it. For me atleast coming in from the Malahide road it was fine. but that was around 7:30am. it did pickup after that and on my way home saw a branch down opposite busarus (universal links on Human rights). but tbh, that could have hit anyone, walking, commuter, car. deffo was fine for me cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It was a struggle on a the uni-cycle, but much safer than my neighbour who took the penny-farthing. He might as well have put a sail up. At least there's less mass on the uni, worse I could have done was blackened someone's toenail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Won't someone think of the cyclists?

Won't someone think of the cyclists?
    It's not about cyclists. It's what may happen to one motorist, in this theoretical incident.

Perhaps they could point to an example from this country, as I'm not aware of happening under any previous Orange wind warnings (or Red for that matter), or when Orange warning conditions prevailed before we had this current warning system. The only travel deaths I recall were motorists, through trees or branches falling on cars or when they got out when the road was blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

You might think you are only placing yourself in danger but what about the motorist cyclist that has to sway to avoid you or the pedestrian you smack into and kill. People like that should have their bikes cars confiscated.

This statement can be made every day of the week storm or not storm due to dangerous driving on our roads.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

If someone wants to do a Bodhi and head out surfing in a storm then good luck to them. If they don't make it back, then don't you think they considered that option and accepted the risk? I see absolutely no issue with this. And yes - they were right to do so because it's their own life. For me this falls right into the category of doing whatever you want as long it doesn't hurt other people (the public, not the surfer's family).

You might have a point about cars having to swerve to avoid a cyclist in the wind, but seriously - cyclists killing pedestrians??!! Doesn't happen in Ireland. And anyway, as any cyclist knows, the wind is always blowing into your face, slowing you down - so in fact when it's windy, cyclists are going slower which would reduce the impact of any collision with a pedestrian. Ergo - cyclists present less of a risk to pedestrians when its windy. Cycle away!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What about those bloody walkists, getting blown all over the gaff. They could get blown out in front of a car resulting in a slight increase in pulse rate for the poor motorist. Or the could get blown into another walkist resulting in creased and crumpled clothing.

Won't someone please think of the walkists?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

It's the perambulists I'm concerned for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Obviously none of you work in Sandyford Industrial Estate which seems to have its own micro-climate.

There's often a gale howling down the hill from the Beacon to the Luas line, even if the wind is mild elsewhere. I think the configuration of the buildings must channel the wind or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Or maybe a butterfly flapped it's wings in China.

• Advertisement

Yea real brave though.

I cycled both days ... with my kids in a cargo bike.

Booyah!

They were windsurfing *before* the storm. Several hours before.

At least you didn't say they were kite surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Since I am apparently dangerous, irresponsible, selfish, and stupid for having cycled to and from work yesterday, you shouldn't be at all surprised to hear that I really don't care what you think.

(P.S. you forgot to add "sarcastic" to your list.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

steamsey wrote: »
    If someone wants to do a Bodhi and head out surfing in a storm then good luck to them. If they don't make it back, then don't you think they considered that option and accepted the risk? I see absolutely no issue with this. And yes - they were right to do so because it's their own life. For me this falls right into the category of doing whatever you want as long it doesn't hurt other people (the public, not the surfer's family).

You might have a point about cars having to swerve to avoid a cyclist in the wind, but seriously - cyclists killing pedestrians??!! Doesn't happen in Ireland. And anyway, as any cyclist knows, the wind is always blowing into your face, slowing you down - so in fact when it's windy, cyclists are going slower which would reduce the impact of any collision with a pedestrian. Ergo - cyclists present less of a risk to pedestrians when its windy. Cycle away!

I’ve great respectf for our Ambulance and Fire service, but I do think the RNLI and the coast guard (Rescue 116) put their lives on the line each and every time they are called out to rescue people who get into difficulties at sea. Surfers know the risks, yes, but I don’t think they consider the consequences for those who might have to assist them during a storm at sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Actually I think today was worse

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I’ve great respectf for our Ambulance and Fire service, but I do think the RNLI and the coast guard (Rescue 116) put their lives on the line each and every time they are called out to rescue people who get into difficulties at sea. Surfers know the risks, yes, but I don’t think they consider the consequences for those who might have to assist them during a storm at sea.
    I would think that the coast guard and rnli get called far more to leisure boats and eejits in inflatables than they do for surfers. I certainly here more rescues for kite surfers than just surfers. But it's the nature of their sport to be in the water in big waves.

The surfer in Killiney was doing it under a red warning, but Red Warning Conditions weren't actually happening at the time on the East Coast, and he wasn't actually in real, or even apparent, difficulty but someone called the cops. Most likely to get him trouble rather than any concern for his welfare - iirc it was someone walking the coast, also in red warning, also contrary to advice...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, looks like there's another one on the way. keep an eye out in strava for KOMs being set.

Only potentially at this stage, at least on the east coast. Looks like it'll be wet Thursday through to Saturday though, regardless of the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yeah yeah but tomorrow 21c!
    Sunny and dry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Blowy enough out there at lunch up Cruagh way. Saw a lad coming down Stocking lane at a serious lick! Wind always seems against me going uphill on that road for some reason.

Advertisement