Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Jersey Sightings

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Boards-attired rollingscone spotted on Alfie Byrne Road (with Colm18 in tow) at an ungodly hour this morning heading towards Howth.

I see Colm18 was faster on the Howth Hill TT segment - does that mean rs had to buy breakfast.......??!! ;)

Funnily enough I did. Fortunately Colm18 is a climber and therefore cheap to fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

WA near Whitehall church at Collins Ave / M1 interchange this avo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Alek yesterday looking resplendent in his original Boards jersey. Kept him company from Drumcondra out to Santry where I continued out to Swords for a club spin and he turned off for work. Good chat about upcoming cycling plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It was really nice to meet and chat, Mercian Pro!

I just hope the gods of wind were kind to you later that day!

Kind on the run back to St Margarets from Leixlip but anything but on the way out and the last bit home.

Will watch out for you on future trips out to Swords and must start wearing my Boards gear more often.

Just remembered that WA should also get a mention for riding the Tour de Foothills in Boards gear. (See below). His excuse to his club mates was that the club gear was in the wash after the Donegal Bay sportif the day before!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Passed at the lights at bottom of mount merrion heading towards frascati road about half 8 by pink boardsie on white bike

x0zno1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

Probably me on my commute; Booterstown- Dun Laoghaire. Views over the bay to die for but not long enough (~5km).

That's a reply to Grassey.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Met and had a chat with ScreenSaver this morning. Nice to make your acquaintance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

onmebike wrote: »
    Met and had a chat with ScreenSaver this morning. Nice to make your acquaintance!

Nice to meet you too... Hopefully the wind swings about for the spin home.

Skrynesaver, green jersey, Phoenix Park, quarter to six today. Nice to meet you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Alek wrote: »
    Skrynesaver, green jersey, Phoenix Park, quarter to six today. Nice to meet you :)

And yourself, hope you'd a relaxed evening... though looking at your post's time... they were rowdy, weren't they.

PS: Spotted Alex in an old school purple jersey in the park as he whizzed by my decrepit aging self.

they were rowdy, weren't they.

You bet :)

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

onmebike wrote: »

I think I've just comprehended the pun in their username!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Spotted full boards kit heading towards Lusk from Skerries around 6.30pm yesterday evening. I was in the car so couldn’t wave/shout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Spotted full boards kit heading towards Lusk from Skerries around 6.30pm yesterday evening. I was in the car so couldn’t wave/shout
    Guilty as charged! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Guilty as charged! :)

It's almost always you! Do you just cycle round all day in boards gear?
    Best. Job. Ever.

Mercian Pro sporting the pink/green bibs today. Unfortunately the same bibs had an abrasive encounter with the tarmac around Hollystown when 3 of the group hit the deck at those stupid rubber speed cushions. Get well soon MP.

Mercian Pro sporting the pink/green bibs today. Unfortunately the same bibs had an abrasive encounter with the tarmac around Hollystown when 3 of the group hit the deck at those stupid rubber speed cushions. Get well soon MP.

Thanks WA and the rest of the Swords crew for checking me out and getting me back on my feet. Fortunately my injuries amounted to cuts and bruises and nothing more serious. While the Boards bib tights gave some protection to my hip and ankle, my Mistral jacket saved my arm from much worse abrasion with not a mark on the sleeve.

Ironically, I had written to Fingal County Council last November giving out about the design of those speed cushions and predicting that they were an accident waiting to happen. Little did I know that I would be the one to prove my point 😩

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmm; IIRC a local authority is not legally liable for a road hazard if they've not previously been warned about it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hardcourr LUAS stop just now. Was on the LUAS so not shout out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Those speed bumps in Hollystown are a nightmare. On several occasions I have skirted the edge of them.
    Hope all is ok MP!

koutoubia wrote: »
    Those speed bumps in Hollystown are a nightmare. On several occasions I have skirted the edge of them.
    Hope all is ok MP!

Yes K, it's the vertical edges that really worry me. This is the reply I got from Fingal: "I refer to your correspondences with Fingal County Council regarding the installation of Traffic Calming in Hollystown. The installation of traffic calming in Hollystown is installed as per the guidelines. There is also appropriate signage indicating the traffic calming. All road user must slow down and use due care when travelling on the road."

I followed up by asking what guidelines they were referring to and heard nothing. Yesterday I thought one of the cyclists ahead of me had touched an edge but now I think it was more the group lining up to go between the cushion and the centre line that caused two wheels to touch. I have followed up with Fingal again this morning and, once I figure out who is responsible for road design, will raise it with them as well.

Quite sore this morning as expected and a swollen ankle that has since gone down. A visit to Humphries with my mangled back wheel was painful as well😟

Hmm, where are these? Presumably near the golf course? I'm always near there, but been a while since I've turned towards Hollystown.

Also, somewhat related, there is a new set of traffic lights going in at the bottom of the hill in Naul. Location to me seems like it's designed to slow cyclists down coming into the town as the school is further back up the hill.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Hmm, where are these? Presumably near the golf course? I'm always near there, but been a while since I've turned towards Hollystown....
    Yes, they are on the Ratoath Road just along the side of the golf club (after the roundabout featuring a golfer 'swinging').

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

pink jersey this morning around 8:30 heading away from blackrock at the joe duffy garage

Yes, they are on the Ratoath Road just along the side of the golf club (after the roundabout featuring a golfer 'swinging').

It never occurred to me that the sculpture was a golfer. I pass that roundabout a lot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It never occurred to me that the sculpture was a golfer. I pass that roundabout a lot too.
    Never occurred to me either, I always thought he was swinging a hammer :o

Just after getting a pinch flat outside the garage there. I was keeping left to avoid the ramps and ended up hitting a pothole hard :mad: Pity they didn't fix the road before putting in the ramps. Get well soon Mercian Pro!

I know we are a long way off topic here but these are the offending speed cushions:

famts0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I know we are a long way off topic here but these are the offending speed cushions:

This type were recently installed in River Valley in Swords, even for some cars , they're too wide.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to think it was some sort of soviet style sculpture of a worker swinging a hammer.

rushfan wrote: »
    This type were recently installed in River Valley in Swords, even for some cars , they're too wide.

I think they are designed to be too wide for cars so as to slow them but narrow enough for buses to go over them without bumping. If they were the Tarmac ones with a smooth junction with the road surface they would be a lot safer and no bother to cycle over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭devonp

WA, Dame st this morning, pink (old or new ?) kit, on a Fuji

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

What do these jerseys look like? I'm on the road every day in Dublin, haven't seen any.

depends on the vintage...can't remember the colour order by year (or order), mainly black
    mine has the green and pink vertical stripe on front with BOARDS.IE on the back
    if your doing up an order i need the bibs in medium..:p

there's a thread with the last ordering here somewhere with a pic i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What do these jerseys look like? I'm on the road every day in Dublin, haven't seen any.

boards_kit_2010.jpg

60p2xFC.jpg

For next year's Hill Climb, we'll have to get a group photo with the full range of Board's jerseys.

I'd still love a green one in medium if anyone is tired of their's :)

I rarely see them and I'm rarely spotted either. If I took Drumcondra instead of Ballymun road I bet I'd be spotted more frequently

Randonnee today, great weather and a super burger

Brief chat with Needmoregears, MercianPro, Terry & a wave to Colm18 at the finish

• Advertisement

Green jersey coming down from Sally Gap towards Enniskerry/Glencree while I was on my way up. We crossed paths on a bend just as a car overtook you into my path and then squeezed back in in front of you...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Green jersey coming down from Sally Gap towards Enniskerry/Glencree while I was on my way up. We crossed paths on a bend just as a car overtook you into my path and then squeezed back in in front of you...

Myself. Makes for a hairy descent when you've got cars crossing into your lane to overtake climbing groups. Fantastic day outside of that and was pleased to have the climbing done before the hottest part of the morning.

Quite a few Boardsies on the Orwell Randonnée yesterday but I think devonp was the only one sporting Boards gear. Thought I might see you somewhere along the way but I suspect you were always quite a bit ahead of myself and Daroxstar.

smacl wrote: »
    Myself. Makes for a hairy descent when you've got cars crossing into your lane to overtake climbing groups. Fantastic day outside of that and was pleased to have the climbing done before the hottest part of the morning.

Lots of crazy overtaking when heading towards Roundwood from Laragh. The closest one, I was only alerted to because a car in the big line of traffic heading towards Glendalough beeped at the idiot. White van man in a hurry at 10:45 am gave me cms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Colm18 (bib shorts) and devonp (Jersey) at the randonee on Saturday. I was only sporting a boards cap. Thought I saw Mercian pro in disguise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

A fellow boardsie overtook me at Howth summit shop. Have a call out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was up Howth head early this afternoon. Pink jersey so it could have been me you saw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I was up Howth head early this afternoon. Pink jersey so it could have been me you saw!

It was at about 15:50. Looking at FlyBy on Strava it looks like it was NeedMoreGears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Someone up the top of the featherbeds this evening about 6 enjoying the sun.

older pink boards jersey descending cruagh at the flat middle bit about 6.30pm
    same as above??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭koutoubia

boardsie quaffing coffee in Boughil @ circa 11.30 am this morning. Didnt say hello as we were waiting on ours and was tight on time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement