Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam marathon April 8th 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Looking forward to this one. What races have people targeted in the build up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

healy1835 wrote: »

Trim 10 mile in my build up for it, that was it. Was no Half Marathon suitable build up wise in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

there's a Carlingford half marathon at the beginning of March, which doesn't sound great but so far seems to be my best option for a half in the buildup ...

Also Raheny 5, maybe Trim 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Depending on where you live I guess. Highly recommend - Raheny 5, Trim 10 Mile, Bohermeen 1/2 if Leinster based.

I signed up again, hopefully making it my 4th time heading over (touches wood!). It's a great race.

Sorry Ray, tradition is tradition! We will be in Murphy's, a pretty woeful Irish pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

RayCun wrote: »
    there's a Carlingford half marathon at the beginning of March, which doesn't sound great but so far seems to be my best option for a half in the buildup ...

Yeah had Raheny pencilled in alright, but hadn't really looked at anything else.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Starting this now, so Krusty can get in early and nominate a pub that serves decent beer :)
    So that everyone can ignore it and go to the Irish pub anyway. :) Actually, the Irish pub was pretty decent. So while there are better options, no complaints from me. :D I'll have some decent beer tucked away in my bag for afterwards, but perhaps I'll skip the 10% Westy this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

I'm considering doing a spring marathon next year as I don't think I can wait a whole year to get last Sunday's debacle out of my system. This looks to be a popular one so would anyone know how soon I would need to register before it sells out?

Derco wrote: »
    I'm considering doing a spring marathon next year as I don't think I can wait a whole year to get last Sunday's debacle out of my system. This looks to be a popular one so would anyone know how soon I would need to register before it sells out?
    This year (2017) was the first year it sold out, if memory serves. I think it sold out around February, but I'd imagine it'll be a bit sooner for this year's cycle (seems to be the way these things are going). You can avail of an insurance option (for an extra €10 if memory serves), whereby you can defer your entry for a year, if it doesn't look like you're going to make the start line.

Ryanair flights via Amsterdam are around €90 return at the moment, so it's a good time to book flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Would Bohermeen be any use date wise? Info here https://www.myrunresults.com/events/meath_spring_half_marathon__10k/2427/details.

Carlingford is hilly but a great race (my first half).

Thanks KC. Might give it a week or two before deciding as the prospect of having to train over Christmas isn't too appealing.

Btw I read the thread on last years race - that was savage running well done.

• Advertisement

This year (2017) was the first year it sold out, if memory serves. I think it sold out around February, but I'd imagine it'll be a bit sooner for this year's cycle (seems to be the way these things are going). You can avail of an insurance option (for an extra €10 if memory serves), whereby you can defer your entry for a year, if it doesn't look like you're going to make the start line.

Ryanair flights via Amsterdam are around €90 return at the moment, so it's a good time to book flights.

Thanks KC. Might give it a week or two before deciding as the prospect of having to train over Christmas isn't too appealing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I really should leave this thread and avoid entering this race again until I know for sure I'll be able to do it. Exam the following week...hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Would Bohermeen be any use date wise? Info here https://www.myrunresults.com/events/meath_spring_half_marathon__10k/2427/details.

Carlingford is hilly but a great race (my first half).

yeah, Bohermeen is an option, but its a week later, only 3 weeks from the marathon...
    I don't know, one to think about... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I haven't done a marathon before and I always thought I'd have Cork or Dublin as a "debut" at some stage. Must say, I'm considering this though.

Plus points: I can get there by train handy easily enough. Flat course.

Minus points: Flat course! (In some ways, I wouldn't mind having a few more excuses with a first race. And a flat course might encourage me to be over-ambitious).

Hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Derco wrote: »

Depending on what you want, training over Christmas can work very well for zero hangovers :pac:. I trained for Rotterdam the winter before last, much easier than training through the summer TBH and although I never made the start line this is a superb race by all accounts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

yeah, Bohermeen is an option, but its a week later, only 3 weeks from the marathon...
    I don't know, one to think about... :confused:

For me that's too close for a flat out half, might work for some people. I'd probably do it at MP or some other sort of session though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

So that everyone can ignore it and go to the Irish pub anyway. :) Actually, the Irish pub was pretty decent. So while there are better options, no complaints from me. :D I'll have some decent beer tucked away in my bag for afterwards, but perhaps I'll skip the 10% Westy this time around.
    Murphys doesnt serve Guinness, it serves Murphys which means for me drinking Heineken which as everyone knows is piss. The alternative to Heineken of corse is sobriety because I wouldnt force Carlsberg on someone as a form of punshment. Apart from this Rotterdam is a great event. Every bit as good as Dublin except no McGrattans with their excelent Guinness and entertainingly ignorant bar staff. I hope to make it to the start line next April myself. Fingers crossed.

druss wrote: »
    I haven't done a marathon before and I always thought I'd have Cork or Dublin as a "debut" at some stage. Must say, I'm considering this though.

Plus points: I can get there by train handy easily enough. Flat course.

Minus points: Flat course! (In some ways, I wouldn't mind having a few more excuses with a first race. And a flat course might encourage me to be over-ambitious).

Hmmmm.

No offence to Cork but it's unfair to compare the two races, they are on different planets in terms of organisation, course and atmosphere. In fact, I think the race is a good notch above DCM, again in terms of organisation and atmosphere. The only downside is the chaotic nature of the start but that's probably most down to my own preperation!

The Dutch just do marathons very well in general. I really like the water in cups, especially as when again reminded of the danger, never mind the waste, seen on the streets of Dublin on Sunday. The only negative with the course is the hairpin turn. Asides from that, it's a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

No offence to Cork but it's unfair to compare the two races, they are on different planets in terms of organisation, course and atmosphere. In fact, I think the race is a good notch above DCM, again in terms of organisation and atmosphere. The only downside is the chaotic nature of the start but that's probably most down to my own preperation!

The Dutch just do marathons very well in general. I really like the water in cups, especially as when again reminded of the danger, never mind the waste, seen on the streets of Dublin on Sunday. The only negative with the course is the hairpin turn. Asides from that, it's a cracker.

No offence taken! Cork is my "home-town" marathon. Dublin is the big Irish event, so I had them both on the wish list accordingly!

BTW, and I presume many will have noticed this already, the registration price for Rotterdam is €65 until midnight (CET time) tonight and then goes up to €72.50 until January 2018 and then up to €81.50.

So I might pay up now (and the €5 insurance/cancellation fee).

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Great. Only 2 days since DCM and now I'm tempted by this.
    Where do people normally stay?

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Murphys doesnt serve Guinness, it serves Murphys which means for me drinking Heineken which as everyone knows is piss. The alternative to Heineken of corse is sobriety because I wouldnt force Carlsberg on someone as a form of punshment. Apart from this Rotterdam is a great event. Every bit as good as Dublin except no McGrattans with their excelent Guinness and entertainingly ignorant bar staff. I hope to make it to the start line next April myself. Fingers crossed.
    Would be great to see you there. Also, I know for a fact that they keep some nice beers tucked away in a sneaky fridge, under the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

This might not suit work wise, has anybody ever done Dusseldorf or Mannheim. Seem to be smaller set up which I like, or I might just wait for Cork.

noelearly wrote: »
    This might not suit work wise, has anybody ever done Dusseldorf or Mannheim. Seem to be smaller set up which I like, or I might just wait for Cork.
    I find the Search box really handy for finding feedback on a particular marathon. Just search up a level [Athletics / Running] and include sub-forums.

Dusseldorf Marathon
    Mannheim

Not much there for either race, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

I ran Rotterdam three times.

Excellent marathon.city centre start and finish,

fast train from Amsterdam airport only 25 mins.

any hotel near Rotterdam central train station is walking distance to marathon.

great buzz in the city after the race.

flat course.

slightly later start then normal marathons, so on a warm day ,you are running in the midday sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

I find the Search box really handy for finding feedback on a particular marathon. Just search up a level [Athletics / Running] and include sub-forums.

Dusseldorf Marathon
    Mannheim

Not much there for either race, I'm afraid.

Yeah doesn't seem to much info about on either.

Different start area in Rotterdam this year according to the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

In 2016 and 2017 I ran the Kinvara half marathon as prep for Rotterdam. Iirc there's about 5 weeks between them.

Rotterdam is a great event in a lovely city. Not impossible that I'd be back next year. Possibly a sub 3 attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Anyone got any info on the start pens for this. I see they have A B and C pens at the start for sub 2.30, sub 2.45 and sub 3.00 respectively. How big are the pens? If you are in C or behind are you likely to get delayed at the start?

Podge83 wrote: »
    Anyone got any info on the start pens for this. I see they have A B and C pens at the start for sub 2.30, sub 2.45 and sub 3.00 respectively. How big are the pens? If you are in C or behind are you likely to get delayed at the start?

I guess that depends a lot on the time you are targeting. Any ballpark figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I qualify to be in Pen C and will be aiming for under 2.50. The thoughts of being 3 pens back seems like a long way but I imagine A and B would be fairly small pens. Don't want to go to the effort of going if I'm stuck in a crowd!!??.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Accommodation is starting to fill up quick over there for that weekend! Does anyone have any recommendations for decent accommodation that is still available? I saw that the Easy Hotel is still available in the City Centre, looks very close to the start line, anyone have any experience with that hotel?

Advertisement