Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam marathon April 8th 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

I recall that pens are both sides of a dual carriage way

eg A then C behind

B then D behind,

so it moves quickly.

also have portaloos within pend ,which is a plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

snailsong wrote: »
    In 2016 and 2017 I ran the Kinvara half marathon as prep for Rotterdam. Iirc there's about 5 weeks between them.

Rotterdam is a great event in a lovely city. Not impossible that I'd be back next year. Possibly a sub 3 attempt.

If you go Il go. Its like the magnificant 7 getting the crew back together only theres just 2 of us and we're not magnificant. The mediocre 2 ride again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I'm in again and hoping for the elusive sub 3 this time. I'm going to make a point of moving up to the front of wave 1 (the wave with the sub 3 pacers) as I got caught a long way back last time (the sub 3 wave is huge). When I eventually caught the pacers after about 5 miles I realised I had caught the 3.10 pacers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Hi folks , Im considering Rottterdam 2018 myself. I ran it a few years back but recall it as very windy day and struggled alot with pace. How have conditions been the past couple of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

You can avail of an insurance option (for an extra €10 if memory serves), whereby you can defer your entry for a year, if it doesn't look like you're going to make the start line.

I've bitten the bullet, looks like a merry band planning on it. Flights still look like great value.

The insurance option seems to be just €5 and it allows you exercise a full money back cancellation up to a date in February - must have a different underwriter!

From their website:
    If you are unable to participate in the ‘Marathon’ and you’ve opted for a cancellation insure, you can claim the paid fee and any paid extras till February 19, 2018. If you are unable to participate in the ‘1/4 Marathon’, ‘4.2 km’, ‘2.5 km’ or ‘1 km’ the registration fee paid will not be refunded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

ultrapercy wrote: »
    In 2016 and 2017 I ran the Kinvara half marathon as prep for Rotterdam. Iirc there's about 5 weeks between them.

Rotterdam is a great event in a lovely city. Not impossible that I'd be back next year. Possibly a sub 3 attempt.

If you go Il go. Its like the magnificant 7 getting the crew back together only theres just 2 of us and we're not magnificant. The mediocre 2 ride again!!
    Remember the Blues Brothers getting the band back together. I'm sure we'd get a few, what about your new wife for starters?
    Seriously, I have many options and don't know what I'll do next year. Also a very annoying injury that won t go away.
    You should deffo sign up anyway. Sure you only need 42 seconds and you'll have Krusty to pace you. :D

shane1981 wrote: »
    Hi folks , Im considering Rottterdam 2018 myself. I ran it a few years back but recall it as very windy day and struggled alot with pace. How have conditions been the past couple of years?

Conditions were perfect in 2016. No wind. 9 degrees at the start and 14 by the finish. Very sunny.

Also very good in 2017. Sunny and flat calm again. 12 degrees starting rising to 20 by the finish. Some found that very hot having trained in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sure you only need 42 seconds and you'll have Krusty to pace you. :D
    My mere presence on the start line would all but guarantee Ultrapercy a sub 2:30, as I've never beaten him in a race, and you can be sure he wouldn't let it happen in Rotterdam either. Hard to pace someone when he's two minutes further up the road!

Sure you only need 42 seconds and you'll have Krusty to pace you. :D
    My mere presence on the start line would all but guarantee Ultrapercy a sub 2:30, as I've never beaten him in a race, and you can be sure he wouldn't let it happen in Rotterdam either. Hard to pace someone when he's two minutes further up the road!

Well there's one second per kilometre between ye on most recent showings in Rotterdam. Maybe pace each.other to 2:25!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Decided to run Manchester next April. Might do Rotterdam in 2019 if the body holds together. The very best of luck to everyone making the trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Just signed up to do this, But paid the €5 cancellation fee as will have to see how things are going.
    Now to look for accomadation, Flights etc.
    Planning to go for a sub 3.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Looking at the accomodation, Anybody have any suggestions?
    Seems like most places closer to the start/Finish are booked up or are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

boydkev wrote: »
    Looking at the accomodation, Anybody have any suggestions?
    Seems like most places closer to the start/Finish are booked up or are very expensive.

Stayed at the citizenM in 2016 & would not fault the pace, 1k or so to start and finish and central to all the pubs/restaurants. Currently going at €492 from Friday to Monday for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I'm in for this again.
    I'd a horrible time last time round but when the dust settled it was a great race weekend.
    Hotels seem to be at a bit of a premium but I booked the Bilderberg today. I was in the Nhow last time but I'm finding most places won't take one nighters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I'm in the NH Atlanta. Stayed there last time too. It's literally at the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

I have signed up for this, booked the orion hotel little bit outside the centre. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Stayed in Delft this year, 15 mins on train from Rotterdam -loads of trains, beautiful town with nice bars/restaurants for post marathon celebrations and could be a good alternative to Rotterdam itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

A group of us are all booked into Hotel Rotterdam, seems to have reasonable value still

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Yeah, prices year-on-year are on the rise. What I do is book a place with free cancellation now. Then I take a quickly weekly/fortnight check and hopefully I can get a better place for the same price (or even less money with better location ideally). Hasn't failed me yet! Use the link below to get $40 dollars back off a $200 spent (one time user per account). Just make sure to spend over the 200 dollar mark. Used it before, very handy.

https://www.booking.com/index.en-gb.html?aid=1311838;label=refer-UmFuZG9tSVYkc2RlIyh9YfnS6M1f7d9dHX2CVRsc9GIvD64gVE0yP_ZTwIbN6OnHtjv6IjTWHRvzJ-pSnCE31Q;sid=5b184ed162bf99cab4439326a5710b88;sb_price_type=total&

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PeterParker100

Just entered myself, thanks in no small part to the recommendations on here, cheers guys!

I was looking at Cork or Belfast for a possible spring marathon, however, when adding up the costs, including train travel from Dublin, it's not costing much more to choose Rotterdam.

This will be my 7th marathon and I'll be aiming to crack 3:30, my previous best is 3:48 at DCM 2015, but I've done a lot of running since then, so here's hoping.

I'm also signed up for the Donadea 50k, so will be a busy start to the new year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Rotterdam was my fav out of the 5 I've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

healy1835 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this one. What races have people targeted in the build up?

Wicklow hospice Half is on the 24th Feb so I’m hoping to do that if I’m free. Any other half I’ve looked at is just too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Wicklow hospice Half is on the 24th Feb so I’m hoping to do that if I’m free. Any other half I’ve looked at is just too close.

Bohermeen/Mullingar both roughly 4 weeks out - perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

There's also the Carlingford half on 3rd March - closer than others, but may suit some location wise. Very nice half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

The Wicklow Hospice one may be my tune up. The others are a bit of a drive away but I'm open to any suggestions around Wicklow/Wexford for a half in early March

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The Wicklow Hospice one may be my tune up. The others are a bit of a drive away but I'm open to any suggestions around Wicklow/Wexford for a half in early March

Debra Ireland do one on 11th March (Half and 10k)

Tough off road run, but great training and a great cause

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Bohermeen/Mullingar both roughly 4 weeks out - perfect.

I’m not going to risk Mullibgar-3 weeks is a bit tight for my liking! Might look into Bohermeen though as I’ve heard it’s great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Maybe I missed it and it has already been mentioned, but there's a new route this year. The race actually starts on the Erasmus bridge, so that's one less hill to climb. :D

http://www.nnmarathonrotterdam.org/news/new-role-for-iconic-erasmus-bridge/

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Missed out on Berlin and a spring marathon was plan B.
    I was looking at Manchester but Rotterdam looks more interesting and will probably cost the same !
    Who has ran it and how is the course? Is it flat and PBable?

Oh and Hi Crusty :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Maybe I missed it and it has already been mentioned, but there's a new route this year. The race actually starts on the Erasmus bridge, so that's one less hill to climb. :D

http://www.nnmarathonrotterdam.org/news/new-role-for-iconic-erasmus-bridge/

Have they released an updated map?

Also, for those who have run before, is it pen C that starts at the front, on the other side of the road from the elites? Would that change with the new start, or is it still two lanes at that point?

Advertisement