Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam marathon April 8th 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PeterParker100

This will be my 7th marathon and I'll be aiming to crack 3:30, my previous best is 3:48 at DCM 2015, but I've done a lot of running since then, so here's hoping.

I'm also signed up for the Donadea 50k, so will be a busy start to the new year!

7 and a bit weeks, not so long to go now!

I managed to complete the 50k on Saturday in around 4h50 and am now wondering what training to do now ahead of Rotterdam. I plan on taking it handy this week, the body feels ok though, so might go for a couple of easy runs starting back tomorrow.

I feel I have the endurance so I'm thinking of more tempo runs and speed work with the aim of maintaining 8 minute miles come Rotterdam, throw a couple of 20 milers in too. Going to try to do some strength and conditioning once a week too, something I've neglected previously.

3:30 still might be a long shot came April (my best half was Donabate last year in 1h38).

If any more experienced runners have any other suggestions, I'm all ears :). TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I managed to complete the 50k on Saturday in around 4h50 and am now wondering what training to do now ahead of Rotterdam. I plan on taking it handy this week, the body feels ok though, so might go for a couple of easy runs starting back tomorrow.

I feel I have the endurance so I'm thinking of more tempo runs and speed work with the aim of maintaining 8 minute miles come Rotterdam, throw a couple of 20 milers in too. Going to try to do some strength and conditioning once a week too, something I've neglected previously.

3:30 still might be a long shot came April (my best half was Donabate last year in 1h38).

If any more experienced runners have any other suggestions, I'm all ears :). TIA

Wouldn't claim to be a more experienced runner, but the half in Donabate last year is a lot harder than the first half of Rotterdam.

Mentally prepare yourself for the park towards the end - think it was 35-40km ish. Found this section torture personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

You sound like you have a good plan mapped out already. Do a couple of speed sessions get the legs working again. 3.30 is definetly on judging by your times.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

New route this year...saying they'll post route map soon on facebook. Any hope they'll skip the park of lonely despair???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    New route this year...saying they'll post route map soon on facebook. Any hope they'll skip the park of lonely despair???

I think it's just the start that's changed, starting on the Erasmus Bridge...... I've read conflicting reports on the park in these parts :) hopefully I'll have a good experience in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

healy1835 wrote: »
    ASIMON0V wrote: »
    New route this year...saying they'll post route map soon on facebook.  Any hope they'll skip the park of lonely despair???

I think it's just the start that's changed, starting on the Erasmus Bridge...... I've read conflicting reports on the park in these parts :) hopefully I'll have a good experience in it!
    My memory of the park last year was a guy passed out on the ground being treated by paramedics and thinking to myself "lucky b*stard" :D (he was fine btw) - the park is where you will feel it if you've overcooked in the 1st half especially on a hot day, its late in the race and support is sparse compared to the rest of the route. Keep the head down and just focus on getting out of the park and you know you're on the home stretch then - kinda jealous now I'm not going this year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

My memory of the park last year was a guy passed out on the ground being treated by paramedics and thinking to myself "lucky b*stard" :D (he was fine btw) - the park is where you will feel it if you've overcooked in the 1st half especially on a hot day, its late in the race and support is sparse compared to the rest of the route. Keep the head down and just focus on getting out of the park and you know you're on the home stretch then - kinda jealous now I'm not going this year
    When I hit the park last year, it felt a little like it was the end of the world. The heat was rising, and it just felt like a long bendy road that went on forever. I'm glad that this time around (pending course publication) I know the stretch around the park does have an ending, and how close you are to the finish line at that point. I mean you have basically 2-3kms left, once you turn away from the park. May be a little further this year, as the race has moved forward to the Erasmus bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

When I hit the park last year, it felt a little like it was the end of the world. The heat was rising, and it just felt like a long bendy road that went on forever. I'm glad that this time around (pending course publication) I know the stretch around the park does have an ending, and how close you are to the finish line at that point. I mean you have basically 2-3kms left, once you turn away from the park. May be a little further this year, as the race has moved forward to the Erasmus bridge.

Personally this the park is by far and away the fastest part of the course. The thing is, no matter what, after 20 odd miles the pain will really begin!

I think it's purely psychological thing, asides from the physical fatigue - you know you are running away from the city and finish line.

From memory, the section from roughly the 32km to 36km (before the right turn) mark is the best road surface on course, with beautiful tarmac. From that right turn you can really smell the finish, with the crowds ever increasing.

It's going to hurt though, we all know that :D

Would it be worth going for a little reccie in the park on the Fri or Sat if you're popping your Rotterdam cherry on the Sunday? :)

Would it be worth going for a little reccie in the park on the Fri or Sat if your popping your Rotterdam cherry on the Sunday? :)
    Definitely no harm. Might do it myself. Group meet-up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

If anyone is looking for a hotel room in Rotterdam the marathon weekend I have one going cheap. NS Athlanta very central and close to startline. Ive stayed there twice before for the marathon and it was perfect. I think it was 400 for fri sat sun but Il let it go for a lot less. Drop me a pm if intrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

This might be a shot in the dark but does anyone know if there are any shops in Amsterdam or Rotterdam that sell High5 gels? I don't remember seeing any at the expo last year and a git in security at Dublin airport who made a big deal about my liquid allocation has me nervous about bringing my own
    I've messaged High5 but thought I'd try here too

This might be a shot in the dark but does anyone know if there are any shops in Amsterdam or Rotterdam that sell High5 gels? I don't remember seeing any at the expo last year and a git in security at Dublin airport who made a big deal about my liquid allocation has me nervous about bringing my own

Not sure about buying them over there, but you will not have a problem once they are in your clear liquids bag and it can close. (I've flown through Dublin with lots of gels on lots of occasions without issue)

Me too but last time the clear plastic liquid zip lock bag offended the lad in security in some way.
    He was only short of telling me running was bad for my knees anyway and he was doing me a favour as he chucked the gels in the bin.

Plan B was to buy some over there in case the same happens again.
    I've been through Dublin airport on at least 10 occasions with gels and never had a problem except for this one time.
    Hopefully it was a one off

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Me too but last time the clear plastic liquid zip lock bag offended the lad in security in some way.
    He was only short of telling me running was bad for my knees anyway and he was doing me a favour as he chucked the gels in the bin.

Plan B was to buy some over there in case the same happens again.
    I've been through Dublin airport on at least 10 occasions with gels and never had a problem except for this one time.
    Hopefully it was a one off

Plan C, Send some by post to the hotel (if you are staying in a hotel) and add the note they will be collected by X.

boydkev wrote: »
    Plan C, Send some by post to the hotel (if you are staying in a hotel) and add the note they will be collected by X.

That's just crazy enough to work
    Plus I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that myself

a git in security at Dublin airport who made a big deal about my liquid allocation has me nervous about bringing my own
    As long as you're within the quota, there's no reason or justification for the security team to take these from you. If they try again, simply ask for their superior. Hundreds of runners past through those same security procedures that weekend (myself included) with gels and didn't have any issues. My baggies of porridge on the other hands caused all sorts of consternation (but they'd have to pry those bags from my cold dead hands).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PeterParker100

Talking security, bags, etc...

What's the story with the bag drops on the day? Will it be like Dublin where you can only use a bag they provide? I ask because I'm only staying Saturday night and don't plan on returning to my digs after the race (a cheap Airbnb near Zuidplein station). I fly back to Dublin on the last flight out on Sunday.

When I registered I booked the changing facility, maybe I'll be able to leave a backpack there? Taking a chance my with valuables I know.

It's early to be concerned about such matters I know and I guess we'll get more information closer to the day.

Talking security, bags, etc...

What's the story with the bag drops on the day? Will it be like Dublin where you can only use a bag they provide? I ask because I'm only staying Saturday night and don't plan on returning to my digs after the race (a cheap Airbnb near Zuidplein station). I fly back to Dublin on the last flight out on Sunday.

When I registered I booked the changing facility, maybe I'll be able to leave a backpack there? Taking a chance my with valuables I know.

It's early to be concerned about such matters I know and I guess we'll get more information closer to the day.

As you said, it is a small risk, but there are thousands of bags in numbered shelves. I personally left my phone, wallet etc in it without a worry. Just take the normal precautions (phone on silent so it doesn't draw attention to itself etc) and you'd be very unlucky to have anything go missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Just 6 weeks to go and looking forward to it, But the plan could take a hit this week with the forecast and temperatures that have been forecast. This week is my biggest mileage week on my 12 week plan and leads up to a 20 mile on Sunday. Don't think the 20 miles will be a problem as the fitness is good and weather is supposed to improve.
    Wondering is it a case of gearing up and getting out there during the week. I hate cold weather training!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

boydkev wrote: »
    Just 6 weeks to go and looking forward to it, But the plan could take a hit this week with the forecast and temperatures that have been forecast. This week is my biggest mileage week on my 12 week plan and leads up to a 20 mile on Sunday. Don't think the 20 miles will be a problem as the fitness is good and weather is supposed to improve.
    Wondering is it a case of gearing up and getting out there during the week. I hate cold weather training!!!

It was -11 here in Holland yesterday running a 10k, still warm enough for shorts!! Layer up to what keeps you warm and you’ll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

OOnegative wrote: »
    It was -11 here in Holland yesterday running a 10k, still warm enough for shorts!! Layer up to what keeps you warm and you’ll be grand.

Thing I find most difficult about the current Euro weather is doing some quality in a rep session say. Yesterday I did the HM pace stuff (3x4k) on a treadmill after an 8k warm up (geddit?) outside. Fortunately 'herself' picked me up after the Q stuff cos I would have frozen solid running back home after the reps.

Last Thursday I did 6x1 mile reps and when I turned to go home on the cool down, Christ, I think it was the coldest I'd ever been on a run. The easterly wind... I had a hot chocolate, banana and some kind of bun at home straight afterwards.

Has anyone gone with a pace group in Rotterdam in previous years? I've come across a couple of not exactly glowing references to the pacers, but nothing seemed to crop up in any of the race reports on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Has anyone gone with a pace group in Rotterdam in previous years? I've come across a couple of not exactly glowing references to the pacers, but nothing seemed to crop up in any of the race reports on here.

I've seen some comments on here about pacers not being great - getting stuck in traffic in the first 5k, and tearing off in the next 5k to make up the time

I'll do anything from 3:10 upwards for a hotel room and a couple a pints. I'll hop the barrier at km 1 and take it from there.

Itziger wrote: »
    I'll do anything from 3:10 upwards for a hotel room and a couple a pints. I'll hop the barrier at km 1 and take it from there.

Ha! Sub 3 pacers I'm worried about......but thanks for the offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I didn’t use them in 2016 but like you read the not so glowing references about them. Don’t think pacers in big city marathons can be trusted really outside Anto’s DCM crew.

OOnegative wrote: »
    I didn’t use them in 2016 but like you read the not so glowing references about them. Don’t think pacers in big city marathons can be trusted really outside Anto’s DCM crew.

Yeah. Myself and my training partner are both aiming for the same time, so we'll start out with the pace group I think, but if it's not working out we're both sensible enough(I think!) to pull the plug and run by ourselves.

Itziger wrote: »

Shoot. Not in sub 3 shape endurance wise. Ah well. Best of luck with it. Scene of my first marathon (And first crippling cramps). Don't think I've done an April marathon since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

You will need to be on the ball prior to the start - I tried to go with the sub 3 pacers last year but got nowhere near them due to traffic and starting way too far back. I finally caught the pacers after 3 miles but they were the 3.10 or 3.15 pacers - I just ran my own race after that. The crowds at the start are unreal so you will need to elbow your way right to the front of the pen to follow them.

Advertisement