Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam marathon April 8th 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Missed out on Berlin and a spring marathon was plan B.
    I was looking at Manchester but Rotterdam looks more interesting and will probably cost the same !
    Who has ran it and how is the course? Is it flat and PBable?

Oh and Hi Crusty :)

Very flat and very PB'able

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

RayCun wrote: »
    Have they released an updated map?

Also, for those who have run before, is it pen C that starts at the front, on the other side of the road from the elites? Would that change with the new start, or is it still two lanes at that point?

It will still be two lanes Ray, and in 2016 I started in Pen C which was the opposite side of the road to the elites that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I'm debating the merits of racing Raheny 5mile &/or Trim 10 mile the week after.....
    Definitely running Bohermeen Half in March but unsure if running just one of the other two would be a better idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

healy1835 wrote: »
    I'm debating the merits of racing Raheny 5mile &/or Trim 10 mile the week after.....
    Definitely running Bohermeen Half in March but unsure if running just one of the other two would be a better idea?

I'd race the 10 miler hard, as I think it would be much more beneficial to you at that stage. Not sure what you'd gain from a decent 5 miler and two races so close might be tempting the injury gods

TbL

Yeah if it was another race I prob wouldn't be thinking about it, just the fact it's Raheny.......might have a cut at the Ferrycarraig 5 Mile at the start of Jan to start the year off :) ran it last year and it's a good race....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm thinking of doing both, but that will probably be the last racing before the marathon, I'm not mad on any of the half marathon options

I'm thinking of doing both, but that will probably be the last racing before the marathon, I'm not mad on any of the half marathon options

I think I'd feel a bit undercooked if I had a two month break between Trim and Rotterdam. I know the half isn't the main thing but I'd like to go into April off the back of a good one....but yeah, options aren't too plentiful.

I think I'd feel a bit undercooked if I had a two month break between Trim and Rotterdam. I know the half isn't the main thing but I'd like to go into April off the back of a good one....but yeah, options aren't too plentiful.

I might see if there's anything in the East of Ireland Marathon series next month

... there's a half in Lusk on Feb 17th. decisions, decisions...

I might see if there's anything in the East of Ireland Marathon series next month

... there's a half in Lusk on Feb 17th. decisions, decisions...

You could always do Bohermeen or Mullingar and just treat it as a tempo?

EC1000 wrote: »
    You could always do Bohermeen or Mullingar and just treat it as a tempo?

hmmm

I question the value of running a half at marathon pace. The reason I'd be doing a half in the first place is to use it as an indicator of where I am for the marathon, and if I'm not racing it isn't a good indicator. A half at PMP is too easy.

• Advertisement

hmmm

I question the value of running a half at marathon pace. The reason I'd be doing a half in the first place is to use it as an indicator of where I am for the marathon, and if I'm not racing it isn't a good indicator. A half at PMP is too easy.

Would you not tempo at faster than PMP?

hmmm

Would you not tempo at faster than PMP?

Yeah, at half marathon pace :)

Yeah, at half marathon pace :)

Exactly! If your going to tempo for 60 mins plus that weekend why not race a half. Anyway, way off topic so apologies!

Exactly! If your going to tempo for 60 mins plus that weekend why not race a half. Anyway, way off topic so apologies!

I sincerely hope I don't have a 60 minute plus tempo on the plan that weekend! :pac:

But I see what you mean, instead of taking the planned session of, say, 5 x 2 miles at PMP, and doing that in a race environment, scrap whatever the plan says for that weekend and race a half marathon.

Racing a half marathon would be harder than any session on the plan. It isn't just scrapping a session, I'd be writing off the following week too. (I ran Waterford on Saturday, I'm still sore) And I could do that, I have some spare weeks, but I don't want to do it too close to the marathon.

At the moment, the options look like
    Lusk (East of Ireland series) Feb 17th
    Carlingford/Kinvara March 3rd
    Bohermeen March 11th
    Mullingar March 17th

and Rotterdam is April 8th

I'm leaning back towards Carlingford. Adding an off-plan week there, getting back on the countdown with 4 weeks to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I sincerely hope I don't have a 60 minute plus tempo on the plan that weekend! :pac:

But I see what you mean, instead of taking the planned session of, say, 5 x 2 miles at PMP, and doing that in a race environment, scrap whatever the plan says for that weekend and race a half marathon.

Racing a half marathon would be harder than any session on the plan. It isn't just scrapping a session, I'd be writing off the following week too. (I ran Waterford on Saturday, I'm still sore) And I could do that, I have some spare weeks, but I don't want to do it too close to the marathon.

Carlingford March 3rd
    Bohermeen March 11th
    Mullingar March 24th

I'm leaning back towards Carlingford. Adding an off-plan week there, getting back on the countdown with 4 weeks to go.

I think Kinvara is also March 3. The natives are friendly!

snailsong wrote: »
    I think Kinvara is also March 3. The natives are friendly!

added it above, but it's an hour further away

Bohermeen March 11th
    Mullingar March 24th

Mullingar is the 17th March (Patrick's Day) not the 24th so just a week after Bohermeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Bohermeen March 11th
    Mullingar March 17th

2 years ago I ran Mullingar in the build up to Rotterdam. It was on Thursday 3 weeks plus before. I raced it flat out and felt it was a little too close. Bohermeen had been on the previous Sunday and I feel even those 5 days would have made a difference. Mullingar is on the Saturday this year I think, so closer again. Bohermeen is a very good race with a deep field and good course and with 4 weeks gap to Rotterdam probably the best of all the options you have listed. Kinvara is hilly and at the mercy of the weather, a windy day out there turns a tune up race into a struggle to hit mp. Lusk is a bit too far out from Rotterdam. I dont know anything about Carlingford.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Rotterdam marathon organizers are reporting that the race is 85% full. So by the sounds of things, it may be full by Mid-January at the very latest. So, if you've been putting it on the long finger - it's decision time!

Accommodation sorted, flights booked, race entered, mail to organisers sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

What do you have to mail the organisers about?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

zico10 wrote: »

To get into sub 3 pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

zico10 wrote: »

Elite auld lad entry ;)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Elite auld lad entry ;)

TbL

Nothing you'll ever have to worry about so!!!

Pen C achieved!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Pen C achieved!
    How do you know Ray? I haven't heard back from them.

Pen C achieved!
    How do you know Ray? I haven't heard back from them.

Email just a few minutes ago

Can't do Bohermeen Half.....so there's an entry going if anyone wants it.....emailed them and it can be transferred. You can buy me a pint in Rotterdam as payment :)

Can't do Bohermeen Half.....so there's an entry going if anyone wants it.....emailed them and it can be transferred. You can buy me a pint in Rotterdam as payment :)

Entry taken......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Going to do bohermeen as race prep. One more xc race to do for club next sunday. Will excuse myself from national masters. Flights and accomodation all sorted.

Advertisement