Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam marathon April 8th 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

I dont understand the pacer thing. Why would you add another variable? Is there not enough stress on your system running sub3 if that's close to the limit of your capability on the day. Surely you'd be vulnerable to wasting energy and effort trying to catch or follow pacers and then hostage to their ability...take control yourself, you have a watch, there's clocks every 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    I dont understand the pacer thing. Why would you add another variable? Is there not enough stress on your system running sub3 if that's close to the limit of your capability on the day. Surely you'd be vulnerable to wasting energy and effort trying to catch or follow pacers and then hostage to their ability...take control yourself, you have a watch, there's clocks every 5k.

Yeah I see where you're coming from, but I've ran in pace groups before and they've been a great help. Shelter from wind, group dynamic, and if well paced, there definitely is a case that you feel you're not working as hard as you might if you were on your own. If there wasn't a question about the reliability of the Pacers I'd definitely run with them. But I'm just as ready to run without the group. If it happens it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

healy1835 wrote: »
    Yeah I see where you're coming from, but I've ran in pace groups before and they've been a great help. Shelter from wind, group dynamic, and if well paced, there definitely is a case that you feel you're not working as hard as you might if you were on your own. If there wasn't a question about the reliability of the Pacers I'd definitely run with them. But I'm just as ready to run without the group. If it happens it happens.

hey, i meant to talk in the general rather than the specific, but I get you - and the drafting is a potential big win - especially as the wind in Rotterdam can be a little problematic.

actually, now that I think about it, I ran with a pace group when I went sub 3 first time; I'm such a hypocrite - don't give any credence to anything I say :D

see you in Irish pub over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lettuceman

I've had to pull out of the Rotterdam Marathon this year, due to a family gathering. Am past the cancellation deadline, so can only transfer my entry. Would anybody be interested in buying my place off me or know anyone that would? happy with 50Euros for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

As this is my first city marathon, I would not be too familiar with the starting pins. My question is how long after the first wave would the rest be let go? I can envisage being held up for some time and the possibility of loosing a couple of minutes, is it easy to shuffle up to the start of this group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I was there a half hour before kick off last year and it filled up pretty fast.
    There was the usual shufflers who stood right at the front to get round when the (f*cking massive) gun went off but traffic was pretty good after that.
    I'm not sure how it will look this year as the start has changed. Last year the pacers lined up on the left hand side of the road and I was on the right. There was an O'Connell st type division down the middle that had barriers running down it. Everyone merged after the bridge if I remember correctly so there was plenty of space to find your rhythm

Great that sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Shane12 wrote: »
    As this is my first city marathon, I would not be too familiar with the starting pins. My question is how long after the first wave would the rest be let go? I can envisage being held up for some time and the possibility of loosing a couple of minutes, is it easy to shuffle up to the start of this group?

You will have a timing chip that is read when you cross the start line and when you cross the finish line. That will give you your time to run the course.

You should position yourself around people who are aiming for the same time as you. That's better than getting as far forward as you can. Too far forward and faster runners will have to go around you, and you will go too fast matching your pace to theirs.

Its not my intention to hold up faster runners, as I won't be doing a sub 3 I assume most of the people in my area will be aiming for similar to myself. Or is everybody starting at the same time?

Shane12 wrote: »
    Its not my intention to hold up faster runners, as I won't be doing a sub 3 I assume most of the people in my area will be aiming for similar to myself. Or is everybody starting at the same time?

I think there's a few minutes between the main waves. But that delay doesn't matter, your chip will record your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Did this two years ago. We were in the sub 3.30 pen it was busy but not hectic. We crossed the start line 2.30 after the gun!!
    For the Liverpool fans there was a fair rendition of YNWA before the off - all in all a great event and very enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Not exactly a new course, just new start area. Hopefully this change will help with race day congestion. Otherwise, why change? It just means an immediate small climb over the bridge and an extended u-turn section on Slinge.

3 weeks of real training left. Looking forward to it now!

It starts a bit further forward, so where have they added a bit?
    (Not that it really matters, I presume they haven't found a massive hill to throw in :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

RayCun wrote: »
    (Not that it really matters, I presume they haven't found a massive hill to throw in :) )

I think this year they're making it 25.7 miles. That way anyone who needs to find say 2 seconds from previous year will have a better chance.

No idea what Krusty makes of the rumours though.

Also seemingly they're introducing a trottoir roulant rapide in the park section due to popular demand. When you arrive at the 34km mark you'll see the moving walkway. Simply key in your MPM and (literally) away you go. Unfortunately it only lasts 2.5k so you'll still have to train a bit. They've cancelled wind for the Sunday and the temp has been programmed to read 13.5 celcius all day.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

The u-turn along Slinge has been extended Ray to add the extra bit by looks of it, not a sight of hill still.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

OOnegative wrote: »
    The u-turn along Slinge has been extended Ray to add the extra bit by looks of it, not a sight of hill still.

That's a very boring reply, 00, (or is it, OO?)

Itziger wrote: »
    That's a very boring reply, 00, (or is it, OO?)

Call me Susan if ya like....... OO it is.

Itziger wrote: »
    I think this year they're making it 25.7 miles. That way anyone who needs to find say 2 seconds from previous year will have a better chance. Also seemingly they're introducing a trottoir roulant rapide in the park section due to popular demand.
    If it's 800m short, I think I should be able to improve by more than 2 seconds, but I fully subscribe to the moving walkway concept (or whatever those fancy foreign words mean).

• Advertisement

445647.GIF

Pace detail is up
    The Facebook translation is a thing of beauty

445647.GIF

Pace detail is up
    The Facebook translation is a thing of beauty
    It's all about the personal curfew. Nothing else matters.

Just for anyone who forgets shorts, socks, bottles, bodyglide, or just needs to pick up a cheap foam roller, there's a Decathlon store very close to the finish line, which is open 7 days a week (though it opens too late on Sunday to be useful). I doubt they'd stock your particular brand of gel, but great for emergencies and a sizeably larger selection than the nearby expo (also much cheaper!).

Also, if like me, having a post- marathon beer in the bag is essential, look no further than 'World of Beers'/'World of coffee' in the
    huge Grotemarkt. Fantastic selection of beers.

This message brought to you by 'sleepless in Shankill'.

Just on the gels bit - I got a response from High5 and they don't stock in the Netherlands yet. No big deal.
    I went a step further and sent a query to Dublin Airport and they confirmed there should be no issue so long as I'm under the limit and they are in the clear bag. I never had an issue in the past so glad to hear this.
    Sounds like I definitely met the one guy at security who wanted to make a point last year. Rhymes with farce goal

So with all this snow and hail in March, race day is going to be hot, isn't it?

So with all this snow and hail in March, race day is going to be hot, isn't it?

Snow is pegging it down as I type this, nice and cold Ray .....

Email with confirmation of entry for number collection arrived...

Email with confirmation of entry for number collection arrived...

And gels and bodyglide bought. Can we do this next weekend? That works for everyone, right?

And gels and bodyglide bought. Can we do this next weekend? That works for everyone, right?

I'd give it a rattle alright..... :)

I've been carb-loading since Christmas. I'm in.

• Advertisement

I fished my confirmation out of spam this morning.
    Snow and a bad cold has put any thoughts of sub 3 to bed with too many long runs missed.
    Still, looking forward to it optimistically. I went into last year in the shape of my life and blew up so who knows.
    A better finish than last year would keep me happy

Advertisement