Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Illogical* on my part, but I'm just put off trying the Brewmaster beers. I really don't like the branding, but I think it's that they came at it from the engineering angle rather than a brewing/ love of beer one. It just feels a bit opportunistic for me, launching to contract brew as much as their own beers.

*illogical because I'm sure the actual brewers are, well, brewers not engineers!
    Not really illogical. On some beer review sites/apps, reviewers sometimes wax lyrical about whether the label is attractive, would it catch your eye, would you pick it up off the shelf etc

It’s a saturated market here so branding is definitely important.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have Crann na Beatha and Shanco Dubh (Brehon), 200 Fathoms (Galway Bay), Around the Clock (Porterhouse), Dolmen (Western Herd), Leann Folláin (O'Hara's), Pointy Shoes and Mad Mex (Wicklow Wolf), Morrígan (Larkin's), World's End (Black's of Kinsale) and 8 Ball (8 Degrees) in a box of "big" drinks here. :pac:

Oh, and a 2016 KBS.

I'm finally running out. :pac:

I'm finally running out. :pac:

I hop they weren't in the one sitting, or even two :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I hop they weren't in the one sitting, or even two :D

Max of 2 imperials per sitting, but I've had a few slow mornings as a result. :O I've a DKML and a Better Half set aside for this evening.

Planning to go booze free in February to sort myself out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Max of 2 imperials per sitting, but I've had a few slow mornings as a result. :O I've a DKML and a Better Half set aside for this evening.

I always think February is a better month to go dry than January as January is such an awful month. There’s all that Christmas booze to finish off.........and February is shorter!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'll tag you in.

This week was the most hectic in such a long time that I would have broken the dry for that Friday pint of plain feeling with no regrets.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I think they both hired the same ex-Diageo consultant when starting out, and I have a suspicion that he's advising microbreweries to try and present themselves like large established industrials, maybe because those are trusted brands and sell by the million (or maybe because it's the only thing he knows). It's a bad misreading of the Irish speciality beer market, IMO. And they can have that opinion for free.

It was actually their consistent branding on the shelf that caught my eye. I have to say I like it, but then again, I've a very big appreciation of that oval beer label aesthetic.

I'll give them a bash in a couple of weeks.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I always think February is a better month to go dry than January as January is such an awful month. There’s all that Christmas booze to finish off.........and February is shorter!! :D

Big time. Going back to work and all in January is just awful and you need something to look forward to at the weekend. You're back in the swing of it by Feb so way better time for a dry one.

Big time. Going back to work and all in January is just awful and you need something to look forward to at the weekend. You're back in the swing of it by Feb so way better time for a dry one.

I won't be making that mistake next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

My rule aswell, always remember in the before times. Sunny sunday afternoon by the canal. Two of the Lads went off to get more Guinness and arrived back with 'they'd no guinness but shur this will do'

3 x 200 Fathoms each. Soon as they took a sip they knew they were fecked. I went home with mine they ended up on the beer till monday eve lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I've had quite a number of Trappist beers in the last couple of weeks (thanks to Mrs Pen Rua getting me a couple of the box sets for Christmas!) and I just love each and every one. Partly because I am able to support Trappist monks, partly because they are fantastic beers and partly because they remind me of my time in Belgium on Erasmus a couple of years ago!

I came across this YouTube series where two American lads go off to Belgium, get bikes and cycle between the 6 Trappist breweries in Belgium. Wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H52mWdQgkg&list=PLUZckUA2Sk-qL_K14CcUTHLuLvNdkPv4p&index=1

That is bucket list stuff right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Just watched that series of docs the other day. It's very well produced! The Rochefort one was deadly. Id love to have that experience!

Give me at least a moped and you’re talking.

My rule aswell, always remember in the before times. Sunny sunday afternoon by the canal. Two of the Lads went off to get more Guinness and arrived back with 'they'd no guinness but shur this will do'

3 x 200 Fathoms each. Soon as they took a sip they knew they were fecked. I went home with mine they ended up on the beer till monday eve lol.

Who the hell still had 200 fathoms on the shelf that late into the year!?!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know there were quite a few negative reviews of the White Hag Christmas box, but this could be a welcome distractions next week at least

https://www.thewhitehag.com/product/hoppy-january-craft-beer-bingo/

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Don't forget to use the discount code that came with the christmas boxes (if you purchased), also stacks with the Clann discount if you have subscribed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Had a beamish yesterday, was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

L1011 wrote: »
    I know there were quite a few negative reviews of the White Hag Christmas box, but this could be a welcome distractions next week at least

No thanks I’ll take Heineken over white hag now any day
    **** their can sizes and their novelty gimmick beers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I had the new Wicklow Wolf release over the weekend. Must pick up the White Hag Smash, as really impressed with this WW and Bru/ Craft Central Nelson Hopped beers.

• Advertisement

A cynic could argue that they are offloading the poorly received beers that they can't shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

From what I saw on Facebook/ Instagram, they were pretty clear it was clearing the unsold "Hoppy Christmas" boxes. I'm definitely not a White Hag fanboy, but I haven't had too many bad experiences, albeit the feedback on here put me off getting the stouts!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's an option to go for a "Bright" box which is what I went for; but its still starred warning it may have stouts in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

There's an option to go for a "Bright" box which is what I went for; but its still starred warning it may have stouts in it!

Is it 30 beers do you know? If so then decent value but still not sure I can bring myself to order, from experience most of them I will find mediocre to poor.

Haven't seen any specific details on how many.

Assuming all cans, its listed as 12KG which would give maybe 11L of product after packaging weight is taken in to account so that would be about 30 if its a mix of 330 and 440.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Who the hell still had 200 fathoms on the shelf that late into the year!?!

Fresh camden street. Think it was in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Yeah I went for the bright box as well, as I was afraid the dark box would be full of the pastry stouts.

I think their IPAs, Lagers have been brilliant for the last year. The stouts just seem to be too gimmicky, although I do enjoy the mint chocolate chip stout and their cauldron of plenty with the added coffee was great. And obviously Black Boar is a beast of a stout.

I'll always have a serious fondness for White Hag though. A group of us were down in Sligo for a wedding a few years ago and the day before booked in for the tour of the brewery. Joe led it and was really interesting, we had a couple of scientists/teachers who loved the science behind it. We had sampled a few bits as we went around but when the tour finished, he asked if we wanted to taste it straight from the tank? We all said yes, obviously and he then began filling cups straight from a hose connected to the tanks. So fast forward three hours later, we are all still stood between a tank of little fawn and puca, drinking to our hearts content, well on the way. Joe and the lads asked if anyone wanted to do a keg stand, I put my hand up not knowing what it was. A keg stand it turns out, was to get into a handstand position with people holding your legs to steady you and then you begin to chug straight from the keg (in this case fresh from the hose linked to the tank) until you can't take anymore. It was an unbelievable day, I still haven't repaid them with all the beer I have bought from them down the years.

I'd buy a box of the Smashes or some of the core range, even though they're in 330ml, but definitely enough other breweries out there that I wouldn't be looking out for much new from them any more.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Siren Cacao and Cherry Broken Dream. Not quite an imperial stout at 7.4%, but stronger than average so you wouldn't drink too many of them. Decent enough, not the best Broken Dream I've had but enjoyable all the same. Plenty of cherry sourness, but didn't really get any of the cacao or coffee flavours it was supposed to have.

Garage Coco Tears imperial stout. The can says it's brewed with coconut milk and toasted coconut chips, but if it was I suspect not much of either was used because there was zero coconut flavour, which is a shame because I love coconut. That said, it turned out to be a wonderfully rich, deep flavoured stout that hid its 11% almost completely. Very impressed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

200 fathoms in the fridge in Molloys on Francis St.

Advertisement