Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There won't be any more experimental from that brewer, excepting what could be in fermentation tanks currently; so give it a few months max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

To Ol - Whirlpool Domination - Had this a few times this year and it never dissappoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

L1011 wrote: »
    There won't be any more experimental from that brewer, excepting what could be in fermentation tanks currently; so give it a few months max.

Do you think he'll get the bullet over the tweets?
    Wouldn't like to see him lose his job, if they keep him away from the food flavourings in Dunnes it'll be a win win.

Just found a can of a Heaney imperial stout that I think might have to be opened.

Not for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Poorside wrote: »
    Do you think he'll get the bullet over the tweets?
    Wouldn't like to see him lose his job, if they keep him away from the food flavourings in Dunnes it'll be a win win.

He has already resigned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Beanstalk wrote: »
    To Ol - Whirlpool Domination - Had this a few times this year and it never dissappoints.

To Øl rarely disappoint across their range.

L1011 wrote: »
    He has already resigned.

Oh, good move by him really, he'll still make a decent bit by being a shareholder and this limits the damage that could have been caused.
    I really like the Hibiscus sour but would have avoided it if he was still involved in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Ferm001

I must admit, I do like the odd can of Brewdogs Elvis Juice...was in Aldi the other day and saw that they had the bright red cans in-stock, went over and saw that it was actually something called Memphis Boulevard...had not spotted it before, but as it was a rip off of the original I thought I'd try it....nope.. won't be getting it again :)

Just had my first Elvis Juice, not bad at all ðŸ‘. Only starting to getting into craft beers and enjoying so far. 2nd tonight is a West Coast IPA, good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Passenger wrote: »
    This had a very distinctive Cola taste to it. Delicious imo.

You should try their eggnog ale. Lots of cinnamon and vanilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Expect dry funky spicy yeasty, I'd say for the brett.
    Other one could be sour and funky
    (I've not had those beers yet)

Just had the brett tonight and your description is fairly accurate. Maybe just my strange taste buds but I thought it had some properties of red wine. Will have a go at the saison tomorrow night, I've heard good things about it.
    Beanstalk wrote: »
    Would love to try this. Live half an hour from Muff and can't find anywhere!

I'd been looking for them for a while and eventually came across them in a local brew pub in south Dublin I occasionally get growlers from(Brickyard)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

a local brew pub in south Dublin I occasionally get growlers from(Brickyard)
    Great pub, but not a brew pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

BeerNut wrote: »
    Great pub, but not a brew pub.

Sorry yes you're right not a brew pub in the true sense but they have the whole Two Sides thing going on with 57 the Headline. I guess they are doing contract brewing with someone

I guess they are doing contract brewing with someone
    Third Barrel.

Ferm001 wrote: »
    Just had my first Elvis Juice, not bad at all ðŸ‘. Only starting to getting into craft beers and enjoying so far. 2nd tonight is a West Coast IPA, good so far.

I see you like Elvis Juice, may I interest you in some sours?
    EJ is like a gateway drug to trying all sorts of beer, welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Maybe just my strange taste buds but I thought it had some properties of red wine.

Nothing strange about that.
    Wild /mixed /brett beers are often described as being "winey". Often reminiscent of cider, too.

Ode Lambic should be your next stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ba5afe554a139e9ec7216d6241fef26b_640x640.jpg

That was lovely last night

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger on the mixtape #3 dark beer as Melody Noir has been on the wish list for a bit, and I've liked any smoked beer, and scharwzbeir, I've had.
    Had one of each of the Whiplash box last night. Three absolute belters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Had one of each of the Whiplash box last night. Three absolute belters!

Really liked the baltic porter and the coffee porter from whiplash, and looking forward to giving the smoked stout and schwarzbier a shot too. They make cracking dark beers despite making their name as hazy IPA guys.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This week I tried two barrel aged beers from Dick Mack's brewhouse in Dingle, care of the growler system in Mother Mac's. One was a honey and hemp ale. Beautiful golden colour, no head. The other was a peated red ale. Both 7.5% and delightful to sip over several hours.

Couple of West Kerry stouts calling my name this evening. Maybe sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

This week I tried two barrel aged beers from Dick Mack's brewhouse in Dingle, care of the growler system in Mother Mac's. One was a honey and hemp ale. Beautiful golden colour, no head. The other was a peated red ale. Both 7.5% and delightful to sip over several hours.
    Had the same ones last night - also courtesy of MM. Really nice beers from a great pub. Looking forward to a trip down there when all this ****e is behind us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Couple of West Kerry stouts calling my name this evening. Maybe sooner rather than later.
    Carraig Dhubh? A lovely porter

Carraig Dhubh? A lovely porter

It’s amazing stuff. Different to so many out there.

It’s amazing stuff. Different to so many out there.

It's what I imagine stout tasted like a hundred years ago.
    I've no idea what stout tasted like then but it just feels really proper old school.

Haven't had that stout in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I've had quite a number of Trappist beers in the last couple of weeks (thanks to Mrs Pen Rua getting me a couple of the box sets for Christmas!) and I just love each and every one. Partly because I am able to support Trappist monks, partly because they are fantastic beers and partly because they remind me of my time in Belgium on Erasmus a couple of years ago!

I came across this YouTube series where two American lads go off to Belgium, get bikes and cycle between the 6 Trappist breweries in Belgium. Wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H52mWdQgkg&list=PLUZckUA2Sk-qL_K14CcUTHLuLvNdkPv4p&index=1

That is bucket list stuff right there.

Speaking of Trappist breweries, Achel will no longer be an official Trappist brewery as there are no longer monks living in the Achel monastery.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/art-culture/150901/the-world-is-one-trappist-beer-poorer-as-abbey-loses-last-monk/

The beer will still be brewed (by brothers from Westmalle) but it can no longer carry the authentic Trappist logo as no community lives there any longer.

Speaking of Trappist breweries, Achel will no longer be an official Trappist brewery as there are no longer monks living in the Achel monastery.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/art-culture/150901/the-world-is-one-trappist-beer-poorer-as-abbey-loses-last-monk/

The beer will still be brewed (by brothers from Westmalle) but it can no longer carry the authentic Trappist logo as no community lives there any longer.

While I'm a fan of Trappist beers, generally, the certification thing is a load of nonsense, really.

Having the label tells you absolutely nothing about the beer. All it tells you is to do with the ownership, location and staffing of the brewery.

Still, even with one gone, there's still way more trappist breweries now than 20 years ago!

While I'm a fan of Trappist beers, generally, the certification thing is a load of nonsense, really.

Having the label tells you absolutely nothing about the beer. All it tells you is to do with the ownership, location and staffing of the brewery.

Still, even with one gone, there's still way more trappist breweries now than 20 years ago!

One would assume it's 90% marketing, and 10% actually trying to protect the tradition of actual monks brewing beer.

I think that having the brewery operating on a not-for-profit basis has a knock-on effect on quality. They're not going to shave a few days off the maturation time or switch to a lower grade of malt to save a couple of cents per bottle, and neither will they ever have investors who'll try and make them.

Has anyone ever sourced any of the more unusual Trappist beers in Ireland? Zundert, Tre Fontane Abbey, Tynt Meadow, Stift Engelszell, Mont des Cats, Cardeña. I won't lie, when I double check a list of Trappist breweries I had no clue about the two latter ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Has anyone ever sourced any of the more unusual Trappist beers in Ireland? Zundert, Tre Fontane Abbey, Tynt Meadow, Stift Engelszell, Mont des Cats, Cardeña. I won't lie, when I double check a list of Trappist breweries I had no clue about the two latter ones.

Zundert, Tre Fontane, Mont Des Cats were all brought in briefly a couple of years ago by a short lived supplier. Engelszell has been brought in by Grand Cru before, not sure if they have any currently. Tynt Meadow and Cardenas have yet to be imported, to my knowledge.

Advertisement