Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Today is the 15th anniversary of wrestlemania 21 which was actually a really good mania. We had trish stratus being great as a heel. We had kurt angle vs Shawn Michaels which is amazing. We had the cena win and the culmination of the amazing batista and triple h storyline.

That PPV is one of the most memorable Wrestlemanias for me. They had the first Money in the Bank Ladder match at that PPV, and it's also the same night John Cena and Batista became Main Eventers. That's probably the only time i've seen two wrestlers get made in the same night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

It seems odd that 21 is never really in the talking of greatest mania had one of the greatest matches ever in hbk and angle crowning of the 2 big new stars

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just started watching the Edge documentary and hearing him refer to Christian as Jay was strange and I wonder how hard it is to switch between names, especially guys you work with all the time like E&C

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just started watching the Edge documentary and hearing him refer to Christian as Jay was strange and I wonder how hard it is to switch between names, especially guys you work with all the time like E&C

Looking forward to his ring return tonight and its such a pity about the current situation and sadly doing it in front of an empty arena

All going well we could see great matches with the likes of Rollins,Styles,Owen's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

CastorTroy wrote: »

Well they were friends way before they went to the WWE so I'd say for them it's natural. Just going on their E&C podcast they had and the WWE guys they had on some would start off calling them edge and Christian but from what I remember it never lasted long and their guests would just use their real names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Interesting too that he mentions AEW or "another company" as he puts it, contacted him about wrestling after Summerslam last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    Interesting too that he mentions AEW or "another company" as he puts it, contacted him about wrestling after Summerslam last year.

Well I'd say AEW were like the wrestling industry in general before summerslam in that edge was a guy who had a serious neck injury and he was medically blacklisted by WWE so never believed he'd be back in the ring ever again.

Considering the secrecy, how would they plan his role in the Rumble? Like who he eliminates, who his spots will be with, how long he stays in, etc.

J. Marston wrote: »

In an alternate universe aew got punk and edge that would be some star power to add to what they have

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It was pretty much out there for months that Edge was going to make a come back especially after he did that spear on RAW.

So no surprise another company would try to have a chat with him and see where things stood.

• Advertisement

What’s the point of or what role does Brock Lesnar have within the WWE if he isn’t world champion?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Someone said 21 doesn't get the love it deserves sometimes.

19 and 21 are probably the two best WrestleManias for me, and both are better than 17.

Charlotte being so upfront last night made me think how are there not more wardrobe malfunctions? And I don't just mean the women. Like how often do you see trunks being grabbed to pull someone off a ladder or something yet no issues, except a bit of builders bum.
    For the women, I know they usually have layers, but sometimes think the material being used must be really strong, as it can sometime be grabbed.

See I think about the important issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Someone said 21 doesn't get the love it deserves sometimes.

19 and 21 are probably the two best WrestleManias for me, and both are better than 17.

19 is my fav. 30 was fairly good too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Random(-ish) wrestling thought.

After watching the Broken Skull Sessions interviews, a selection of Table For 3, and the choice picks of WWE 24 (especially the docs on Kurt Angle and Finn Balor) I want to give wrestling a go when these social restrictions are lifted. I'm probably too old and too green to make it big, but I am still young and fit enough to take the first few steps on the ladder. I've been a fan since I was a kid, practising moves with my brother, but I won't ever know if I'm utterly hopeless unless I try it properly sometime. :P

Random(-ish) wrestling thought.

After watching the Broken Skull Sessions interviews, a selection of Table For 3, and the choice picks of WWE 24 (especially the docs on Kurt Angle and Finn Balor) I want to give wrestling a go when these social restrictions are lifted. I'm probably too old and too green to make it big, but I am still young and fit enough to take the first few steps on the ladder. I've been a fan since I was a kid, practising moves with my brother, but I won't ever know if I'm utterly hopeless unless I try it properly sometime. :P

DDP made his wrestling debut at 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I don’t get the ‘best Mania ever’ love people give 19. It’s grand like, but Jericho/HBK probably isn’t in their top 10 matches (the weird acoustics of the stadium hurt it as it plays back really quiet), Booker/Triple H is one of the Mania all-time lowpoints, the main event is most notable for Angle trying to stay safe with a broken neck and Brock’s botch and Vince/Hogan is one of the best matches on the card. It’s a great looking card on paper like but a lot of the matches didn’t live up to expectation. Not a bad Mania by any means but it doesn’t hold up like 17. Was it just people’s seminal Mania like? By that I mean the first they watched live or where they understood what ‘WrestleMania’ was supposed to mean? I can think of 4-5 other Manias that easily beat it for rewatchability.

21 is on that list btw, excellent Mania. I think if it wasn’t for the two main events kinda falling flat everyone would consider it the GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

21 had the MITB ladder match debut and had the much loved Hollywood vignettes too. Definitely a good one. I think all Manias from 17-24 were outstanding and felt huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Feel like 25-29 all bleed into each other as indistinguishable to a point where as the preceding ones all had great identities of their own. 30 and 31 were top dollar having said that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Omackeral wrote: »
    Feel like 25-29 all bleed into each other as indistinguishable to a point where as the preceding ones all had great identities of their own. 30 and 31 were top dollar having said that.

I’d largely agree but, of those, I’d say 28 stands out. The outdoor venue in Miami really helps give it a distinguishable look and feel, then you’ve got that night into day vibe, plus the card is pretty memorable with the epic Taker/Triple H HIAC, Sheamus/Bryan and the first Rock/Cena.

Whenever it’s in a stadium and they’ve got the generic blue/grey ‘big’ design, it tends to blend into all other mediocre ‘big’ WrestleManias. And oddly the card seems to follow by being meh too, even adding 32 and 34 to that list. Whereas 33 has a distinct look and is remembered more fondly (Hardyz comeback, Taker’s ‘retirement’ etc). It’s like some years they go all out and others they just use the old WrestleMania formula and assume it’ll all be grand.

At least this weeks episode of dark side of the ring will be a little more cheery as it's not about a wrestler death/metal problems etc. Its about that mess that was the brawl for all

I've noticed lately they keep referring to Shayna as a cage fighter rather than MMA fighter. Think it's due to being quicker to say or because they're avoiding saying MMA? Or just sounds tougher?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭cena

Would anyone like to Kaitlyn return

Year to the day since an Irish person won the main event of Wrestlemania...

6e196akr0er41.jpg

The deadman undertaker character is apparently done and this incarnation of the American bad ass real life type of character is what mark Calloway will appear as for the foreseeable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The deadman undertaker character is apparently done and this incarnation of the American bad ass real life type of character is what mark Calloway will appear as for the foreseeable

Hope this means he'll go back to his promo style from 2000 - 2003 when he talked more and his promos felt more genuine. No more slow, monotonous promos in character.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »

Ya this trigger should have been pulled in the lead up to the Cena match at Mania a couple years back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This is random

• Advertisement

Hogan Hammer :)

Advertisement