Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Igotadose wrote: »
    Interesting piece in the Post about 2018-2019 NYJ injuries:
    ---
    They used a franchise-record 73 players. Only the Dolphins and Redskins used more this season.
    They had 20 players wind up on injured reserve.
    They used 11 starting offensive linemen. They had nine starting combinations on the line. They had three starters each at left guard and right guard.
    They used four quarterbacks and three starting quarterbacks. It was the first time since 2005 they had four quarterbacks take a snap.

our players viewed as key starters in the preseason ended up playing two games or less — ILB C.J. Mosley (2 games), TE Chris Herndon (1 game), WR Quincy Enunwa (1 game) and ILB Avery Williamson (0 games).

The Jets used six starting cornerbacks on the outside (not counting nickel corner Brian Poole). They used five starting inside linebackers.
    ---

Article said they're 'investigating.' This does seem crazy, though. Bad turf? I think the Giants had a lot of injuries as well. Or is it just bad luck?

https://nypost.com/2020/01/01/jets-investigating-their-unprecedented-injury-crisis/

I seem to remember the Ravens/chargers having similar issues over the last few years, there was quite a few articles linking it to the strength and conditioning programs they were using. Although there does seem to be a certain amount of bad luck involved at the same time.
    I dont think you can blame it on the turf because if you look at the last 5/6 years the Jets havent been too bad with injuries, especially when compared to this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Now that the season is over and analysis of the season is underway I wonder if the unprecedented level of injuries will be blamed on a flaw in Gase’s conditioning program or just chalked up to bad luck.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    Now that the season is over and analysis of the season is underway I wonder if the unprecedented level of injuries will be blamed on a flaw in Gase’s conditioning program or just chalked up to bad luck.

Definitely the latter, but that doesnt really hold up because Williams done an excellent job given how many injuries his defense had

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

2019 Jets offense:

4,368 yds (fewest since '05. Prior to that, fewest since '95)

253 first downs (fewest since '05. Prior to that, fewest since '92)

6 rush TD (fewest since '07. Prior to that, fewest since '95)

4.6 yds/play (fewest since '05. Prior to that, fewest since '95)

A few sobering stats I found on Twitter about the Jets offence. This combined with the Jets finishing last or near last in every major offensive category has to make you wonder about Gase going forward.

2019 Jets offense:

4,368 yds (fewest since '05. Prior to that, fewest since '95)

253 first downs (fewest since '05. Prior to that, fewest since '92)

6 rush TD (fewest since '07. Prior to that, fewest since '95)

4.6 yds/play (fewest since '05. Prior to that, fewest since '95)

A few sobering stats I found on Twitter about the Jets offence. This combined with the Jets finishing last or near last in every major offensive category has to make you wonder about Gase going forward.

Seen that one myself, really doesn't make great reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

I'm definitely in the get rid of Gase camp. Didn't want him when he signed, came around to him in the offseason with all the positives people were saying about him and I think that lasted until the first game this season.

L.S.F wrote: »
    I'm definitely in the get rid of Gase camp. Didn't want him when he signed, came around to him in the offseason with all the positives people were saying about him and I think that lasted until the first game this season.

Agree 100%. I feel I had the exact same experience and as soon as the season started all confidence in Gase rapidly disappeared. I probably followed the Jets more closely this season than any other because I started listening to podcasts driving too and from work every day. I added nearly every Jets writer and source possible to my Twitter feed and it is amazing how divisive Gase is. People who support him will ignore all the stats, his previous record and his unwillingness to adjust mid game. It is always someone else's fault and he seems to enjoy surrounding himself with yes men. That said there is some hope if Joe Douglas is as good a GM as people think he could be and not just a yes man for Gase. If he can draft well and fill some holes in free agency the talent level will improve and hopefully results will follow.

Posts online saying the Jets highly unlikely to bring back Robby Anderson. They are unwilling to pay him above 10 million a year. Lots of pros and cons to this but personally would rather see him coming back. Never good to see your best young players leaving and another hole on the roster needs to be filled.
    On a seperate note delighted to see the Jets signing safety Anthony Cioffi. Saw him at a high school game a few years ago in Springfield NJ. Also I have eaten excellent Italian food from his family's deli in Springfield! Tenuous links I know but would live to see him make the roster. He had an excellent year in the CFL and he offers excellent special teams play.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Would also like to see Robbie back, can haul in some big plays. Still not at a WR1 level but great option to have for Darnold and a very fast player who causes problems

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I think Robby is worth more to someone else than he is to us, he's a luxury receiver imo, we need guys that can be regular targets for Sam. Saying that, we're now wafer thin at WR without him, we'll need to bring in some bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Apparently the Q Williams arrest not as bad as first thought. Gun was unloaded and in checked baggage not carry on. It wouldn't be a Jets off season without an arrest.

Jets in discussions with Redskins about trade for Trent Williams LT. Would be a good signing if compensation isn't too dear.

Apparently the Q Williams arrest not as bad as first thought. Gun was unloaded and in checked baggage not carry on. It wouldn't be a Jets off season without an arrest.

Jets in discussions with Redskins about trade for Trent Williams LT. Would be a good signing if compensation isn't too dear.

I'd say the trade is too much to make it worth while, I don't mind overpaying a short contract while the cap is good, but giving up a 3rd or more would be a poor move imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Trumaine Johnson to be cut. No surprise. Good riddance - always on the other team's highlight film while a Jet.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28871214/source-jets-release-high-priced-cb-trumaine-johnson

Igotadose wrote: »
    Trumaine Johnson to be cut. No surprise. Good riddance - always on the other team's highlight film while a Jet.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28871214/source-jets-release-high-priced-cb-trumaine-johnson

Must be one of the worst free agents mistakes in a long time.

Looks like Robby Anderson is signing with the Panthers. I dont think anyone here would be surprised he didnt resign with the Jets, but I'll still be sad to see him go.
    Still think they need to go OT at #11, it seems to be a pretty deep class at WR

Yup, ideally I'd like OT at 11 and then 2 WRs in the next 3 picks.

Breshad Perriman looks like Robbys replacement. If he can perform like he did in the latter half of last season, they could be onto a winner. If he performs like he did in Baltimore he wont be of much use. Also big questions around if he can stay healthy for 16 games

phatkev wrote: »
    Breshad Perriman looks like Robbys replacement. If he can perform like he did in the latter half of last season, they could be onto a winner. If he performs like he did in Baltimore he wont be of much use. Also big questions around if he can stay healthy for 16 games

I think we have to hope he's competing for WR2 at most post-draft really.

I'm sure I read last year that Gase plays 3 WR and 1 TE the most out of any coach in the league, with our current roster and even after the draft it's fairly likely we'll need to see more 2TE/2RB sets if we want to be productive.

hots wrote: »
    I think we have to hope he's competing for WR2 at most post-draft really.

I'm sure I read last year that Gase plays 3 WR and 1 TE the most out of any coach in the league, with our current roster and even after the draft it's fairly likely we'll need to see more 2TE/2RB sets if we want to be productive.

That sounds right but the problem is Gase rarely if ever deviates from his system so we definitely need better WRs from the draft.
    The main issue is that so many holes remain to be filled and it can be argued that Centre is the only position that had been improved in free agency. Every other signing has been like for like or even weakened some positions. At least he took a few shots which could go either way such as Fant or Desir. If they work out Douglas will look good.

• Advertisement

That sounds right but the problem is Gase rarely if ever deviates from his system so we definitely need better WRs from the draft.
    The main issue is that so many holes remain to be filled and it can be argued that Centre is the only position that had been improved in free agency. Every other signing has been like for like or even weakened some positions. At least he took a few shots which could go either way such as Fant or Desir. If they work out Douglas will look good.

I would say WR has been weakened, CB has to be an upgrade over Trumaine, Tackle is definitely a wildcard for now but fingers crossed we get a big one in the draft. The middle 3 on the line of Van Roten, McGovern and Lewis should be a fairly big improvement over any of the combinations last year I think, the new guys are both consistently average and don't give up penalties and Lewis was probably the best of a bad bunch last year. Could see Beachum come back to compete if we don't get a round 1 guy too.

If we go OL,WR,WR,CB/Edge/OL/WR in the first 3 rounds I'd be delighted. 3 WRs or 2 OL sounds excessive but both needs big repair jobs and all our O Line signings are more or less 1 year deals...

O-line is definitely still the glaring need. In fairness to Joe Douglas, there wasnt much in the pool of oline FA. I dont think Fant should be a starter at left or right tackle. I think Van Roten will be an upgrade over Winters, Lewis is a below average starter in my opinion, but I'd be happy to proved wrong here. That leaves Right and Left Tackle, I think the best situation they can end up with now is Edoga at RT and a Rookie LT, but the draft would really need to go their way for this to happen

I know he has signed a lot of free agents but only one position has really been improved. Going by last years performances Van Roten, Desir, Fant & Lewis (all projected to start) were average at best and mostly below average. All have potential but none are proven. Combined with weakening the WR position Douglas better have a good draft or it will be another long season a d back to another rebuild again next year.

I know he has signed a lot of free agents but only one position has really been improved. Going by last years performances Van Roten, Desir, Fant & Lewis (all projected to start) were average at best and mostly below average. All have potential but none are proven. Combined with weakening the WR position Douglas better have a good draft or it will be another long season a d back to another rebuild again next year.

IMO Average and below average are upgrades for us unfortunately. Lewis is a scratch, if Fant starts I'm not expecting much tbh, but there's upside at least (I've not got a very good feeling about him though), Desir > Trumaine and Roten I'm expecting to be better than van Roten and Compton. Winters becomes depth I think at this stage as we don't need the cap space by the looks of things, and as a depth guy he's alright.

Worst case, we end up with a slight downgrade at LT, 3 average guards between two positions isn't too bad, a competent centre and an ok RT with upside. I would hope we add a tackle in the first (don't think there's going to be one at our second pick) which would be an strong LT and then fant and winters as our backup guys... not the worst.

https://theathletic.com/1694556/2020/03/30/for-long-island-native-greg-van-roten-joining-the-jets-is-a-dream-come-true/?source=dailyemail

really good article on van roten here on the athletic if you've got a sub (90 days for free at the moment I think). He's come the long way round to get where he is anyway:eek:

Lots of talk this weekend about trading Jamal Adams for picks, maybe a first and a third or fourth. Personally I think this is crazy. I cant understand wanting to trade the best player you have for an unknown draftee that may or may not pan out. There are so many holes on the roster and trading him away just creates another one. The positional value argument doesn't stand up as Adams does things way above the level of other safeties and can hugely affect a game from the safety position. As it stands the Jets could get a LT, 2 WRs, a CB and an IOL with their first 5 picks. This fills most of the holes except for Edge which is a weak class this draft. By trading Adams you would just add safety to the list of needs and probably would have to draft one high to get anywhere near the same level of player. In effect all you are gaining is maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick. Add to the talent already on the roster dont trade it away. Rant over but will be hugely unhappy if he is traded.

Lots of talk this weekend about trading Jamal Adams for picks, maybe a first and a third or fourth. Personally I think this is crazy. I cant understand wanting to trade the best player you have for an unknown draftee that may or may not pan out. There are so many holes on the roster and trading him away just creates another one. The positional value argument doesn't stand up as Adams does things way above the level of other safeties and can hugely affect a game from the safety position. As it stands the Jets could get a LT, 2 WRs, a CB and an IOL with their first 5 picks. This fills most of the holes except for Edge which is a weak class this draft. By trading Adams you would just add safety to the list of needs and probably would have to draft one high to get anywhere near the same level of player. In effect all you are gaining is maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick. Add to the talent already on the roster dont trade it away. Rant over but will be hugely unhappy if he is traded.

Agreed, he is also worth far more to us than comparitively to other teams, so it makes him even less suited for a trade. I'm hoping it's just paper talk with him shooting for the new contract, but I wouldn't consider less than two firsts which will never happen.

Prediction for tonight: Micky Becton for us after the Browns don't take a tackle. Also, Dolphins on paper will look suddenly incredible.

Ideal: Maybe a tradeback with one of the WR needy teams (assuming we don't get a shot at a tackle) and we accumulate enough to end up with 4 of the tier 2 guys at WR, WR, OT & CB.

Nightmare: Kinlaw.

Oh, also I have a slight yearning for us to draft Isiah Simmons... It makes no sense and isn't a need, but damn him and Jamal ****ing around causing havoc under MadGregg, it would be incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

Like the name Micky Becton:) like a lad you used to foot turf with. I would have concerns over a guy who can't stay clean just before the biggest interview of his life. That has red flags everywhere for me. Grand if you want to smoke a spliff or two but not when you know you are going to be tested and it could cost you millions. Not a good look. I'd go for a guy like Thomas if there at 11. Jets desperately need a number 1 wide receiver but protection of Sam trumps that. What's come in in the off season is a marginally improvement only. For me you take the best offensive line player at 11 and see if you can move up slightly to maybe top of 2 to get a WR, Jets have enough draft picks to do that.

Advertisement