Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

stinger31, we expect a reasonable standard of posting here in A & P. That's not it.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

stinger31 wrote: »
    Defo a great time to buy.......hahaha and while you're at it.....bid way over the asking too..... and if you're job is even in the slightest of risk.....buy buy buy

"Coronavirus plunges Europe’s leading economies into historic recessions"

I guess what you are saying is that of course property will fall.

The main thing keeping property up at the moment is the massive liquidity being pumped into the economy by central banks. This has never happened before on such a scale.

I would not buy myself at this time as I believe prices will fall 20% in the next year, even with this liquidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Pelezico wrote: »
    I guess what you are saying is that of course property will fall.

The main thing keeping property up at the moment is the massive liquidity being pumped into the economy by central banks. This has never happened before on such a scale.

I would not buy myself at this time as I believe prices will fall 20% in the next year, even with this liquidity.
    BAM! A new challenger enters the ring!

Whats the malarkey over the recent gov changes? A lot of vulture fund talk going on....

Taylor365 wrote: »
    BAM! A new challenger enters the ring!

Whats the malarkey over the recent gov changes? A lot of vulture fund talk going on....

Hey...I am just giving my twopence worth. Who knows what the future brings?

One thing is sure..property is not selling fast at present. Transactions on the database are down more than 60% on last year.

Also, if you analyse individual.streets for comparison of sales prices, I reckon we are back at 2017 levels already.

The autumn will tell a story when layoffs begin to accelerate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭stinger31

One thing is sure..property is not selling fast at present. Transactions on the database are down more than 60% on last year.

Also, if you analyse individual.streets for comparison of sales prices, I reckon we are back at 2017 levels already.

Don't you know not to question or provide evidence that contradicts what the property bulls believe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Transactions are down.... Everyone was locked in their house (+/-) a 2 mile radius for weeks and estate agents/banks/solicitors were closed - you hardly thought transactions would rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

JJJackal wrote: »
    Transactions are down.... Everyone was locked in their house (+/-) a 2 mile radius for weeks and estate agents/banks/solicitors were closed - you hardly thought transactions would rise?

They will in the very short term as sales close and those with mortgage approval worry it will be pulled try and buy.

After that the larger economic picture is going to have a negative effect on transactions, sale prices and rents.

The property rise/fall goes round and round:

In favour of prices staying the same or rising:

Decreased supply due to decreased building
    Saving up to 5 billion from 2 billion in same period last year - therefore more deposit money
    Government pumping billions into the economy
    First time buyers support increased by 10,000
    Expect enormous headline growth rates post pandemic (eg US GDP down 30% now. Expect headline growth rates post pandemic although. Note to get back to 100% after a 30% fall you need growth of >42%)

In favour of prices falling:
    Recession
    Job losses
    Banks worried about lending
    People moving out of Dublin (could lead to falls in Dublin and price rises elsewhere though - but on average a fall)
    Businesses closing and never re-opening

Happy to add others to fall and rise columns - over to ye?

The autumn will provide more granularity on numbers of transactions. The precursor to a collapse is a dearth of transactions.

With respect to the actual sales values, For a bog standard generic house in my general area, recent sales prices suggest to me that we are at 2017 prices.

The Belly wrote: »
    They will in the very short term as sales close and those with mortgage approval worry it will be pulled try and buy.

After that the larger economic picture is going to have a negative effect on transactions, sale prices and rents.

Year on year transactions wont rise. I would say this is a certainty.

Month on Month they will - eg April May had to be down. You would expect alot of completed details to get over the line after May

• Advertisement

The autumn will provide more granularity on numbers of transactions. The precursor to a collapse is a dearth of transactions.

With respect to the actual sales values, For a bog standard generic house in my general area, recent sales prices suggest to me that we are at 2017 prices.

The precursor to collapse is a dearth of transactions when there is not a pandemic.

A pandemic where you cannot go to view a house (and thus probably wont buy it) leading to a dearth of transactions is not the same - although a collapse could follow. However, I dont think a dearth of transactions during a pandemic is a harbinger of doom

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/home-truths-housing-ministers-copycat-policy-book-rejected-39414971.html

'Home truths': Housing Minister's copycat policy book rejected

A bit of light relief for the bank holiday weekend. (Not behind a paywall either).

The precursor to collapse is a dearth of transactions when there is not a pandemic.

A pandemic where you cannot go to view a house (and thus probably wont buy it) leading to a dearth of transactions is not the same - although a collapse could follow. However, I dont think a dearth of transactions during a pandemic is a harbinger of doom

I am agnostic about the reason for fall in transactions. To my mind, the market is the market.

A fall in transactions is a signal that all is not well in the market.

If there is no autumn bounce in transaction levels, I expect significant falls in prices for those who really want to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I am agnostic about the reason for fall in transactions. To my mind, the market is the market.

A fall in transactions is a signal that all is not well in the market.

If there is no autumn bounce in transaction levels, I expect significant falls in prices for those who really want to sell.

If transactions will be 30-40% below 2019 levels (which i expect is reasonable), what does it tell for the price? does it mean significant fall? it doesn't say to much to me, without knowing the supply side, as there may be 30-40% lower supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

With the change in how people work and the downturn in tourism, a few things could come from it.

Commercial zoning rezoned to residential providing more availability in city center to those who are working in the city bringing down purchase and rental prices.

Current office developments redeveloped into apartments. This seems to be on the cards in London already.

Developers switching from commercial city center focus to building residential and smaller commercial units outside the city as demand on the city center is reduced lowering building costs and lowering prices.

Overall its a longer term outlook but it would bring down prices and would probably go in some way to ending the boom and bust cycle.

• Site Banned Posts: 149 ✭✭Iceman29

Is this a sign of things to come?

Heading of an article in the indo today....

"The property 'Ronaldo', the investor, and a debt growing by €3,272 a day"

Iceman29 wrote: »
    Is this a sign of things to come?

Heading of an article in the indo today....

"The property 'Ronaldo', the investor, and a debt growing by €3,272 a day"

Probably...developers, especially poorly capitalised ones, will struggle in the new normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭wassie

The Belly wrote: »
    With the change in how people work and the downturn in tourism, a few things could come from it.

Commercial zoning rezoned to residential providing more availability in city center to those who are working in the city bringing down purchase and rental prices.

Current office developments redeveloped into apartments. This seems to be on the cards in London already.

Developers switching from commercial city center focus to building residential and smaller commercial units outside the city as demand on the city center is reduced lowering building costs and lowering prices.

Overall its a longer term outlook but it would bring down prices and would probably go in some way to ending the boom and bust cycle.

I'm aware of two reasonable sized office developments in Dublin that are no longer proceeding. Developer in each instance is looking to obtain new planning approval for residential schemes. Whilst this may be indicative of what you say, my 2 examples is not representative of anything.

Dublin commercial rents have been expensive for some while and I think Covid has definitely changed the landscape for mid-tier developers that don't have the capital resources like their larger counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Villa05

The Belly wrote:

Having excess office developments may be a major positive for this country with a potential hard Brexit on the horizon

Would hold off on any conversions in the short term

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

I don’t think the hoped for jobs dividend from a hard Brexit will materialise as those decisions have already been mostly made and they have mostly chosen locations in continental Europe already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Cyrus wrote: »
    Yeah I get that , but I didn’t think a tired semi d in rathfarnham would make that , even in Blackrock for example that looks overpriced and I’d assume Blackrock is more desirable . Maybe I’m wrong on that front .

Calling either of those houses "a tired semi d" is stretching it.
    They are Stringer built, nearly 100 years old and have huge South facing gardens.
    That particular area is probably the most expensive in rathfarnham, alongside castleside and Woodside drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

GreeBo wrote: »
    Calling either of those houses "a tired semi d" is stretching it.
    They are Stringer built, nearly 100 years old and have huge South facing gardens.
    That particular area is probably the most expensive in rathfarnham, alongside castleside and Woodside drive.

If I was buying it I’d gut the place so that’s why I’m saying tired .

I can see the benefits of the space etc I just didn’t think rathfarnham was as expensive as Blackrock for example, if that sells for close to that it is .

If I was buying it I’d gut the place so that’s why I’m saying tired .

I can see the benefits of the space etc I just didn’t think rathfarnham was as expensive as Blackrock for example, if that sells for close to that it is .
    I think the first one is pushing it, though it does have a very wide site and no neighbors on one side.
    I think the other it keenly priced at 995.

Tbf you'd probably be gutting any house built more than 20 years ago, you'd have much more left with either of these two after the gutting. They don't build them like that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think the first one is pushing it, though it does have a very wide site and no neighbors on one side.
    I think the other it keenly priced at 995.

Tbf you'd probably be gutting any house built more than 20 years ago, you'd have much more left with either of these two after the gutting. They don't build them like that anymore.

Yeah it was the 1.25m I was a bit surprised at ,

And take your point probably in better shape than something built in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭combat14

I don’t think the hoped for jobs dividend from a hard Brexit will materialise as those decisions have already been mostly made and they have mostly chosen locations in continental Europe already.

exactly word has already got out that property and rents are way over priced here with serious bad value for money

Yeah it was the 1.25m I was a bit surprised at ,

And take your point probably in better shape than something built in the 90s
    A detached 4 bed a few doors down sold for 1.3 a year ago, so 1.25 is certainly ambitious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Lookit!.....(as some of our sporting greats would say:)) We have a big demand for housing. We have a small stock. We have big build costs.
    We have a recession. We have vested interests, we have people with no interest. We have high rents. We have low mortgage rates.
    Lookit the houses aren't there for there to be much of a drop.
    And nearly nobody is in a rush to sell.
    I would fear that (now it hasn't inany way materialised yet) with a particular type of brexit we could get both a deeper recession AND increased demand from Brits/expats , remember there is a market of 70 million from over the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

The property rise/fall goes round and round:

Saving up to 5 billion from 2 billion in same period last year - therefore more deposit money
    Expect enormous headline growth rates post pandemic (eg US GDP down 30% now. Expect headline growth rates post pandemic although. Note to get back to 100% after a 30% fall you need growth of >42%)

Recession
    Job losses
    People moving out of Dublin (could lead to falls in Dublin and price rises elsewhere though - but on average a fall)

Happy to add others to fall and rise columns - over to ye?

I'd add

Emigration of non nationals to the list freeing up rentalsupply

Airbnb stock in Dublin returning to long term rental market.

Firesale properties by distressed businesses / landlords.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    I'd add

Emigration of non nationals to the list freeing up rentalsupply

Airbnb stock in Dublin returning to long term rental market.

Firesale properties by distressed businesses / landlords.

Updated: (I disagree with the firesale in the short term anyway - potentially a longer term issue, if things dont improve)

Low supply to start with
    Irish people only going on staycations so Airbnb properties come back on the market for Airbnb (decreased hotel capacity due to COVID restrictions)
    New jobs post Brexit

Recession
    Job losses
    Emigration of non nationals to the list freeing up rental supply
    Airbnb stock in Dublin returning to long term rental market
    Potential firesales in the future...
    Less new jobs than expected post Brexit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Updated: (I disagree with the firesale in the short term anyway - potentially a longer term issue, if things dont improve)

Low supply to start with
    Irish people only going on staycations so Airbnb properties come back on the market for Airbnb (decreased hotel capacity due to COVID restrictions)
    New jobs post Brexit

Recession
    Job losses
    Emigration of non nationals to the list freeing up rental supply
    Airbnb stock in Dublin returning to long term rental market

Potential firesales in the future...
    Less new jobs than expected post Brexit

I highlighted some of this, which likely will have reverse impact by next Summer/September.

For medium term (1-5 years) another important aspect, is natural population growth. And change in demographics (currently big number of teenagers)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement