Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

BoboDub wrote: »
    Ii guess my concern here, and it's common to yours, is that these are saturday deliveries. I am a bit concerned that if theres no one there to collect on saturday, what happens? For domestic post generally USPS dont hang around too long if undelivered, similar to most domestic post

Have you escalated yours as a query?

Just to follow up on this - I don't know if you've had any update lately - but anyway here's what happened with mine.

USPS was never marked as delivered. Last update I had was "Awaiting Delivery Scan" on 3 January.

The package finally showed up on my AddressPal account on 12 January (the USPS tracking never updated and still shows "Awaiting Delivery Scan" as we speak).

It was delivered to Kilkenny today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

still no response from thsat an post customs query :rolleyes:

still nothing from parcel motel or anything so i assume they are all gone for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Does anyone else find this online customs and/or VAT payment tool to be incredibly buggy and unresponsive?

It's borderline unusable for me most of the time.
    Throws back different errors each time, timeouts when trying to verify card etc.

Don't know how they've got it so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Does anyone else find this online customs and/or VAT payment tool to be incredibly buggy and unresponsive?

It's borderline unusable for me most of the time.
    Throws back different errors each time, timeouts when trying to verify card etc.

Don't know how they've got it so wrong.

Trying to pay now and getting "service unavailable". I see this was an issue since yesterday by doing a quick twitter search too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Have used addresspal for the first time since Brexit. Purchased an item that cost less than €45.

Received an email today saying my item had been received and €6.50 charged to my card. I fully expected the item to be delivered with the minimum of fuss.

Received an SMS tonight saying my item was being held until customs charges of €34.65 are paid. The breakdown of the charges shows the item as being valued at €149.16!

I'm getting a sinking feeling here, I dint know where they're getting their figures from but I have PayPal, ebay and credit card receipts that show the amount I paid.

Anyone encountered anything like this recently and how did it get resolved?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

If you read back through the thread, you'll see this has been an ongoing issue all month.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Quite a few going by the last few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paulie1983

Have used addresspal for the first time since Brexit. Purchased an item that cost less than €45.

Received an email today saying my item had been received and €6.50 charged to my card. I fully expected the item to be delivered with the minimum of fuss.

Received an SMS tonight saying my item was being held until customs charges of €34.65 are paid. The breakdown of the charges shows the item as being valued at €149.16!

I'm getting a sinking feeling here, I dint know where they're getting their figures from but I have PayPal, ebay and credit card receipts that show the amount I paid.

Anyone encountered anything like this recently and how did it get resolved?

Yeah but a week later no reply from them I'm guessing they are busy but seems to be allot of guessing the value of items.

paulie1983 wrote: »
    Yeah but a week later no reply from them I'm guessing they are busy but seems to be allot of guessing the value of items.

Looks to be the case. I've read back through the thread and emailed the ecommchargequery@anpost.ie address now too.

Will see what happens.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Buy nothing from the UK until all this is sorted out unless it sold by a company registered for Irish Vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Got caught for customs with AddressPal tonight as I didn't realise the €6 minimum collection fee was gone. They caught me for a declared value of €17.95 (which is spot on. Either a good guess of they looked up the price on Amazon) + €6.50 AP fee so it ended up costing me €8.54 (€5.04 VAT for Revenue & €3.50 for An Post).

The portal for paying online was flawless though. Took 30 seconds and only one attempt to pay. Maybe there are only issues with it during the day and it's better to try at night when it's less busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭cena

paulie1983 wrote: »

This whole Brexit is going to ruin Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

They're annoying inconsistent it seems.

I had one order worth £48 that shipped on the 17th, was checked in and charged promptly (19th) and arrived with no customs fees at all on the 25th (likely got lucky).

Another order though worth £29 that arrived with them on the 8th wasn't checked in until the 19th, moved slowly to the Dublin Hub and then only this morning got moved to the "Storage Warehouse". Haven't received the customs notice yet so hopefully that at least comes soon to get it over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

ordered online from a uk retailer on the 19th. item was delivered to addresspal on the 20th(complete with photo of drop off by the courier). am expecting fees of about €32 from addresspal but have heard nothing from them yet.

considering amazon have taken away a lot of their parcels from anpost, i would have thought they'd be a bit quicker at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Oat23 wrote: »
    Got caught for customs with AddressPal tonight as I didn't realise the €6 minimum collection fee was gone. They caught me for a declared value of €17.95 (which is spot on. Either a good guess of they looked up the price on Amazon) + €6.50 AP fee so it ended up costing me €8.54 (€5.04 VAT for Revenue & €3.50 for An Post).

The portal for paying online was flawless though. Took 30 seconds and only one attempt to pay. Maybe there are only issues with it during the day and it's better to try at night when it's less busy?

Revenue are the most efficient branch of government in this country, provided it is payment. It is the one thing that we can do perfectly and execute with precision, it is instant and is monitored closely. We get this so right, but nothing else.

or maybe the TV licence, which is essentially revenue.

this whole mess with addresspal is our doing, the UK have our VAT and dont give a toss. We are causing all of this (we, as in our chancellor to stick it back to the UK, what wonderful negotiators we had with Coveney, another "Blinder").

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Car99 wrote: »
    Buy nothing from the UK until all this is sorted out unless it sold by a company registered for Irish Vat.

So what are you expecting UK Business to do for the tiny ROI Market?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

In fairness, it will end up costing the UK. I can't see me buying anything else from there unless the company handles ROI VAT like Amazon do

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BoboDub

Just to follow up on this - I don't know if you've had any update lately - but anyway here's what happened with mine.

USPS was never marked as delivered. Last update I had was "Awaiting Delivery Scan" on 3 January.

The package finally showed up on my AddressPal account on 12 January (the USPS tracking never updated and still shows "Awaiting Delivery Scan" as we speak).

It was delivered to Kilkenny today.

Thabks - yes I got something similar notified to me yesterday - usps never updated, I never received a notification from AP that the parcel had been received in NY, but I got a message yesterday saying it had been received in ireland and was due for delivery in the next 3 days.

Bizarre stuff.

So the net effect is I got my uk package eventually, my 2 us packages seem to be en route.

It may all work out in the wash but there are huge improvements needed if AP is to be come a viable option. No one minds paying charges if the service is good (particularly query management) and the charges are accurate.

Its whether they can retain business long enough to implement the necessary changes to reach those targets for the public in general that is the big question.

Funnily enough I actually believe there would have been this big a mess (or at least maybe a slightly smaller but still big mess) even if there was no covid. Not much you can say that about these days!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Revenue are the most efficient branch of government in this country, provided it is payment. It is the one thing that we can do perfectly and execute with precision, it is instant and is monitored closely. We get this so right, but nothing else.

It is An Post you pay though, not Revenue. AP collect it for Revenue and a lot of people are having problems with the payment portal not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭surfin_shoes

Finally got an AP tracking number this morning, Royal Mail delivered it to the beacon a week ago, will see how long the journey takes now...

• Advertisement

TimHorton wrote: »
    So what are you expecting UK Business to do for the tiny ROI Market?

Tim I'm expecting nothing from the UK with regards to Ireland , what I'm saying is until the new systems are running smoothly and you can accurately know the end cost of an item you are purchasing you should buy nothing from the UK. It's not worth the delay or hassle at the moment to MAYBE save a few euro.

My US Addresspal arrived in AP NJ on 6 Jan was processed 14 days after arrival. I now have a tracking number. Just a bit of info to let anyone waiting know the current situation.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

My US Addresspal arrived in AP NJ on 6 Jan was processed 14 days after arrival. I now have a tracking number. Just a bit of info to let anyone waiting know the current situation.

Was it "Delivered to Agent" to agent by any chance? Thats what I see on my USPS parcel tracking that was delivered on the 19th Jan

I got lucky I think ,

My Parcel was delivered by Fedex on Jan 11

26 January 2021 07:44

We delivered your post ATHLONE D.S.U., CO WESTMEATH

26 January 2021 06:21

Your post is out for delivery ATHLONE D.S.U., CO WESTMEATH

24 January 2021 22:05

Your delivery has been sorted in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

24 January 2021 21:38

We have your post in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

18 January 2021 08:13

Your post has left An Post NEW JERSEY 07726, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

18 January 2021 08:13

Your delivery has left our handling partner in NEW JERSEY 07726, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

16 January 2021 14:05

We have your post in NEW JERSEY 07726, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

So I rang AddressPal today and spoke to one of the customer service representatives. I was told that they have nothing to do with the customs charges applied to deliveries after they process them.

When pushed a bit more about how they process items now I was told that if a package arrives without an invoice attached to the outside they have to "jump on the web and see roughly how much the item is worth".....this is the basis of their entire approach to valuing an item? FFS! How about emailing the recipient and asking for an invoice or proof off payment (like they have done in the past with US Addresspal shipments). :(

Also told to email ecommchargequery@anpost.ie.......

So I rang AddressPal today and spoke to one of the customer service representatives. I was told that they have nothing to do with the customs charges applied to deliveries after they process them.

When pushed a bit more about how they process items now I was told that if a package arrives without an invoice attached to the outside they have to "jump on the web and see roughly how much the item is worth".....this is the basis of their entire approach to valuing an item? FFS! How about emailing the recipient and asking for an invoice or proof off payment (like they have done in the past with US Addresspal shipments). :(

No complaints here , The valued my 400 dollar item that was discounted in error from 700 dollars at 100 dollars (Customs Charge was less than 30 euro) , The same tools here are 1200 euro + .....

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BoboDub

You'll see countless examples of this in the previous 300pages of this thread.

The process is broken from a customer service perspective. If you've got more than one thing coming at one time, you have no way of know when it lands what it is, as they dont gove the original tracking number, and therefore you have no way to challenge ge the potential value effectively or proactively.

It's almost the antithesis of how you would design an end to end process to manage this for a normal retail end customer base.

At this stage until they fundamentally change the interaction process and their customer engagement protocols, I'd only be using it for things I could afford to lose / abandon if anything goes wrong and it's too mich hassle or stress to sort.

BoboDub wrote: »
    You'll see countless examples of this in the previous 300pages of this thread.

The process is broken from a customer service perspective. If you've got more than one thing coming at one time, you have no way of know when it lands what it is, as they dont gove the original tracking number, and therefore you have no way to challenge ge the potential value effectively or proactively.

It's almost the antithesis of how you would design an end to end process to manage this for a normal retail end customer base.

At this stage until they fundamentally change the interaction process and their customer engagement protocols, I'd only be using it for things I could afford to lose / abandon if anything goes wrong and it's too mich hassle or stress to sort.

I had 4 items on the go and knew exactly what was what , I have no complaints whatsoever , I think you are overreacting , Brexit/Covid etc have a lot to do with it. I had over 250 Parcel Motel pickups and was sad to see it go , If Addresspal ceases what are your options ????

Spocker wrote: »
    Was it "Delivered to Agent" to agent by any chance? Thats what I see on my USPS parcel tracking that was delivered on the 19th Jan

Yes delivered to agent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Yes delivered to agent

I got the email with a tracking number after I posted earlier, so 8 days from delivery to Polar Express to receipt of the first email

Advertisement