Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

TimHorton wrote: »
    I had 4 items on the go and knew exactly what was what , I have no complaints whatsoever , I think you are overreacting , Brexit/Covid etc have a lot to do with it. I had over 250 Parcel Motel pickups and was sad to see it go , If Addresspal ceases what are your options ????

Piss poor practice to just assign an arbitrary value to something that arrives especially when they have access to customers' email addresses etc and can clear it up very quickly with some simple communication.

I've used parcel motel for years (over 700 packages sent and collected over the years), Addresspal, not so much, I've mainly used them for deliveries from the US but considering the issues I've now had with both companies I'll be giving buying stuff from the UK a break for a while. Your experiences are obviously more positive which is fair enough but I can only speak as I find and I'm in agreement with other posters that Addresspal's systems seem at best stretched at worst f**ked for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Piss poor practice to just assign an arbitrary value to something that arrives especially when they have access to customers' email addresses etc and can clear it up very quickly with some simple communication.

I've used parcel motel for years (over 700 packages sent and collected over the years), Addresspal, not so much, I've mainly used them for deliveries from the US but considering the issues I've now had with both companies I'll be giving buying stuff from the UK a break for a while. Your experiences are obviously more positive which is fair enough but I can only speak as I find and I'm in agreement with other posters that Addresspal's systems seem at best stretched at worst f**ked for now.

So there is no alternative, We should be thankful if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

So there is no alternative, We should be thankful if you ask me.

Thankful? Alright, if you say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

A question, if somebody would be so kind to answer – can the VAT valuation be challenged, with regards to AddressPal? If for example I paid €32 for something – which I did, and for some reason - these f***ers decided that the item which I paid €32 for including shipping – was not worth €32, but indeed - as if by magic, is now worth €130? Is there anyone I can appeal to?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

A question, if somebody would be so kind to answer – can the VAT valuation be challenged, with regards to AddressPal? If for example I paid €32 for something – which I did, and for some reason - these f***ers decided that the item which I paid €32 for including shipping – was not worth €32, but indeed - as if by magic, is now worth €130? Is there anyone I can appeal to?

There’s several posts a few pages back regarding issues such as this one...

• Advertisement

AmyMay wrote: »
    There’s several posts a few pages back regarding issues such as this one...
    Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Considering all the problems people are having with AddressPal & customs etc I'm amazed that people are still using the service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Considering all the problems people are having with AddressPal & customs etc I'm amazed that people are still using the service ?

agree,i have not used it since december and im not going to use it again,feck that and the custom and vat some getting charged on here,no thanks.
    brexit has fooked us :(

In my defense - I assumed they would value the item at the cost of the item, which is stated within the receipt. It's like they opened it up and said 'nah, OK - he clearly paid £28 including shipping, it says so right here on the receipt - look, twenty eight English pounds - but... nah - this is clearly worth €130. Stick €130 down on that there Tony, good man...'.

I trusted them to be fair with their valuation, alas - I should not have, nor will not again.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

Plenty of stuff on Ebay, that I can only get on Ebay.

On the plus side, Ebay Global Shipping is actually starting to look... not so bad now. At least they tell you the damage up front.

• Advertisement

Rewired wrote: »

On the plus side, Ebay Global Shipping is actually starting to look... not so bad now. At least they tell you the damage up front.
    I was quite a critic of the GSP, but you know what - you're right, it's beginning to look a lot better now!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Rewired wrote: »

Global Shipping is only a money making racket 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Ordered a pair of kids shoes on ebay.

They cost £9.80 including shipping price and not including the £6.50 address pal fee.

Got a text yesterday asking me to pay £4.83 and £3.50 An Post fee

I did this to see how much hassle it would be to use address pal. Wont be doing it any time soon.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

I did this to see how much hassle it would be to use address pal. Wont be doing it any time soon.

What else were you expecting? It sounds like the transit process was smooth enough, and we all know at this stage there is going to be a charge

Spocker wrote: »
    What else were you expecting? It sounds like the transit process was smooth enough, and we all know at this stage there is going to be a charge

Exactly , People need to realise that UK is outside of EU - Goods from there are treated the same as if they came from India/China ! , Red Tape and Additional Costs are to be expected, Removing Red Tape and costs was the exact reason why the EU was setup in the first place....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ordered a pair of kids shoes on ebay.

They cost £9.80 including shipping price and not including the £6.50 address pal fee.

Got a text yesterday asking me to pay £4.83 and £3.50 An Post fee

Shouldn’t have been any charges on that as its below the €22 threshold?

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Actually, kids shoes are VAT exempt in Ireland, so it should only have been the AddressPal fee I would have thought?

Below £22 hello?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Below £22 hello?

How does AP know that ?

Was there an invoice included ?

Was there a customs declaration on the parcel ?

Did the seller, as many seem to do, put a silly price on it, eg. £1.99 drawing attention to an obvious misdeclaration ?

Unfortunately until the duty is paid and the parcel delivered we won't know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Actually, kids shoes are VAT exempt in Ireland, so it should only have been the AddressPal fee I would have thought?

Yep- a government fell over VAT on kids shoes (John Bruton's government).
    Gawd, I'm showing my age......

Definitely dispute it (unless they were adult shoes, in which case you're screwed).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Why should the addresspal fee be part of the total charge used for tax purposes? An Post is an Irish company.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    How does AP know that ?

Was there an invoice included ?

Was there a customs declaration on the parcel ?

Did the seller, as many seem to do, put a silly price on it, eg. £1.99 drawing attention to an obvious misdeclaration ?

Unfortunately until the duty is paid and the parcel delivered we won't know.

I'll let you know immediately. Try and remain on the edge of your seat if possible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

polesheep wrote: »
    Why should the addresspal fee be part of the total charge used for tax purposes? An Post is an Irish company.

Part of the transport cost. It doesn't matter if they are an Irish company.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭surfin_shoes

Got my customs charge yesterday, they valued the powerline kit at €94 which is what I paid for it, so no problems there. Now it's sitting in Heathrow Transit Hub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭dubrov

Got my customs charge yesterday, they valued the powerline kit at €94 which is what I paid for it, so no problems there. Now it's sitting in Heathrow Transit Hub

I paid the customs charge a week ago and it only arrived into the Dublin hub today

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered previously in this thread. I ordered something using addresspal for the first time. It was received in the UK hub today and I was charged 6.50 address pal fee. When are the customs charges levied?

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered previously in this thread. I ordered something using addresspal for the first time. It was received in the UK hub today and I was charged 6.50 address pal fee. When are the customs charges levied?

You will get an email in 2 or 3 days ,But If you look at the Addresspal Portal you can view the Customs Form and that will show what value they have put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 igorked

And what happens if that value is 100 pounds more - are we better of paying the vat etc and then go back to who to get the difference back ?
    Any ideas - is that the support email address ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Exactly , People need to realise that UK is outside of EU - Goods from there are treated the same as if they came from India/China ! , Red Tape and Additional Costs are to be expected, Removing Red Tape and costs was the exact reason why the EU was setup in the first place....

Hi Tim, when you got your package from USA at what stage did you know the customs charge? I have $28 item coming plus the €15.99 AP charge . My item is showing as left AP NJ on 25th Jan but not arrived in Dublin yet. At what stage will they let me know the customs and handling charges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

You will get an email in 2 or 3 days ,But If you look at the Addresspal Portal you can view the Customs Form and that will show what value they have put on it.

Thank you so much. They valued it correctly, which is a great relief. I've been pretty worried after reading this thread.

Advertisement