Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Car99 wrote: »
    Hi Tim, when you got your package from USA at what stage did you know the customs charge? I have $28 item coming plus the €15.99 AP charge . My item is showing as left AP NJ on 25th Jan but not arrived in Dublin yet. At what stage will they let me know the customs and handling charges?

You will get an email in 2 or 3 days ,But If you look at the Addresspal Portal you can view the Customs Form and that will show what value they have put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

TimHorton wrote: »
    You will get an email in 2 or 3 days ,But If you look at the Addresspal Portal you can view the Customs Form and that will show what value they have put on it.

Thanks Tim , I looked at my addresspal account it shows the 15.99 charge but no customs form or anything. Anyways it wont be much I'm just interested to know the process. It's been nearly 3 weeks since they got hold of my parcel and it hasnt even made it to ireland yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Thanks Tim , I looked at my addresspal account it shows the 15.99 charge but no customs form or anything. Anyways it wont be much I'm just interested to know the process. It's been nearly 3 weeks since they got hold of my parcel and it hasnt even made it to ireland yet.

Damn. I made first two orders from AddressPal USA and now they're showing up as delivered to AddressPal (last week) but still no word of processing.

I'm not sure it's OK for them to not deliver it in 3 weeks :/

P.s. with AddressPal UK you get charged 6.50 when they get the parcel and then you get charged customs once the parcel reaches Dublin

Check the Portal again, In the "Shipping Status" Column the Word "Dispatched" should be there, There is a symbol to the right of "Dispatched" and that is your Customs form, Just click on it and it downloads a PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Fwarder wrote: »
    Damn. I made first two orders from AddressPal USA and now they're showing up as delivered to AddressPal (last week) but still no word of processing.

I'm not sure it's OK for them to not deliver it in 3 weeks :/

P.s. with AddressPal UK you get charged 6.50 when they get the parcel and then you get charged customs once the parcel reaches Dublin

You might be lucky and they may cleared some of the backlog by now.

• Advertisement

You might be lucky and they may cleared some of the backlog by now.

Haha...not sure about that...

Current status :
    USA 2 delivered, 0 processed, 0 came to Ireland, 0 came to me
    Uk 2 delivered, 1 processed (I got charged 6.50), 1 came to ireland (paid customs), 0 in transit to me :D

On example of UK, it takes about 7-8 days from when they receive the parcel until transport fee is charged, then 3-4 days for it to get sorted at customs and 3-4 days for it to reach you after paying customs.

Although first few shipments after the NYE cleared customs and were delivered to me following morning. Probably An Post wasn't completely clogged up then, but they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TimTom

I'm a bit confused with AddressPal, can I still use addressPal to purchase items with their UK address? I think that text says yes you can but they only service is delivery direct to your home ?

Their text '
    Deliveries:

From January 1st 2021 deliveries from the UK are changing due to customs.
    When shopping online use your Home Delivery AddressPal virtual address (see below for address examples).
    From this date, your Post Office/Collection Point AddressPal virtual address can no longer be used when importing items.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭dubrov

TimTom wrote:
    I'm a bit confused with AddressPal, can I still use addressPal to purchase items with their UK address? I think that text says yes you can but they only service is delivery direct to your home ?

Yes. They will charge you about a tenner plus Irish VAT on top though.

The seller send it to the UK virtual address and An Post forward it on to your home address after all charges have been paid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

dubrov wrote: »
    Yes. They will charge you about a tenner plus Irish VAT on top though.

The seller send it to the UK virtual address and An Post forward it on to your home address after all charges have been paid

Quick question..... tge €6.50 is charged to your credit card on arrival at the AP depot in England?? Yes??

Do they then advise of Vat and Customs charges while package is still in the UK depot?? As it doesn’t move til you pay same???

If you refuse / don’t pay the charges etc... do they Return To Sender the package or just leave it in the depot. I presume there is no refund of the €6.50 in this case

Just trying to get my head around the sequence of how it all happens

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭dubrov

For me they charged the 6.50 when the parcel arrived at their depot. I then received an email requesting an invoice which I sent. I then received another email requesting payment for the customs charge which I paid. That was a week ago and the tracking only updated to say it was in Dublin yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭pummice

I am trying to setup addresspal UK and US on ebay, but it wants phone numbers for these addresses, do ye have these?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

The UK number is:‪01727890600‬

For me they charged the 6.50 when the parcel arrived at their depot. I then received an email requesting an invoice which I sent. I then received another email requesting payment for the customs charge which I paid. That was a week ago and the tracking only updated to say it was in Dublin yesterday

Seems they are staring to request Invoices rather that picking a value from fresh air, This is good but will lead to delays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

starting to get annoyed at address pal now, ordered an item value 8 sterling free postage, got a message to pay €9.60 customs charges and the value marked as €29.07 wtf is going on here, still no response from my last email 10days ago regarding another item i was charged for:mad:

starting to get annoyed at address pal now, ordered an item value 8 sterling free postage, got a message to pay €9.60 customs charges and the value marked as €29.07 wtf is going on here, still no response from my last email 10days ago regarding another item i was charged for:mad:

I started asking everyone to send an invoice with the item now (got burned with the first item, and customs/anpost were playing pingpong with who's in charge of dealing with it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I was charged the 6.50 when the package arrived in Ireland. I cannot for the life of me see how that charge can be included in the total for customs and VAT. I am paying An Post a delivery fee here in Ireland, it has nothing to do with my UK transaction. Their valuation of my package was way too high but I had no option but to pay them or have the package returned. I feel like a victim of extortion and I certainly won't be doing business with Addresspal again.

If they don't charge you a customs fee then they can't charge you the 'service' fee. It's extortion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

polesheep wrote: »
    I was charged the 6.50 when the package arrived in Ireland. I cannot for the life of me see how that charge can be included in the total for customs and VAT. I am paying An Post a delivery fee here in Ireland, it has nothing to do with my UK transaction. Their valuation of my package was way too high but I had no option but to pay them or have the package returned. I feel like a victim of extortion and I certainly won't be doing business with Addresspal again.

What delivery fee are you paying An Post in Ireland? The €6.50 is the freight charge from London to delivered. That cost has to included for VAT/duty, as it is on the landed price. €3.30 is to outlay VAT and customs clearance.

whiterebel wrote: »
    What delivery fee are you paying An Post in Ireland? The €6.50 is the freight charge from London to delivered. That cost has to included for VAT/duty, as it is on the landed price. €3.30 is to outlay VAT and customs clearance.

And is paid to An Post in Ireland. The business and transaction is here in Ireland, not the UK. Unless Addresspal is registered and trading out of the UK then they should not be including charges for their services in customs charges.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It doesn't matter who the charges are paid to, or where. Tax/duty is payable on the landed price. If Apple bring in a container of phones from China Tax/duty is payable whether An Irish company bills Apple for he freight, or its paid in China.

You should familiarise yourself with this post for future. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter who the charges are paid to, or where. Tax/duty is payable on the landed price. If Apple bring in a container of phones from China Tax/duty is payable whether An Irish company bills Apple for he freight, or its paid in China.

You should familiarise yourself with this post for future. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

I have no problem with the UK postage being included in the valuation. Including An Post's charge is extortion as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, now that we see how things work post-brexit I imagine Addresspal will see a fall off in UK/Ireland business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I don't want to give people any ideas or what not but feel I should give update on my issue earlier.

My parcel was delivered. I didn't pay the bill as was waiting for the amount to be corrected.

The next day they sent me an email blaming covid for the delay and will get back to me soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

Mod <snip> you want to do that, so somewhere else. Get your supplier to put an invoice in the box next time.

Mod - warning and post deleted for Wilhelm III. Not an acceptable way to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Mod - warning and post deleted for Wilhelm III. Not an acceptable way to post.

an post or to post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 agzr

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Was keeping a keen eye here because I was using addresspal for the first time after brexit and had a feeling something would go wrong. I was right!

Package scanned in last night and I presume there was no order info in it and they estimated the value themselves. Overshot it by by about 40/50 quid. Paid 95 (105 with shipping) and they estimated it at £145. Emailed the customs email I found on the thread here to dispute it and sent the order confirmation and asked them to correct it before the customs email even came to me.

Sure enough, email came through tonight looking for customs fees.. and it was something.

Customs Value: € 164.56
    Import Duty: € 20.52
    Excise Duty: €0.00
    VAT: € 40.22
    An Post Fee: €3.50

Total to be Paid: €64.24

Hoping I get a follow up email to correct the fees, but not holding my breath. I'll hold out for a week or so and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 theWebAdvisor

Hi all,
    Does anyone know who is doing these valuations is it an Post or customs themselves?

Just had first delivery post Brexit from UK and got a whopper of a bill through from them for VAT and Customs duties.

Same as a lot of people on the thread, however this is for books which are zero rated for VAT. Can't see a customs official making this sort of error.

As an aside the valuation they used was crazy, from this one example looks like they are using the highest value found on a web search, in this case 13 times what you can buy it for.

Now that makes the original error even more implausible as one by a customs official as that would have meant they opened package saw books ( uhm, zero rated) they then went online to get a value and looked at various books to get a value. Can understand a mistake on value on an applicable good but charging on zero rated products someone needs to get control at their warehouse.

Will be doing an appeal and waste weeks, will also be filing it directly with Revenue, if it is an Post doing this can't see Revenue being to happy with zero rated products being charged out at 23% VAT.

Hi all,
    Does anyone know who is doing these valuations is it an Post or customs themselves?

Just had first delivery post Brexit from UK and got a whopper of a bill through from them for VAT and Customs duties.

Same as a lot of people on the thread, however this is for books which are zero rated for VAT. Can't see a customs official making this sort of error.

As an aside the valuation they used was crazy, from this one example looks like they are using the highest value found on a web search, in this case 13 times what you can buy it for.

Now that makes the original error even more implausible as one by a customs official as that would have meant they opened package saw books ( uhm, zero rated) they then went online to get a value and looked at various books to get a value. Can understand a mistake on value on an applicable good but charging on zero rated products someone needs to get control at their warehouse.

Will be doing an appeal and waste weeks, will also be filing it directly with Revenue, if it is an Post doing this can't see Revenue being to happy with zero rated products being charged out at 23% VAT.

An Post...funny things is that even if you have an invoice in the packaging, they still price it randomly...I recieved an item that got appraised more than what the invoice in the packaging itself said...must have been some master woodworker and vintage tool connoisseur turned customs agent who was looking at my parcel :)

And it's crazy because they're not answering any email or anything...so you either have to pay or your item goes back because they're not answering their emails (phonecalls are endless loop of "not my job mate" answers)

In fairness it is a highway robbery method...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 theWebAdvisor

Fwarder wrote: »
    An Post...funny things is that even if you have an invoice in the packaging, they still price it randomly...I recieved an item that got appraised more than what the invoice in the packaging itself said...must have been some master woodworker and vintage tool connoisseur turned customs agent who was looking at my parcel :)

And it's crazy because they're not answering any email or anything...so you either have to pay or your item goes back because they're not answering their emails (phonecalls are endless loop of "not my job mate" answers)

In fairness it is a highway robbery method...

That's where this one my be helpful to others by getting Revenue involved, in fairness to them ( Revenue) they don't take money not due and I can not see them taking kindly to a third party doing so. If anyone else has books or other zero related material that this happens to suggest they also flag Revenue, may but enough pressure on An Post to train staff or do what there US division does, asks for the invoice first if their unsure on value.

• Advertisement

That's where this one my be helpful to others by getting Revenue involved, in fairness to them ( Revenue) they don't take money not due and I can not see them taking kindly to a third party doing so. If anyone else has books or other zero related material that this happens to suggest they also flag Revenue, may but enough pressure on An Post to train staff or do what there US division does, asks for the invoice first if their unsure on value.

AnPost are an arm of the state , They are not a normal 3rd Party,

Advertisement