Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

spix wrote: »
    Has anyone got a successful followup from there yet? Think I'll just pay the bill and forget it in case they misread my message as me declining to pay and they return the parcel to sender. Will never use addresspal for the foreseeable future thats for sure. I know its supposed to be anpost doing the vat calculation, and addresspal doing the customs form, but imo it is more or less the same people failing on 2 separate calculations resulting in me paying nearly a 10er more than I should have to.

Mailed them last week but haven't heard anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

You are probably not in the mood for this but did you ever get comreg involved. They regulate an post and have a complaints section where I think you should be due compensation for the issues you had. Just a thought.

I was considering it at the time as couldn't believe how badly everything was run in AddressPal, zero accountability and indifference. The AnPost complaint I lodged to get the VAT portion of my refund returned did advise that if I was dissatisfied I could escalate to Comreg but at that stage I was so sick of it and had enough.

Package was worth just under €100 so if Comreg compensation was some pathetic percentage of value it wasn't worth investing further time. I did wonder what would be the situation if a higher value item was lost/stolen as AddressPal didn't offer additional insurance like ParcelMotel did to the value of €1k I think.

AddressPal policy in general appears to kick the customer/can so far down the road it's no longer recognisable and they eventually get disheartened and go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Its not just the customs or total value of the item- you also, believe it or not, get to pay VAT on all shipping charges too......... Don't blame An Post- thats at Revenue's door.

I already took that into account with all the numbers I posted, the vat still doesn't ad up. Its approx 3 euro too much based on addresspal valuation, and 9 euro too much if it was valued according to how much I actually paid. There is something seriously strange going on, how hard can it be to convert a GBP amount to Euro, add on 6.50 and multiple the total by 0.21.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

spix wrote: »
    I already took that into account with all the numbers I posted, the vat still doesn't ad up. Its approx 3 euro too much based on addresspal valuation, and 9 euro too much if it was valued according to how much I actually paid. There is something seriously strange going on, how hard can it be to convert a GBP amount to Euro, add on 6.50 and multiple the total by 0.21.
    Thinsk they also charge 3.50 to do the customs bit

TimHorton wrote: »
    Thinsk they also charge 3.50 to do the customs bit

I wasn't sure if that was added or not but it still makes little difference. The vat means the valuation is off by 15 euro based on addresspal declaration, and valuation off by 45 based on what I paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 MetalFaceDOOM

I've had the same issue with one of my packages, from 3rd January.

I haven't had this issue before (with nearly 100 purchases in the past 18 months from the US) so it's a bit strange. I have had a bunch of parcels hit my account since then. Not all have arrived yet, so I'm not sure if one of them is my "missing" package.

As an aside, I've spoken to Polar Express and the Post Office in Englishtown a few times due to how much I use them. They don't actually deliver to 5 South Main Street. Rather, all packages for the NJ hub that are sent via USPS are held in the post office and Polar Express collect them from there. The postmaster there told me before that each package is scanned when they pick them up, and the guy collecting them sometimes presses the wrong number when scanning (so if you see a "Parcel Left at Door/Patio" - they've just pressed the wrong button).

I'm hoping its a similar case here. In ~ 100 uses, I haven't had a single package go missing with the exception of those that were delayed because the sender input the address wrong - but they were eventually found.

Can you tell me what are the timestamps for you "Out For Delivery" and "Awaiting Delivery Scan"? There's a difference of 18 hours between mine exactly - I'm wondering if "Awaiting Delivery Scan" is auto-generated... EDIT: If you Google "Awaiting Delivery Scan" and look at images, the minutes in the timestamp are always the same so I guess it is autogenerated.

Hey I used address pal US for the first time last week and the tracking says my package has been handed to an agent in englishtown NJ toI’m just wondering how long do they usually take to process your item and dispatch it to here in Ireland? I’ve been using AP for the last couple years with stuff from the UK and the items have always been dispatched the day after they arrived in the UK hub. Here is a screenshot of the tracking

Thanks
    Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Hey I used address pal US for the first time last week and the tracking says my package has been handed to an agent in englishtown NJ toI’m just wondering how long do they usually take to process your item and dispatch it to here in Ireland? I’ve been using AP for the last couple years with stuff from the UK and the items have always been dispatched the day after they arrived in the UK hub. Here is a screenshot of the tracking

Thanks
    Ian

I had something delivered to AddresspalUS on 8 January and I got an email from AddressPal saying they had my item on 16th. Tracking says it’s left so hopefully it will get here soon. Email says 5-6 working days, so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

I was considering it at the time as couldn't believe how badly everything was run in AddressPal, zero accountability and indifference. The AnPost complaint I lodged to get the VAT portion of my refund returned did advise that if I was dissatisfied I could escalate to Comreg but at that stage I was so sick of it and had enough.

Package was worth just under €100 so if Comreg compensation was some pathetic percentage of value it wasn't worth investing further time. I did wonder what would be the situation if a higher value item was lost/stolen as AddressPal didn't offer additional insurance like ParcelMotel did to the value of €1k I think.

AddressPal policy in general appears to kick the customer/can so far down the road it's no longer recognisable and they eventually get disheartened and go away.

I’ll likely end up going down this route. My two lost packages are probably worth £300.
    @Dr_Colossus who did you contact within AnPost?
    Yes, I’m an idiot for going through addresspal but it was warehouse clearance and shipping direct to home was £100 per parcel just to put off foreign buyers, I should just have taken that as a sign it wasn’t meant to be.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I had something delivered to AddresspalUS on 8 January and I got an email from AddressPal saying they had my item on 16th. Tracking says it’s left so hopefully it will get here soon. Email says 5-6 working days, so we'll see.

Did you get the email stating how much duty/customs you have to pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

AmyMay wrote: »
    I’ll likely end up going down this route. My two lost packages are probably worth £300.
    @Dr_Colossus who did you contact within AnPost?

I think it was via AnPost website with an online contact us form. I always try and use email in such circumstances to create a trail but couldn't find one so just copied my submission to my email as a record. AnPost later contacted me by letter to my address so nothing electronic from them either on the matter and that letter (with cheque) have long since been disposed of.
    Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

• Advertisement

I think it was via AnPost website with an online contact us form. I always try and use email in such circumstances to create a trail but couldn't find one so just copied my submission to my email as a record. AnPost later contacted me by letter to my address so nothing electronic from them either on the matter and that letter (with cheque) have long since been disposed of.

No problem, thank you.

Don't waste time , Start at the top , Worked for me with Lufthansa

https://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-122014&c=An%20Post-Chief%20Executive

Did you get the email stating how much duty/customs you have to pay ?
    I bought from Amazon US so that was already paid, I just had to pay the €15.99 AddressPal fee

I think this shows the amount of effort going into these calculations by addresspal and anpost.
    My package definitely included an invoice as 1 item was valued exactly as paid. Another 1 of the items in my parcel on the invoice was 31.50, the value was entered on customs form by addresspal to be 30.15. Someone wasn't being careful when entering the numbers in the correct order. I guess I owe them more vat :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Some posts have been moved to the Import/Duty VAT thread as they are more general and not Addresspal specific.

I bought from Amazon US so that was already paid, I just had to pay the €15.99 AddressPal fee

What , Surely Amazon US to Polar Express in NJ that is a domestic transaction , The next leg from Polar Express to Ireland is the bit that attracts Duty/Customs ,

Is the transaction showing up in the AddressPal Portal ?

In the "Shipping Status" Column it should say "Dispatched" , to the right of dispatch there should be a small icon which when clicked reveals Customs Declaration CN23 form that has the valuation on it.

In regards to your parcel, this arrived into our UK hub without all the specified AddressPal details; it was missing your name and APW number. This causes delays as we have to search our customer database and find the account matching the limited information received.

All unclaimed or unidentified parcels were shipped to Ireland before Brexit in order to avoid customers being charged customs fees which are now in place. Our teams are making efforts to identify the correct AddressPal accounts for these parcels. Please bear with us while your item is located and dispatched to you.

Finally an update on my parcel they received on 1/12/20, at least acknowledging they took it in. Post Black Friday, Pre-Christmas and Pre-Brexit timing probably accounts for the time that it taken for them to contact me along with the labelling errors.
    Still no news on one from a company that is very reliable in their labelling process.

What , Surely Amazon US to Polar Express in NJ that is a domestic transaction , The next leg from Polar Express to Ireland is the bit that attracts Duty/Customs ,

Is the transaction showing up in the AddressPal Portal ?

In the "Shipping Status" Column it should say "Dispatched" , to the right of dispatch there should be a small icon which when clicked reveals Customs Declaration CN23 form that has the valuation on it.

Apologies, brain fart, was confusing it with my Amazon UK orders I have on the go at the moment. The total value including shipping was €19 so there doesn't seem to be anything extra to be paid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

So i ordered something to Address Pal in the UK which was delivered 6 days before christmas, i didnt hear anything at all until i called them early January and was told the parcel was in transit, last Friday someone from Address Pal a UK Number phoned me and asked me the value of the parcel so i told them 40 quid, i asked when i will receive this and was told by early next week (this week) and was charged €6.50 postage, yesterday i received a text and email saying i was liable for €14,12 customs fees, but seen as the item was delivered to them in December i feel i shouldnt have to pay this, it's not my fault if there was delays on their side, the facts are the item was ordered and delivered to them before 31.12.2020 , ive had no problems with other items which i ordered and delivered before brexit cutover which didnt get to me until January.

Not a huge charge but surely they are liable here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moved to Couriers for merge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Arriving in to AddressPal 6 days before Christmas with everything backlogged and a lack of flights? As it arrived in after 1st Jan, customs will be looking for charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Having a bit of a nightmare with a suit I ordered a suit from Marks and Spencers UK to AddressPal on the 28th December.

The order was split into three different consignments so It's cost me 6.50 Address Pal fee + 3.50 brokerage fee x3 = 30 euro in fees before VAT (you live and you learn). AddressPal have also incorrectly valued one of the consignments as the value of the full order and not having much joy in getting a response from them to revalue it.

I presume I still have to pay the relevant taxes as whilst it was ordered prior to the Brexit deadline it didn't land with AddressPal until after?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Apologies, brain fart, was confusing it with my Amazon UK orders I have on the go at the moment. The total value including shipping was €19 so there doesn't seem to be anything extra to be paid.

When filling out the customs declaration, Polar Express will put in shipping charges of €15.99. So this will be added to whatever value they put on the item itself, and this total is then the price that will be assessed. You'll likely get hit for VAT plus the €3.50 An Post fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

So i ordered something to Address Pal in the UK which was delivered 6 days before christmas, i didnt hear anything at all until i called them early January and was told the parcel was in transit, last Friday someone from Address Pal a UK Number phoned me and asked me the value of the parcel so i told them 40 quid, i asked when i will receive this and was told by early next week (this week) and was charged €6.50 postage, yesterday i received a text and email saying i was liable for €14,12 customs fees, but seen as the item was delivered to them in December i feel i shouldnt have to pay this, it's not my fault if there was delays on their side, the facts are the item was ordered and delivered to them before 31.12.2020 , ive had no problems with other items which i ordered and delivered before brexit cutover which didnt get to me until January.

Not a huge charge but surely they are liable here?

I already contacted revenue, an post, and solvit which is an EU based helpline. Unfortunately they all said the customs charges came into effect on the first of Jan and anything that lands into Ireland after that even if bought in Nov will be charged the vat and so on.

It's very annoying as we don't control the delivery company. But we are the ones who have been affected.

Kevin! wrote: »
    Having a bit of a nightmare with a suit I ordered a suit from Marks and Spencers UK to AddressPal on the 28th December.

The order was split into three different consignments so It's cost me 6.50 Address Pal fee + 3.50 brokerage fee x3 = 30 euro in fees before VAT (you live and you learn). AddressPal have also incorrectly valued one of the consignments as the value of the full order and not having much joy in getting a response from them to revalue it.

I presume I still have to pay the relevant taxes as whilst it was ordered prior to the Brexit deadline it didn't land with AddressPal until after?

Addresspal did their best to move any Ireland bound parcels out of the country before the 31st. If you go back some pages I do think the ones that were on UK soil at new years all got charged. They can only do so much for the late arrivals, not many flights or workers between Christmas and New Years. I assume they were also on holidays for New Years and once they returned the new system was to be followed??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Athasselabbey

Has anyone gotten a reply yet from ecommchargequery@anpost.ie?, i sent an email over a week ago, and nothing yet....

Has anyone gotten a reply yet from ecommchargequery@anpost.ie?, i sent an email over a week ago, and nothing yet....

sent one yesterday , not good waiting a week what is wroing with them

I already contacted revenue, an post, and solvit which is an EU based helpline. Unfortunately they all said the customs charges came into effect on the first of Jan and anything that lands into Ireland after that even if bought in Nov will be charged the vat and so on.

It's very annoying as we don't control the delivery company. But we are the ones who have been affected.

looks like ill have tobite the bullet and pay it so, but ill be still following up with them on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

looks like ill have tobite the bullet and pay it so, but ill be still following up with them on this

I'm having the same issue. It's impossible to speak to a human in An Post and they don't reply to emails other than an automatic response with a waiting number.

My item was purchased prior to Brexit but didn't arrive in Ireland until January. I can reluctantly accept a revenue charge but An Post seem to have made an amount up out of nowhere. First they are charging VAT on VAT, which as far as I can ascertain is not allowed and second, they are obviously using an inflated currency conversion rate to come up with an amount way beyond any rate I can see.

I'm guessing that the point will come when I have to pay to have the item released but I will be scrapping my Addresspal account straight after. Any organisation that can take my money (delivery fee already taken) without being available for contact, is not one I am happy to do business with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

I had to aswell. Sure let me know if you get any other answers.

I did get a reply suggesting to contact the HMRC (UK revenue) to apply for a refund of the uk vat.

But as I bought it before the 1st of Jan this probably would not be allowed.

It's a catch 22.

Advertisement