Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranks 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭downtheroad

defrule wrote: »
    In other countries where public transport is good, people don't mind walking 10-15 minutes to the nearest station. Once you are at the station you are connected to everywhere.

The problem is, in Ireland the thought of having to walk even 5 minutes to the nearest station is enough to put people back into their cars.

In other countries people cycle to bus and train stations and safely leave their bikes there for the day while they continue their commute. Try that here and your bike would be stolen or vandalised.

All dart stations should have secure bike parking.

I live near a dart station and the amount of people who drive as close to it as they can each morning and then leave their expensive metal box randomly parked on a road is disgraceful. And several of these people could benefit from the walk or cycle to the station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Edenmoar

Just wanted to say, I've about a 35 minute cycle to work and I don't break a sweat. I shower when I get up then cycle to town in my normal clothes. I don't even count it as exercise any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Edenmoar wrote: »
    Just wanted to say, I've about a 35 minute cycle to work and I don't break a sweat. I shower when I get up then cycle to town in my normal clothes. I don't even count it as exercise any more.

I think it’s entirely dependent on the person really, plus, the more you do it, the less you’ll sweat (over time)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If you're on a flat route theres no real reason to sweat, you'll sweat if you push yourself but casual pedaling is no different to walking really, just way faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SeanW wrote: »
    Not to the same extent as London, which has a number of factors that do not apply anywhere in Ireland. There's a very good reason why the article drew a distinction between its London specific figure of £8,000 and the UK nationwide figure which was less than a quarter of that. And remember, those were life-of-the-car figures assuming the car stays on the road for 14 years. They prove the exact opposite of what you are claiming - even the London figure directly contradicts any assertion that motorist don't pay enough tax.

1) Worse air quality. As of now, Air Quality Indicator sensors on London Marylebone Road show an AQI of 56. http://aqicn.org/city/london/
    Reliable figures for Ireland are not so widely available, but sensors in Rathmines and Bray most recently detected AQIs in the 30s, both readings falling well within a limit of 50 which is the limit for good air quality.
    2) Greater population density. The Greater London Area has more people than Ireland as a whole. Not only does that mean more people breathing in the lower quality air, but when there are lots of tall buildings around it tends to block winds from getting to the ground to blow bad air away.
    3) Greater population means that (everything else being equal) a smaller proportion of people driving causes more air pollution than a larger proportion of a smaller population elsewhere. E.g. if there are 1 million people in Dublin, and 25% of those drive once per day, that's 250,000 car journeys. But Greater London has more than 8 million people, if 25% of those people drove once per day, that 2+ million car journeys in London.

That's not to say that the situation in Dublin cannot get worse, but one county that has 8.8 million people is not comparable to a country with 5 million people spread out over 26 counties. That comparison is specious at best, disingenuous at worst.

Yet, even if we accept that the London figure is correct (I have no reason ATM to doubt it) and accepted your baseless comparison of it to anywhere in Ireland, that amounts to about €10,000 lifetime public health costs per car. VRT alone would probably cover that, and VAT, fuel duties, "Motor" Tax, tax on insurance policies, VAT on repairs and maintenance etc, all of that would still be gravy.

But certainly Dublin could get worse if the need to improve its public transport options is not understood by the powers that be. Right now the biggest cost of the infrastructure deficit in Dublin is the loss of people's time, and the public transport we have doesn't seriously ameliorate that.
    It may have a lot to do with the person - someone might be chilled out during their drive, listening to their music or whatever, whereas someone else might be stressed out of their heads, watching the clock, furious at the stop-start nature of their journey. It probably depends on both the person and how stressful the traffic.

Some very selective calculations there, Sean - comparing the total cost paid against SOLELY the healthcare costs - where's the full cost-benefit analysis? Where's the account showing the costs of the healthcare due to healthcare AND the roads infrastructure AND the regulatory infrastructure AND the enforcement infrastructure AND the vast amounts of public space given over to motorists AND the costs of healthcare relating to obesity, hypertension, diabetes, cancer etc etc.

I agree with your final point though - the impacts will depend on the person, just like any other health issue. Smoking causes cancer, but not EVERY smoker gets cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

Some very selective calculations there, Sean - comparing the total cost paid against SOLELY the healthcare costs - where's the full cost-benefit analysis? Where's the account showing the costs of the healthcare due to healthcare AND the roads infrastructure AND the regulatory infrastructure AND the enforcement infrastructure AND the vast amounts of public space given over to motorists AND the costs of healthcare relating to obesity, hypertension, diabetes, cancer etc etc.

I agree with your final point though - the impacts will depend on the person, just like any other health issue. Smoking causes cancer, but not EVERY smoker gets cancer.
    First of all, Spoiler alert - I'm using your figures! You posted the £8,000 figure which is why I addressed it.

Secondly, you now want to to add all this other stuff. Where to start >_< first motorists pay for a lot of that stuff, speeding fines, NCT fees, (your "regulatory structure), motorists who have jobs pay income tax (in addition to a rake of motoring specific taxes) and so are entitled to public services like roads. The whole point of paying tax is for things you have to buy as a group, like police, fire services, ambulances and - wait for it - roads! And before you say "well I pay taxes too, why should I pay for your roads" remember you get stuff in the shops delivered by truck, and it's generally accepted that not everyone pays for exactly the things they use - for example I have no children but my tax pays for schools, subsidised childcare and so on.

You also have to factor in the societal benefits of motoring. That is, the average cost to run a car in Ireland is around €10,671 euro per motorist per year. That is loan repayments, fuel, insurance, maintenance, NCT fees, VAT, VRT, "Motor" Tax, fuel duty etc. etc. etc. Since it is generally assumed that people will not pay something unless what they are getting at least equals in value the money that they are spending, we must assume that the value to each motorist exceeds €11,000 by a very large margin. And since all people are part of society, the collective individual benefits are also societal benefits. Assuming there are 1,000,000 motorists in Ireland, that means that people in society gain at least €10,761,000,000 in collective benefits from motoring. If we assume that someone will only spend money if the quality of life benefits they receive exceed the cost they spend by a factor of 2, then the figure for collective benefits to society from motoring is €21,522,000,000. Now add to that figure all the tax that motorists pay that is "gravy" for the government that they get to spend on other things. That is also social benefits, in addition to my estimate of €21.5bn in direct collective individual benefits and most likely amounts to many additional billions.

Deduct from that what you will.

Finally, I re-iterate my point that you cannot blame someone for driving somewhere even like Dublin because public transport is too bad, and crapping on motorists WILL NOT fix that problem. Only serious investment in public transport will fix it.

Most of us that by misfortune have to use Irish (especially Dublin) public transport have some horror stories. Slow ass commutes, sardine-can overcrowding on DARTs etc. By far the worst experiences I've had was when I had to commute from Lucan to the South City Centre. Won't bore all here with the details but the commute of less than 10 miles used to take more than 2 hours each way, and that was with a direct bus (some variant of the 25), bus lane all the way, and a bus gate at College Green.

What stuck out at me the most was that fully 1 hour of this (30 minutes each way) was lost trying to clear the whole College Green/Westmoreland/D'Olier St. mess - from which private motorists are banned. This is the state of public transport services in Ireland. Slow, infrequent, often indirect, often overcrowded and/or uncomfortable, and that's if you're lucky enough that it even exists in the first place.

The point is worth re-iterating. 30 minutes to clear one junction alone. A junction private motorists cannot use, and so cannot contribute to its problems.

You have to fix this before you can bash motorists for choosing to drive. From the perspective of Dublin, that can only be done if (at minimum) Metro Link is built, BusConnects is done and Dart Undergound is in place. At minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You have to fix this before you can bash motorists for choosing to drive. From the perspective of Dublin, that can only be done if (at minimum) Metro Link is built, BusConnects is done and Dart Undergound is in place. At minimum.

Motorist are the problem. We don't need all those projects before we can allocate both space and money to other better forms of transportation

First of all, Spoiler alert - I'm using your figures! You posted the £8,000 figure which is why I addressed it.

Secondly, you now want to to add all this other stuff. Where to start >_< first motorists pay for a lot of that stuff, speeding fines, NCT fees, (your "regulatory structure), motorists who have jobs pay income tax (in addition to a rake of motoring specific taxes) and so are entitled to public services like roads. The whole point of paying tax is for things you have to buy as a group, like police, fire services, ambulances and - wait for it - roads! And before you say "well I pay taxes too, why should I pay for your roads" remember you get stuff in the shops delivered by truck, and it's generally accepted that not everyone pays for exactly the things they use - for example I have no children but my tax pays for schools, subsidised childcare and so on.

You also have to factor in the societal benefits of motoring. That is, the average cost to run a car in Ireland is around €10,671 euro per motorist per year. That is loan repayments, fuel, insurance, maintenance, NCT fees, VAT, VRT, "Motor" Tax, fuel duty etc. etc. etc. Since it is generally assumed that people will not pay something unless what they are getting at least equals in value the money that they are spending, we must assume that the value to each motorist exceeds €11,000 by a very large margin. And since all people are part of society, the collective individual benefits are also societal benefits. Assuming there are 1,000,000 motorists in Ireland, that means that people in society gain at least €10,761,000,000 in collective benefits from motoring. If we assume that someone will only spend money if the quality of life benefits they receive exceed the cost they spend by a factor of 2, then the figure for collective benefits to society from motoring is €21,522,000,000. Now add to that figure all the tax that motorists pay that is "gravy" for the government that they get to spend on other things. That is also social benefits, in addition to my estimate of €21.5bn in direct collective individual benefits and most likely amounts to many additional billions.

Deduct from that what you will.
    All fascinating stuff, but none of which answers my question about the full costs of motoring imposed on society by motorists.

And no, by 'regulatory', I wasn't talking about NCT, I was talking about the vast amounts of Garda and Court resources, and the entirety of the RSA that goes on trying to get motorists to stop killing themselves and others - another huge cost to the state, that motorists don't pay for. The speeding fine contracts are not self-financing, that's another cost of €10m per annum that motorists impose on society. And the other aspects that I listed in my earlier post.

When are freeloading motorists going to stop scrounging off the rest of society?
    Finally, I re-iterate my point that you cannot blame someone for driving somewhere even like Dublin because public transport is too bad, and crapping on motorists WILL NOT fix that problem. Only serious investment in public transport will fix it.

Most of us that by misfortune have to use Irish (especially Dublin) public transport have some horror stories. Slow ass commutes, sardine-can overcrowding on DARTs etc. By far the worst experiences I've had was when I had to commute from Lucan to the South City Centre. Won't bore all here with the details but the commute of less than 10 miles used to take more than 2 hours each way, and that was with a direct bus (some variant of the 25), bus lane all the way, and a bus gate at College Green.

What stuck out at me the most was that fully 1 hour of this (30 minutes each way) was lost trying to clear the whole College Green/Westmoreland/D'Olier St. mess - from which private motorists are banned. This is the state of public transport services in Ireland. Slow, infrequent, often indirect, often overcrowded and/or uncomfortable, and that's if you're lucky enough that it even exists in the first place.

The point is worth re-iterating. 30 minutes to clear one junction alone. A junction private motorists cannot use, and so cannot contribute to its problems.

Read back over the thread. People are choosing to remain in their cars and not using public transport because they get to choose their own music, and they can't bear to sit beside other people.

And then they moan about traffic delays?

Motorist are the problem.
    Bull. The worst single junction in Dublin City is likely to be College Green - I know from personal experience it adds half an hour each way to a peak time commute on the bus. Motorists cannot use that junction, ergo they cannot be blamed for that problem. You cannot blame motorists for the lack of decent public transport.
    We don't need all those projects before we can allocate both space and money to other better forms of transportation
    Yes, we do. At minimum. I've been dealing with this crap for over 5 years now as a PT user in Dublin City. Dublin public transport - at its flat out, balls to the wall best - is slow, overcrowded and crap. Until that is fixed, people who drive in the city are the symptoms, not the underlying malady.
    All fascinating stuff, but none of which answers my question about the full costs of motoring imposed on society by motorists.

And no, by 'regulatory', I wasn't talking about NCT, I was talking about the vast amounts of Garda and Court resources, and the entirety of the RSA that goes on trying to get motorists to stop killing themselves and others - another huge cost to the state, that motorists don't pay for.
    The NCT is part of the "regulatory infrastructure" motorists pay for that. Driver license issuing? There are fees for that. Speeding fines pay at least part of the cost of the speed vans and drivers who break laws more seriously often have to pay for court costs and larger fines.
    And the other aspects that I listed in my earlier post.
    Which was just a rambling, incoherent list of "AND"s that - among other things, listed healthcare 3 times!

I don't have exact figures but I suspect that the cost of these "externalities" does not exceed the societal benefits which I roughly estimate as being a minimum of €25bn. And the benefits of freight transport which also stem from roads, the ability to get stuff delivered by truck to post offices and supermarkets etc. likely adds many times that in societal benefits.
    When are freeloading motorists going to stop scrounging off the rest of society?
    I assume that's a joke?
    Read back over the thread. People are choosing to remain in their cars and not using public transport because they get to choose their own music, and they can't bear to sit beside other people.
    I've been at the coalface of Dublin's pathetic excuse for public transport and housing crisis for the past 5+ years. I don't blame anyone for choosing to avoid it. If you're looking for a scapegoat you need to look somewhere else.

Bull. The worst single junction in Dublin City is likely to be College Green - I know from personal experience it adds half an hour each way to a peak time commute on the bus. Motorists cannot use that junction, ergo they cannot be blamed for that problem. You cannot blame motorists for the lack of decent public transport.

Yes, we do. At minimum. I've been dealing with this crap for over 5 years now as a PT user in Dublin City. Dublin public transport - at its flat out, balls to the wall best - is slow, overcrowded and crap. Until that is fixed, people who drive in the city are the symptoms, not the underlying malady.
    You're failing to see the wood for the trees. The problem with College Green isn't College Green. The problem is O'Connell Bridge, and Dame St and Nassau St - and all the private cars that block up all of those routes that result in buses and trams being held up on College Green.

The NCT is part of the "regulatory infrastructure" motorists pay for that. Driver license issuing? There are fees for that. Speeding fines pay at least part of the cost of the speed vans and drivers who break laws more seriously often have to pay for court costs and larger fines.

Which was just a rambling, incoherent list of "AND"s that - among other things, listed healthcare 3 times!

I don't have exact figures but I suspect that the cost of these "externalities" does not exceed the societal benefits which I roughly estimate as being a minimum of €25bn.
    Yes, motorists do pay for the NCT and for their driving licence. They don't pay the cost of the speeding vans. The State is on the hook for the remaining €10million each year just because motorists won't stick to the speed limit. That's a couple of primary care centres going unfunded because of speeding motorists. You don't get credit for 'paying part of the cost' - you get to take the responsibility for the €10m in state funding that you drag away from productive purposes to stop motorists from killing themselves and each other. And that's before you even think about the cost of the Garda Traffic Unit, with their nice new diesel polluting jeeps - just imagine if that money could be used for something productive?

And yes, it was a fairly rambling list, off the top of of my head, and it probably missed out a whole pile of other costs that I hadn't thought about.

Your €25 bn benefit is mythical. You confuse value with cost. And even it does create value, it is value for the individuals, not for society that is covering the cost.

So no, the comment on freeloading, scrounging motorists is far from a joke.

• Advertisement

You're failing to see the wood for the trees. The problem with College Green isn't College Green.
    Have you ever been to Dublin? Seriously? I remember before they built the Luas extension, getting around CG in the peak in bus or a taxi used to be not too bad. Until someone decided that it would be a good idea to save money by taking up half of it for a tram that should have been built as a Metro, with that junction dedicated to usage that had to be on the surface like buses and so forth. College Green is also connected to much of the rest of the city by bus lanes. This idea that cars elsewhere in the city are responsible for a junction that's been turned into a disaster by a should-have-been-Metro Luas, is bizarre to say the least.

I suspect it is you who are failing to see the wood for the trees. You obviously have a problem with motorists and you're letting that blind you to the fact that the problems in cities like Dublin are FAR beyond anything you can reasonably blame on motorists. Slow, overcrowded and mostly non-existent, 3rd world public transport. Housing that is scarce and where available is eye-wateringly expensive, and in the case of apartments, overpriced cheap-and-nasty garbage with paper-thin walls where you can hear your neighbors going to the toilet and often have fire safety issues.

But why address any of that when you can crap on motorists, right? :rolleyes:
    Yes, motorists do pay for the NCT and for their driving licence. They don't pay the cost of the speeding vans. The State is on the hook for the remaining €10million each year just because motorists won't stick to the speed limit. That's a couple of primary care centres going unfunded because of speeding motorists.
    Maybe it's because motorist don't speed as much as they "should?" For example, I tend to stick to speed limits especially when they are clearly appropriately set. 50kph in a clearly built up area? I'll stick to that. 80 or 100kph on a main road? Makes sense ... as a consequence I've never had to pay a speeding fine.

By your logic, I'm "costing" the taxpayer by not speeding past speed vans and helping, via speeding fines, to pay their costs. Perhaps we should all just break speed limits more to incur an extra €10m in fines and close the gap? Or maybe - just maybe - motorists speeding isn't the problem you'd have us believe.
    You don't get credit for 'paying part of the cost' - you get to take the responsibility for the €10m in state funding that you drag away from productive purposes to stop motorists from killing themselves and each other.
    Bull. Motorists pay huge amounts of motoring related taxes specifically related to road usage in addition to their other taxes as citizens - all of which entitles people to a variety of public services.
    And that's before you even think about the cost of the Garda Traffic Unit
    What is the budget for the Garda Traffic Corps? What should it be?
    Your €25 bn benefit is mythical.
    It was a conservative estimate. The true figure of quality of life benefits to people in society is probably many multiples of that.
    You confuse value with cost.
    People pay cost to get value. Every time you buy anything, you send a signal that the acquisition of whatever it is, is worth more to you than the continued ownership of money that you spent. If it isn't you won't buy it.
    And even it does create value, it is value for the individuals, not for society that is covering the cost.
    Now you are just trying to have your cake and eat it too. Either individuals are part of society, or they are not.

If individuals are part of society, then the "externalities" that harm individuals are indeed costs to society of motoring, but the value gained by individuals - which is absolutely enormous - are also benefits to society and they outweigh the costs which is why we allow people to drive.

Either that or "society" is just some abstract concept, to which even large numbers of individuals are not directly linked, in which case you are correct that the benefits of motoring are not societal, but then neither are the external costs.
    So no, the comment on freeloading, scrounging motorists is far from a joke.
    Good. Because if that was an attempt at humour, it was pathetic.

Have you ever been to Dublin? Seriously? I remember before they built the Luas extension, getting around CG in the peak in bus or a taxi

Well, I may not have 5 years experience of dealing with problems caused by trams that have been in place for one year, but yeah I have been around Dublin city for a while - and I see all the lads driving around with the empty armchair beside them and the empty couch behind them, complaining about the space taken up by other modes of travel.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Just to explain openly why no action will be taken for this part of an above post:

That’s clearly a ironic take flipping what’s said to cyclists back on motorists. SeanW (who is clearly pro-motorist) gets that. If you don’t get it you need to take a step back from your keyboard before getting annoyed. I know I’m likely to be taken up wrong here but please ask yourself is the point scoring or getting worked up about it worth it?

Normal rules apply. Do not reply to this post.

— moderator

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Just to explain openly why no action will be taken for this part of an above post:

That’s clearly a ironic take flipping what’s said to cyclists back on motorists. SeanW (who is clearly pro-motorist) gets that. If you don’t get it you need to take a step back from your keyboard before getting annoyed. I know I’m likely to be taken up wrong here but please ask yourself is the point scoring or getting worked up about it worth it?

Normal rules apply. Do not reply to this post.

— moderator

It didn't seem to take 30 minutes to clear the whole College Green/Westmorland St mess this morning in rush hour - maybe more like 3 minutes;

https://streamable.com/xt3u6

It didn't seem to take 30 minutes to clear the whole College Green/Westmorland St mess this morning in rush hour - maybe more like 3 minutes;

https://streamable.com/xt3u6
    Thanks for this video. It is indeed very informative, but perhaps not in the way that you intended.

Your view, as I understand it, is that the main problem with Dublin is that some people drive. The slow/overcrowded/nonexistent public transport and the dire housing situation have not as yet featured in any of your posts - despite the indisputable fact that both inadequate public transport and long commutes are central causes of congestion. But no, it's all just one-dimensional motorist bashing.

I assumed that the reason for this bizarre myopia was that you did not live or work in Dublin. However, as you so helpfully illustrated, it has another explanation.

Your video suggests that you live close enough to Dublin City Centre that you can commute by bicycle to and indeed beyond the D'Olier/Westmoreland/College Green mess.
    It also suggests that because you happen to be able to get around it relatively easy, by your mode, on your particular route, its problems aren't all that real to you individually. Thusly from your perspective those who have experienced issues here are overstating the case.

Your vision does not extend beyond the handlebars of your bike. Your analysis of the situation is facile, and your conclusions so far at variance with reality in almost every imaginable way that it beggars belief.

I can assure you that the problems that make Dublin a congested, un-livable mess for many people are in fact real, and my experience of them seems to be much broader than yours. I know because my landlord sold the house I'd been living in just over a year ago and I had to do the B&B scene for a few months last year because I simply couldn't find anything else for no matter how much money I was willing to offer - and that was a considerable sum! It was no big deal because I'm a young-ish man with a decent job, plenty of savings, and a family home I could go to at the weekend.
    But in the course of that I got to experience the joy of commuting from a wide variety of Dublin locations, Park West, Glasnevin, Navan Road, Lucan etc. It was nightmare, each place was worse than the last in terms of commuting time and stupid delays traveling relatively short distances.
    I also encountered families living in said hotels and it was not uncommon for me starting some stupidly long (time wise but short in distance) commute to see families preparing to take their children to school from the cheap hotel rooms the whole family was living in. This is the reality of life in Dublin today.

You want to know why there's travel chaos, homelessness and a myriad of other problems in Dublin? It's because they have been allowed to fester, mainly by people with small horizons and intentional mental blind-spots.
    Simply because you may not affected by many of these problems (homelessness, slow/nonexistant/overcrowded public transport and so on) doesn't mean that they are not real.
    They most certainly are, and the motorists you seem to despise so much are - at worst - symptoms of much deeper malaise. A malaise that to solve is going to require actual solutions, solutions I have not read in this thread.

Thanks for this video. It is indeed very informative, but perhaps not in the way that you intended.
    So we're just going to forget about how you said it takes 30 minutes for a bus to get through College Green at peak time, when it clearly doesn't?

So we're just going to forget about how you said it takes 30 minutes for a bus to get through College Green at peak time, when it clearly doesn't?
    All your video showed was that it takes you a few minutes on your bicycle, on your particular route. More power to you as far as I'm concerned, but your experience is not broadly representative.

I remember commuting on different variations of the 25 bus to get between Lucan and Merrion Sq. which was my worst experience (albeit by a thin margin) while doing the B&B scene. Each way 2 hours minimum on a commute of less than 10 miles. 1/2 hour of that trying to get around the D'Olier St/Westmoreland/College Green mess.

In the evening The queue of buses to get from Pearse St. to Westmoreland Street and out to the quays was unreal, despite the fact that motorists are banned from that movement. The reverse was true in the morning, and in all cases the quays were also very slow, despite having bus lanes all the way.

What all of this proved to me beyond any doubt is that the time for blaming motorists and faffing around with buses is long, long over. It's time to get the diggers out building Metros, DARTs and decent quality houses/apartments for people.

All your video showed was that it takes you a few minutes on your bicycle, on your particular route. More power to you as far as I'm concerned, but your experience is not broadly representative.
    Were you wearing blinkers? Look around the video - the road is largely clear, with small queues at each set of lights. No-one is taking 30 minutes to get through College Green on a bus there.

You're right to say it's not necessarily representative. It's just one rush hour trip. For me, it seems to be fairly representative of my experiences getting through College Green. There were longer delays last year when the Luas Cross City started, there were delays of maybe 5 minutes, at a stretch 10 minutes - but nothing like 30 minutes.

I can only conclude that your description of 30 minute delays is a large exaggeration for your own reasons.

Were you wearing blinkers? Look around the video - the road is largely clear, with small queues at each set of lights. No-one is taking 30 minutes to get through College Green on a bus there.

You're right to say it's not necessarily representative. It's just one rush hour trip. For me, it seems to be fairly representative of my experiences getting through College Green. There were longer delays last year when the Luas Cross City started, there were delays of maybe 5 minutes, at a stretch 10 minutes - but nothing like 30 minutes.

I can only conclude that your description of 30 minute delays is a large exaggeration for your own reasons.

30 mins was approximately the delay experienced when Luas Cross City had its first Monday morning rush hour to deal with, couldn’t clear the bridge because a few taxis blocked it was the common thing.

• Advertisement

Qrt wrote: »
    30 mins was approximately the delay experienced when Luas Cross City had its first Monday morning rush hour to deal with, couldn’t clear the bridge because a few taxis blocked it was the common thing.
    And it took a month or two for them to sort that out, right?

And it took a month or two for them to sort that out, right?

No clue really, I just know it was an absolute sh!tshow for ages. It still is mind, the luas signals still allow for the longer trams to block the quays if the first attempt is blocked (which is a chronic issue at Rosie Hackett/Burgh Quay)

Qrt wrote: »
    No clue really, I just know it was an absolute sh!tshow for ages. It still is mind, the luas signals still allow for the longer trams to block the quays if the first attempt is blocked (which is a chronic issue at Rosie Hackett/Burgh Quay)
    There's certainly not 30 minute delays happening regularly these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

I live near a dart station and the amount of people who drive as close to it as they can each morning and then leave their expensive metal box randomly parked on a road is disgraceful. And several of these people could benefit from the walk or cycle to the station.

You should get off your bicycle and tell them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

nah, I'd rather ask them about it on the rare occasion when they're walking about. Much safer that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Why would he do that? Silly & unhelpful post.

It just proves that people are willing to get out of their cars and use public transport instead of driving in to the city centre, it is, in essence park and riding. I live close to a DART station and see the same thing, people driving in the rain to park and ride. I also see people parking and scooting/cycling from suburbs close to the city.

Just proves how many people would be willing to use light rail/metro systems if they were close to their homes.

John_Rambo wrote: »

Just proves how many people would be willing to use light rail/metro systems if they were close to their homes.

This is a fairly unrealistic expectation though. Safe, dry secure bike locking and lockers for scooters and other devices would be a big help.

This is a fairly unrealistic expectation though.

Safe, dry secure bike locking and lockers for scooters and other devices would be a big help.

And that isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

And that isn't?

cost of building light rail / metro stations close to everyone's homes VS cost of providing secure bike and scooter storage

gosh, I sure wonder which of those numbers will be bigger

• Advertisement

Shai wrote: »
    cost of building light rail / metro stations close to everyone's homes VS cost of providing secure bike and scooter storage

gosh, I sure wonder which of those numbers will be bigger

Nobody wants to go to work on a kid's scooter...rail and metros have been transporting people for over 100 years..its a transportation system that works and one that people will use for years to come.

Meanwhile you can lock your bicycle to a railings like you've always done..i can't see Transdev building little houses for scooters..maybe you could buy a Wendy house and use that?

Advertisement