Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranks 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How do get to see the screen of their phone clearly enough to know what they're watching from the seat of your four door sedan? Wouldn't their phone be above your level?

Oh didnt i tell you? I often walk and sometimes cycle too...amazing what you can see when you open your eyes.
    No, you didn't say that before, until you were backed into a corner, surprisingly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Doesn't really matter what you call them - they cause collisions by stepping out in front of traffic without looking. So would you be pushing for them to have mandatory licencing, registration and insurance, based on your proposal for cyclists?

And so do animals, trees and other debris

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

No, you didn't say that before, until you were backed into a corner, surprisingly enough.

Yes..funny that i don't style my entire existence on any one method of traveling.

I wonder would there be much interest in a Pedestrians forum?

I could moderate it and ban anybody who accuses another user of jaywalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

Yes..funny that i don't style my entire existence on any one method of traveling.

I wonder would there be much interest in a Pedestrians forum?

I could moderate it and ban anybody who accuses another user of jaywalking.

We're all still waiting with bated breath for you to back up any of your earlier claims. I'm sure that's coming along any minute now and you're not actually the stereotypical example of a drive-by ****poster.

In the meantime, let me get you some more wood and nails for that cross you're trying to hammer yourself onto.

Shai wrote: »
    We're all still waiting with bated breath for you to back up any of your earlier claims. I'm sure that's coming along any minute now and you're not actually the stereotypical example of a drive-by ****poster.

What's this We business pilgrim?

Do you mean you and a few others from the cycling forum using your second account to snipe without harming your standing amongst the MAMILS?

Rather than me "back up my claims" perhaps you would care to refute them? That should release some of your pent-up tension.

Did you hear that Youtube arsehole Cycling Micky was arrested and cautioned for not wearing a helmet? It made me sad that he didn't film the humiliating exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Rather than me "back up my claims" perhaps you would care to refute them?

Hi there Enbalmer, I put up statistics to refute your claims. Can you (for the third time) put your money where your mouth is and come up with some stats that prove cyclists are dangerous in Dublin city?

Thanks.

What's this We business pilgrim?

Do you mean you and a few others from the cycling forum using your second account to snipe without harming your standing amongst the MAMILS?

Rather than me "back up my claims" perhaps you would care to refute them? That should release some of your pent-up tension.

Did you hear that Youtube arsehole Cycling Micky was arrested and cautioned for not wearing a helmet? It made me sad that he didn't film the humiliating exchange.

Yeah, we're not actually playing by internet troll rules here where you get to spout random drivel and the rest of us have to prove you wrong. Perhaps you can find the time to stop squatting over your keyboard, pull up your trousers, and back up your claim where you state that cyclists who got killed by cars were breaking red lights. That one was particularly vile.

edit: John Rambo is a more patient man than I am

Yeah, we're not actually playing by internet troll rules here where you get to spout random dribble and the rest of us have to prove you wrong. Perhaps you can find the time to stop squatting over your keyboard, pull up your trousers, and back up your claim where you state that cyclists who got killed by cars were breaking red lights. That one was particularly vile.

edit: John Rambo is a more patient man than I am

Sigh

Yawn

Linky

Other linky

And another

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ah man. These threads. Always great fun. People stuck in traffic getting frustrated and taking it out on cyclists who cause zero congestion. You’d think they’d be more grateful and turn their frustration in their fellow 20% full car occupants in front of them. Anyway, only going to be more cyclists o the roads for the foreseeable future. The amount of cyclists out these past few days-lovely weather. Meanwhile, Dublin’s bean canners are stuck in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I doubt that, it's not even an offence unless he happened to be in Aus or NZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I must say in 8 years of Dublin/Bray cycling commuting Ive never seen anyone watching a Youtube video on their phone while pedaling! Not sure how that would work, thats a quality stream of trolling BS in your last few posts Enbalmer, 9-10 easily proven lies in a row...

Thargor wrote: »
    I must say in 8 years of Dublin/Bray cycling commuting Ive never seen anyone watching a Youtube video on their phone while pedaling! Not sure how that would work, thats a quality stream of trolling BS in your last few posts Enbalmer, 9-10 easily proven lies in a row...

Fair play to the motorist who was live streaming the Ireland - Denmark game on an iPad mounted on his steering wheel a while back. Managed to join in a few minutes of the action looking over his shoulder until the lights went green. Ireland we’lre getting some decent possession. Disappointing match admittedly.

You do know that this is boards.ie, not boards.uk, right? You couldn't find any relevant Irish statistics then - didn't think so.

But if you do want to talk about the UK, we should probably start with the 4 or 5 people killed each day by motorists there. Just stop for a moment and take that in - 4 or 5 people killed each day on UK roads.

Yeah, yawn is right. I can find articles from all over the world that tell us horse riding, rugby, tiddly winks, darts and cycling can be dangerous to participants and others. That's life, what are you going to do? Never leave the house?

So... (for the forth time) can you back up your claims that cyclists are a danger and indeed more dangerous than cars in Dublin city with proper statistics??

Remember I've put two links from the city that prove cyclists are the more skilled and safer road users in the city.

Thargor wrote:

Anybody I saw doing it had a thing on the bike to sit the phone onto.

I hope you're not calling me a liar?

I should've taken pics but I guess photographing strangers to prove a point just isn't my thing.

I should've taken pics but I guess photographing strangers to prove a point just isn't my thing.

Were they not on Strava? Not calling you a liar, just confused and maybe a bit of a spoofer.

John_Rambo wrote:
    Remember I've put two links from the city that prove cyclists are the more skilled and safer road users in the city.

We'll if that isn't the most monumental arrogance I really don't what is.

Tell me,how do cyclists measure their competence and safety level?

Do cyclists take a test like motorists?

Do they need some sort of training before they get on their bicycle now?

News to me and everybody else.

You do know that this is boards.ie, not boards.uk, right? You couldn't find any relevant Irish statistics then - didn't think so.

Ah you're right..everything is different across the water.

Did somebody specify Ireland when they were demanding statistics?

Do you see my point about the mindset of cyclists? They absolutely refuse to acknowledge that they may occasionally be in the wrong...car drivers,pedestrians, everybody else will admit to occasionally lapping with regard to their safety or behaviour but cyclists circle the wagons and throw up this sort of stuff rather than just read the articles and maybe learn from them.

Your opinion, but like most of them on this thread, laughable.

In this case hard statistics. I posted up two. Read them.

Most hold a drivers license. And cyclists actually make better drivers than non-cyclists. Here's more stats from a study done on the subject.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2018/10/09/cyclists-are-better-drivers-than-motorists-finds-study/

Most are fairly skilled, their lives depend on the skills, don't forget your average fender bender for a cyclists can mean a broken back.

Indeed, news to you. This thread has been an education for you. You don't speak for everyone else pilgrim.wink.png

For the fifth time, can you put your money where your mouth is and find some info and stats that prove cyclists are a danger, or indeed a bigger danger than cars are in Dublin city?

They can measure their safety level by the number of people they kill. If you're fond of UK statistics, cyclists kill one or two people each year over there, compared to 4 or 5 people killed each day by motorists (1700+ each year). If you prefer Irish statistics, it is more than 15 years since a cyclist killed a motorist here. Over that same period, motorists killed more than 3,500 people.

But why would you be comparing cyclists and motorists at all? Are you suggesting that the same rules should apply to all road users?

Ah you're right..everything is different across the water.

Did somebody specify Ireland when they were demanding statistics?

Do you see my point about the mindset of cyclists? They absolutely refuse to acknowledge that they may occasionally be in the wrong...car drivers,pedestrians, everybody else will admit to occasionally lapping with regard to their safety or behaviour but cyclists circle the wagons and throw up this sort of stuff rather than just read the articles and maybe learn from them.

Where did anyone refuse to acknowledge that cyclists may be occasionally in the wrong. I'm very happy to acknowledge that cyclists may be occasionally in the wrong. Now can we move on to cover the real dangers on the road - the motorists who kill 2 or 3 people each week?

• Advertisement

Other than an unfounded rant, has anyone established what the Embalmers comments have to do with Dublin gridlock caused by motor vehicles?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Other than an unfounded rant, has anyone established what the Embalmers comments have to do with Dublin gridlock caused by motor vehicles?

Nothing but unsubstantiated waffle and hard to believe anecdotes. Classic trolling. Failed to prove a single point. Disapointing to see the likes of the enbalmer representing me as a motorist.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Nothing but unsubstantiated waffle and hard to believe anecdotes. Classic trolling. Failed to prove a single point. Disapointing to see the likes of the enbalmer representing me as a motorist.

It’s an interesting insight into the mind of Joe public who spends a lot of time stuck in traffic.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    And so do animals, trees and other debris

I've never had trees or debris stepping out in front of me in 50 years of cycling. I can recall one case of an dog running out between two parked cars. Dogs ARE required to be licensed, right? And dog owners are required by law to keep their dogs under control, right?

Speaking of not paying attention..i've noticed a trend amongst cyclists lately of watching youtube on their phones as they cycle.

Le me guess..car drivers do that too?

If you like, I'll dig out a couple of videos of drivers with videos playing while driving, So yes, drivers do this too, at worrying frequency - about one or two a week in my experience. Some watching videos, some doing Skype/Facetime video chats, some catching up on their soaps or Netflix, I've seen it all.

I have seen cyclists using their phone while cycling, usually causing danger to themselves, very occasionally causing danger for pedestrians.

But cyclists watching YouTube? Seen by someone who has previously expressed their abhorrence for any form of transport other than their four door sedan?

Who do you think you're kidding? You're not kidding me.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Citywest to UCD used to take 2 hours, recently they introduced a bus, was about time.
    Car to Blanchardstown takes me 15 min, with bus 2 hours cause I have to go to almost city centre, thank you Dublin.

Walking is faster than Dublin bus.
    We've close to no apartments and the ones we have are pure ****e.
    Drivers that regularly pass on red light, every day I see someone passing on red light, and because of that, we have a light instead of give way where we have left turns for example.
    It's just incredible that in a capital this small we have such bad traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah Im pretty sure you're lying there along with your various other statements.

Finally, some links have been provided. Thank you. Before venturing a look at these, let's first have a quick reminder that you were going to prove that cyclists are not getting fined for breaking the rules of the road, and more importantly, that cyclists getting killed by cars is because of cyclists breaking lights.

Right. Time to click on your links.

Oh.

It appears you failed to prove any of those claims. Instead it seems you have opted to go for a "cyclists are actually really dangerous and here is why" motif. Perhaps, this could be considered a hopeful sign. Perhaps, you trying to avoid responsibility for claiming "cyclists getting killed by cars is because of cyclists breaking lights" actually shows some latent degree of self-awareness. There might be hope yet.

Let's dig in further.

Oh.

It appears that all of these links are in fact focussed on issues in the UK. An easy mistake to make. How indeed would you have been able to figure out that in a thread on an Irish forum about the state of Irish commuting being frequented by people living in Ireland, that there was an implicit assumption your sources should in fact relate to Ireland. This shall forever remain a mystery.

At this point I find myself actually feeling bad about myself. I find myself wondering if I have in fact been slagging off someone who might perhaps best be described as "educationally subnormal". It would explain a great many things, like the inability to provide relevant statistics, or the complete failure to absorb relevant statistics that were provided to him. Most of all, it would explain the unusual pride this person seems to feel about achieving car ownership. For most, owning a car is a not especially noticeable bullet point in our lives. It's something that was accomplished, sure, but it is rarely seen as an achievement. But to you, it may actually be a highlight.

Twisted leotards all over the place.

The MAMILS are baying for blood 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Ok, you got big balls. Happy now?
    Moving on ..
    Finally, some links have been provided. Thank you. Before venturing a look at these, let's first have a quick reminder that you were going to prove that cyclists are not getting fined for breaking the rules of the road, and more importantly, that cyclists getting killed by cars is because of cyclists breaking lights.

Right. Time to click on your links.

Oh.

It appears you failed to prove any of those claims. Instead it seems you have opted to go for a "cyclists are actually really dangerous and here is why" motif. Perhaps, this could be considered a hopeful sign. Perhaps, you trying to avoid responsibility for claiming "cyclists getting killed by cars is because of cyclists breaking lights" actually shows some latent degree of self-awareness. There might be hope yet.

Let's dig in further.

Oh.

It appears that all of these links are in fact focussed on issues in the UK. An easy mistake to make. How indeed would you have been able to figure out that in a thread on an Irish forum about the state of Irish commuting being frequented by people living in Ireland, that there was an implicit assumption your sources should in fact relate to Ireland. This shall forever remain a mystery.

At this point I find myself actually feeling bad about myself. I find myself wondering if I have in fact been slagging off someone who might perhaps best be described as "educationally subnormal". It would explain a great many things, like the inability to provide relevant statistics, or the complete failure to absorb relevant statistics that were provided to him. Most of all, it would explain the unusual pride this person seems to feel about achieving car ownership. For most, owning a car is a not especially noticeable bullet point in our lives. It's something that was accomplished, sure, but it is rarely seen as an achievement. But to you, it may actually be a highlight.

• Advertisement

Twisted leotards all over the place.

The MAMILS are baying for blood ��

For the sixth time, do you have the ability to put your money where your mouth is and find some info and stats that prove cyclists are a danger, or indeed a bigger danger than cars are in Dublin city?

Your immature jibes and slagings aimed at "leotards" are getting you nowhere but furthering your evident ignorance for the reasons that Dublin ranks the 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion. It's obvious to everyone but you that every cyclist means a car off the road leaving more space for genuine sales car & van users with tools and equipment that have genuine needs to take their cars/vans to work.

Nobody is baying for blood, that's in your ever broadening imagination. We want to see less blood on the road.

Can you grow up and back up your claims like an adult or are you going to, again, wimp out with your continuing weak snipes and ill informed cheap shots?

Advertisement