Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

MuhAFMNA7ZT56PsFhls2TQHfzt3_KgZ8veJmaVDUOrNrtg6CKOBLkrAper_o16cDulSbq6I_ECEe550CbEsFxj6Wwm1GsLf9ILLFgjmnq-oL81uEvzASAD_tmH52Oi7SvbMgSu_uudI3QLTp3cveEaVhQQ0Mf23hdnUircjONfULdx2aJZVcAOL_xySr3P5yMOsf2o2uxcy94_gwiXUqnLeaE3iLoOkFH_Ugd7US17JoYl0MDIHVXC1JJA_vbqVeAswB78m1zoV0s9oKW7MRpa8yRR-zPxwm_90LBf1s-yoTiZljhCoaekyNjBoBvDT4EthjuexYAu5JzAjfD3djh7l9Eii3qCdmYAnqC6JBB9SoaB2DPbodJ0uYs0fevX9EBbALgSNOEUMz7A8INES22Ul_hieRvR1NHFLp0qYXWoFC3_Lf4QBAeLheup4Wry5RW38qctj6yTySHYExvhMpXUBNg8moFjgMZUE9vESFZvLw_w6TwQjBN9wxTKKEfFbh-o9sDyLw1DHS-JkzFTkyU2jeqUzRjyeFzPP_KWbRSTGepA8PkNC1k7GOLm9DTDqzj1I2bu_p98tVSpMOb_hjbMUupW15d75IgQzEIoFR_u-PzcatNrlxP6-okX7ezr_11w71cTCBZX5-xVS2BwxCuoFrQZWhasya26Vr1-2vdPRWyAULPTwW1KpLxqiDbw=w703-h937-no?authuser=0

Got mine as well. Definitely keeping it for a special occasion at least.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Unfortunately couldn't make it down yesterday, will pop down this coming week hopefully.

In fairness the bottles and boxes are a work of art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Unfortunately couldn't make it down yesterday, will pop down this coming week hopefully.

In fairness the bottles and boxes are a work of art.

As far as I'm aware, any bottles not collected yesterday will be posted out next week.

Wailin wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, any bottles not collected yesterday will be posted out next week.

Not all of them, you can choose to have it posted or arrange another day to visit and pick it up, which I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Has anyone tried this 'Single Malt Irish Whiskey 8 Year Old (That Boutique-y Whisky Company)'

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/that-boutiquey-whisky-company/single-malt-irish-whiskey-that-boutiquey-whisky-company-whiskey/?srh=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Signed up for this one.

Paul John Tasting Friday 31st July at 7:30 p.m. via Zoom

We are delighted to be bring you some Indian whisky from the Paul John distillery in Goa. Global brand ambassador Shilton Almeida will guide us through 6 wonderful whiskies from something fruity to smokey delights. The range is very diverse and it promises to be an excellent event.

Tickets are on sale now via the following link below

https://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=pjtasting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Should be interesting.

Wailin wrote:
    Should be interesting.

It's Belfast Whiskey week too so I have introduction to Irish Whiskey on the Monday, pre 70s Irish Whiskey on the Tuesday, Indian whisky on Friday and JJ Corry on the Sunday. Works out at 36 samples. The missus probably throw me out half way through it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,161 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cazale wrote: »
    It's Belfast Whiskey week too so I have introduction to Irish Whiskey on the Monday, pre 70s Irish Whiskey on the Tuesday, Indian whisky on Friday and JJ Corry on the Sunday. Works out at 36 samples. The missus probably throw me out half way through it!

JJ Corry is the saturday at 6 unless you are replaying it. Have signed up for it also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Make sure to take your remaining samples with you!

odyssey06 wrote:
    JJ Corry is the saturday at 6 unless you are replaying it. Have signed up for it also.

So it is. Should be a good event.

The distilled online whiskey festival this Saturday has sold 550 tickets. They are starting to send out the samples by ups today. There are 320 bottles of a special single cask 63.7% Highland Park for sale to attendees of the festival at €130 a bottle. Any left over will go on general sale from L Mulligans.

The distilled online whiskey festival this Saturday has sold 550 tickets. They are starting to send out the samples by ups today. There are 320 bottles of a special single cask 63.7% Highland Park for sale to attendees of the festival at €130 a bottle. Any left over will go on general sale from L Mulligans.

Do the samples include one of the Highland Park cask? Cheers.

odyssey06 wrote:
    Do the samples include one of the Highland Park cask? Cheers.

Yeah.

Signed up for another Belfast whiskey week event today.. I need to stop.. !

But some very interesting ones in this that I'm looking forward to.

2 Bespoke glasses

• 6 x 50ml Exclusive Irish Drams:

Kinsale Spirits — RedEarl Cask Strength, Triple Casked (Bourbon, Sherry & Rioja) Cask Strength @60%

Dublin Liberties Distillery — Distillery Exclusive, 5yr Old, Bourbon Cask, Cask Strength @58.5%

The Connacht Whiskey Company — 14yr Old, Marsala Cask, Cask Strength @45%

Hinch Distillery — 12yr Old, Amarone Cask Finish, Cask Strength @58.73%

Killowen Distillery — Bonded Experimental Series,10yr Old Blend, Virgin Hungarian Oak Cask Finish, Cask Strength @56.6%

IDL — Powers — John’s Lane, Cask Strength @58.5%

The Echlinville Distillery — Dunville’s, 19yr Old Single Malt, Cask, Cask Strength @56%

Dingle Distillery - Pot Still 4th Release, Cask Strength @59.9%

Belfast Whiskey Week — Festival Bottle — Killowen, 10yr Old Single Malt, Single Cask, Rum Cask Finish, Cask Strength @55.6%

• Advertisement

Confused... thats a long list of whiskies but the intro says 6 x50ml?

odyssey06 wrote:

Copy and paste job I think. The list of whiskey is the right one.

mik_da_man wrote:
    IDL — Powers — John’s Lane, Cask Strength @58.5%

One of my favorites. I've never seen a cask strength anywhere before even as samples. Jealous!

odyssey06 wrote: »

Yeah, I just copied it from the event, looks to be 8 samples and one bottle.

Really looking forward to the John's Lane and Dingle CS ones. Most, if not all are ones that never will be bottled so great to get a chance to try

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Diamond Dogs

Distilled samples arrived.

Has anyone received their samples from the Belfast Whiskey Week crew so far?

• Advertisement

Distilled samples arrived.
    Has anyone received their samples from the Belfast Whiskey Week crew so far?

Haven't received either yet... am in Dublin.
    My Distilled order hasn't shipped with UPS yet according to tracking.

Edit: Distilled samples arrived Thursday lunchtime but no UPS tracking notification. Luckily I was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I have received nothing from Belfast Whiskey Week also. I hope to god they dont ship with An Post as every package I have received from them has been a week or two late.

Most of the packages have been whiskey samples too so iv actually missed out on a lot of live tastings. :(

Thanks for the updates. The Distilled samples will be delivered by UPS, so I'm sure you'll receive your order by tomorrow evening.

The Belfast Whiskey Week samples might be delivered by standard post, or not... I haven't seen anything specific on how they plan to send them out. I haven't received anything from them either way yet. We'll see how it goes by next weekend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Knappogue 12 year old down to 40 quid in OBs

Teeling Single Pot down to 50

https://www.obrienswine.ie/collections/irish-whiskey

The Belfast Whiskey Week samples might be delivered by standard post, or not... I haven't seen anything specific on how they plan to send them out. I haven't received anything from them either way yet. We'll see how it goes by next weekend...

Yeah, I believe they were due to start sending out stuff last week but I haven't heard anything further. Some of the tasting boxes were going to be personally delivered too apparently. So it will be interesting to see how it's handled.
    It's getting close!

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yeah, I believe they were due to start sending out stuff last week but I haven't heard anything further. Some of the tasting boxes were going to be personally delivered too apparently. So it will be interesting to see how it's handled.
    It's getting close!

Thanks a mil for that.

Yeah, it's mainly because the delivery has the potential for understandable delays nowadays that am I wary on the Belfast stuff, particularly if it's not by courier.

Let's see if anyone receives their parcel of whiskies from them in the coming days :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I got UPS emails with tracking info and received Distilled yesterday.

Was a bit disappointed as my 4pm masterclass was meant to be M&M. I ordered June 11th so I wouldn't think they ran out. I got O'Connell instead. I really wanted to try M&M after hearing a lot about it on this forum and have never tried it. Can't tell if I should be disappointed until I try them I suppose.

I did email them last night, twice, but haven't heard back from them. Assuming it's too late anyway.

Also, did anyone win the Redbreast lottery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭dball

does anyone know how to access this site, its not asking any specific questions and I cant seem to get through with the entry page
    https://www.westcorkdistillers.com/
    TO WEST CORK DISTILLERS
    You have to be of legal drinking age to enter this site

ENTER SITE
    By entering this site, you are agreeing to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Statement and by continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to accept our use of cookies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

dball wrote: »
    does anyone know how to access this site, its not asking any specific questions and I cant seem to get through with the entry page
    https://www.westcorkdistillers.com/
    TO WEST CORK DISTILLERS
    You have to be of legal drinking age to enter this site

ENTER SITE
    By entering this site, you are agreeing to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Statement and by continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to accept our use of cookies.

Not working for me either.

Was a bit disappointed as my 4pm masterclass was meant to be M&M. I ordered June 11th so I wouldn't think they ran out. I got O'Connell instead. I really wanted to try M&M after hearing a lot about it on this forum and have never tried it. Can't tell if I should be disappointed until I try them I suppose.

I did email them last night, twice, but haven't heard back from them. Assuming it's too late anyway.

Sorry to hear about your M&M samples, it was probably in very high demand. You'll enjoy the O'Connell stuff, though :-)

No idea about the Redbreast lottery, but it was not me, haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

That's what I was hoping to hear. They did just write back and are sending the M&M with apologies and said I could watch it later.

They also said
    Good news is we haven't selected the winner for the Redbreast tasting yet, we will do that throughout the day on Saturday.

I didn't realise that tasting would be done at a later time but that makes sense so they can get a bit of fun out of it.

Looking forward to it!

That's what I was hoping to hear. They did just write back and are sending the M&M with apologies and said I could watch it later.

They also said

I didn't realise that tasting would be done at a later time but that makes sense so they can get a bit of fun out of it.

Looking forward to it!

Great to hear that! Fair play to L.Mulligan Whiskey for spotting you for the M&M and enjoy the W.D. O'Connell bonus!

Edit: I can see the Redbreast Dreamcask lottery being a running gag throughout Saturday, haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Finally got down to the Father in Law in Sligo this evening. So I'll finally get a taste of the Ratheadon I got him. :)

He also informs me he kept me some Glendalough 15. Anyone know anything about it?

The O'Connell whiskey is decent stuff so you didn't do too bad out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 johnjoeclock

Red breast 12 cask strength

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Did you just email them back? I got the wrong samples too unfortunately.

What did you think of the sample selection overall? I have mixed feelings especially about the redbreast 12 and the fact that there are not any real standout whiskey's apart from the highland park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just sipping on a dram of The Irishman Founders Reserve. Probably the smoothest whiskey Iv ever tried. Almost too smooth. Lacks a bit of after taste. Definitely interesting and definitely a whiskey you could drink all night!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Distilled bits arrived today, via taxi for some reason.

Finally got down to the Father in Law in Sligo this evening. So I'll finally get a taste of the Ratheadon I got him. :)

He also informs me he kept me some Glendalough 15. Anyone know anything about it?

The Ratheadon absolutely blew him away. I have to say it's fantastic. Lovely finish off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

Myself and three of my friends got together and did the lottery for the Redbreast. We said we would share the cost of any bottle we won, if we were lucky enough. We got one bottle in the first round and were lucky to get a second bottle in the second round. We are going to drink one bottle (we have opened it, and have drank half, lovely) We intend on keeping the second bottle.

B1gft wrote: »
    Myself and three of my friends got together and did the lottery for the Redbreast. We said we would share the cost of any bottle we won, if we were lucky enough. We got one bottle in the first round and were lucky to get a second bottle in the second round. We are going to drink one bottle (we have opened it, and have drank half, lovely) We intend on keeping the second bottle.

Congrats on winning the bottle :)

I think the poster here though is talking about the lottery as part of L Mulligans online Distilled festival. Anyone who bought a ticket to the festival is entered into a draw for a free tasting sample of the RB Dream Cask. We think the draw will take place tomorrow during the festival.
    The odds are about 22/550 though!

Congrats on winning the bottle :)

I think the poster here though is talking about the lottery as part of L Mulligans online Distilled festival. Anyone who bought a ticket to the festival is entered into a draw for a free tasting sample of the RB Dream Cask. We think the draw will take place tomorrow during the festival.
    The odds are about 22/550 though!

Sorry about that.

B1gft wrote: »
    Sorry about that.

No harm no foul. While we're on the subject of the Red Breast cask - just wondering how do you drink it i.e. straight or in ratio with water?
    Cheers.

No harm no foul. While we're on the subject of the Red Breast cask - just wondering how do you drink it i.e. straight or in ratio with water?
    Cheers.

We all tried it without water. The other three then went with water, I did not. They thought the water improved it. I must admit I loved it without, strong but smooth.

For the Distilled Festival tomorrow, are those of you taking part planning to pop the Bar 1661 cocktail sample in the fridge tonight?

• Advertisement

For the Distilled Festival tomorrow, are those of you taking part planning to pop the 1661 cocktail sample in the fridge tonight?

Just did so :)
    It says devil's advocate cocktail on the bottle but googling it there doesn't seem to a definitive recipe for it.
    According to food.com it might be fireball whiskey liqueur, spiced rum, apple schnapps and lemon-lime? Didn't get any cinnamon scent though.
    Bar 1661 have some interesting pre-mixed cocktails available for pickup or delivery.

Just did so :)

Bar 1661 have some interesting pre-mixed cocktails available for pickup or delivery.

Thanks for the feedback and the tip on Bar 1661, good to know they deliver (for the post-Festival comedown!)

Waterford Ratheadon v Waterford Bannow Island side by side tasting - ordered some sample measures via Drops from the Sky and broke out the Glencairn glasses.

The Ratheadon at first hit me with aggressive spice... tasting notes online suggest white pepper?
    Wasn't sure about it, 'tamed' it with some chilled Ballygowan and it opened up for me into a lovely drop.
    The Bannow Island is a more straightforward (simpler?) whiskey, hit of spice but not to the same extent as the Ratheadon.
    The Ratheadon is the more interesting whiskey for me, lot going on here. Think it's a whiskey you could return to again and again and be surprised by - unusual for such a young whiskey?

Hard to believe that the only difference between the two is the terroir.
    Intrigued as to what Waterford come out with next.

* I didn't order the Ballykilcavan based on earlier reviews here

Waterford Ratheadon v Waterford Bannow Island side by side tasting - ordered some sample measures via Drops from the Sky and broke out the Glencairn glasses.

The Ratheadon at first hit me with aggressive spice... tasting notes online suggest white pepper?
    Wasn't sure about it, 'tamed' it with some chilled Ballygowan and it opened up for me into a lovely drop.
    The Bannow Island is a more straightforward (simpler?) whiskey, hit of spice but not to the same extent as the Ratheadon.
    The Ratheadon is the more interesting whiskey for me, lot going on here. Think it's a whiskey you could return to again and again and be surprised by - unusual for such a young whiskey?

Hard to believe that the only difference between the two is the terroir.
    Intrigued as to what Waterford come out with next.

* I didn't order the Ballykilcavan based on earlier reviews here

That's good to hear.

Normally I drink my whiskey with water, but for some reason I kept the Ratheadon neat on Friday at each turn. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I did that, or even added ice to the mix. So yeah, that was quite something from a personal pov!

That's good to hear. Normally I drink my whiskey with water, but for some reason I kept the Ratheadon neat on Friday at each turn. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I did that, or even added ice to the mix. So yeah, that was quite something from a personal pov!

Each to their own! If you are fortunate enough to have a full bottle I think it would be interesting for you to judge the taste of the whiskey e.g. neat, with 1 small ice cube, with a drop of chilled water, with 50-50 to water etc.
    A full bottle of Ratheadon and a mini of one of the other expressions so you can compare them would be the best of both worlds :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement