Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    As my phone is my only gaming platform now, I'm starting to go a bit spare. Can anyone recommend a good phone game? Either like a survivor type or escape room? The free'er the better. Have tried s few random ones and ended up quickly deleting them.

If you want something meaty Final Fantasy Tactics is a great port of one of the best games ever made. Touch screen controls work really well. Just be aware, it's tough! Not cheap but worth it.

Really enjoy the Room games. Not free either but worth the price.

Groove Coaster, the Monument and it's sequel, Mario Run, and the professor layton games would get my recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks lads. Gamepass on Android would be class, would easily but a joypad and then shoot the phone screen to the telly. Yeah, among us is the only one i play at the moment. I love gwent but only looked it in the Witcher for some reason.

The Room looks good, i absolutely loved Spotlight: room escape.

Might give Fallout Shelter another go. Old games like broken sword are tempting as well but touch controls can really ruin them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

As my phone is my only gaming platform now, I'm starting to go a bit spare. Can anyone recommend a good phone game? Either like a survivor type or escape room? The free'er the better. Have tried s few random ones and ended up quickly deleting them.

Command and conquer rivals is great and free.

It looks daft but is surprisingly a good take on the format. You build a deck like a card game then take on someone 1v1.

You Harvest tiberium, build units and use some rock paper scissors tactics to fight. The idea is to hold the three pads one the map. If you hold more pads the missile starts building up. Once it reaches the top it fires. Who ever holds the balance when it launches gets the kill. (You can steal it at the last second)

Games are short. But suit a phone.

This is a high level player but give an idea. It's not this hate starting out.

https://youtu.be/Eg4iSyq38WM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

The Cube:Escape games from Rusty Lakes are good escape room games. There are loads of them, most are free, and there is a continuous story in the background if you like that kind of thing too (not necessary to follow it to play the games though).

Crashlands is a great survival game, works well on the phone and has a fun story. It costs €5, but is on the Google Play Pass subscription, which is €5 per month so that might be worth looking at (Play Pass has Terraria, This War Of Mine, Hidden Figures, Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic and whole load of other good games on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Finished Days Gone yesterday.
    My quick thoughts: It was better than I was expecting however the story is kinda crappy and the character you play as doesn't become interesting until the very late stages of the game.

Loved going around on the motorbike, probably my favourite part of the game.

The performance on my OG playstation 4 was pretty dreadful. It felt like the FPS was dropping below 20fps at times and I had 2 horde encounters were pretty much no textures loaded in on the scenery.

Found it quite annoying that the different camps offered different weapons/bike upgrades.

Side missions are pretty meh, but some of the main story missions were great.

Overall though the main story felt around 5 hours too long and by the end it was a bit of a slog to finish it.

Overall I'd give it a positive 7.5 out of 10.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the mobile recommendations lads, the cube rooms look right up my street, will check out some of the others as well.

As for Days Gone, I really hope it gets a boost on PS5. As part of the ps plus collection, really looking forward to giving it a spin on next gen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Thanks for the mobile recommendations lads, the cube rooms look right up my street, will check out some of the others as well.

As for Days Gone, I really hope it gets a boost on PS5. As part of the ps plus collection, really looking forward to giving it a spin on next gen.

Have you tried Stadia? If you have revolut one of the promotions is 3 months of pro for free. You get a few games, once you have a controller it should work.

List of supporting mobile devices (you can set an unsupported one to play but performance might not be great).

https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9578631?p=compatible_screens&visit_id=637395717374226232-1546191110&rd=1

Have you tried Stadia? If you have revolut one of the promotions is 3 months of pro for free. You get a few games, once you have a controller it should work.

List of supporting mobile devices (you can set an unsupported one to play but performance might not be great).

https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9578631?p=compatible_screens&visit_id=637395717374226232-1546191110&rd=1

Ah won't work on my One Plus 3 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Would something like Lara Croft go keep you entertained?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Would something like Lara Croft go keep you entertained?

Nah, i had a look at that and hitman go before, not my cuppa. I'm remembering why i deleted fallout shelter so many times before, the thing is addictive as ****. Just one quick check on resources, of might as well do a quest, try make a baby and make more resources....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Game Dev Tycoon is another quality mobile game if you haven’t already tried it Zero, strikes a perfect balance between fun and simulation and pretty much everything is customisable. Not free but it’s given me plenty of hours of entertainment, and it’s very replayable too.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Game Dev Tycoon is another quality mobile game if you haven’t already tried it Zero, strikes a perfect balance between fun and simulation and pretty much everything is customisable. Not free but it’s given me plenty of hours of entertainment, and it’s very replayable too.

Looked it up, actually sounds like a lot of fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nah, i had a look at that and hitman go before, not my cuppa. I'm remembering why i deleted fallout shelter so many times before, the thing is addictive as ****. Just one quick check on resources, of might as well do a quest, try make a baby and make more resources....

TMI?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    TMI?

TMI would be having a system in place where when a new female arrives at my vault, i send her straight to the living quarters and make her wait for whatever male i can spare at that moment to introduce her to Vault life. She's all happy with the situation but still feels dark :(

The downside is having a bunch of kids strolling around being useless as i can't put them to work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TMI would be having a system in place where when a new female arrives at my vault, i send her straight to the living quarters and make her wait for whatever male i can spare at that moment to introduce her to Vault life. She's all happy with the situation but still feels dark :(

The downside is having a bunch of kids strolling around being useless as i can't put them to work.

For the first few words of that I was about to ring the police and report Fritzel the second....

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For the first few words of that I was about to ring the police and report Fritzel the second....

An overseer has to make tough decisions to make the Vaultv great. I say that but I'm in a bad way now. Too many mouths to feed, can't generate food fast enough. I've flown too close to the sun..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Can you eject the kids? They seem like the problem here...

Can you eject the kids? They seem like the problem here...

I haven't tried but i need to watch them closely because the second they come of age, they are put straight to work to generate sweet sweet resources..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Speaking of mobile games, whoever made "AFK Arena" sure has pumped a tonne of money into YouTube ads. Multiple formats, and even paid Elijah Wood or Markiplier to star in a bevvy. They're before nearly every vid I've watched and ye gods guys, back it up a little.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Speaking of mobile games, whoever made "AFK Arena" sure has pumped a tonne of money into YouTube ads. Multiple formats, and even paid Elijah Wood or Markiplier to star in a bevvy. They're before nearly every vid I've watched and ye gods guys, back it up a little.

OMG you're playing AFK Arena too, check out my latest waifu, she's a defender type but also serious **** fodder for before I cry myself to sleep at night.

Those adverts are like a double whammy of annoying. I mean being advertised PoS mobile gacha game before every video is bad enough but the veins in me head stand out because of the AFK Arena name where it's obviously been named by a marketing team that has no ****ing idea what AFK actually means but it sounds cool and the 'Gamerz' use it and they were probably chinese with only a basic grasp of english.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Off topic - but its possible to get YouTube premium for €1.30 per month using revolut. Its a genuine game changer. no more ads, and the ability to have clips play when your phone screen is off improve the whole experience immeasurably.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Is Elijah Woods expensive?

I’ve been playing a game called Sniper Strike. I’d normally just stop when the lives run out rather than play the adverts but I got hooked on the game even though it is too easy.

Anyways my question is about the adverts.

They are are all for app me chat claim you can will real and significant amounts of cash. Bunch of toases dancing about acting like they won the lotto.

I ignored them knowing there is a catch - you win pennies and lose them regularly or something - but I saw so many that I got curious as to how Apple would allow apps like that and why PayPal don’t object to the use of it in the adverts.

Some of apps are indeed on the App Store but none claim you can win real money and none of the preview windows show them as slot machine games. They seem like endless runner games or just puzzle games.

I thought Apple test all the apps before approving them for the store - would they not object to apps that do not do what is advertised? Doesn’t Apple have rules about in app adverts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭recyclops

Off topic - but its possible to get YouTube premium for €1.30 per month using revolut. Its a genuine game changer. no more ads, and the ability to have clips play when your phone screen is off improve the whole experience immeasurably.

how is this possible checked the app and cant see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,272 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

recyclops wrote: »
    how is this possible checked the app and cant see it

Its not via revolut itself. It is by using revolut as a payment method, but setting your location (via VPN) and billing address to India when signing up. You then pay indian price.

I do think it could cause problems with your Google account itself - if you want to then purchase stuff on the play store and similar.

What is on YouTube that is worth paying for?

I’m not being snarky - honest question.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

What is on YouTube that is worth paying for?

I’m not being snarky - honest question.

Not much but Youtube Premium includes Youtube Music so no more need for spotify, deezer etc. as well as no ads and media playback while your phone screen is locked.

For the small price through a vpn it's worth it.

Not much but Youtube Premium includes Youtube Music so no more need for spotify, deezer etc. as well as no ads and media playback while your phone screen is locked.

For the small price through a vpn it's worth it.

I’ve never used those music services or Apple Music but we were subscribed to Amazon Music for a few months and I thought that was very good. Every album and song I looked for was there.

I was actually going to trial Apple Music before to see how it compares to Amazon before picking between them.

I had not considered any others. What is good about YouTube Music? And why do you need a VPN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

You could just use Youtube Vanced, if you are on android. Same effect (no ads, will play videos with screen off).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Is Elijah Woods expensive?

yes, he has a ferocious cocaine hobbit.

Advertisement