Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Danger781 wrote: »
    Any decent discount codes / bargains going at the moment? I've been lucky the last few times I've ordered coffee.

Give it a couple of hours until the Dublin lockdown is introduced and you'll see them pop up I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

The Nal wrote: »
    Give it a couple of hours until the Dublin lockdown is introduced and you'll see them pop up I'm sure.

West Cork Coffee have 10% off until Sunday night, code is "Natural"

Their stuff is great, if a little expensive (like them all I guess). The Nicaraguan one and Duromina are some of the best I've had.

rickyjb wrote: »
    West Cork Coffee have 10% off until Sunday night, code is "Natural"

Their stuff is great, if a little expensive (like them all I guess). The Nicaraguan one and Duromina are some of the best I've had.

Cheers. Ill go for 250g of each. Ordered.

How do you use your moka pot?

High heat for a quick draw or low heat for a longer drip?

I've found that on coarser coffees I've gotten that a lower heat (6/9) on my induction hob)) draws out a lot more flavour. So give that a bash. Takes longer, but definitely worth the wait.

I use boiling water usually purely for time saving reasons. The more important factors I find are to not compress the grounds too much and remove it from the heat early rather than late (before the brewed coffee coming out of the spout gets too light coloured).

For anyone who has a 3 cup Moka and an Aeropress, the Aeropress filters fit perfectly on the part with the rubber ring for a sediment free cup. Changes the flavour profile slightly as the filter removes some of the oils, makes a great americano with equal parts hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Should've read back and gotten their Burundian. Spectacular roast. I'll be ordering a bag now this evening.

• Advertisement

You're welcome, hope you enjoy!

The Duromina is very distinctive/unusal I thought, odd mixture of sweet/juicy and something almost savoury (I'm not good at describing taste).

I use boiling water usually purely for time saving reasons. The more important factors I find are to not compress the grounds too much and remove it from the heat early rather than late (before the brewed coffee coming out of the spout gets too light coloured).

I find using boiling water is a pain -almost literally- as you have a scalding hot metal tank to screw back on.

Moved into a new place this week so used the hob for the first time this morning and on a relatively high heat (5/6) gave me what I was used to on the longer draw I have had.

I fill the moka pot to the indent line on the inside of the "tank" so there should be no extra water really left over to be "light-coloured" from my experience.

You're welcome, hope you enjoy!

The Duromina is very distinctive/unusal I thought, odd mixture of sweet/juicy and something almost savoury (I'm not good at describing taste).

I like the sound of that. I have some of the Ethiopian Adado and while it is very lovely, as I've said above, it's not a coffee for the morning commute.

Should've read back and gotten their Burundian. Spectacular roast. I'll be ordering a bag now this evening.

Considering myself and the missus will likely be home for the foreseeable Ill get through these first and order up some Burundian next.

Considering myself and the missus will likely be home for the foreseeable Ill get through these first and order up some Burundian next.

DO!

Honestly, It's the business. They had an Indonesian a while back which was quite frankly the best coffee I've ever had.

I've just resorted to keep ordering from WCC at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

DO!

Honestly, It's the business. They had an Indonesian a while back which was quite frankly the best coffee I've ever had.

I've just resorted to keep ordering from WCC at this point.

I ordered a kilo of the Burundi from WCC to see what the fuss was about. it's very nice, but I'm not finding it better tasting than at least three other coffees I have recently got from another supplier, one of which is a blend of four different beans and is every bit as delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

https://www.spillerandtait.co.uk/collections/coffee-beans

I get my regular supply from this crowd.
    I use parcel motel and it all works out very reasonable.
    I love the signature and super crema blend.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I ordered a kilo of the Burundi from WCC to see what the fuss was about. it's very nice, but I'm not finding it better tasting than at least three other coffees I have recently got from another supplier, one of which is a blend of four different beans and is every bit as delicious.

Care to tell us about said supplier and coffee?

Anjunadeep wrote: »
    https://www.spillerandtait.co.uk/collections/coffee-beans

I get my regular supply from this crowd.
    I use parcel motel and it all works out very reasonable.
    I love the signature and super crema blend.

I can certainly trust the opinion of a man who knows his deep house :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Adams and russell are owned by an Irish crowd called greenbean whom I don't think I've ever heard of. They're Dundalk based though and I wouldn't be that direction often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Weepsie wrote: »
    Adams and russell are owned by an Irish crowd called greenbean whom I don't think I've ever heard of. They're Dundalk based though and I wouldn't be that direction often.

Got some beans from Green Bean recently was pleasantly surprised with the quality for the price I paid tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

They have a shop in Dundalk I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Weepsie wrote: »

I think from green bean website it says they are the commercial supplier side of "dream beans", I've used dream beans many times and find them quite good to be honest, they seem to have a permanent buy 4 pay for 3 with free delivery. They had a slightly wider range of coffee prior to March /April sort of time (and some of that was, in my opinion, much nicer than what's available now), but anyway I find them good. Roast date is always within about a day of order and delivery within maybe 2 or 3 days of order, to Dublin anyway.

I am not a coffee expert by any means, but have tried all the usual places that are mentioned on here. I would probably put the imbibe stuff ahead of dream beans (but it's a lot more expensive) and I'd put the dream beans stuff ahead of the likes of ponnaire /Bell Lane etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Got my 'Art of Coffee' delivery this morning.
    Make sure to give us an update on that Indonesian.

I forgot to circle back on this.. I was incredibly disappointed with my entire order. Could not get a decent cup from any of the beans. In fact everything pretty much tasted the same which was baffling to me. The Nina blend (Burundi + Indonesian) sounded like an amazing combo on paper but it tasted awful. Tried French Press and Aeropress but either ended up with bitterness or bland tasting coffee. I've had nicer cups from the Aldi pre-ground Ethiopian stuff.

I usually follow Stumptown recipe for the Aeropress as it's generally pretty reliable, but couldn't get a decent cup. Normally this is my old reliable 'decent' cup of coffee regardless of what beans I use, but this even turned out crap.

I've been following James Hoffmans method for the French Press with my previous beans and it usually turns out pretty OK. After re-watching his video he mentioned that his method was targeted more towards lighter roasts, which I missed first time round, and for darker roasts you should either grind coarser and / or reduce water temp. After much experimenting I think I found a setting that at least removed some of the astringent bitterness by grinding 2 clicks from the coarsest setting and letting the water sit for a minute or two post-boil before brewing. My previous beans were about 6 clicks from the coarsest settings and straight off the boil.

Looking at the beans I did not think these were a dark roast, but they certainly follow the characteristics of a dark roast.

Honestly even the smell of the coffee after it's been brewed is just unpleasant.. I've never experienced that before.

Even if they were discounted, I won't be ordering from Art of Coffee again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

I forgot to circle back on this.. I was incredibly disappointed with my entire order. Could not get a decent cup from any of the beans. In fact everything pretty much tasted the same which was baffling to me. The Nina blend (Burundi + Indonesian) sounded like an amazing combo on paper but it tasted awful. Tried French Press and Aeropress but either ended up with bitterness or bland tasting coffee. I've had nicer cups from the Aldi pre-ground Ethiopian stuff.

I usually follow Stumptown recipe for the Aeropress as it's generally pretty reliable, but couldn't get a decent cup. Normally this is my old reliable 'decent' cup of coffee regardless of what beans I use, but this even turned out crap.

I've been following James Hoffmans method for the French Press with my previous beans and it usually turns out pretty OK. After re-watching his video he mentioned that his method was targeted more towards lighter roasts, which I missed first time round, and for darker roasts you should either grind coarser and / or reduce water temp. After much experimenting I think I found a setting that at least removed some of the astringent bitterness by grinding 2 clicks from the coarsest setting and letting the water sit for a minute or two post-boil before brewing. My previous beans were about 6 clicks from the coarsest settings and straight off the boil.

Looking at the beans I did not think these were a dark roast, but they certainly follow the characteristics of a dark roast.

Honestly even the smell of the coffee after it's been brewed is just unpleasant.. I've never experienced that before.

Even if they were discounted, I won't be ordering from Art of Coffee again.

I had that Nina blend recently and was equally unimpressed.
    I actually took the beans out of my machine so I could put in my new delivery from Spiller & Tait. Think the Nina beans will be going in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I got a Kg of Fusion blend from Art of coffee. Its actually lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

mad m wrote: »
    I got a Kg of Fusion blend from Art of coffee. Its actually lovely.

Yeah, it's my regular, I can order and collect. I always come back to this one

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Ordered Euro, Indian & Con' blends from Ponaire.

Will see how they are when they arrive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Got the Indian last week and thought it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Slattsy wrote: »
    Got the Indian last week and thought it was lovely.

One of my local coffee shops uses their Indian. I'll put it in my next order.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

One of my local coffee shops uses their Indian. I'll put it in my next order.

I'm useless at describing coffee, but I got a lovely smokey hint off it. Really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Put in the exact order myself last week. All produce a nice full bodied coffee but nothing outstanding. Perfect for a morning coffee to get you going

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

stuchyg wrote: »
    Put in the exact order myself last week. All produce a nice full bodied coffee but nothing outstanding. Perfect for a morning coffee to get you going

What's your best finds of late?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

What's your best finds of late?

Ps roasters stuff does be v good. Bailies too barring the issues with roasting. The nota is very good for a morning brew.

I tend to want something with a bit of heft in the morning and then a fruitier cup in the afternoon

Advertisement