Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

keith_d99 wrote: »
    My goto bean for years ... try other roasts from other suppliers every now and again but always go back.

The price (and free delivery to boot is a bonus)

Have you tried any of the single origin stuff? Anything you’d recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

My WCC order has arrived in Dublin. I'm in Sligo. This is annoying. Tbf to DPD GLS they'll just call tomorrow and it'll land.

---
    Edit: brainfart, I meant GLS.

Arrived at 9:55.

Woohoo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Slattsy wrote: »
    Ponaire Coffee. My new go to. Will probably get a sub.

All three of these stunning.

glad you liked it (esp as i recommended it). they are doing some lovely coffee at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

I'm using the the ponaire European blend this morning in my delonghi 4200 from the bargain thread. Fairly basic machine but have it on very fine on my grinder at about 2/10 1 being the finest and the crema and taste out of 60 ml double I pull out of the max amount of beans(I should try weighing this and come back) Is the best I've done so far with this machine.
    I've tried a fair few brands also (but am a complete novice) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

what's the roast like on that Ponaire? Dark, medium? also, what does the coffee taste like, everyone says it's nice, but that isn't much info really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

This morning I'm trying ponaire connoisseur blend on my sage barista express. Grind setting 3/18. 18g in 32g out. Very impressed so far. The aftertaste has lingered all morning.

I also picked up a bag of european blend. Roast date Aug 28th. I'll wait a couple of days before trying.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Bailies sub arrived

Roasted on 28/8

so should be about ready to drink

what's the roast like on that Ponaire? Dark, medium? also, what does the coffee taste like, everyone says it's nice, but that isn't much info really?

The European blend would be on the darker side of medium.

Perfect for a milk based drink.

It’s a low acidity, full bodied day to day drinking espresso.

Nothing unusual / interesting about it imo but that’s not a bad thing. It knows what it’s trying to be and does a good job of it.

If you’re looking for a really complex filter style bean this is not it.

I haven’t made one yet but I’m sure it’d make a perfectly acceptable cup of filter but it ain’t going to give you the type of cup let’s say that a single origin would.

yeah sound, I don't usually make espresso.

thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

The European blend would be on the darker side of medium.

Perfect for a milk based drink.

It’s a low acidity, full bodied day to day drinking espresso.

Nothing unusual / interesting about it imo but that’s not a bad thing. It knows what it’s trying to be and does a good job of it.

If you’re looking for a really complex filter style bean this is not it.

I haven’t made one yet but I’m sure it’d make a perfectly acceptable cup of filter but it ain’t going to give you the type of cup let’s say that a single origin would.
    Agree with the above completely I really mellow smooth cup of coffee I get a hint of chocolate off. I pull the double sized shot and add a little hot water and find it really smooth and subtle to drink away a cup or two a day while working on the laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Well I'm convinced. This place is bad for my wallet.

Ordered the European Blend an hour ago and already had shipping confirmation from DPD. Looking forward to trying it.

would be great if a supplier gave a Boards code or something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

I got a bag of the European blend yesterday as a gift. It was already ground and I was using it in a moka pot. The grind size was prob just a little too coarse but I wasn't mad about the taste of the coffee from it. Not a very fair test though.

Raoul wrote: »
    I got a bag of the European blend yesterday as a gift. It was already ground and I was using it in a moka pot. The grind size was prob just a little too coarse but I wasn't mad about the taste of the coffee from it. Not a very fair test though.

How do you use your moka pot?

High heat for a quick draw or low heat for a longer drip?

I've found that on coarser coffees I've gotten that a lower heat (6/9) on my induction hob)) draws out a lot more flavour. So give that a bash. Takes longer, but definitely worth the wait.

How do you use your moka pot?

High heat for a quick draw or low heat for a longer drip?

I've found that on coarser coffees I've gotten that a lower heat (6/9) on my induction hob)) draws out a lot more flavour. So give that a bash. Takes longer, but definitely worth the wait.

Most people use it wrong is the problem.

https://youtu.be/rpyBYuu-wJI

Not sure will that link work but just YouTube James Hoffman Mokka pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I'm not overly happy with James either.

But I'm sure he knows more than I.

Dropping the lid that quick would force the steam back down on the coffee no?

Apart from that it looked ok :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

limnam wrote: »
    I'm not overly happy with James either.

But I'm sure he knows more than I.

Dropping the lid that quick would force the steam back down on the coffee no?

Apart from that it looked ok :pac:

I've been doing it this way the last few months since I saw his original video. Have a moka pot in work. The difference in how good the coffee was from how I had been doing it was amazing.

Yeah, that's on option as well.

I found that it's not an "across the board" solution with the Moka pot. Each coffee, as you would expect with other machines as well, needs different treatment.

The key, no matter what is to remove from heat as it nears the "gurgle" otherwise you're burning coffee and getting those burnt flavours in your brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but I had a scroll through the last few pages and couldn't find an answer.

Can someone recommend an inexpensive whole bean coffee? I've been continually buying from the main supermarkets and feel I'm not making the most of my coffee breaks!

I've a hand grinder and french press, if that's a factor.

Tend to go for a medium to strong coffee, but don't ask me what "cupping notes" I'm after as I am a bit of a novice when it comes to selecting beans!

You can still get a kilo of Cloud Picker Sam's for 25 quid. That's probably a good start if inexpensive is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

VonLuck wrote: »
    I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but I had a scroll through the last few pages and couldn't find an answer.

Can someone recommend an inexpensive whole bean coffee? I've been continually buying from the main supermarkets and feel I'm not making the most of my coffee breaks!

I've a hand grinder and french press, if that's a factor.

Tend to go for a medium to strong coffee, but don't ask me what "cupping notes" I'm after as I am a bit of a novice when it comes to selecting beans!

Some of the Ponaire blends are quite cheap and free delivery but I haven't tried them myself.

With coffee I find it's not always you get what you pay for as such (like you may prefer a €30/kg bean to a €40/kg bean), but there does tend to be a threshold - freshly roasted beans of most kind tend to be better than prepacked I find, and the latter cost more - in and around €22-28/kg at the lower end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Weepsie wrote: »
    You can still get a kilo of Cloud Picker Sam's for 25 quid. That's probably a good start if inexpensive is important.

I didn't find that great to be honest, that could just be me though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I've been doing it this way the last few months since I saw his original video. Have a moka pot in work. The difference in how good the coffee was from how I had been doing it was amazing.

Yeah it's pretty much how I do it too.

Del007 wrote: »
    I didn't find that great to be honest, that could just be me though

There's definitely better. If you're feeling adventerous, and have a heat gun, you can buy raw beans fairly cheap and roast your own.

I gave it a go recenetly. The coffee wasn't terrible, and I've bought worse.

I've had 2 bags from upside recently (one from Peru) and another I can't recall. Both excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There's definitely better. If you're feeling adventerous, and have a heat gun, you can buy raw means fairly cheap and roast your own.

I gave it a go recenetly. The coffee wasn't terrible, and I've bought worse.

I've had 2 bags from upside recently (one from Peru) and another I can't recall. Both excellent.

I wonder would a popcorn maker roast beans?

Edit: Should have looked on Youtube first - of course you can.

As I am a morning Café au lait/Americano man, I moved back from the WCC Ethiopian to the Burundi.

I had persisted with the Ethiopian, but it's too fruity for my mornings and is more suited to a brunchy/lazy drip coffee. Still gorgeous, but not one for the car in the morning.

Just received an Ethopian from B&D this morning, very nice indeed and less than 11 quid for the bag is pretty good value

also took a bag of their house blend "Blackwater" will give that a blast in the afternoon

Just received an Ethopian from B&D this morning, very nice indeed and less than 11 quid for the bag is pretty good value

also took a bag of their house blend "Blackwater" will give that a blast in the afternoon

Blackwater was the standard B&D back in the day that made me realise what decent coffee roasting was.

I must grab a bag of it soon enough. Been a while since this WFH nonsense has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Can't wait to get my hands on the Imbibe September beans. Might be my last Coffee Club order of the year as I'm back to college full-time in 2 weeks.

Panama: Ninety Plus (Drima Zede)
    Varietal: Caturra
    Process: Temperature Controlled Fermentation
    Altitude: 1250-1450 MASL
    Tasting Notes: Dark Chocolate, Fig, Clove

Guatemala: Blue Ayarza Vinoso
    Varietal: Catuai, Anacafe 14, Pache, Bourbon
    Process: Washed
    Altitude: 1400 - 2000 MAS
    Tasting Notes: Raspberry, Red Currant, Biscuit

Probably wasted on me, but anything I've had from the club so far has been exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Any decent discount codes / bargains going at the moment? I've been lucky the last few times I've ordered coffee.

Advertisement