Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options
1676869707173»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

In all the time I've posted on this thread, I've never put 2+2 together there.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I've recently purchased from Watermark, their coffees are priced well, but they are not the freshest. I ordered a 1938 and celest, both were about 2 months old, I had sent an email saying only to send beans that were fresh and I don't mind having to wait a week or two. When I got the order, , I was disappointed, so I rang them, they were good about it and sent 2 more bags, but these bags were 3 weeks old, they are fine, they taste ok, but not near the high end of artessa or some other roasters. They are good value.

I've had some of their other coffees before, and they were fresher, but I had to ring and specifically request 'fresh only'.

All in all, good beans at a cheaper price than what you'd get in Aldi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Ok, I'll try here. Bought this. Without question the best coffee I have ever tasted (not claiming to be a total expert)

I want to order 1kg of this but Lismore only sell 200g. Anyone know where I could do this, or else something very close to this?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Are they washed? natural process? honey?

What elevation are they grown at?

Why do roasters insist on giving minimal information on the beans they are selling, it makes me suspicious.

The best thing you can do here is shop around the usual coffee roasters and see if any of them have;

• a. an El Salvador coffee
    • b. a Central American coffee (Honduras, Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua, maybe Costa Rica but that's a bit further south
    • c. a coffee they say tastes like this Dark Chocolate, Vanilla and Lime. As this is what Lismore are claiming the one you like tastes like

Also, it's 10.50 for 200kg, which is just over 13eur for 250g, in case other roasters are selling the more usual 250g bags that you see, in case you are comparing prices on other websites.

I can't recall if washed, natural or honey. There was nothing suspicious about these as I bought them a few times and no other coffee has tasted so good. Not just my opinion but opinion of visitors and family.

Thank you for your advice. I will shop around with the information I have. I don't mind paying a little extra for quality.

• Advertisement

I'm a huge advocate of people drinking what they like, but the overall lack of information on the pack or website makes me very suspicious indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It says on the Lismore page the beans are from Urrutias Estate. Working from that you should be able to find something...

I typed Urrutias Estate as part of my google search but I did not find that link. Thank you!

I emailed a few places with the clues and Bearmarket replied with this:https://www.bearmarket.ie/collections/coffee/products/el-salvador-el-manzo-christmas

So a few things - they are certainly El Salvador, and they are certainly Single Origin, the only thing I'd be wary of is they state on that page that those beans are an "espresso" roast - meaning they are medium-dark to dark roasted. Now, your own Lismore coffee is described as Dark Chocolate tasting, which may point to a darker roast too.

The Bear Market also mentions Honey process - have you had Natural or Honey coffees before? They do taste quite a bit different and roasted/brewed well do maintain some of the flavour of the fermented mucilage - this is what makes them attractive to people who enjoy that flavour. How it marries with an espresso roast would be a concern for me though.

The Lismore beans come from the estate linked in the other post, but not necessarily the same grower or process.

Take a chance, it's only 13 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

So it certainly sounds as if some people know their beans round here .What would you recommend for a pourover lover who likes plum /fig/prune /red fruit kinda stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Im currently using the Lidl/Bradys and the not quite as good Aldi /Velo as basics and just finished a Bell Lane Johan Veraga as my 'nice one' .Sometimes i 'blend'/mix them to vary with not unexpectedly inbetween results

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'm in this space too and have to say a love a good peruvian bean - they can often be very plummy. But depends on the region so check out the tasting notes

Can't go wrong with WCC, Badger & Dodo, Bear Mrkt, Full Circle or Cloudpicker imo

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Hi, we have a Sage Barista Express and are struggling to find a coffee we both love. Would anyone recommend a site that does a good variety deal please? It's a minefield! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 14 davissgurban

• Registered Users Posts: 4 StandardBasisVector

I'm new to this thread (sorry if this is just a repeat of a question already). Anybody have any roaster suggestions for me. I brew V60,Timeore B75 and sometimes aeropress. I'm a fan of Imbibe, Sumo (bit overpriced tbh tho), Bailies and Coffee Angel. A roaster I'm not particularly fond of is 3FE (It seems like they roast a good bit darker then the other ones I've mentioned and by the time I dial in a 3FE coffee it's pretty average at best) I've had a few coffees from these roasters and just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for other roasters to try.

I an a big fan of the west cork coffee, bear market, full circle coffee and red strand coffee single origins. Badger & dodo are also very good

I usually hop around depending on offers and discount codes as well as subs if they are good value

Thanks I'm going to have a look at these ones. I've actually had a coffee from bear market before that I really did not enjoy. However it was a Kenyan which I've learnt now that I just am not a fan of. Their batch brews in their coffee shops are usually great though so I must give their coffees another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I haven't been able to pull myself away from ordering Ponaire coffee the last while. Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

When I do buy beans (rarely, as I home roast), I would buy a natural-processed coffee from 3fe, and they are always a light roast. I'd suggest giving their natural coffees a pop if you like sweet, fruity floral notes.

Tbh 3FE is the roaster I am probably most familiar with. I had a biweekly subscription with them for about 3-4 months and I would say about half of their coffees are disappointing - their coffees are definitely a few notches darker than what I got from Bailies, Imbibe and Sumo. I even tried a more expensive natural 3FE coffee recently one of the ones they sold in 125g for about 11 euro (El Limoncillo, Nicargua), it was really just OK, definitely not worth it's money.

• Advertisement

I think in the early days 3FE were out there on their own as pioneers of great coffee (and are still maybe trading off that reputation as being the best) but now a lot of others have caught up with them and offer more competitive pricing too. They are still quality but there are lots of excellent sources now imo. I think Ireland is a good place for coffee tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Weren’t they using Bailies’s rebranded coffee at the start or am I confusing them with Coffeeangel?

It is a good time for coffee lovers anyway, so many good quality coffee around, hard to choose really, same goes for the Whiskey, a lots of new local distilleries making exceptional Single Malt for competitive price.

Think they used Hasbean at first, could be wrong

I believe that was coffeeangel using bailies yeah.

Advertisement