Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Connoisseur Blend. Give it a bash

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Darrener

Ethiopia - Halo Beriti..Will give it a blast tomorrow morning and let you know what I think..Finishing off their Burundi today which is delicious ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Picked up a bag of coffee collectives kieni this morn. Not exactly cheap at 15 for the 250 (but cheaper than getting it direct). My bag is roasted in the last week too so it must have been out straight on a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

mad m wrote: »
    Connoisseur Blend. Give it a bash

Oh aye. Got some last week. It's lovely. Exactly what I want in a blend of a morning. Very happy with it.
    Darrener wrote: »
    Ethiopia - Halo Beriti..Will give it a blast tomorrow morning and let you know what I think..Finishing off their Burundi today which is delicious ðŸ‘

Finished my Burundi off yesterday. Best coffee outside of the Indonesian I have gotten from WCC. I'll be grabbing another bag, at the end of the month, if it's still there.

Let us know what the Halo Beriti is like.

As I said before on here, their Adado is very fruity and not one for a morning cup imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Here's mine and barring minor tweaks I always get a very good cup
    • 60g/litre of beans (I use 15g and the aero takes 250ml water)
    • medium-fine grind (I use notch 11 of 30 on my Encore)
    • Light & Medium roast beans I use water right off the boil
    • Inverted Method
    • first thing I do is add about 30-35ml water and stir vigorously
    • once 45 seconds has elapsed from the start of the pour I top up with the rest of the water, and put on the filter and cap
    • 2 minute steep
    • Press in 45 seconds

I have a routine on my echo dot/alexa where I tell it to start the coffee timer and then it tells me to do each stage.

This is great and starting to get good results on it. Could I just get your input on two of the steps you do, if you don't mind?
    By vigorously, would this be 5-6 stirs or so
    When you say 2 minute steep, would this be total time to include the 45 second bloom or 2 mins after the bloom phase.

I was on the verge of giving up on my AP but this has re-invigorated me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

For the stirring I do 7 clockwise and 7 anticlockwise, and do make it vigorous, not a slow stir

2 mins after the bloom phase, so total contact time of 2.45 plus the 45 second press - the press time is crucial too, just minimal pressure and it will move slowly. I've found that doing it too fast is not optimal.

what beans have you been using? I know people say that Aero can make any coffee taste nice, I don't agree with that really, but it can make "ok" beans taste better than other methods - but if the beans are bad quality you will get bad quality coffee no matter what you do.

Since stumbling on that method, I've had Bailies, 3FE, B&D, Bell Lane and WCC in mine, plus the beans from my local coffee shop and some Java Rep ones too - all have been good to great

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

For the stirring I do 7 clockwise and 7 anticlockwise, and do make it vigorous, not a slow stir

2 mins after the bloom phase, so total contact time of 2.45 plus the 45 second press - the press time is crucial too, just minimal pressure and it will move slowly. I've found that doing it too fast is not optimal.

what beans have you been using? I know people say that Aero can make any coffee taste nice, I don't agree with that really, but it can make "ok" beans taste better than other methods - but if the beans are bad quality you will get bad quality coffee no matter what you do.

Since stumbling on that method, I've had Bailies, 3FE, B&D, Bell Lane and WCC in mine, plus the beans from my local coffee shop and some Java Rep ones too - all have been good to great

Great thanks for that. Oddly, I've gotten the press time spot on each time.

Currently using Cloudpicker Sam and picked up a bag of Squaremile Red Brick last week. Generally shop between Cloudpicker, B&D, Bell Lane and occassionally WCC and SM.

yeah, Red Brick was one I had in it too, but I mostly made espresso with it (because it's sold as an espresso blend)

It's one of my favourite coffees

not had Sam yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

10% off Bailies Subscriptions, valid till the 20th of October.
    COFFEESUBLOVE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

mbroaders wrote: »
    COFFEESUBLOVE

Just placed an order Monday, balls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

stuchyg wrote: »
    Just placed an order Monday, balls

Could try email them? Worth a go.

Opened up the Ponaire Indian blend to stick in the canister as I finished the Connoisseur blend this morning, Wowee. It smells unreal. Chocolatey and malty. Looking forward to tomorrow morning's brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

mbroaders wrote: »
    COFFEESUBLOVE

Works ... just wondering if you have to pay for the whole sub up front (to get the full discount) .... or will they apply it for each shipment?

tbh I won't be going back to them for a sub, this years coffees have been ok to good - never really excellent.

Going to go with B&D for 6 months next time I renew (sept) as the ones I've had from them have been very nice.

in saying that I've just ordered some B&D Fairy Floss Blend (2 ethopian coffees) and a Ugandan single origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Opened up the Ponaire Indian blend to stick in the canister as I finished the Connoisseur blend this morning, Wowee. It smells unreal. Chocolatey and malty. Looking forward to tomorrow morning's brew.

I am buying quite a few coffees from India and they are all consistently impressive. The foothills of the Himalayas have rich soil, high rainfall and it's a case of 'how much altitude would the gentleman prefer?'.

Top that with plentiful cheap labour and it has all the ingredients for coffee success.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Got some ponaire to try out myself.

How do you figure out roast date?

Mine just has "October 2020"

G rock wrote: »
    Got some ponaire to try out myself.

How do you figure out roast date?

Mine just has "October 2020"

It's usually within a day or so of your despatch to be fair to them.

Email then and they usually will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

@BonnieSituation

That Connoisseur blend is very nice. Dark, rich and nice after taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Have a connoisseur blend too. Gonna open the yirgacheffe first though I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Back to Ponaire for another order tomorrow. Have tried 6 different blends and all beautiful so far. Glad to see other people enjoying the Indian, its smashing.

The Connoisseur blend seems to be getting decent reviews so I'll certainly be grabbing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Just noticed regular delivery for a bag of coffee from Rave UK is £13

I think it's time to shop local that's crazy 😅

mad m wrote: »
    @BonnieSituation

That Connoisseur blend is very nice. Dark, rich and nice after taste.

Isn't it just?

For me it's the quintessential morning coffee and exactly what I've been after.

Though we'll see what the Indian blend has up its sleeve in the morning.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Back to Ponaire for another order tomorrow. Have tried 6 different blends and all beautiful so far. Glad to see other people enjoying the Indian, its smashing.

The Connoisseur blend seems to be getting decent reviews so I'll certainly be grabbing that.

I think you'll have to chief. It's lovely stuff.

Cheers for the Indian recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Am I remembering incorrectly or did Ponaire used to do free shipping for 1kg bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Am I remembering incorrectly or did Ponaire used to do free shipping for 1kg bags?

Used to be free shipping over 500g I think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Latest Ponaire order gone in. I went for:

Connoisseur blend (500g) on foot of some good reviews
    Brazil Bob o link (250g) because its new
    Peruvian (250g) looks like i'll like the profile

I find 1kg lasts me approx a month. I just checked and my last order was on the 7th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Ok...on Ponaire website. Have Indian and connoisseur in basket.....can someone suggest another coffee?

( Bean to cup machine)

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Ok...on Ponaire website. Have Indian and connoisseur in basket.....can someone suggest another coffee?

( Bean to cup machine)

Cheers!!

I ordered those two yesterday and added the Mexican Jaguar as I haven't tried it before. I normally get the Sumatra which is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Darrener

Oh aye. Got some last week. It's lovely. Exactly what I want in a blend of a morning. Very happy with it.

Finished my Burundi off yesterday. Best coffee outside of the Indonesian I have gotten from WCC. I'll be grabbing another bag, at the end of the month, if it's still there.

Let us know what the Halo Beriti is like.

As I said before on here, their Adado is very fruity and not one for a morning cup imo.

The Halo Bereti is extremely good. Early days yet but so far I prefer it to the Burundi..I think it could be my new go to coffee ☕

Advertisement