Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

limnam wrote: »
    Surprising considering they use GLS

I was equally surprised when GLS delivered mine on time. I conclude they have at last started using eircodes. Perhaps one day, Fedex will even start using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    Great stuff. Nicest coffee I've had in a long time.

Lovely smell from each of them. The sumatran especially.

limnam wrote: »
    Surprising considering they use GLS
    cnocbui wrote: »
    I was equally surprised when GLS delivered mine on time. I conclude they have at last started using eircodes. Perhaps one day, Fedex will even start using them.

I have never had an issue with any of my many orders from WCC either to Dublin or the sticks of Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have never had an issue with any of my many orders from WCC either to Dublin or the sticks of Sligo.

My comment was directed at GLS - based on past problems with their inability to perform their core function - not WCC.

cnocbui wrote: »
    My comment was directed at GLS - based on past problems with their inability to perform their core function - not WCC.

I know. I'm pointing out how I've never had a problem with GLS, despite their major handicap, which is being GLS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Looking at ordering. Any recommendations from McCabes in Wicklow or Ponaire

Opened up the Connoisseur Blend from Ponaire yesterday morning. It's very nice. It's exactly what I was hoping for. It's not too rich and exactly the sort of coffee you can have a few of during the morning.

Will be straight into the rotation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Put an order in for Ponaire last night about 11 o clock. Woke up to a DPD email this morning saying my coffee was dispatched :eek:
    Went for the European blend and Peru Single Origin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I really like the bags the WCC stuff comes in. The reseal bit is great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Synode wrote: »
    I really like the bags the WCC stuff comes in. The reseal bit is great

is this resealable type of bag not standard with all roasters?

B&D, 3FE and Bailies all have resealable bags

• Advertisement

Ponaire don't which is annoying.

But I have this...

https://ineedcoffee.com/moka-pot-coffee-dispenser-review/

So my coffee goes straight in there. Class yoke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They should all be resealable, compostable bags if at all possible. i'd use old oes to put grounds into then and keep them for the garden.

Weepsie wrote: »
    They should all be resealable, compostable bags if at all possible. i'd use old oes to put grounds into then and keep them for the garden.

Agreed on the compostable. I can get over resealable with a clip on the bag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

if you buy green beans you can roast them in your oven

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x1wBsf6bCnw

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

for the last 7 months I've been using rave for fresh roasted bean coffee subscription with an aeropress and burr grinder. If you've not used an aeropress before, it literally unlocked a whole new level of coffee tasting for me. https://ravecoffee.co.uk/pages/coffee-subscription

The aeropress makes any coffee taste good when prepared right, although I did try some bulletproof coffee once from amazon and my god it tasted like battery acid with like 200mg of caffeine in...

bobbyy gee wrote: »

That's a level of faff I'm never gonna be bothered with.

That's a level of faff I'm never gonna be bothered with.

Agreed, literally some people will spend 30 minutes in the morning preparing and making their cup of coffee... I dont think I'll reach that level of pretending I can tell the difference :D

bobbyy gee wrote: »

You can also use a heat gun, colander, pot and stir it a lot. I recently roasted 400g of beans. Didn't turn out too bad at all. Got 800 g for a tenner so was worth a go

You can also use a heat gun, colander, pot and stir it a lot. I recently roasted 400g of beans. Didn't turn out too bad at all. Got 800 g for a tenner so was worth a go

Do they taste different to ones from actual roasters? I think I prefer trying a new bag every month for different flavours and origins tbh but each to their own, you probably saving more money doing it your way

It tasted like some beans I got from some place in town years ago (a tea place, near accents, that let you buy beans from various jars). Can't remember it's name, used to go for their huge variety of teas though.

It's also like some beans from Maher's in Cork. Can't remember which ones now, but my old boss used to bring them into work frequently

Very nutty taste profile I'd say, probably why I didn't dislike it.

Bit hard to grind though. It was my first go, I possibly had to much heat on them at times, and not enough others. I'd give it a go again, but not something I'd be doing too often.

I shop around myself, switch between online or buy from cafes or certain shops (lotts & co, Fallon & Byrne) etc.

A friend owns a cafe of some reknown too so just buy what he's selling now and again as it's generally excellent. I pass 2 3fes a day, 2 cloudpicker locations, 1 coffee angel, 1 selling bell lane, another doing silver skin and another doing upside and ristretto. Fairly well sorted for choice just between my front door and work (helps that I'm on a bike)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Picked up a kilo of Lost Highway from Dark Arts Coffee in It's a Trap on denmark street, one of the nicest espresso blends I've had in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It tasted like some beans I got from some place in town years ago (a tea place, near accents, that let you buy beans from various jars). Can't remember it's name, used to go for their huge variety of teas though.

It's also like some beans from Maher's in Cork. Can't remember which ones now, but my old boss used to bring them into work frequently

Very nutty taste profile I'd say, probably why I didn't dislike it.

Bit hard to grind though. It was my first go, I possibly had to much heat on them at times, and not enough others. I'd give it a go again, but not something I'd be doing too often.

I shop around myself, switch between online or buy from cafes or certain shops (lotts & co, Fallon & Byrne) etc.

A friend owns a cafe of some reknown too so just buy what he's selling now and again as it's generally excellent. I pass 2 3fes a day, 2 cloudpicker locations, 1 coffee angel, 1 selling bell lane, another doing silver skin and another doing upside and ristretto. Fairly well sorted for choice just between my front door and work (helps that I'm on a bike)

Clement & Pekoe?

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Clement & Pekoe?

It was Oolong which is now closed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

pinking wrote: »
    for the last 7 months I've been using rave for fresh roasted bean coffee subscription with an aeropress and burr grinder. If you've not used an aeropress before, it literally unlocked a whole new level of coffee tasting for me. https://ravecoffee.co.uk/pages/coffee-subscription

The aeropress makes any coffee taste good when prepared right, although I did try some bulletproof coffee once from amazon and my god it tasted like battery acid with like 200mg of caffeine in...

I'd love to know your technique / recipe for the Aeropress. I've been frustrated and often disappointed with my Aeropress to the point that I've reverted back to using my French Press following James Hoffman's method. I'm struggling to get a 'nice' cup and I find I have to begin tweaking all over again whenever I get new bag of beans. Whereas the French Press with my current settings works perfectly +/- 2 clicks on my grinder depending on the roast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Danger781 wrote: »
    I'd love to know your technique / recipe for the Aeropress. I've been frustrated and often disappointed with my Aeropress to the point that I've reverted back to using my French Press following James Hoffman's method. I'm struggling to get a 'nice' cup and I find I have to begin tweaking all over again whenever I get new bag of beans. Whereas the French Press with my current settings works perfectly +/- 2 clicks on my grinder depending on the roast.

Here's mine and barring minor tweaks I always get a very good cup
    • 60g/litre of beans (I use 15g and the aero takes 250ml water)
    • medium-fine grind (I use notch 11 of 30 on my Encore)
    • Light & Medium roast beans I use water right off the boil
    • Inverted Method
    • first thing I do is add about 30-35ml water and stir vigorously
    • once 45 seconds has elapsed from the start of the pour I top up with the rest of the water, and put on the filter and cap
    • 2 minute steep
    • Press in 45 seconds

I have a routine on my echo dot/alexa where I tell it to start the coffee timer and then it tells me to do each stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Here's mine and barring minor tweaks I always get a very good cup
    • 60g/litre of beans (I use 15g and the aero takes 250ml water)
    • medium-fine grind (I use notch 11 of 30 on my Encore)
    • Light & Medium roast beans I use water right off the boil
    • Inverted Method
    • first thing I do is add about 30-35ml water and stir vigorously
    • once 45 seconds has elapsed from the start of the pour I top up with the rest of the water, and put on the filter and cap
    • 2 minute steep
    • Press in 45 seconds

I have a routine on my echo dot/alexa where I tell it to start the coffee timer and then it tells me to do each stage.

I've been using this method since you shared it with me and it's been pretty foolproof!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Butson

Anyone tried these?

Cheap and ground I know, but buy 1 get 1 free:

https://www.discountcoffee.ie/coffee/ground-coffee/ground-coffee-cases?price=-18

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Darrener

Ordered from WCC on Wed night .. Received in Dublin this morning (Friday) with a roast date of yesterday (Thursday)..Great service ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Darrener wrote: »
    Ordered from WCC on Wed night .. Received in Dublin this morning (Friday) with a roast date of yesterday (Thursday)..Great service ðŸ‘

Ordered from Ponaire Wednesday evening, delivered before lunch today.Roast date 28th Sept. Great service

• Advertisement

Can't fault WCC or Ponaire really.

What did you guys order?

Advertisement